• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It was the Badge Arcade that really pushed her. Even got a costume party on par with Shantae's... including Monster Hunter!

View attachment 188636

These two would make an interesting match honestly. I don't know if Ashley's magic would be considered dark in Shantae's setting, but Ashley has always wanted friends despite having trouble expressing it, and it's hard to ask for a better friend than Shantae.

I wouldn't go so far as to say second party for the relationship between Wayforward (it's not just Shantae, the Mighty series also thrived on the 3DS) and Nintendo just yet... but if the day ever comes where the two collaborate...
And they both seem to like ponytails(Or twintails in Ashley's case), so they can bond on that at least.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And they both seem to like ponytails(Or twintails in Ashley's case), so they can bond on that at least.
One interesting parallel they share is that they both know transformation magic, with the difference lying in who it targets (Shantae does it to herself, Ashley to others). Also, Ashley may have dabbled in dance magic herself if Smooth Moves is anything to go by; initially she scoffs at the idea of the Form Baton and it's motions having utility over her traditional magic, but then she uses it to create a giant carnivorous plant.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It'd be nice if Ashley could get promoted to a character.
Imagine both ashley and shantae, now that'd be awesome. :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I agree. We would get more female reps, more magic reps, some unique moveset potential, etc. The list goes on for a while.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe they need to figure out how many of WarioWare's secondary cast should take priority, first. There hasn't been a surefire candidate for a "second roster pick" for this series like one would assume for something like Yoshi or Sonic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ehhhh. She still shows up on consoles other than Nintendo currently, so she's no Bayonetta level of "3rd party" like you're suggesting there.
Yeah but until HGH, the only other places she showed up on was mobile phones and PCs.

Although it's not like she fared better in sales on other consoles than on Nintendo hardware anyways (especially with them pushing for Nindies).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Maybe they need to figure out how many of WarioWare's secondary cast should take priority, first. There hasn't been a surefire candidate for a "second roster pick" for this series like one would assume for something like Yoshi or Sonic.
The Badge Arcade Bunny says outright that Ashley is ''by far the most popular character in Warioware'' (besides Wario himself). And of all the Warioware spirits, the only Legend, besides, again, Wario(-Man) is Ashley. It's not even a contest; Ashley has everyone in Warioware beat in popularity. I think the only thing holding her back at this point is just Nintendo not being sure exactly what they want to do with her outside of being a Warioware cast member.

Yeah but until HGH, the only other places she showed up on was mobile phones and PCs.

Although it's not like she fared better in sales on other consoles than on Nintendo hardware anyways (especially with them pushing for Nindies).
Plus, these were the dark ages of the Wii U. No matter how friendly you were with Nintendo, you'd have to be crazy to make an exclusive for only that platform if you wanted to make a profit.

Then again, the software droughts the Wii U frequently experienced are likely at least partially responsible for Nintendo pushing indies the way they did in the first place...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Badge Arcade Bunny says outright that Ashley is ''by far the most popular character in Warioware'' (besides Wario himself). And of all the Warioware spirits, the only Legend, besides, again, Wario(-Man) is Ashley. It's not even a contest; Ashley has everyone in Warioware beat in popularity. I think the only thing holding her back at this point is just Nintendo not being sure exactly what they want to do with her outside of being a Warioware cast member.
Well, one thing for sure is, Sakurai hasn't budged on Ashley one iota, and her overexposure fatigue is steadily causing Nintendo to try and give the other characters a bit more promotion, from the looks of Gold's overall marketing.
It's telling that she wasn't even put in Mario Kart, which :ultisabelle: had absolutely no problems showing up for as a heavily-marketed character herself.

They know they're going nowhere with her, and fast.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

If that were the case then Phoenix Wright's chances would be shining brighter than ever. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to really secure them chances. If it were a Bayonetta case where she's strictly Nintendo, then heck yeah, Nintendo would benefit from that. But as of now, Nintendo aren't even the ones publishing her to the extent that they do with Bayonetta.

Doesn't mean Shantae doesn't have a shot, but referring to her as practically Second party for Nintendo, doesn't really work, especially considering how recently she's spread beyond just Nintendo.

If her new game is a Nintendo exclusive then maybe....but that's not exactly looking likely.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, one thing for sure is, Sakurai hasn't budged on Ashley one iota, and her overexposure fatigue is steadily causing Nintendo to try and give the other characters a bit more promotion, from the looks of Gold's overall marketing.
It's telling that she wasn't even put in Mario Kart, which :ultisabelle: had absolutely no problems showing up for as a heavily-marketed character herself.

