• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Has anyone tried asking Yacht Club Games questions about Smash? Their response might tell us if something's up.
Idk I Haven’t seen anyone ask if he’s dlc after he was shown as an AT

But for her.......that’s pretty common and no answer from WF or Matt saying like “we would love that to happen” or “that would be a dream come true” like what yacht said back in June

We live in a completely different age now then we did back in the Melee and Brawl days. A character can get popular a whole lot faster because of how big social media is compared to how it was back in those days. Shovel Knight got a lot of votes during the Smash Ballot and his game was less then a year old when that was going on, and he got a Assist Trophy which, is pretty impressive popularity for a character that existed less then a year when the Smash Ballot was going on. I'm pretty sure because of how popular both Shovel Knight and Shantae are, they will definitely get into the roster by Smash 6 or 7 because by than, I'm pretty confident we will get our first 3rd party western character into the roster.
I don’t think that the western 3rd party fighters won’t be a problem anymore

“Leave it to me!”
4511CECA-0A34-4FD3-8494-0F63982D3FDE.png

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Idk I Haven’t seen anyone ask if he’s dlc after he was shown as an AT

But for her.......that’s pretty common and no answer from WF or Matt saying like “we would love that to happen” or “that would be a dream come true” like what yacht said back in June

I don’t think that the western 3rd party fighters won’t be a problem anymore

“Leave it to me!”
View attachment 183743
I think our first western 3rd party character should definitely either be Banjo & Kazooie or Crash Bandicoot, not Steve.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think our first western 3rd party character should definitely either be Banjo & Kazooie or Crash Bandicoot, not Steve.
Sorry to say this to you but.....he really is coming we all have to accept it like I had to for a couple of weeks

Plus some leakers said their sources found him in a test build

Cresh bendicoot could still happen tho

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sorry to say this to you but.....he really is coming we all have to accept it like I had to for a couple of weeks

Well, I hope Katalina isn't coming than if that's the case.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on that day one Ender Dragon boss fight patch, like they said it would be in.

Any day now.

Seriously though, not even Steve is a guarantee at this stage. The leakers also said we'd have a SE reveal at the VGAs.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Besides, I could see her being considered for Wave 2 if there's enough demand. Especially if she's saved for last.

I don't know, in regards to third parties Sakurai usually makes it a point to have the characters be as faithful to their source as possible (with occasional concessions to be made, as with Pac-Man's case). It's kind of like if Mega Man sprouted his Super Adaptor jets for a few seconds and didn't change color at all. Meanwhile Bayonetta's moves were pretty much taken out of her games as is, she turned out to be among the most complex characters to play as, but they still did it.

I'm sure they'll/they'd come up with a pretty good solution. Besides, Kirby always gets new hats, and that makes him the most challenging character to develop for, compared to him Shantae would be a little easier.
Well going by your example Mega Man should be changing colour with every Robot Master weapon he uses, but that's neither here nor there...

A lot of people in this thread, myself included, have also brought up the idea of partial transformations similar to Corrin if full transformations aren't feasible. Have Shantae use moves from her transformations but rather than fully transform, she merely takes on a few traits such as growing a tail while performing a Monkey Bullet or her arms becoming the Harpy's wings to fly upward for an Up B. I think it's a creative liberty they could take that still feels true to Shantae. After all, they're still moves she uses and we already have plenty of cases involving characters doing things they normally can't to represent other aspects of their game/s and flesh out a moveset. Ness and Lucas using other party members PSI, and Pac-Man using a Galaga beam and Mappy trampoline are a few examples.
That's a cool thing I didn't consider in my idea. It was mainly just applying buffs to existing moves. But what if we took it a step further? There has always been a dilemma over whether or not Pirate Gear should be implemented because of the conflict of Pirate's Curse being the most beloved game, yet hardly typical for Shantae. Imagine if, normally, Shantae uses mainly pirate gear and fighter moves in her moveset. But activating a particular dance causes some of those moves to change into transforming into the respective animal to attack.

Example: Normally, Shantae's up special would be the cannon that gives her some extra jumps while firing downwards. But using the harpy dance changes it to flying around for a limited time as the harpy with it's two signature moves. Or her forward smash normally is the elbow strike from the first game, but the elephant dance turns it into the powerful, armoured elephant dash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well going by your example Mega Man should be changing colour with every Robot Master weapon he uses, but that's neither here nor there...

That's a cool thing I didn't consider in my idea. It was mainly just applying buffs to existing moves. But what if we took it a step further? There has always been a dilemma over whether or not Pirate Gear should be implemented because of the conflict of Pirate's Curse being the most beloved game, yet hardly typical for Shantae. Imagine if, normally, Shantae uses mainly pirate gear and fighter moves in her moveset. But activating a particular dance causes some of those moves to change into transforming into the respective animal to attack.

Example: Normally, Shantae's up special would be the cannon that gives her some extra jumps while firing downwards. But using the harpy dance changes it to flying around for a limited time as the harpy with it's two signature moves. Or her forward smash normally is the elbow strike from the first game, but the elephant dance turns it into the powerful, armoured elephant dash.
It's the closest I could think of, since it's tough to use existing third parties for the sake of comparison.

You're definitely on to something there though, that'd be a way to give Risky the Echo treatment while still cutting down potential dev time on her. Just lend her Shantae's regular pirate gear moveset, no strings or transformations attached. Boom!

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I picked up Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero Ultimate Edition on Switch the day before Smash came out. Gamestop had it new unopened on clearance so it was $10 off the price. Seemed like a no brainer to me since I never had nor played the game before.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I picked up Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero Ultimate Edition on Switch the day before Smash came out. Gamestop had it new unopened on clearance so it was $10 off the price. Seemed like a no brainer to me since I never had nor played the game before.
I still need to find a physical copy. I prefer those over digital ones. I just have terrible issues when it comes to online shopping from Amazon/Ebay where they miss up my order, or it never comes.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

So she’d basically be like Cloud then?

I’m still gonna stick by my own moveset ideas but I do see some potential in this and I guess I wouldn’t be too mad if they did something similar.

It's the closest I could think of, since it's tough to use existing third parties for the sake of comparison.

You're definitely on to something there though, that'd be a way to give Risky the Echo treatment while still cutting down potential dev time on her. Just lend her Shantae's regular pirate gear moveset, no strings or transformations attached. Boom!
I’m sorry I don’t know what it is but I’m still not comfortable with the whole Risky echo idea.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So she’d basically be like Cloud then?

I’m still gonna stick by my own moveset ideas but I do see some potential in this and I guess I wouldn’t be too mad if they did something similar.

I’m sorry I don’t know what it is but I’m still not comfortable with the whole Risky echo idea.
More like Shulk in that the dances buff specific parts of her character and moveset (although her normal moves would be different enough to be preferable in some cases), instead of a global speed buff and one time special buff that Cloud gets. A monkey dance would be her equivalent to Monado Speed: turning into a monkey whenever she dashes to make it faster and gain a more powerful dash attack in the form of Monkey Bullet.

Like it or not, Risky plays and fights very similarly to how Shantae did in Pirate's Curse, just with the addition of Tinkerbats in lieu of dancing.

Of course, her moveset would have to be a bit stronger overall compared to Shantae's normal moves to make up for the lack of powerful transformation attacks. Her up b could end in a hat glide where Shantae's doesn't, for example.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, little adjustments like that would be needed for her to be a Ken-type Echo, so to speak.
The Tinkerbats would likely be the biggest difference and key to her success without the explosive power granted by Shantae's transformations. Instead of dancing she could summon three levels of Tinkerbats based on their Half-Genie Hero appearances. Level one are the scimitar-wielders that charge forward. Level two throw molotovs that create a blaze much like Arcfire/Holy Water etc., and level three summons a flying Tinkerbat that fires a few spread shots from his gun. Summoning them all would be fairly lagless allowing one to easily attack in conjunction, but the trade-off would be that they all can be killed, possibly before they can get their attacks out, like Wild Gunman (although the flier would be a bit tougher to kill).

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
It's either that, or waiting 5-10ish years before she gets in as unique.

And at least 5 more afterwards before Rotty does, too.
Considering only 2 or of the 8 soon to be 9 third-party franchises have echoes I don’t think there’s anything wrong if they just prioritize making Shantae the best she can be for now.

More like Shulk in that the dances buff specific parts of her character and moveset (although her normal moves would be different enough to be preferable in some cases), instead of a global speed buff and one time special buff that Cloud gets. A monkey dance would be her equivalent to Monado Speed: turning into a monkey whenever she dashes to make it faster and gain a more powerful dash attack in the form of Monkey Bullet.

Like it or not, Risky plays and fights very similarly to how Shantae did in Pirate's Curse, just with the addition of Tinkerbats in lieu of dancing.
The only moves Shantae and Risky share are the pirate gear, and even then Risky only uses three of those moves. One of my concerns is the hitboxes would need to be redone to accommodate her sword, which even though Risky’s taller (another potential concern), is still lower than Shantae’s ponytail.

I just don’t want Shantae’s unique moveset potential to be sacrificed just so we could get an echo of Risky.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Not a fan of the idea of Risky as an Echo tbh. That would necessitate making Shantae's move set heavily based on Pirate's Curse, and while it's my favorite game in the series making Shantae primarily use Pirate Gear wouldn't really be true to the character or gameplay of the series as a whole. Moreover, are we giving Shantae a sword for all her normals or are we taking away Risky's to make her use Shantae's unarmed attacks? Sounds like a bad idea all around imo. Getting Risky on top of Shantae would be absolutely amazing, but I'd rather wait for a unique Risky than try to force the Echo angle.

D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Risky: Alright there partner you better delet dat **** at sonic speed right now

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
You know what, why not:

On-screen Entrance: a Tinkerbat pod lands on the stage and Risky jumps out just before it explodes

Neutral Attack: Slashes her sword twice which leads into a rapid jab.
Dash Attack: Performs a slide-kick
Forward Tilt:
Up Tilt:
Down Tilt: Slashes her sword while crouching

Forward Smash: She throws her scimitar in front of her and returns to her like a boomerang
Down Smash:
Up Smash: Pulls out and detonates a Pirate Flare similar to Villager’s (maybe could work as an up throw instead?)

Neutral Aerial: slashes her sword in front of her similar to her neutral attack.
Forward Aerial:
Back Aerial:
Up Aerial:
Down Aerial: Divebombs at a diagonal angle.

Grab: Uses her Grappling Hook as a tether, can be used for a tether recovery.
Pummel:
Forward Throw:
Back Throw:
Up Throw:
Down throw: Throws the opponent to the ground and stomps on them with one foot

Neutral Special: Flintlock Pistol-Similar to Fox’s fires small pellets that do small damage, can be charged, second phase fires three pellets at once that travel faster, third phase shoots out a bomb that explodes on contact.

Side Special: Scimitar Dash-similar to Fox Illusion, she dashes forward with great speed and does damage to anyone in her path.

Up Special: Cannon Jump-pulls out and rides atop a cannon, can be fired up to three times and the cannonballs do damage to any opponents below.

Down Special: Tinkerbat Summon-sends out a Tinkerbat that attacks with a sword, could potentially have ones that throw torches and ones that dash with battering rams.

Final Smash:

Taunts:
Neutral-Performs her Noblewoman’s laugh
Side-
Down-Lies down on the ground with her hand on her cheek and a smug look

Idle Animations:
-Pulls this pose:
16357352-C65F-49E6-92CD-12FC27B5420B.jpeg
-

Victory Animations:
-Shoots her pistol twice before draping her pistol arm on her head with a sinister grin (reference to her pose in the GBC game)
-
-

Other Details:
-She can descend slowly with her hat

Could use a lot of help filling in the blanks

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Getting Risky on top of Shantae would be absolutely amazing, but I'd rather wait for a unique Risky than try to force the Echo angle.
Yeah, and I doubt we'll somehow get both at once, so, everyone do like I do.

WAITING--meme-11245.jpg

Just without the death part, hopefully.

Edit: And it looks like Suda definitely deconfirmed Travis during his TSA event. That's refreshingly forthright, I'll say, so at least his fans aren't being kept in limbo any longer.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not a fan of the idea of Risky as an Echo tbh. That would necessitate making Shantae's move set heavily based on Pirate's Curse, and while it's my favorite game in the series making Shantae primarily use Pirate Gear wouldn't really be true to the character or gameplay of the series as a whole. Moreover, are we giving Shantae a sword for all her normals or are we taking away Risky's to make her use Shantae's unarmed attacks? Sounds like a bad idea all around imo. Getting Risky on top of Shantae would be absolutely amazing, but I'd rather wait for a unique Risky than try to force the Echo angle.
The definition of echo has gotten looser and looser with each one that was revealed. First Chrom showed that they could have at least one unique move. Then Dark Samus showed that they could have drastically different animations, and finally Ken took what Chrom did up to eleven AND has different attributes to boot. The only real deciding factor seems to be whether Sakurai considers a character an echo or not.

A sword slash could easily replace any attacks using Shantae's hair whip.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
honestly, the chances of shantae getting in are pretty slim considering her competition getting both her and risky boots would be impossible

I'd like both her and risky but shantae as a whole isn't a big enough series to get such a treatment

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not really on the boards a lot. but hope you all have some good holidays :)
enjoy smash & shantae

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman

You should never say something with this amount of certainty, especially when it's not confirmed. My favorite part of the Grinch leak was revisiting the cocky comments people posted about how it's gospel. At this moment, you sound as ridiculous as them, my dude. Take it down a notch. Saying "my source" is a joke. It's the new "my uncle's brother's goldfish works at Nintendo."

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
Until the bigger third party franchises get more characters from their series I wouldn't entertain the idea of one getting in from a series that doesn't even have a fighter yet.

Personally I wouldn't want Risky in anyways as I'd rather we get a character from a different game so we get more widespread representation. If Shantae becomes a franchise on the level of say Mario or LOZ then I'll entertain it getting multiple fighters.

D

Deleted member

You should never say something with this amount of certainty, especially when it's not confirmed. My favorite part of the Grinch leak was revisiting the cocky comments people posted about how it's gospel. At this moment, you sound as ridiculous as them, my dude. Take it down a notch. Saying "my source" is a joke. It's the new "my uncle's brother's goldfish works at Nintendo."
I’m not negative about it I’m just saying hes starting to become more likely and I’m not doing anything against shantaes chances. And I am not trying to gossip anyone and i do not sound ridiculous please I just want all the stuff I said back then to wipe away this is the new Connorb0t2.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I enjoy that, so thank you!
I kinda wish Link was a girl instead
You and me both. Well doesn't have to be 'instead', and There's at least Linkle for some stuff, which is pretty neat. Pretty doubtful she'd show up in smash, but someone can enjoy dreaming :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom