• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ok this may sound stupid but I would like to see shantae and risky as mii fighter costumes I mean If shantae doesn’t make it as dlc she could be upgraded as a fighter in the next smash game like:ultinkling:,:ultchrom:,:ultkrool:,and :ultisabelle: and tbh I still don’t see her as an AT because it’s impossible after having this much move set potential

What do y’all think
(This is not against her this what I think and thought it be cool)
You say that, but Rayman didn't even get anything like that last time. His fanbase was left in limbo until the very end.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Omg you wanted daisy too? Its hard out here for a daisy main.

Kinda think phoenix would come to smash too as well.
I wanted Daisy ever since Smash 4 when they showed off Alph being an alt for Olimar. It bummed me out when Peach still just had her Daisy colors.

I always preferred Daisy, I mean: Redhead, tomboy, from a much cooler kingdom, and she actually gave Mario a kiss at the end rather than just teasing him with cake all the time.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
“Piranha plant doesn’t have a spirit therefore spirits do deconfirm fighters for dlc”

This quote right here is false because piranha plant was done early judging by his trailer and alts meaning that they knew he was gonna be a character unlike Batman’s rival who got only just a teaser and no gameplay just like what they did to :ultmewtwo: during the 50 fact extravaganza

So let’s all ignore what the fan base says about spirits and just listen to what sakurai says because he gives out the official words and not some random people who make up rules so that people’s favorite characters cannot become dlc.

Edit: wow a moderator likes what I said:)
wasn't Sakurai the guy who said that spirits are a way of enjoying characters who didn't make the cut? That to me sounds like a hard deconfirm without outright stating it.

At this point I would be fine if Shantae just got a mii fighter outfit, those put a smile on my face since I actually use miis, I think it would be cool. Make Shovel knight a fighter outfit as well. That would be badass

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

wasn't Sakurai the guy who said that spirits are a way of enjoying characters who didn't make the cut? That to me sounds like a hard deconfirm without outright stating it.
No no no no no you got it all wrong here pal this is what sakurai said
https://nintendoeverything.com/masahiro-sakurai-super-smash-bros-ultimate-interview/2/
“every character we included will make somebody happy; players really do have a lot of love for all kinds of characters.”

What he meant was he wanted to include these types of characters that no one has heard of or known and that they would enjoy these fun and unlikely additions he isn’t just talking about the fan requested ones

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

At this point I would be fine if Shantae just got a mii fighter outfit, those put a smile on my face since I actually use miis, I think it would be cool. Make Shovel knight a fighter outfit as well. That would be badass
Yeah, alongside such gems as "Ridley is too big" and "Animal Crossing protagonist isn't fighter material".

He didn't have a problem shutting up fans hoping to influence the DLC picks after their announcement, why wouldn't he say the same thing with spirits to avert potential backlash even more? And what goes through the minds of people who read that statement and imagine "...and that's all you're gonna get, losers."?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Ugh I can't believe so many are hopping on this "DLC Mii Fighter costumes confirmed coming in 2019!" nonsense.

That note has been on Nintendo's website for a long time, I think since before the game came out. It's nothing new. And it's not confirmation of anything new. It could just as easily mean they're going to sell Rex's Mii costume on its own somewhere down the line.

D

Deleted member

You all are slowpokes for jumping on the Mii costume DLC right now. That information has been known since before the game even released.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Ugh I can't believe so many are hopping on this "DLC Mii Fighter costumes confirmed coming in 2019!" nonsense.

That note has been on Nintendo's website for a long time, I think since before the game came out. It's nothing new. And it's not confirmation of anything new. It could just as easily mean they're going to sell Rex's Mii costume on its own somewhere down the line.
I was just thinking that.

That said, I wouldn't mind a Shantae costume.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

You all are slowpokes for jumping on the Mii costume DLC right now. That information has been known since before the game even released.
Apparently the whole planet hasn't been aware of it before, seeing as multiple news outlets haven't reported on it until a couple days ago or less.

Yeah, alongside such gems as "Ridley is too big" and "Animal Crossing protagonist isn't fighter material".

He didn't have a problem shutting up fans hoping to influence the DLC picks after their announcement, why wouldn't he say the same thing with spirits to avert potential backlash even more? And what goes through the minds of people who read that statement and imagine "...and that's all you're gonna get, losers."?
Yeah, at this point I just want to see the next DLC characters so that non-believers can be shut up. No offense.

Can we just stop bringing up this topic? It'll just be the same thing over and over again.

No no no no no you got it all wrong here pal this is what sakurai said
https://nintendoeverything.com/masahiro-sakurai-super-smash-bros-ultimate-interview/2/
“every character we included will make somebody happy; players really do have a lot of love for all kinds of characters.”

What he meant was he wanted to include these types of characters that no one has heard of or known and that they would enjoy these fun and unlikely additions he isn’t just talking about the fan requested ones
I really like how they included the commander from X as a spirit, while the original is a technical marvel that didn't age too well, that game's sequel X-Scape is underrated, imo.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

It's entirely possible that he simply thought he didn't need to explain it because it's the logical conclusion. Not saying that's what happened bit that seems like a possibility.

As for what goes through my mind at that statement? Realistic expectations, I'm not gonna get my hopes up because I don't want to be disappointed, 95% of my wishlist ended up as spirits after all.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Hello Shantae supporters !

While I don't really know what are chances for DLC are , since she's a spirit , I just hope she get in as DLC , costume or fully playable. I loved Pirate's Curse on the 3DS , and just bought recently the physical release of Half Genie hero on the Switch. I also have the original Shantae on the 3DS , I'm only missing Risky's revenge.

Also , execpt Shantae , who is your favorite character from the Shantae franchise? Mine is Risky Boots , and the tinklebats.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hello Shantae supporters !

While I don't really know what are chances for DLC are , since she's a spirit , I just hope she get in as DLC , costume or fully playable. I loved Pirate's Curse on the 3DS , and just bought recently the physical release of Half Genie hero on the Switch. I also have the original Shantae on the 3DS , I'm only missing Risky's revenge.

Also , execpt Shantae , who is your favorite character from the Shantae franchise? Mine is Risky Boots , and the tinklebats.
Welcome!

Hope you enjoy Half-Genie Hero! (Also if you want to get Risky’s Revenge, I’d recommend getting the iOS version for a few extra conveniences) And I’d have to say my favorite character aside from Shantae is Rottytops with Twitch and Chef Girl close behind (the latter’s in RR and HGH)

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I wanted Daisy ever since Smash 4 when they showed off Alph being an alt for Olimar. It bummed me out when Peach still just had her Daisy colors.

I always preferred Daisy, I mean: Redhead, tomboy, from a much cooler kingdom, and she actually gave Mario a kiss at the end rather than just teasing him with cake all the time.
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

I used to think daisy was in brawl and I had to somehow unlock her lol.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Can we just stop bringing up this topic? It'll just be the same thing over and over again.
It's the loss of those who feel the need to report low odds (short of taking overly certain people down a peg) who can't see the forest that is speculation for the trees.

Paralyzing or trying to do the same to other's support with things that seemingly lower chances out of a misguided desire to not "waste effort" ignores all the good campaigning does for your character outside of getting them in Smash. What is there to lose?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Apparently the whole planet hasn't been aware of it before, seeing as multiple news outlets haven't reported on it until a couple days ago or less.
Yeah, that's what I meant to reference. I don't know who started it, but I first saw it on GameXplain a few days ago, then I was suddenly seeing it from a bunch of different places and now my palm is permanently stuck to my face. (I'm typing this with one hand)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's the loss of those who feel the need to report low odds (short of taking overly certain people down a peg) who can't see the forest that is speculation for the trees.

Paralyzing or trying to do the same to other's support with things that seemingly lower chances out of a misguided desire to not "waste effort" ignores all the good campaigning does for your character outside of getting them in Smash. What is there to lose?
Yeah. I mean, is anyone going to call the Isaac fans silly for believing in their cause when they decide to help bring back Golden Sun instead? Not to mention all those character campaigns that don't get much, if any, attention in the first place (Joker's didn't get much traction before the miracle happened).

On the other hand, the people who don't expect anything fancy to happen will at least be pleasantly surprised should said fancy thing happen.

Assuming another Grinch guy doesn't show up to inflate everyone's hopes again...

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

I used to think daisy was in brawl and I had to somehow unlock her lol.
Peach is my gal, but it felt wrong not having Daisy for all those years. Especially when Rosalina got in over her.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Peach is my gal, but it felt wrong not having Daisy for all those years. Especially when Rosalina got in over her.
Ikr! Though I suppose Rosalina was getting into a lot of games and was popular(?). I think daisy should've been in at least smash 4 or something especially when waluigi was in brawl as an assist trophy.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
D

Deleted member

Hey guys, I'm back, and still dreaming. :b:

Not to be a pessimist or anything, but I'm starting to feel that this thread is dead (or at least, on a hiatus until more news comes out.) It seems that we've exhausted and OVERanalyzed everything there is to analyze about Shantae being a fighter which... excellent work everyone, but it kinda leaves us stuck. So, where do we go now?

I personally think the most relevant step would be trying to find a conclusive answer to the whole "Spirits deconfirm characters" debacle, since "Sakurai's current interviews" and the "multiple spirits of the same character" arguments could lean either way, really. What we (and by extension all other character fanbases) need is a link to this puzzle that definitively determines if spirits are out of the running, or still in it. Because most of the discussion about that topic (not just here, but everywhere,) repeatedly loops back around and goes nowhere.

If anyone has any ideas that don't loop around, please share. and if not, I'm down for this thread being used as a chatroom-of-sorts, for the time being until something big comes out. (Although it seems that's where we're at.)

I just figured the state of our thread should be "made official."

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Our best bet of shooting down spirits equal deconfirm is Geno since we know for a fact Sakurai has wanted to put him in the roster and he is also a spirit and wanted by many.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Our best bet of shooting down spirits equal deconfirm is Geno since we know for a fact Sakurai has wanted to put him in the roster and he is also a spirit and wanted by many.
All we need is a fighter who already has a spirit, making it in as DLC in Season 1 to sink the whole thing.

If we don't get one by the fifth and final member if the DLC pass, then there it is.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
All we need is a fighter who already has a spirit, making it in as DLC in Season 1 to sink the whole thing.

If we don't get one by the fifth and final member if the DLC pass, then there it is.
Another thing that can potentially prove this theory is Sylux. Metroid Prime 4 is likely to come sooner rather than later, they most likely want to promote it, and he's one of the hunters that doesn't have a spirit in the game.

For the next year, it'll be the most intense Schrodinger's Cat situation in the speculation period so far.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Not to mention Porky, who has Schrodinger's Capsule and the upcoming Mother anniversary as possible points in his favor.
And then there's heavy hitter third parties like a potential Sephiroth with FFVII coming to the Switch, Phoenix Wright, iconic lawyer with an upcoming game available on Switch, and even a Dragon Quest rep potentially, given the Switch is getting the definitive version of DQ11.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, what gives it away to me personally, (although it isn't definite proof,) was the way Sakurai addressed Rex in the Direct.

Apparently, it was too late in development for him to be added to the base game, but instead of holding off on adding him as DLC for later, Sakurai made Rex into a Mii costume. The only logical reason I could see him doing this is because he wanted to tide off Xenoblade fans for the time being, while he and the team work on Smash DLC for the next two years.

This to me confirms that the First Wave DLC was decided on by Early-to-Mid 2017 and no decisions will be made until late 2019-early 2020, when the DLC wraps up (or slightly before to get legal documents sorted out and such.) I also loosely predict that
a. Rex will be a DLC fighter (sometime past 2020,) and
b. Spirits don't deconfirm characters.
However, these only apply if there's more DLC after the first wave.

Sorry if this has already been iterated somewhere else btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

additionally, guys, remember that all of the DLC in this pack is going to be from new series (I don't remember the link sorry,) so we can sadly rule out Porky, Adeleine, and Sylux. [Though I do see them getting in for any future waves, most likely if there's a Nintendo Wave.]

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh! Almost forgot, Rythm Tap Trial Girl as well.
And Poochy.

Regular one, not the yarn one that's in here.

Honestly, what gives it away to me personally, (although it isn't definite proof,) was the way Sakurai addressed Rex in the Direct.

Apparently, it was too late in development for him to be added to the base game, but instead of holding off on adding him as DLC for later, Sakurai made Rex into a Mii costume. The only logical reason I could see him doing this is because he wanted to tide off Xenoblade fans for the time being, while he and the team work on Smash DLC for the next two years.

This to me confirms that the First Wave DLC was decided on by Early-to-Mid 2017 and no decisions will be made until late 2019-early 2020, when the DLC wraps up (or slightly before to get legal documents sorted out and such.) I also loosely predict that
a. Rex will be a DLC fighter (sometime past 2020,) and
b. Spirits don't deconfirm characters.
However, these only apply if there's more DLC after the first wave.

Sorry if this has already been iterated somewhere else btw.
This definitely seems like the most positive outcome. While Spring Man is toast, they could still manage to include Ribbon Girl in his stead.

additionally, guys, remember that all of the DLC in this pack is going to be from new series (I don't remember the link sorry,) so we can sadly rule out Porky, Adeleine, and Sylux. [Though I do see them getting in for any future waves, most likely if there's a Nintendo Wave.]
"Fighters that are new to Smash Bros" could literally mean anything, though.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
This definitely seems like the most positive outcome. While Spring Man is toast, they could still manage to include Ribbon Girl in his stead.
Eh, if they're going to add an ARMS rep that isn't Spring Man, I'd say Twintelle is more likely.
Spirits don't deconfirm characters.
additionally, guys, remember that all of the DLC in this pack is going to be from new series (I don't remember the link sorry,) so we can sadly rule out Porky, Adeleine, and Sylux. [
You just contradicted yourself there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, if they're going to add an ARMS rep that isn't Spring Man, I'd say Twintelle is more likely.

Personally I'm aiming for either Max Brass and/or Dr. Coyle, given that they didn't get to cover the ARMS DLC characters in Ultimate.

Also, in regards to Reggie quotes, besides the "emblematic" mention, the fuller version of that one could give a better idea of what to expect, even if it's PR speak:

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/12/...smash-bros-ultimate-will-be-unique-different/

“It’s emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it’s going to be tremendously exciting.”

“Mr. Sakurai, he’s not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he’s had his hand in a few, but he’s a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he’s been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That’s been the approach. That’s the thinking.”

“I hope the fans are excited by the announcement of Joker. I hope they’re looking forward to the future announcements,” he added. “I hope it gives them confidence to just go buy the Fighter Pass. That way they can get the latest fighter as soon as it’s available and continue building out their roster for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.”

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Or Twintelle. Even if Ribbon Girl is technically the staple, Twintelle seems to have the most traction and notability. And she could technically get in if the protagonist rule is all that matters, since there are no protagonists/antagonists in ARMS.
"Fighters that are new to Smash Bros" could literally mean anything, though.
Not fighters, series. As in, no new Kirby reps of any kind. Or Metroid. etc. I think mostly for the factor of creating new stages (because pre-existing series' already have tons of stages,) but also for the factor of introducing Nintendo fans to other games, and profiting off of big names from third parties joining the Smash. I also remember the article meaning they were all going to be third party fighters and not Nintendo, but I don't fully remember, so don't take my word on it.
And Poochy.

Regular one, not the yarn one that's in there
Speaking of yarn, I kinda wished they did more to represent Kirby's Epic Yarn. I LOVED that game when I was younger, and Prince Fluff would've totally been an awesome addition, but I'll keep that hope in the back of my pocket for now. :bee:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

"These are characters that are going to be new to the series."

This is the actual quote, because I'm getting tired of arguing about this.

Or Twintelle. Even if Ribbon Girl is technically the staple, Twintelle seems to have the most traction and notability. And she could technically get in if the protagonist rule is all that matters, since there are no protagonists/antagonists in ARMS.

Speaking of yarn, I kinda wished they did more to represent Kirby's Epic Yarn. I LOVED that game when I was younger, and Prince Fluff would've totally been an awesome addition, but I'll keep that hope in the back of my pocket for now. :bee:
Yeah, even the antagonist role is ambiguous in that game (granted, there's a few that are definite antagonistic final bosses).

Yeah, that would be neat, if only to make up to the fact that he didn't get in Star Allies (I mean, really, the evil version of Meta Knight, but no Fluff, Kumazaki? :glare:).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A. Those characters don't have spirits, so the first claim doesn't apply to them.
B. This goes back to the Piranha Plant debacle. Remember, the reason it doesn't have a spirit is because it was planned early enough in development of Ultimate that the Spirits Team could take note and not include a Piranha Plant spirit. And given what I said above about the first wave DLC, those characters were also planned early enough so the Spirits Team could take notes, (and even then, it wouldn't be that hard to remove a spirit from the game's data.)
C. The claim that "all the new fighters will be third party" isn't set in stone yet (sorry for being irrational there,) but even beyond the interview, it's very likely and I'm personally standing by it.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
A. Those characters don't have spirits, so the first claim doesn't apply to them.
B. This goes back to the Piranha Plant debacle. Remember, the reason it doesn't have a spirit is because it was planned early enough in development of Ultimate that the Spirits Team could take note and not include a Piranha Plant spirit. And given what I said above about the first wave DLC, those characters were also planned early enough so the Spirits Team could take notes, (and even then, it wouldn't be that hard to remove a spirit from the game's data.)
C. The claim that "all the new fighters will be third party" isn't set in stone yet (sorry for being irrational there,) but even beyond the interview, it's very likely and I'm personally standing by it.
The problem is that you're claiming that spirits don't deconfirm fighters, even though their presence would mean that they aren't getting in as DLC if the DLC is really just fighters from series new to Smash, ergo, not in it before.

Top Bottom