They know they're going nowhere with her, and fast.
Really? That just looks like business as usual to me. In Warioware proper, Ashley is treated roughly equal to everyone else in the interest of fairness (yet Gold saw fit to have a minigame starring her), but in Japan at least, it seems you can't bring up Warioware without mentioning Ashley. Just look at all those japanese Nintendo highlight videos that have Ashley in the thumbnail.

They're far from giving up on her, they just know her place is still as a Warioware supporting cast member until they come up with good idea for a standalone game with her (again the minigame is a start). And I feel that it's this lack of a concrete idea for her that ultimately foiled her playable chances, not a realization she's somehow losing popularity. Isabelle isn't a great comparison because she's just doing a lot of the same stuff Villager is doing. The overexposure argument is also a bit weak since the west doesn't get nearly as much Ashley, so it's hard to see how people could be sick of her over there.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Did the other consoles get the Ultimate edition of Half-Genie Hero?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Really? That just looks like business as usual to me. In Warioware proper, Ashley is treated roughly equal to everyone else in the interest of fairness (yet Gold saw fit to have a minigame starring her), but in Japan at least, it seems you can't bring up Warioware without mentioning Ashley. Just look at all those japanese Nintendo highlight videos that have Ashley in the thumbnail.

They're far from giving up on her, they just know her place is still as a Warioware supporting cast member until they come up with good idea for a standalone game with her (again the minigame is a start). And I feel that it's this lack of a concrete idea for her that ultimately foiled her playable chances, not a realization she's somehow losing popularity. Isabelle isn't a great comparison because she's just doing a lot of the same stuff Villager is doing. The overexposure argument is also a bit weak since the west doesn't get nearly as much Ashley, so it's hard to see how people could be sick of her over there.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Did the other consoles get the Ultimate edition of Half-Genie Hero?
Yeah, Nintendo knows of Ashley's popularity and they are not "slowing down" on it at all, they just aren't really moving forward either. She is still promoted more than any of the other WarioWare side characters and I think they have tested the water a few times to gauge interest on her getting her own solo adventures.

I mean, just the Badge Arcade alone had a few things that felt like proposed Ashley vehicles. They had one series of badges that you would piece together to make your own house and interior and garden that was themed around Ashley and Red. And then there was a whole series of badges based on a space/rock band game Starring Ashley and several new characters that was later revealed to be an April Fool Day joke. Which is to say the game was a joke, but they stil made tons of functioning badges based on it which seems like a lot of work to go through just for a joke. To come up with a concept, create supporting cast all with designs and roles, then make final polished art for it and release it in a way that people could pay money to obtain it... All for a joke? Not saying this game was ever going to get made, but it does feel like an idea someone pitched that later got used for the joke where Nintendo could also gauge interest while having some fun with their fans.

As for Shantae still having more ties to Nintendo than other consoles... it might not be much, but from what I understand, the Super Shantae Nab minigame is still only playable on the physical version of the 3DS release and on the Nintendo Switch releases.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Been a while, glad to see its going strong here.

Still think she has a chance as DLC, not sure if in this wave but in a second or 3rd wave. I can easily see us getting that much DLC for the game due to the staggering amount of sales the game got.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Still think she has a chance as DLC, not sure if in this wave but in a second or 3rd wave. I can easily see us getting that much DLC for the game due to the staggering amount of sales the game got.
At the rate character reveals and Wayforward's current projects are going, it could be very possible to get Shantae in Smash and a new game for her in close proximity. What a coincidence that would be, huh?

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
That is a VERY tantalizing prospect.

Also, Hi from the Medusa Support Thread! I was following you guys and the speculation for our Half-Genie Hero, through thick and thin, when I still didn't have a SmashBoards account, and I just wanted to stop by and say hello. Don't expect me to reply too often, but I'll probably still be lurking around here every now and then.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At the rate character reveals aand Wayforward's current projects are going, it could be very possible to get Shantae in Smash and a new game for her in close proximity. What a coincidence that would be, huh?
Here's to hoping, besides Bloodstained there doesn't appear to be any other non-Shantae games in the pipeline right now.

And Sakurai pretty much wanting to give his all.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Would anyone here be upset if Sakurai were to settle for her Pirate's Curse style as a moveset due to something like not being able to properly implement transformations, magic, etc?

I personally wouldn't mind, so long as she'd be playable. Plus, he works hard enough already.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Would anyone here be upset if Sakurai were to settle for her Pirate's Curse style as a moveset due to something like not being able to properly implement transformations, magic, etc?

I personally wouldn't mind, so long as she'd be playable. Plus, he works hard enough already.
Honestly, kind of. I mean I’d be grateful seeing her in, but personally I do feel like that would be a bit of a waste of her character. Yes I know PC is arguably the best game but it hardly represents what she‘s capable of doing.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Meanwhile, fans of the Mother 4 fangame are getting increasingly irritated.

That said, even with most of the original team gone, Retro will surely be able to help finish MP4.

And this just reminded me that Pakky Pakky still hasn't gotten around to doing my icon request for this guy. :drshrug:
*bows* Sorry >_<

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, kind of. I mean I’d be grateful seeing her in, but personally I do feel like that would be a bit of a waste of her character. Yes I know PC is arguably the best game but it hardly represents what she‘s capable of doing.
Sure, it'd certainly be lacking, but I'd make do. Though, I wouldn't expect that to happen considering how all-out he's gone this time around. Much determination.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Sure, it'd certainly be lacking, but I'd make do. Though, I wouldn't expect that to happen considering how all-out he's gone this time around. Much determination.
Yeah I just feel like the precedent Sakurai has set with the other third party characters makes me it should continue no matter what third-party he includes into the game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah I just feel like the precedent Sakurai has set with the other third party characters makes me it should continue no matter what third-party he includes into the game.
Her spirit had transformation items only in addition to the pirate gear represented by Zero Suit Samus. Sounds to me like a hybrid is most likely with this in mind. At the very least a scimitar since art loves to portray her with one regardless of whether or not she's pirating.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
*bows* Sorry >_<
S'all right, mang. The Newcomer stock icons people all seem to be swamped with work right now.

Her spirit had transformation items only in addition to the pirate gear represented by Zero Suit Samus. Sounds to me like a hybrid is most likely with this in mind. At the very least a scimitar since art loves to portray her with one regardless of whether or not she's pirating.
That's most reassuring. With any luck that'll eventually come to be used.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That is a VERY tantalizing prospect.

Also, Hi from the Medusa Support Thread! I was following you guys and the speculation for our Half-Genie Hero, through thick and thin, when I still didn't have a SmashBoards account, and I just wanted to stop by and say hello. Don't expect me to reply too often, but I'll probably still be lurking around here every now and then.
Hopefully if Sakurai gives us more Echos as surprise updates, Medusa would have a chance. Unless she is getting a new game I think right now echo is her best chance, and I think she could work well with an echo. I would love her as a unique fighter but would be happy with an echo.

This is sakurai. If he could give a moveset to a plant, he can implement shantae into this game transformations and all

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Did the other consoles get the Ultimate edition of Half-Genie Hero?
I believe the PS4 did, but not too sure about the Xbox One. In fact, has there been any Shantae games ever released on the Xbox consoles? I don't think so.

I would only want her Pirate's Curse moveset if we can get Risky Boots as a Echo Fighter. No Risky, no Pirate's Curse moveset for me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hopefully if Sakurai gives us more Echos as surprise updates, Medusa would have a chance. Unless she is getting a new game I think right now echo is her best chance, and I think she could work well with an echo. I would love her as a unique fighter but would be happy with an echo.

This is sakurai. If he could give a moveset to a plant, he can implement shantae into this game transformations and all
On one hand I'd prefer Medusa to be unique, on the other at least she'd have a better chance of getting differentiation later on than Pittoo.

I believe the PS4 did, but not too sure about the Xbox One. In fact, has there been any Shantae games ever released on the Xbox consoles? I don't think so.

I would only want her Pirate's Curse moveset if we can get Risky Boots as a Echo Fighter. No Risky, no Pirate's Curse moveset for me.
Also, the chances of having Risky debut in the same game are low anyway, so I could take Shantae only showing up by herself for now.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

As well as a plastic toy that worked with the NES, a 2 dimensional character, a dog and duck...etc., etc.

ItsLogic

Smash Cadet
I would have to say that I support her as an assist trophy, she would have an amazing potential as an assist trophy but not so much as an actual fighter

D

Deleted member

I would have to say that I support her as an assist trophy, she would have an amazing potential as an assist trophy but not so much as an actual fighter
Well I just disagree.

You don't support a character for being an assist. You either support them as a fighter or don't support them at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom