• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
at this rate i think shantae has more fans on nintendo than xbox and playstation
No real surprise there. From the character design to the humor to the level designs... Shantae games feel right at home next to Nintendo platformers.

Doesn't hurt that all of her games were on Nintendo Platforms from their release (all but HGH being exclusive to Nintendo platforms on release and one still Nintendo exclusive) Basically Nintendo gamers all had more time to get into the series over other platforms.

D

Deleted member

Be ready everyone. somethings coming.

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No real surprise there. From the character design to the humor to the level designs... Shantae games feel right at home next to Nintendo platformers.

Doesn't hurt that all of her games were on Nintendo Platforms from their release (all but HGH being exclusive to Nintendo platforms on release and one still Nintendo exclusive) Basically Nintendo gamers all had more time to get into the series over other platforms.
Not to mention are heavily inspired by, and reference, many classic Nintendo franchises. So it's not just that Nintendo gamers have had more time to grow fond of Shantae, but it's familiar to them as well.

Just look at Ikki the ghost from Half-Genie Hero. That's about as direct of a reference as it gets before stepping into lawsuit territory. How many Playstation or Xbox owners even had a passing knowledge of who Nikki was? She doesn't speak to any of them; only 3DS owners at the time.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
In other news:
The results for the Slackerz matchup with Shantae against B&K should be posted some time today.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I actually agree with that (Undertale is being slept on tbh), but on that note, I want to point out something funny I've noticed: In Smash Ultimate speculation, I only ever see Shovel Knight mentioned in comparison to Shantae.

In Smash 4 DLC days, Shovel Knight was everywhere. It seemed like half the internet wanted him in Smash. But in 2018 he was only mentioned when someone was saying he was more likely than Shantae as an indie rep. It didn't seem like anyone actually wanted him anymore. Even his support topic on this site is completely deserted. What happened?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I actually agree with that (Undertale is being slept on tbh), but on that note, I want to point out something funny I've noticed: In Smash Ultimate speculation, I only ever see Shovel Knight mentioned in comparison to Shantae.

In Smash 4 DLC days, Shovel Knight was everywhere. It seemed like half the internet wanted him in Smash. But in 2018 he was only mentioned when someone was saying he was more likely than Shantae as an indie rep. It didn't seem like anyone actually wanted him anymore. Even his support topic on this site is completely deserted. What happened?
bandwagon

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

bandwagon
That, and he only has one game that also happens to be pretty recent (at the time of Smash 4, anyway).

If he didn't have DLC and if his creators had confirmed they won't be making a sequel for the time being, you can bet that support would have dropped sooner.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

Mostly bandwagon people. And some of those are people who hasn't even touched Shovel Knights actual game. There is some people who just want to antagonize Shantae fans by jumping on the SK wagon as well.

Just a big mess... There is honest supporters of SK who also wants Shantae in as playable. Just hard to hear with people screaming SK deserves to be playable, Shantae is lucky enough to get a Spirit.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Strike 1 is as KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 says: no sign of any sequel coming puts uncertainty on his relevance and future.

Strike 2: Guest starring in damn near every other indie game, including fighting games. You get the impression that Shovel Knight getting in Smash wouldn't really be special (beyond being the first playable indie), just being another appearance that Yacht Club is all too eager to allow.

And Strike 3: Assist. Nothing is impossible, but that doesn't change the fact people see that role as being the most unlikely to be promoted from.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Strike 2: Guest starring in damn near every other indie game, including fighting games. You get the impression that Shovel Knight getting in Smash wouldn't really be special (beyond being the first playable indie), just being another appearance that Yacht Club is all too eager to allow.
Eh, given we have folk like Ryu in, showing up in a lot of crossovers isn't really a good point to try and use against said character.

For one thing, those riiigh more exposure have an advantage if they're well received, which Shovel Knight generally is.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Eh, given we have folk like Ryu in, showing up in a lot of crossovers isn't really a good point to try and use against said character.

For one thing, those riiigh more exposure have an advantage if they're well received, which Shovel Knight generally is.
I mean to be fair most of the crossovers Ryu appears in have Capcom directly involved, Shovel Knight just appears in anything that it can get it’s hands on.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

In a vacuum, sure it doesn't mean much and could be seen as a positive.

But the thing with Ryu is, even outside the sheer difference in scope between the two franchises, the games Ryu crosses over in are usually developed by the owner Capcom anyway, and as such his inclusion usually serves the purpose of the games he appears in (representing Capcom's franchises as a whole, not just Street Fighter or Ryu himself). Even the crossovers involving Street Fighter specifically tend to maintain a diverse roster.

I mean to be fair most of the crossovers Ryu appears in have Capcom directly involved, Shovel Knight just appears in anything that it can get it’s hands on.
Pretty much the only crossovers he's been in that were not developed by Capcom are Smash and the Project X Zone games (both by Namco, and Monolith Soft for the latter).

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Yeah, but that doesn't really work against the character getting in. Only if one of those deals had some contract preventing him from showing up in something else could that hurt him.

Let's not forget also, it might actually be why he so far is the closest indie currently to being a fighter. An assist trophy is nothing to scoff at.

Also, no kidding Capcom's directly involved whenever Ryu is involved in a crossover. Kind of impossible to not do so considering that they own him.
Strike 1 is as KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 says: no sign of any sequel coming puts uncertainty on his relevance and future.
Try telling that to people clamoring for one-offs. Heck, try suggesting that to the Geno fanbase and you'll get steam rolled.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And Ryu is a Gaming Icon that's been around since the late 80s. Compared to him, SK is a new kid on the block (and I say this as a fan of him).

Not to mention that some games where SK was planned to appear in still haven't been finished for the time being. In his case it eventually just stops being a novelty to the point that it's nothing Special.

The point is, asking for him might have been a little too early, if we actually knew the ballot wouldn't actually take effect until now. Though being an AT is something, at least.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
>A wild shovel Knight fan appears!

Now, tbh, I never understood why Shovel Knight being in so many cross over is seen as such a negative thing or something to condemn. Is Shovel Knight making a splash throughout the indie scene hurting anything? Is it hurting Shantae?

And even if he's appeared in many stuff before, Smash is kinda a much bigger deal compared to other video game crossover stuff, so yeah, I'd say Shovel Knight being playable in Smash would still be kind of a big damn deal lol. (too bad it probably won't happen thanks to that pesky AT status...)

Not wanting to start anything with Shantae Supporters, Shantae is cool and all, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in wrt Shovel Knight.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Seriously this needs to stop now.
It's not like it's hurting anyone. The fans and companies want him because of how iconic they find him.

I don't get what's this thread's beef with Shovel Knight, but it's getting annoying.

And I speak as a Shantae supporter no less.
Not to mention that some games where SK was planned to appear in still haven't been finished for the time being. In his case it eventually just stops being a novelty to the point that it's nothing Special.
To the point where an appearance in Smash wasn't highly requested supposedly, it that it wouldn't have been amazing? Not so. The very fact that people went crazy over his appearance as an assist trophy contradicts that notion.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Also, no kidding Capcom's directly involved whenever Ryu is involved in a crossover. Kind of impossible to not do so considering that they own him.
Try telling that to people clamoring for one-offs. Heck, try suggesting that to the Geno fanbase and you'll get steam rolled.
I mean that most of the crossovers involving Ryu are inter-company crossovers or games that Capcom publishes like you know: Marvel vs. CAPCOM or Asura’s Wrath, a game published by Capcom. the games where Ryu appears as a guest are Smash, Granblue Fantasy, and Power Rangers: Legacy Wars. So it’s kinda unfair comparing SK to Ryu in terms of crossover material.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, a thought just occurred to me...

What if an indie is one of the fighter pass characters, and it's neither of the ones who got small appearances? I could see a third party (har har) in this supposed fanbase rivalry having seized a darkhorse victory.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't hate Shovel Knight. Didn't find his game as great as most everyone says but it's solid. I'm mainly just... concerned for him if he keeps up this Wolverine publicity over starring in his own games. What if the "bandwagon" effect mentioned earlier was caused by his frequent guest appearances convincing casual observers that they don't actually need to play his game to know him?

The longer he goes without a new game, the greater the chances that he'll be recognized for showing up in everything and nothing else.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't hate Shovel Knight. Didn't find his game as great as most everyone says but it's solid. I'm mainly just... concerned for him if he keeps up this Wolverine publicity over starring in his own games. What if the "bandwagon" effect mentioned earlier was caused by his frequent guest appearances convincing casual observers that they don't actually need to play his game to know him?

The longer he goes without a new game, the greater the chances that he'll be recognized for showing up in everything and nothing else.
That's a sensible point. If YCG shopped him everywhere so they can be financially secure enough to make their next game, this may have actually backfired in terms of people taking him seriously as a mascot.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
>A wild shovel Knight fan appears!

Now, tbh, I never understood why Shovel Knight being in so many cross over is seen as such a negative thing or something to condemn. Is Shovel Knight making a splash throughout the indie scene hurting anything? Is it hurting Shantae?

And even if he's appeared in many stuff before, Smash is kinda a much bigger deal compared to other video game crossover stuff, so yeah, I'd say Shovel Knight being playable in Smash would still be kind of a big damn deal lol. (too bad it probably won't happen thanks to that pesky AT status...)

Not wanting to start anything with Shantae Supporters, Shantae is cool and all, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in wrt Shovel Knight.
I’ve honestly never been able to get into Shovel Knight myself but I have no beef with him and I appreciate his impact on the indie scene.

However, there’s a difference between a splash...

and a freaking tidal wave.

His game isn’t 5 years old and I have never seen any video game character make as many guest appearances as him and it’s only gonna keep growing from here. I completely understand he’d make some guest appearances considering how big he got and there’s nothing wrong with that, but at this point to me it feels like Yacht Club is just cramming him down our throats at this point. He feels way oversaturated and like meleebrawler meleebrawler pointed out, this can very well backfire on them.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I want an unexpected third party to make a playable appearance just to see both fanbases implode on themselves.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
@Dyllybirdy Oh hey, look at this WayForward tweet!

Dang that Rotty is mighty cute, Dylan has to put that as his profile pic

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

What if an indie is one of the fighter pass characters, and it's neither of the ones who got small appearances? I could see a third party (har har) in this supposed fanbase rivalry having seized a darkhorse victory.
Undertale?

Ah, that's what we call the Darkstalkers Effect.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
xbox in general is just kind of eh these days
That's why I don't have a Xbox One because there isn't enough games that have caught my attention to be willing to buy it.

Hey guys: how is everyone?
I'm doing just fine. :)

Lol! Did they really have to throw in that reference.

If it's not Shantae or Shovel Knight, than who could it be? The only other options I could think of is either a Cave Story rep or a Undertale rep. I don't count Steve as a indie rep anymore because of him being owned by Microsoft.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I definitely think Shantae is the best pick for a retro rep.

I dont want to be mean to other indie character fanbases like some of them have been, I think it's great to cheer for whoever someone likes. Indie games in general are cool, I will just say that I find it wouldn't be very unique to have shovel knight in when he's in so many things.
If there's a new shantae game in the works on top of that, it could be great timing to have her be smash dlc. It's likely all going to be on the switch anyway. :)

I really like that shantae is both retro and modern at the same time. I love retro graphics, but they can be limiting too. I love how great the artstyle can get beyond pixelized stuff (even if I like those too), plus I'm a fan of cartoony stuff, and a lot of new gen kids probably are too. Just saying, it wouldn't be a bad choice for nintendo to go with her if they want an indie rep :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom