• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

The problem is that you're claiming that spirits don't deconfirm fighters, even though their presence would mean that they aren't getting in as DLC if the DLC is really just fighters from series new to Smash, ergo, not in it before.
This only applies to the First Wave (Feb. 2020). After that, everything's fair game.

D

Deleted member

All we need is a fighter who already has a spirit, making it in as DLC in Season 1 to sink the whole thing.

If we don't get one by the fifth and final member if the DLC pass, then there it is.
Another thing that can potentially prove this theory is Sylux. Metroid Prime 4 is likely to come sooner rather than later, they most likely want to promote it, and he's one of the hunters that doesn't have a spirit in the game.

For the next year, it'll be the most intense Schrodinger's Cat situation in the speculation period so far.
And all bets are certainly off if Adeleine gets in.
Not to mention Porky, who has Schrodinger's Capsule and the upcoming Mother anniversary as possible points in his favor.
Oh! Almost forgot, Rythm Tap Trial Girl as well.
And Poochy.

Regular one, not the yarn one that's in here.
Guys I don’t think a character getting in without a spirit that’s missing from the base game isn’t a problem because random people just do that to deconfirm characters and wipes our hopes and dreams away. we don’t need to see who gets in to see what affects the argument about spirits we just need to just wait until sakurai says something about them like...”we cannot add these spirits as dlc fighters” I am still on the belief that spirits don’t deconfirm so let’s all just enjoy the future dlc characters and keep on supporting shantae

What I’m trying to say is...THE ONLY THING THAT DECONFIRMS SPIRITS IS THAT IF SAKURAI OFICIALY SAYS THAT “SPIRITS CANNOT BECOME DLC” SO STOP TRYING TO THINK THESE CARACTERS WITHOUT SPIRITS CAN DECONFIRM DLC!
50F21DAC-6B84-4A42-9EAE-3418F4530DA2.jpeg

What do you all say you guys with me?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, one thing for sure is, by the time the next character announcement happens, this horse will not only be beaten to death, it'll continue to be beaten until there's nothing but bones, only for people to start hitting the bones to the point of breaking, and then they'll whack the pieces that are left.

tenor.gif

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The thread was especially popular because of the waiting for new characters and we really thought she had a great chance with everything we saw. Still, if excitement picks back up, shantae's still one of my faves to look for :). Maybe once pirahna plant is out there'll be back more speculation about dlc characters.

I'm not holding out as much for the new characters now, but I'm pretty curious as to what's going to come after joker. And you can bet I'll vote for shantae if another official ballot comes along :)

Nintendo's made an interesting choice with persona, so we never know what could come next. What I really want (again) most is girls for the next ones :D

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The only metric we have to go on from in regards to that is 4's DLC, which had introduced one and...a half? Technically two, I suppose.
Yeah gender pick ones are good enough sometimes :) I wouldnt count [edit] the new ones we got as 'unique'.. and technically we didn't even get a new unique girl yet for ultimate, since isabelle's a semi-clone in how she plays, so I'm really hoping they add 2 or 3 (might be asking for a lot :p),. , but like I said not gonna hold out for anything. Just gonna be glad to see more :)
Would be nice if the second dlc character would be one. (and someone like shantae would be an incredible surprise) I really wonder what nintendo's thinking..

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah gender pick ones are good enough sometimes :) Tho I wouldnt count them as 'unique'.. and technically we didn't even get a new unique girl yet for ultimate, since isabelle's a semi-clone in how she plays, so I'm really hoping they add 2 or 3 (might be asking for a lot :p),. , but like I said not gonna hold out for anything. Just gonna be glad to see more :)
Would be nice if the second dlc character would be one. (and someone like shantae would be an incredible surprise) I really wonder what nintendo's thinking..
Are we talking about in terms of body shape? Otherwise I have a hard time seeing Bayonetta as a character that isn't unique.

And Inkling isn't unique either…?

I was just talking about female newcomers and...never mind, let's just move along.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Are we talking about in terms of body shape? Otherwise I have a hard time seeing Bayonetta as a character that isn't unique.

And Inkling isn't unique either…?

I was just talking about female newcomers and...never mind, let's just move along.

I just meant we didn't get a genuinely unique girl character in ultimate.
Bayo is from smash 4, Inkling is an avatar/gender-pick character, and isabelle is a semi-clone.

There's a few original characters to think about to fit the bill for dlc like Shantae and an FF character (Like Terra, tifa, or lightning, etc)
Edelgard might count if nintendo decides to advertise FE again. And I'd be fine with it :)
I mean, some people talked about Katalina, but I kinda think that might just be myth :p

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Bayo is from smash 4, Inkling is an avatar/gender-pick character, and isabelle is a semi-clone.

There's a few original characters to think about to fit the bill for dlc like Shantae and an FF character (Like Terra, tifa, or lightning, etc)
Edelgard might count if nintendo decides to advertise FE again. And I'd be fine with it :)
I mean, some people talked about Katalina, but I kinda think that might just be myth :p
I wouldn't count on Katalina, she has her own fighting game to star in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Thing is, I was making a comparison to the DLC girl newcomers in Smash 4 . DLC characters. Not base characters. And I wasn't referring to Ultimate's base characters either.

Katalina is just a plumb mistake at this point in time, since Hitagi's source had mistaken rumblings about a Granblue spin-off with an actual Smash reveal possibility.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I wish I could find another genuinely unique female character to root for alongside Shantae.
I’m still not sold on Katalina, I’d be more comfortable rooting for Edelgard if we saw more of her by this time and see how much more unique she could be potentially be, Dixie I feel at best would be an Isabelle type of semi-clone of :ultdiddy:, and Cynthia herself would have the same gimmick as :ultpokemontrainer: (though all her Smash viable Pokémon are female and have some unique potential)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't see why we should expect Edelgard anyway, seeing as Sakurai is downplaying FE newcomers for once (no new uniques at all, just an echo). Plus the thing about characters getting in if they were made before 2017.

If there is a second pass at some point, maybe I could see it, but until then nah.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thing is, I was making a comparison to the DLC girl newcomers in Smash 4 . DLC characters. Not base characters. And I wasn't referring to Ultimate's base characters either.

Katalina is just a plumb mistake at this point in time, since Hitagi's source had mistaken rumblings about a Granblue spin-off with an actual Smash reveal possibility.
Smash 4 had a good number of new ones in base roster, so it didn't matter as much as it does now. I dont think they pay as much attention to it as I(or we) do, but I do hope they do enough to put more of them in dlc this time. I should probably count daisy and pichu a little, and I was pretty glad about Lucina, even if she's an echo, when she came too. But still, looking for unique ones <3

I wish I could find another genuinely unique female character to root for alongside Shantae.
I’m still not sold on Katalina, I’d be more comfortable rooting for Edelgard if we saw more of her by this time and see how much more unique she could be potentially be, Dixie I feel at best would be an Isabelle type of semi-clone of :ultdiddy:, and Cynthia herself would have the same gimmick as :ultpokemontrainer: (though all her Smash viable Pokémon are female and have some unique potential)
It'll take a while for the next dlcs to be announced, so I think we have plenty of time to see more of the new FE. Maybe it could be the 4th or 5th character.
I dont think they'll release echo/clone characters for dlc, so if there's dixie or another trainer, I think they'll be fully unique.

I don't see why we should expect Edelgard anyway, seeing as Sakurai is downplaying FE newcomers for once (no new uniques at all, just an echo). Plus the thing about characters getting in if they were made before 2017.

If there is a second pass at some point, maybe I could see it, but until then nah.
Well it's nintendo picking, and advertisement for their own game is good business, so you never know ;)

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I dont think they'll release echo/clone characters for dlc, so if there's dixie or another trainer, I think they'll be fully unique.
Yeah, Sakurai said no echoes will be part of the DLC so at least they’ll be unique on the plus side though I’m just having trouble seeing how Dixie could justifiably be fully unique. The only trait that I see Cynthia sharing with :ultpokemontrainer: is the Pokémon Change mechanic (as well as Garchomp inheriting :4charizard:‘s custom side B Dragon Rush) so I don’t think it’ll be she’s in danger of being completely considered an echo/clone, but still...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, one thing for sure is, by the time the next character announcement happens, this horse will not only be beaten to death, it'll continue to be beaten until there's nothing but bones, only for people to start hitting the bones to the point of breaking, and then they'll whack the pieces that are left.

View attachment 184839
Then they will be working the pieces until they become dust, and the dust has become mold.

Also, I guess we're trying to go for a Super Bash Sisters pack after this wave?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, Sakurai said no echoes will be part of the DLC so at least they’ll be unique on the plus side though I’m just having trouble seeing how Dixie could justifiably be fully unique. The only trait that I see Cynthia sharing with :ultpokemontrainer: is the Pokémon Change mechanic (as well as Garchomp inheriting :4charizard:‘s custom side B Dragon Rush) so I don’t think it’ll be she’s in danger of being completely considered an echo/clone, but still...
Well, it's not like they have to be 100% unique with all the moves.
There's still a few other characters too, like Lip or Adelaine, but obviously their chances seem lower.
Persona was quite a surprise of a series to pick from tho, so who knows, there's probably more characters we havent thought about.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, it's not like they have to be 100% unique with all the moves.
There's still a few other characters too, like Lip or Adelaine, but obviously their chances seem lower.
Persona was quite a surprise of a series to pick from tho, so who knows, there's probably more characters we havent thought about.
To be fair, Addy hasn't been made into a costume.

Apart from that, there's still Lara Croft, though I doubt SE would be any easier to deal with about lending out from their Western branches.

Pauline is a big maybe though, depending on how much (occasional) background characters affect things.

Oh, and Ms. Pac-Man. What on Earth is the hold up on her? They could at least have her use items from her own game if they want her as a semi-echo and call it a day.

Her Pokémon just need to function differently enough on their own, in terms of individual movesets, so in essence she'd be a semi-echo on paper.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love what she tweets
There was a problem fetching the tweet
:ultincineroar:
Edit: here’s more
This is false what actually invented smash was a kick from the foot

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I love what she tweets
:ultincineroar:
Edit: here’s more
This is false what actually invented smash was a kick from the foot
Have I ever mentioned how much I love this woman?

Her Pokémon just need to function differently enough on their own, in terms of individual movesets, so in essence she'd be a semi-echo on paper.
Here’s what I had for her Pokémon so far...

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
man i saw a topic on gamefaqs where they talked about characters that got deconfirmed and of course shantae was among them because nobody can shut up about spirits being a consolation prize...

D

Deleted member

man i saw a topic on gamefaqs where they talked about characters that got deconfirmed and of course shantae was among them because nobody can shut up about spirits being a consolation prize...
That’s gamefaqs natural habit on the indie darling. they never change.

Oh well
366B1756-F115-4112-8C16-7F72D74F5D0E.jpeg

And Who even says that remiu has a better chance than her?

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Try as I might, I don't think any of the Mii archetypes can even come close to capturing Shantae.

However, Swordfighter and Gunner DO work well as Risky substitutes, with a full Pirate outfit on the former and pirate hat with Steampunk on the latter. Gale Stab (Side B 2) is almost a dead ringer for Risky's charging attack, with Shuriken of Light standing in for those knives Risky is seen with but never uses and Stone Scabbard for the down thrust. Meanwhile her gunner version goes heavy on the explosive specials, with special mention to Lunar Launch working almost exactly like Risky's cannon, minus the multiple consecutive uses.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While the ground is still unstable, there is some factors that still holds weight for now.

Spirit = trophy

Those can be upgraded to fighter only for those that sakurai and the nintendo team has chosen to move up.

Fanbase still is burning and popularity is growing

Though she is a spirit (for now. Who knows.) More people are getting to know her since Smash Bros is the Video Game Advertisement for all character series big, small and forgotten by time.

No confirmation spirits can't go farther

Nintendo has not closed the doors on the spirits to fighters topic yet, so there is still some light left for the remaining 4 invites.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While the ground is still unstable, there is some factors that still holds weight for now.

Spirit = trophy

Those can be upgraded to fighter only for those that sakurai and the nintendo team has chosen to move up.

Though she is a spirit (for now. Who knows.) More people are getting to know her since Smash Bros is the Video Game Advertisement for all character series big, small and forgotten by time.

Nintendo has not closed the doors on the spirits to fighters topic yet, so there is still some light left for the remaining 4 invites.
Like Trophies, the Spirit doesn't mean anything because they can make a new one. It's not being upgraded. It's them making a new Spirit for Shantae if she were to be layable.

I won't say anything about the second point. Growing fanbases are great!

Third point is correct. Until Nintendo says otherwise, no reason to believe they mean nothing. It's fine to think a spirit might mean a character is unlikely, though. It's the same as the AT situation. It does not help them, but they are not indefinitely impossible for DLC. Just unlikely. Of course, one having a hard gameplay role does not help either.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
So yeah, another late night post coming from me.

So we're going into 2019. Besides Shantae, any New Year wishes? Hopes and dreams?
I want to find something to be passionate about. I'm hoping to find that this year, but who knows.
Anyways, I wish everyone the best coming into the New Year.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Spirit = trophy

Like Trophies, the Spirit doesn't mean anything because they can make a new one. It's not being upgraded. It's them making a new Spirit for Shantae if she were to be layable.

I won't say anything about the second point. Growing fanbases are great!

Third point is correct. Until Nintendo says otherwise, no reason to believe they mean nothing. It's fine to think a spirit might mean a character is unlikely, though. It's the same as the AT situation. It does not help them, but they are not indefinitely impossible for DLC. Just unlikely. Of course, one having a hard gameplay role does not help either.
Meanwhile, there's the matter of whether any further DLC gets approved later on. Fortunately, the game printed money even before it got released, so that particular issue may not pose a problem.

So yeah, another late night post coming from me.

So we're going into 2019. Besides Shantae, any New Year wishes? Hopes and dreams?
I want to find something to be passionate about. I'm hoping to find that this year, but who knows.
Anyways, I wish everyone the best coming into the New Year.
Super Mario 3D World port.
Finally buying the danged console (and New 2DS while I'm at it).
More DLC characters that can get me excited.
At least one really obscure character as DLC.
Bloodstained, Xydonia, Pixel Noir and Blasphemous kickstarters to amount to something, though at least Battle Princess Madelyn came out safely. Supporters for KS projects I've been watching are really starting to get restless.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Sorry I am hardly active lately. Been busy with a lot of things. Still excited to see whose next to be revealed for DLC, and I am still extremely hopeful its Shantae!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What do you all think the chances of the next Shantae game being published by Nintendo? It would most likely require the game be exclusive to the Switch for at least a good period of time, but the funding and guidance might also be what Wayforward needs to take her to the next level.

D

Deleted member

Aside from shantae who is your dream pick for smash?

Mine is the doom slayer/marine

Top Bottom