• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Hmm master hand has a spirit and is playable in wol before you take on both bosses

What do you guys think? Dose this help?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hmm master hand has a spirit and is playable in wol before you take on both bosses

What do you guys think? Dose this help?
Make him playable in the full game and yeah it would help but otherwise that was just a one time thing.

I would actually like having Master hand playable as a character you can only play as in certain modes, it would be pretty sweet, he was kinda fun to play as in world of light.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Make him playable in the full game and yeah it would help but otherwise that was just a one time thing.

I would actually like having Master hand playable as a character you can only play as in certain modes, it would be pretty sweet, he was kinda fun to play as in world of light.
Like in the Boss modes of Hyrule Warriors. That would actually be really cool to have special events where you have to play as the different bosses.

YourNewOverlord

Smash Rookie
Guys, I haven't kept up with this board in a long time (since long before Ultimate leaked online), so give it to me straight. What do we really think Shantae's chances are now on getting in as DLC? Personally, I feel like it is this game or never...

D

Deleted member

Yes I did it I got all 1297 spirits!

And I wasted all this for nothing

Now I want spirits to be dlc soon including shantae

Spirits don’t deconfirm

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Guys, I haven't kept up with this board in a long time (since long before Ultimate leaked online), so give it to me straight. What do we really think Shantae's chances are now on getting in as DLC? Personally, I feel like it is this game or never...
Well, it depends on whether or not more fighter passes or miscellaneous DLC gets approved. Though chances might increase if WF gets to put out a new Switch-bound Shantae entry by then.

I wish we could be certain about that. But alas.....

That said, at worst it would only be for Season 1 anyway.
Yeah, the thing to be really concerned about is ATs anyway. Shovel Knight was born too early, but he'll get his chance another time.

D

Deleted member

I don't think spirits are deconfirmation. According to a recent article, spirits were decided on by a separate team. Sakurai didn't decide them. This also means that Sakurai didn't have plans of including Shantae as a spirit...but for her to be included, you have to have the rights to her.

So, again, Sakurai didn't plan to include her as a spirit, but he had the rights to her anyway.

She isn't an assist trophy, so I wonder why Sakurai has the rights to her ;)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think spirits are deconfirmation. According to a recent article, spirits were decided on by a separate team. Sakurai didn't decide them. This also means that Sakurai didn't have plans of including Shantae as a spirit...but for her to be included, you have to have the rights to her.

So, again, Sakurai didn't plan to include her as a spirit, but he had the rights to her anyway.

She isn't an assist trophy, so I wonder why Sakurai has the rights to her ;)
That would also explain the various weird character absences, the Ice Climbers not having any artwork whatsoever despite their origin game coming in a box and how ROB somehow ended up with real-life photographs for his non-fighter spirits.

Oh, and please link the article for future reference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And if spirits deconfirm, Sakurai would have to base the DLC off of what the separate team chose. That is something I don't see him doing. According to another recent article from IGN with Reggie, Reggie said "Sakurai has really been the driver in thinking about what types of characters would bring a fun, unique play style to the roster."

Reggie wants Sakurai's approach on the DLC, so it actually implies that Sakurai chose the DLC, despite him tweeting that Nintendo did.

So yeah, Sakurai is technically choosing the DLC, not basing his choices on who the team chose as the spirits.

Shantae has good chances honestly with Sakurai not planning to make her a spirit but having the rights to her anyway

KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 https://nintendoeverything.com/masahiro-sakurai-super-smash-bros-ultimate-interview/2/

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

She isn't an assist trophy, so I wonder why Sakurai has the rights to her
Because she's a spirit. Also, you'd do well to remember that Sakurai isn't all on his own. The Smash team as a whole has the rights to her and mass of other spirits showing up.
And if spirits deconfirm, Sakurai would have to base the DLC off of what the separate team chose.
Or it's the other way around simply and the spirits team based their chocies around the DLC, especially if it was already decided by Nintendo and then subsequently selected by Sakurai out of whatever collection of fighters they proposed to him.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Because she's a spirit. Also, you'd do well to remember that Sakurai isn't all on his own. The Smash team as a whole has the rights to her and mass of other spirits showing up.

Or it's the other way around simply and the spirits team baed their chocies around the DLC, especially if it was already decided by Nintendo and then subsequently selected by Sakurai out of whatever collection of fighters they proposed to him.
That makes more sense, then the team decided which spirits to include and included the remaining requested characters to prevent more hateful comments sent their way.

D

Deleted member

Guys. Piranha plant doesn't have a spirit.
PP is a bonus, and it could have simply been the choice of the team who decided the spirits.

Remember that spirits are a replacement of trophies, and Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 before they were DLC.

In Smash 4, there were characters who had trophies and characters who didn't. This DLC will most likely be no different.

Or it's the other way around simply and the spirits team baed their chocies around the DLC, especially if it was already decided by Nintendo and then subsequently selected by Sakurai out of whatever collection of fighters they proposed to him.
If that is the case, then it wouldn't make sense that there are playable characters with spirits. For instance, there is a spirit called Pit (Classic). Despite the label, this is the same character as the playable Pit we have. There was an update that added a Pikachu (Let's Go) spirit, but again, same character as the playable Pikachu we have.

And as of now, you can't label the Shantae spirit anything different than "Shantae" without hinting at something

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
That makes more sense, then the team decided which spirits to include and included the remaining requested characters to prevent more hateful comments sent their way.
The thing that stands out is the lack of a Pirhana Plant spirit. Other spirits that tend to be arts of fighters are either alt looks, older looks, or looks with a variation in the looks and/or titles. Fighter ones resemble their current looks, or at least their looks in Smash more so. And any non-fighter ones have disclaimers that separate them.

Remember that spirits are a replacement of trophies, and Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 before they were DLC.
Be that as it may, Spirits are treated quite a bit differently in some capacities as well so it's not completely one-to-one, especially regarding Season 1 DLC.
And as of now, you can't label the Shantae spirit anything different than "Shantae" without hinting at something
Or if there's nothing to hint at in the first place. :U
a Pikachu (Let's Go) spirit, but again, same character as the playable Pikachu we have.
No....that's not the same pikachu. Come on now. That's a stretch at best.
For instance, there is a spirit called Pit (Classic). Despite the label, this is the same character as the playable Pit we have.
You've got to notice the trend though. Those kinds of spirits like Pit (classic), Young Samus, Kaptain K. Rool. They all are variations that aren't fighter spirits. Thinking about it, why would the spirits go out of their way to point out such if they didn't matter?

Furthermore, there's Ridley's case. Meta Ridley, one of his alts has a flipping fighter spirit. But Omega Ridley doesn't. He just has an equippable spirit. Which is in line with say, PP who's final smash,Petey Pirhana does have a spirit ala Giga Bowser.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Man, I gotta say, it really is amazing. Before August 8th, this year in 2018, this thread had only 18 pages. Amazing what wonders the hope boost after that direct must've done.
So really, this also means that the chances of Kirby characters haven't gotten any higher or lower.
Oh? If we're going by spirits, Adeleine is still in the running.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, I gotta say, it really is amazing. Before August 8th, this year in 2018, this thread had only 18 pages. Amazing what wonders the hope boost after that direct must've done.

Oh? If we're going by spirits, Adeleine is still in the running.
Yes, but the spirits themselves were picked by the separate team. Then again, who knows? They're probably deliberately planning something, seeing as there's the curious inclusion of a 64 song. Regardless of anything, spirits-wise they certainly have modern/non-Sakurai Kirby works in the mind.

Meanwhile, Geno is not only a legendary spirit, but one of the only spirits from Square-Enix. That might be telling.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
But why would they go for literally who as a new Kirby rep?
Eh, I wouldn't call her that, especially with the love and spotlight she's been getting lately.
Yes, but the spirits themselves were picked by the separate team.
And like I said earlier, this could be their response to whatever orders Nintendo on high gave.
Then again, who knows? They're probably deliberately planning something, seeing as there's the curious inclusion of a 64 song.
Indeed. Consider this: It's suspicious that PP's spirit is missing, just as it's suspicious that out of all the Kirby characters despite getting a resurgence, Adeliene is suspiciously missing, despite FAR MORE obscure characters getting in as spirits.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Going back to Shantae, I wonder if this means the rights to her were super-easy to get for a couple of spirits alone. This, by itself, bodes well.

Eh, I wouldn't call her that, especially with the love and spotlight she's been getting lately.

And like I said earlier, this could be their response to whatever orders Nintendo on high gave.

Indeed. Consider this: It's suspicious that PP's spirit is missing, just as it's suspicious that out of all the Kirby characters despite getting a resurgence, Adeliene is suspiciously missing, despite FAR MORE obscure characters getting in as spirits.
Even more, every single paint-related character that isn't Elline isn't around. Even Paint Roller, a Sakurai original (patent pending).

Also, Sylux's obvious absence, when lesser known MP Hunters are around.

D

Deleted member

The thing that stands out is the lack of a Pirhana Plant spirit. Other spirits that tend to be arts of fighters are either alt looks, older looks, or looks with a variation in the looks and/or titles. Fighter ones resemble their current looks, or at least their looks in Smash more so. And any non-fighter ones have disclaimers that separate them.

Be that as it may, Spirits are treated quite a bit differently in some capacities as well so it's not completely one-to-one, especially regarding Season 1 DLC.

Or if there's nothing to hint at in the first place. :U

No....that's not the same pikachu. Come on now. That's a stretch at best.

You've got to notice the trend though. Those kinds of spirits like Pit (classic), Young Samus, Kaptain K. Rool. They all are variations that aren't fighter spirits. Thinking about it, why would the spirits go out of their way to point out such if they didn't matter?

Furthermore, there's Ridley's case. Meta Ridley, one of his alts has a flipping fighter spirit. But Omega Ridley doesn't. He just has an equippable spirit. Which is in line with say, PP who's final smash,Petey Pirhana does have a spirit ala Giga Bowser.
The Pikachu spirit is the same character as the Pikachu we have in the game. Different label does not equal different character.

The Pit spirit and playable Pit are the same character. Again, different label does not equal different character.

If they are replacements of characters, why make the spirits like the Pit spirit to begin with?

It doesn't matter if spirits are treated differently than trophies. At the end of the day, they are replacements of trophies, and there we playable characters as DLC who were trophies before they were playable

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Partner Pikachu is different from the Smash bros Pikachu in the same way bandana Dee is different from Waddle dee.

Both of them are generic enemies but they have something that sets them apart from the rest, Bandanna Dee is good with spears and partner Pikachu can learn different elemental attacks and can't learn volt tackle

So yeah Smash Pikachu IS A different character because it can't do the elemental attacks.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Show character models, no one blinks an eye. Show JPGs, and everyone loses their minds.

Anyway, let's remember that since they've been pressed for time, they had to sacrifice some elements in order to focus on the backbone of the game. They didn't even get the time to make regular enemy models this time around, aside for those that are items and ATs, since that would also take a lot of time and effort. They also made brand-new bosses, while only bringing back a handful (Porky in particular is a big omission).

So in that sense, Spirits also are such a compromise, in exchange of leaving out regular trophies.

D

Deleted member

Then you still have the Pit spirit. Same character as playable Pit, although I believe playable Pikachu and spirit Pikachu are the same character

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The Pikachu spirit is the same character as the Pikachu we have in the game.
You do know there are multiple Pikachus right? What on earth gives you the idea that they're the same character when all other evidence points to the contrary?
The Pit spirit and playable Pit are the same character. Again, different label does not equal different character.
And I never stated they were different characters. I stated that they have different titles as they're addressed. Now, show me an equippable spirit that's exactly the same name as a fighter, as well the looks, and then you've got a case to make.
If they are replacements of characters, why make the spirits like the Pit spirit to begin with?
Because the spirits team felt quirky like that? Look, outside of potentially avoiding Season 1 DLC fighters, I don't think the spirits team really had a straight directive other than just getting whatever spirits they could in there. The spirit battles themselves reference them in fights, so it could be they're just paying homages to the history.
It doesn't matter if spirits are treated differently than trophies. At the end of the day, they are replacements of trophies, and there we playable characters as DLC who were trophies before they were playable
Debatable. There were far less trophies than there are spirits. And even then the circumstances regarding DLC back then, don't match the circumstances of now. And unlike spirits, trophies weren't touted as some way to enjoy characters otherwise not playable in Smash.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The Pikachu spirit is the same character as the Pikachu we have in the game. Different label does not equal different character.

Yeah I believe that Spirits do not deconfirmed characters. At least when it comes to DLC.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
For one the characters who were trophies were characters from past games so they already had a moveset available.

D

Deleted member

You do know there are multiple Pikachus right? What on earth gives you the idea that they're the same character when all other evidence points to the contrary?

And I never stated they were different characters. I stated that they have different titles as they're addressed. Now, show me an equippable spirit that's exactly the same name as a fighter, as well the looks, and then you've got a case to make.

Because the spirits team felt quirky like that? Look, outside of potentially avoiding Season 1 DLC fighters, I don't think the spirits team really had a straight directive other than just getting whatever spirits they could in there. The spirit battles themselves reference them in fights, so it could be they're just paying homages to the history.

Debatable. There were far less trophies than there are spirits. And even then the circumstances regarding DLC back then, don't match the circumstances of now. And unlike spirits, trophies weren't touted as some way to enjoy characters otherwise not playable in Smash.
Yes, you never said they were different characters, but having a different label doesn't matter when being equipped to a character. As long as they are the same character, then that is an example of a confirmed character as a spirit.

You could argue that trophies were created for the reason you stated that spirits were. But, again, it's hard to say.

Hadokeyblade Hadokeyblade Same could be said for the characters who were decided who could be DLC. They have a moveset available for them by Sakurai.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You could argue that trophies were created for the reason you stated that spirits were.
Considering how Nintendo never said that with trophies while they did with spirits, the lack of evidence for that ideal speaks volumes.
As long as they are the same character, then that is an example of a confirmed character as a spirit.
Not when you don't have a spirit that negates the pattern. Again, show a Pirahna Plant spirit, or a non-fighter spirit that looks the same and doesn't even a disambiguation title attached and the Spirits theory would have been dead by now.

D

Deleted member

Considering how Nintendo never said that with trophies while they did with spirits, the lack of evidence for that ideal speaks volumes.
Not when you don't have a spirit that negates the pattern. Again, show a Pirahna Plant spirit, or a non-fighter spirit that looks the same and doesn't even a disambiguation title attached and the Spirits theory would have been dead by now.
For the trophies, that's why I said after, "it's hard to say."

I will remind everyone that PP is a bonus and it could have just been the spirit team who decided not to make him a spirit.

I will say, we both have some good points, but in the end, we all have our opinions and we don't know for sure if spirits deconfirm or not. I don't believe they do, so I think Shantae has a good chance at DLC

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I will remind everyone that PP is a bonus and it could have just been the spirit team who decided not to make him a spirit.
Why would they all of a sudden decide not to though?
For the trophies, that's why I said after, "it's hard to say."
Honestly speaking, that doesn't make a lick of sense since trophies aren't really considered "playable" in any sense, and they didn't function in any way, expect as a collectable incentive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why would they all of a sudden decide not to though?
Honestly speaking, that doesn't make a lick of sense since trophies aren't really considered "playable" in any sense, and they didn't function in any way, expect as a collectable incentive.
Again, that's why I said "but it's hard to say." However, try to arguy that they function differently, but spirits are a replacement of trophies.

Since PP is a bonus and was announced during the final Smash Direct as a bonus, some people think he was planned for the base roster, but we don't know for sure

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Just had a thought... Does anyone know how long it would take to create a build of a character? Shantae was shown off on 11/1/18 in a direct. If Nintendo decided after that point that they wanted her it would've been odd to remove her sticker after being prominently displayed. They didn't have game play or even a character model (like Mewtwo) of Joker which makes me feel that the decision for DLC was decided not too far before the release. Enough time to animate that sequence, but not enough for an in-game model.
this isn't for or against her getting in. It's just a thought that someone can expand on or shut down.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just had a thought... Does anyone know how long it would take to create a build of a character? Shantae was shown off on 11/1/18 in a direct. If Nintendo decided after that point that they wanted her it would've been odd to remove her sticker after being prominently displayed. They didn't have game play or even a character model (like Mewtwo) of Joker which makes me feel that the decision for DLC was decided not too far before the release. Enough time to animate that sequence, but not enough for an in-game model.
this isn't for or against her getting in. It's just a thought that someone can expand on or shut down.
The only characters we know were seriously planned early were the ones in the base roster, they're likely the only ones the spirits team had to keep in mind when deciding on spirits. Piranha Plant had to have been planned pretty early too in order to have a gameplay demonstration prior to release, regardless of whether or not he was intended to be a base character.

I said this before about Joker, but if it wasn't known he was coming as a fighter, there'd be very little reason to include any spirit from Persona. The series has very little tying it to Nintendo and their inclusion would raise more than a few eyebrows. Basically, having spirits from that franchise would likely have people finding Joker or any other protagonist more likely instead of the other way around.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Basically, having spirits from that franchise would likely have people finding Joker or any other protagonist more likely instead of the other way around.
That is one way to look at it. But still, the fact that we have a consistent case so far when it comes to DLC characters is what's keeping the spirits theory in the ring.
The only characters we know were seriously planned early were the ones in the base roster, they're likely the only ones the spirits team had to keep in mind when deciding on spirits.
Not necessarily. We do know that DLC characters were in the works as early as 2015-2016, and were in the negotiations alongside the actual game.

Heck, they were planning a DLC reveal as early as E3 2018, regarding the little tweeted exchange between Keighly and Reggie.

And it could be argued that in such a case, DLC was finalized and chosen before all the spirits were picked. Especially since they pretty much said they were done choosing them in the November direct.
I said this before about Joker, but if it wasn't known he was coming as a fighter, there'd be very little reason to include any spirit from Persona. The series has very little tying it to Nintendo and their inclusion would raise more than a few eyebrows. Basically, having spirits from that franchise would likely have people finding Joker or any other protagonist more likely instead of the other way around.
Meh. We technically got a SMT spirit already anyway. No harm done there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom