• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That is one way to look at it. But still, the fact that we have a consistent case so far when it comes to DLC characters is what's keeping the spirits theory in the ring.
Not necessarily. We do know that DLC characters were in the works as early as 2015-2016, and were in the negotiations alongside the actual game.

Heck, they were planning a DLC reveal as early as E3 2018, regarding the little tweeted exchange between Keighly and Reggie.

And it could be argued that in such a case, DLC was finalized and chosen before all the spirits were picked. Especially since they pretty much said they were done choosing them in the November direct.

Meh. We technically got a SMT spirit already anyway. No harm done there.
You know, that Mad Mew Mew gif perfectly sums up this entire situation. I don't remember people ever considering trophies and stickers in previous games to be this huge Schrodinger's Cat (well, they probably did with Melee, which is when the concept of collectibles was new).

The one thing that will give definitive credence to this theory is if Sylux shows up, he's the most likely first-party character without a spirit to show up. Third party characters that are already in as spirits are probably not affected by this, but we'll see what happens there.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
You know, that Mad Mew Mew gif perfectly sums up this entire situation. I don't remember people ever considering trophies and stickers in previous games to be this huge Schrodinger's Cat (well, they probably did with Melee, which is when the concept of collectibles was new).

The one thing that will give definitive credence to this theory is if Sylux shows up, he's the most likely first-party character without a spirit to show up. Third party characters that are already in as spirits are probably not affected by this, but we'll see what happens there.
That's a good way to explain this mess. And Third party characters are a little more tricky to figure out. Nintendo has some rights to the character if they made Spirits of said character. Why can't they decided to bump a Spirit into a playable character later down in the line.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

First-party characters are definitely easier to plan around/negotiate. The only reason to hold back his spirit would be if he has some new design that Nintendo really wants to push (the old one is kind of a product of DS time...)

That's a good way to explain this mess. And Third party characters are a little more tricky to figure out. Nintendo has some rights to the character if they made Spirits of said character. Why can't they decided to bump a Spirit into a playable character later down in the line.
I said it before and I'll say it again, a third party character getting a cameo of any non-gameplay sort in Smash is a feat in of itself. It has to the kind of character a person familiar with Nintendo consoles and their libraries can recognize as not being from Nintendo, yet have memories of playing or otherwise knowing their games on said console. If not, they run the risk of being very jarring and raising too many questions.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
First-party characters are definitely easier to plan around/negotiate. The only reason to hold back his spirit would be if he has some new design that Nintendo really wants to push (the old one is kind of a product of DS time...)
Well, that much is a given. It wouldn't be the first time a character got a drastic overhaul for their first playable appearance in Smash before returning in a new game of their source series. :ultpit:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey has anyone checked jakes Twitter yet? because it’s like he doesn’t know what smash is and I don’t know if he was aware of shantaes inclusion as a spirit because he makes the music for shantae you know.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
The only characters we know were seriously planned early were the ones in the base roster, they're likely the only ones the spirits team had to keep in mind when deciding on spirits. Piranha Plant had to have been planned pretty early too in order to have a gameplay demonstration prior to release, regardless of whether or not he was intended to be a base character.

I said this before about Joker, but if it wasn't known he was coming as a fighter, there'd be very little reason to include any spirit from Persona. The series has very little tying it to Nintendo and their inclusion would raise more than a few eyebrows. Basically, having spirits from that franchise would likely have people finding Joker or any other protagonist more likely instead of the other way around.
Yeah. I guess we're just gonna have to wait and see.
I agree, though. I don't mean spirit-wise because it'd be odd if Joker was in the base game as a spirit. I meant like actual game play like Piranha Plant or the model reveal of Mewtwo from Smash 4
2456e8779a96a2c986b9e26eb6927baa0fd481b0_hq.gif

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well here is LxC in "some support" type video for Shantae.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey has anyone checked jakes Twitter yet? because it’s like he doesn’t know what smash is and I don’t know if he was aware of shantaes inclusion as a spirit because he makes the music for shantae you know.
You know, this may add credence to the fact that no one has been told to make any music for Shantae's spirit battle in Smash.

Unless he's simply not been told anything at all about the Smash cameo before the game came out to preserve some sort of NDA? Who knows.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, this may add credence to the fact that no one has been told to make any music for Shantae's spirit battle in Smash.

Unless he's simply not been told anything at all about the Smash cameo before the game came out to preserve some sort of NDA? Who knows.
Music doesn't seem to mean much. Whatever the new stages may be, it wouldn't be difficult to retroactively add existing songs to them in addition to new ones, or not if it's too much of a hassle for some reason.

D

Deleted member

Well here is LxC in "some support" type video for Shantae.

These were My favorite comments
5187AD5A-D4C3-4980-84E1-E178E4672F05.jpeg

F9C4A9E7-94E4-476E-B9C9-0250811CB6A1.jpeg

906E9133-FFCD-4989-AC42-5867D48D0D94.jpeg

DA6EE845-50B8-411F-ACAD-58F9CF06D834.jpeg

1013F39A-E9AB-49C0-A9ED-75CDA7FE8054.jpeg

Me: yeah right.
019A18A4-3574-4859-A963-B0A85E0CDE0B.jpeg

I can’t stop laughing at the first one!

These guys don’t know what makes her perfect for smash

Btw the realistic guy is going against her now

Last edited by a moderator:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
"Shovel Knight is the most likely indie character."

I legitimately think Sans is more likely.

And at this point I'd like to see any indie character that's not Shovel Knight get in first just to shut these people up.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"Shovel Knight is the most likely indie character."

I legitimately think Sans is more likely.

And at this point I'd like to see any indie character that's not Shovel Knight get in first just to shut these people up.
I mean, he's an assist trophy. You can't get more "consolation prize" than that. And I say that as a SK fan.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Isn't that what spirits are for?
At least people use assist trophies lol
Technically, you can use them as stat boosts.

I mean more in the sense of "these guys are 3D models running automatically, why would we upgrade those when we can focus on fuller models for other characters?".

Besides, spirits are less consolation prizes and more of a quick and dirty way of showcasing a vast library of games.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah new avatar. See my Dark Incineroar!!!!!!!!!!!!

1545957669743.png

Anyway I laughed at those comments. It's like people again forgot that Spirits were literally stated to be a replacement for the TROPHIES. It doesn't even really take that much time to develop them in the first unlike Assist Trophies(coughShovelKnightcough).

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

View attachment 184547

Anyway I laughed at those comments. It's like people again forgot that Spirits were literally stated to be a replacement for the TROPHIES. It doesn't even really take that much time to develop them in the first unlike Assist Trophies(coughShovelKnightcough).
I’m sorry but with the boxing ring and everything, I have too...

"MY NAME'S! NOT! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!

D

Deleted member

View attachment 184547

He might have the worst air recovery but he’s still a fun character

Also back in smash 4 ballot days why did people want rayman in even tho he was a trophy?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
He might have the worst air recovery but he’s still a fun character

Also back in smash 4 ballot days why did people want rayman in even tho he was a trophy?
The sheer fact that Ubi was collaborating with Nintendo, and he could have been the first-ever playable Western TP character. Not to mention the peculiar details in the skeleton of his trophy model (made by Ubi themselves).

Well, that and the whole Artsy Omni incident.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The sheer fact that Ubi was collaborating with Nintendo, and he could have been the first-ever playable Western TP character. Not to mention the peculiar details in the skeleton of his trophy model (made by Ubi themselves).

And these days, the Definitive edition of Rayman Legends is exclusive to the Switch, somewhat making up for Ubisoft jumping ship with the Wii U... not that Nintendo seems to hold it against them. Amazingly, their relationship seems to have only gotten stronger since.

Shantae is in a very similar position with the Ultimate version of Half-Genie Hero being exclusive to the Switch as well... for now anyway.

D

Deleted member

What I was trying to say is why are people saying rayman is deconfirmed by being a spirit even tho people were voting rayman back in the ballot during smash 4 dlc span while he was a trophy which spirits replace trophies?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
And these days, the Definitive edition of Rayman Legends is exclusive to the Switch, somewhat making up for Ubisoft jumping ship with the Wii U... not that Nintendo seems to hold it against them. Amazingly, their relationship seems to have only gotten stronger since.

Shantae is in a very similar position with the Ultimate version of Half-Genie Hero being exclusive to the Switch as well... for now anyway.
Definitive edition of Pirates Curse too. At least that's how wayforward referred to the LRG version of it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If there was a Shantae mii fighter outfit in the costume DLC's which kind of mii do you think she would be in? Im thinking they would do sword fighter because the Japanese love pirates curse.

Last edited:

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
How's everyone doing in this thread? I really I'm hoping for Shantae to be DLC, though compared to other competition she has, I'm not sure at this point. What are you guys' feelings?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
How's everyone doing in this thread? I really I'm hoping for Shantae to be DLC, though compared to other competition she has, I'm not sure at this point. What are you guys' feelings?
I've said before, and I'll say it again. Based off of when Matt tried to rally support for her, not to mention, the liklihood that Sakurai was talking about the DLC roster when he said that Rex and Pyra did not make in during the November direct; in addition to all other factors, I think she has a shot. But not as one of the Season 1 DLC fighters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As expected, WF are saving the day for Bloodstained!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...of_the_night_development_has_reached_its_peak

What I was trying to say is why are people saying rayman is deconfirmed by being a spirit even tho people were voting rayman back in the ballot during smash 4 dlc span while he was a trophy which spirits replace trophies?
Because people have goldfish memories even more than usual, apparently.

Either that, or they're taking WOL's lore way too seriously, even though Sakurai clearly said it's mostly about fun.

Welp here’s the thing I’d promised to do...
View attachment 184581

I may do more cleanup on it, but yeah a bit of a late Christmas present for you guys/actual birthday present for me.
Neato, but isn't Sky's hair supposed to be long? Granted, it's mostly clear in PC, even though it's tied up in braids.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Because first off, trophies weren't touted by devs as a way for otherwise, non-playable characters to appear "playable" in a sense, like spirits are.

Second, there was actually a ballot to vote for, and there wasn't a set amount of characters in place for DLC, unlike the 5 fighters.

Third, people didn't have as much reason with trophies as they do with spirits to believe that trophies disconfirmed fighters.

Fourth, the Spirits theory has a pattern that has yet to be broken. Hence why it hasn't been agreed as debunked yet.

We have to remember, that much of this is a different ballgame than Smash 4 in so many development ways, so we can't try to use Smash 4 as a reference in all this.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's more of "you can pretend to be these guys" than anything, like when playing around with toys as kids. Kinda like if you're not able to get toys of specific characters, but try to compensate for that anyway until your parents can afford the real things.

And honestly, this speculation cycle barely had any theories survive at all, so it would be weird if this one did. Even the box and card theories were treated more sensibly. It's not as clear-cut as those aformentioned two theories, since those only involved two missing characters, compared to the various characters that aren't spirits.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
And honestly, this speculation cycle barely had any theories survive at all, so it would be weird if this one did.
I mean, that's life in general. Heck, people thought the box theory was fake and the Grinch leak was real. And look how things turned out.
Even the box and card theories were treated more sensibly.
What do you mean by that?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, that's life in general. Heck, people thought the box theory was fake and the Grinch leak was real. And look how things turned out.

What do you mean by that?
I mean, people seemed resigned to accept there were only two characters left to announce for the base game. Then some random scumbag decided to make everyone doubtful with a blurry image with slightly-odd drawings added to the mural (though he did get Ken right, funnily enough), resulting in three different factions of fans: those who thought the box was real, those who thought it wasn't, and the neutral one that wasn't sure what to make of the situation.

All this, shortly before November happened.

In comparison, many currently don't even know what's likely or not about the spirit characters, even after the game is out. That Sakurai hasn't said anything more on the matter hasn't helped things. Right now there's enough tin foil thrown around, you could make a profit by selling hats to people.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The point is that some theories can be right and others wrong.

This latest one involving Spirits is running its natural course. If iymt gets debunked, then that's that, but until then, it's a possibility. One that has credence backing it.
It's more of "you can pretend to be these guys" than anything, like when playing around with toys as kids. Kinda like if you're not able to get toys of specific characters, but try to compensate for that anyway until your parents can afford the real things.
I mean, one could consider that a consolation prize, at least for the duration and content of Season 1.

Lord knows, Rex & Pyra got hit hard in the consolation bits with that mii costume.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The point is that some theories can be right and others wrong.

This latest one involving Spirits is running its natural course. If iymt gets debunked, then that's that, but until then, it's a possibility. One that has credence backing it.

I mean, one could consider that a consolation prize, at least for the duration and content of Season 1.

Lord knows, Rex & Pyra got hit hard in the consolation bits with that mii costume.
In any case, until the fighter pass is done, anyone that's too recent is right out. Before 2017 is the benchmark for character inclusion, one can assume.

Although it would be hilarious and baffling if they compensated for the ARMS characters that are in the game via ATs and Spirits, by going after some of ARMS' DLC characters instead.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, given he ain't the main character, that honor would more likely, go to Frisk.
I mean I guess, though people seem to talk about sans more. Ironically or uninronically.
On that topic, do you think Sakurai would break his main characters first "rule"? Closest he came to that was having ROB show up, while the actual player avatar, Professor Hector, is still nowhere to be seen in any Smash game. I imagine he'd only do it under very specific circumstances.

Top Bottom