• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

That’s because they were requested back in brawl the whole shantae thing is different from :ultridley:and:ultkrool: because she was a ballot request. so don’t get any ideas

Last edited by a moderator:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
not every ballot request is gonna get in as a character...shantae has a difficult battle on her hands just getting considered for smash and an even harder one getting in

how could shantae get in over someone like crash bandicoot or a fire emblem rep?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
i feel like the fact King K.Rool and Ridley had to wait as long as they did just to get into smash doesn't make me feel super great about shantae's chances now
Comparing the villains of already represented franchises to one's protagonist is kind of apples and oranges, don't ya think? We also have a long DLC life ahead of us and no pesky veterans to compete with there. And, we're in the unique position of being able to make our demand known and/or increase it within the game by using Shantae's online tag. Star power isn't everything, but Nintendo certainly hasn't been shy about promoting her in the past and it doesn't look like that's changing anytime soon.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hadokeyblade Hadokeyblade i want you to ask me this

What made you say shantae as an assist trophy during someone saying that she’ll get to do this?

Is it because you fear about her fate in the next smash game or is it because of what someone said to you or on a post?

Or maybe your secretly Hollywoodrok12 in disguise and you made another account?

Nah there’s no way.
A combination of the first 2, I don't even know who that guy is.

5 characters counts as a long DLC Life?
I think he's more referring to the fact that they found data for more than just 6 extra characters in the game fules, that along with Nintendo saying they want to focus more on updates and DLC for their products going forward implies that Smash will get another fighter pass eventually.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I’m sorry for this double post ( Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy ) but I can’t wait any longer because this thread is a ghost town right now I mean cmon!

She’s starting to love shantae right now
https://instagram.com/p/Brjam5vhzGt/
Relevant genie
1. You can edit your first post and add more to it you know. That way there's no need to double post.
2. Who is Christine and what's the significance of her playing Shantae in this scenario?
3. Getting on Hollywood and Hadokeyblade's case for doubting Shantae's chances when you have done the same. Of course, I agree that being overly negative about it is unnecessary and derails the thread, but people are free to doubt and express their reasons. Hado's been pretty good about that imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. You can edit your first post and add more to it you know. That way there's no need to double post.
2. Who is Christine and what's the significance of her playing Shantae in this scenario?
3. Getting on Hollywood and Hadokeyblade's case for doubting Shantae's chances when you have done the same. Of course, I agree that being overly negative about it is unnecessary and derails the thread, but people are free to doubt and express their reasons. Hado's been pretty good about that imo.
1.sorry
2.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrissy_Teigen
https://twitter.com/chrissyteigen/status/1074152392936054785
3.that was the old me this is the new me who says every text leak is fake and try’s to stay positive around here

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Look at it this way: at least you folks are not Captain Syrup fans like me. Do you have any idea how low her chances are? She hasn't been acknowledged in Smash at all until this very game, given how much content Wario Land gets.

So let's consider ourselves lucky that Shantae comes from a healthy series, given that she has more likelihood to be considered for Smash 6 at the earliest.

That being said, in some cases it's impossible not to double-post given how little activity some support threads get. Sure, I could simply edit if I said anything in those, but who would even know?

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
1.sorry
2.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrissy_Teigen
https://twitter.com/chrissyteigen/status/1074152392936054785
3.that was the old me this is the new me who says every text leak is fake and try’s to stay positive around here
1. No need to apologize (though some may beg to differ), just keep it mind for next time. You always apologize for DPing regardless, so it'd save you the trouble if you remember the edit option instead.

2. But what's the connection to Shantae here is what I mean. Or is she just someone you follow and it was a cool to see her try something you also enjoy?

3. Fair enough. But part of being more positive also means being more accepting of people's doubts. There are good reasons to think Shantae has a shot, but there also valid reasons to think she doesn't.

Look at it this way: at least you folks are not Captain Syrup fans like me. Do you have any idea how low her chances are? She hasn't been acknowledged in Smash at all until this very game, given how much content Wario Land gets.

So let's consider ourselves lucky that Shantae comes from a healthy series, given that she has more likelihood to be considered for Smash 6 at the earliest.

That being said, in some cases it's impossible not to double-post given how little activity some support threads get.
There are actually a few CS supporters in this thread, myself included, but I am definitely in agreement in regards to Wario Land getting the short end of the stick.

Fair point on bumping as well though I don't think activity here is quite dead enough for that yet. It is sluggish, but there are usually a few people lurking at the very least so someone responds eventually.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But what's the connection to Shantae here is what I mean. Or is she just someone you follow and it was a cool to see her try something you also enjoy?
More people are starting to recognize shantae and that’s good for her

That makes her relevant

Dukefire

Smash Master
Still, its on unstable ground if she is going to stay as a spirit or moving towards as a fighter in the near future.

Her fate will depend down the road.......

D

Deleted member

Still, its on unstable ground if she is going to stay as a spirit or moving towards as a fighter in the near future.

You do have a point

What I think is that there will be more dlc Nintendo would run out of choices and they would have to pick from the spirit

But that is just what I think we’ll just see what happens then
642B9203-86F2-46B2-BF47-D23046451BF4.jpeg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

One thing to look forward to first would the kind of spirit treatment Joker will get. Will it only be his fighter spirit? Or will we get a number of them from Persona 5, or even the Persona series as a whole?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think we'll at least get Yu Narukami and Door.

Those two are Atlus's golden boys along with Joker.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Shantae.png

It's been really fun spending my recent days paying through Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and the roster itself is perfect as is. Still, we know that there are 4 more characters coming through DLC outside of Piranha Plant and Joker of Persona 5. And looking at the cast, and what I'd like to see, I tend to look over to design choices, and how fun they would be for me.

Shantae is one of those characters. It was fun to find both hers, and Risky Boot's spirit within the World of Light campaign.
Shantae is one of those indie representation people have been wanting for years, and the fact that she is part of the game shows that she does indeed have support, both from Nintendo and WayForward. Spirits does not ultimatley disconfirm a character, which makes me believe that Shantae does have a shot to make it through DLC.

Now, why Shantae? Well, design vise, she is very unique, and we still don't have a hair attacking character on the roster yet (Poor Dixie Kong).
Shantae is not a series that I'm very attatched to, as I've never tried the game, but by being a speculator since Brawl, I've had her on my radar, and watching her popularity grow. There is no doubt that she would be unique, and fun. Transformation, hair whips, and other trickster moves could make her a fun, and exciting character on the roster. WayForward seems very cool about Shantae being utulized.

Therefore, I'd like to support Shantae during the speculation, and believe she would be a fun addition to the ever growing perfect roster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder if we'll get to see the OTHER Joker in his spirit pool.

The serial killer from the Persona 2 duology, I mean.

You do have a point

What I think is that there will be more dlc Nintendo would run out of choices and they would have to pick from the spirit

But that is just what I think we’ll just see what happens then
View attachment 183589
Well, technically, I don't think they'd be able to run out of choices per se, depending on whether or not the ballot gets glanced at occasionally.

While ignoring pointless fan picks like Goku and Shrek, of course.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
View attachment 183616

It's been really fun spending my recent days paying through Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and the roster itself is perfect as is. Still, we know that there are 4 more characters coming through DLC outside of Piranha Plant and Joker of Persona 5. And looking at the cast, and what I'd like to see, I tend to look over to design choices, and how fun they would be for me.

Shantae is one of those characters. It was fun to find both hers, and Risky Boot's spirit within the World of Light campaign.
Shantae is one of those indie representation people have been wanting for years, and the fact that she is part of the game shows that she does indeed have support, both from Nintendo and WayForward. Spirits does not ultimatley disconfirm a character, which makes me believe that Shantae does have a shot to make it through DLC.

Now, why Shantae? Well, design vise, she is very unique, and we still don't have a hair attacking character on the roster yet (Poor Dixie Kong).
Shantae is not a series that I'm very attatched to, as I've never tried the game, but by being a speculator since Brawl, I've had her on my radar, and watching her popularity grow. There is no doubt that she would be unique, and fun. Transformation, hair whips, and other trickster moves could make her a fun, and exciting character on the roster. WayForward seems very cool about Shantae being utulized.

Therefore, I'd like to support Shantae during the speculation, and believe she would be a fun addition to the ever growing perfect roster.
Speaking from experience, I feel that how much you get out of Shantae is magnified tenfold if you have a history with a good deal of Nintendo, especially the classics. The series pays plenty of homages to them if you know where to look. You can tell the devs have great passion for Nintendo games, and it shows with how well they've treated Nintendo, sticking with their platforms first and foremost even when all signs point to other platforms being more profitable. And with Shantae often being the headlining heroine of the Eshop's indie section, and now spirits and an online avatar in Ultimate, it's pretty safe to say Nintendo treats them in kind.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok so a bunch of crap happened the last week, like me losing my job :(

So what did I miss?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sorry to hear about that, hope you bounce back soon! But yeah you haven’t missed much right now.
Thanks. Already got a part time at gamestop and looking to make it fulltime, and will probably do uber starting next month too

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, still haven't lost faith in our girl. Honestly it's a matter of when, not if. At least to me anyways. But yeah, the future is unknown. Been thinking about how uncontrollable a lot of things are. And that's okay. Just hope everyone will carry on regardless. Sorry, I type weird things when I'm tired.

D

Deleted member

Guys I was a fool all along Steve isn’t the enemy he is the key to unlock western fighters in smash and he wasnt a Japan made character. he will be considered an Ally and it can help shantaes chances because she is western too

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just to make us think for a bit and might sound repetitive.

What does shantae has to offer that is different from the other fighters?

Hair- Bayonetta to summon Madama Butterfly and Gomorrah while using it as questionable clothing

Whip- Simon and Richter Belmont with the Vampire Killer

Magic- Zelda has some it covered.

D

Deleted member

Hair- Bayonetta to summon Madama Butterfly and Gomorrah while using it as questionable clothing

Transformations?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Would be hard to program. Especially for a DLC character.
Starting from scratch yes. Estimate time usually based on me would be months given 3 months minimum and could be reduced if that one can be done on a base of a character model already made

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

The transformations mainly. It's how they will be used that will distinguish them. I propose a mix of Game & Watch's per-move basis and Shulk's arts in the form of dances buffing certain of those moves.
Would be hard to program. Especially for a DLC character.
You mean like the shoto's command inputs?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The transformations mainly. It's how they will be used that will distinguish them. I propose a mix of Game & Watch's per-move basis and Shulk's arts in the form of dances buffing certain of those moves.

She could use the Pirate gear and the moves from her First Game on the Gameboy Color.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
[QUOTE="meleebrawler, post: 22852865, member: 265101"

You mean like the shoto's command inputs?[/QUOTE]
What I mean is that in a 3D animated fighting game like Smash a character who can shapeshift is hard to do right. Think about it, has there ever been one that's like that? Pretty much all of them are restricted to sprite based fighting games and I'm pretty sure nobody here wants her to be a sprite in this game lol

They COULD just do what they did with Pokemon trainer, Zelda/Sheik and Samus and to some technical trick where she isn't actually transforming but is actually swapping between her and one of her forms which are separate characters in the game files but that seems like too much effort for something that's only gonna be on screen for a few seconds and for a minor third party character

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I don't think transformation would be a nail in her coffin for DLC. Yeah sure, it would take longer to make a model and the animations for transformation. But I can see Sakurai's team doing it, also in the time frame as well.

Not all DLC characters of Wave 1 are going to released on the same day. That's impractical.

Then again, I might be reading this wrong, but I'm sick and can't comprehend what some of you are talking about.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
[QUOTE="meleebrawler, post: 22852865, member: 265101"

What I mean is that in a 3D animated fighting game like Smash a character who can shapeshift is hard to do right. Think about it, has there ever been one that's like that? Pretty much all of them are restricted to sprite based fighting games and I'm pretty sure nobody here wants her to be a sprite in this game lol

They COULD just do what they did with Pokemon trainer, Zelda/Sheik and Samus and to some technical trick where she isn't actually transforming but is actually swapping between her and one of her forms which are separate characters in the game files but that seems like too much effort for something that's only gonna be on screen for a few seconds and for a minor third party character
A lot of people in this thread, myself included, have also brought up the idea of partial transformations similar to Corrin if full transformations aren't feasible. Have Shantae use moves from her transformations but rather than fully transform, she merely takes on a few traits such as growing a tail while performing a Monkey Bullet or her arms becoming the Harpy's wings to fly upward for an Up B. I think it's a creative liberty they could take that still feels true to Shantae. After all, they're still moves she uses and we already have plenty of cases involving characters doing things they normally can't to represent other aspects of their game/s and flesh out a moveset. Ness and Lucas using other party members PSI, and Pac-Man using a Galaga beam and Mappy trampoline are a few examples.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think transformation would be a nail in her coffin for DLC. Yeah sure, it would take longer to make a model and the animations for transformation. But I can see Sakurai's team doing it, also in the time frame as well.

Not all DLC characters of Wave 1 are going to released on the same day. That's impractical.

Then again, I might be reading this wrong, but I'm sick and can't comprehend what some of you are talking about.
Besides, I could see her being considered for Wave 2 if there's enough demand. Especially if she's saved for last.

A lot of people in this thread, myself included, have also brought up the idea of partial transformations similar to Corrin if full transformations aren't feasible. Have Shantae use moves from her transformations but rather than fully transform, she merely takes on a few traits such as growing a tail while performing a Monkey Bullet or her arms becoming the Harpy's wings to fly upward for an Up B. I think it's a creative liberty they could take that still feels true to Shantae. After all, they're still moves she uses and we already have plenty of cases involving characters doing things they normally can't to represent other aspects of their game/s and flesh out a moveset. Ness and Lucas using other party members PSI, and Pac-Man using a Galaga beam and Mappy trampoline are a few examples.
I don't know, in regards to third parties Sakurai usually makes it a point to have the characters be as faithful to their source as possible (with occasional concessions to be made, as with Pac-Man's case). It's kind of like if Mega Man sprouted his Super Adaptor jets for a few seconds and didn't change color at all. Meanwhile Bayonetta's moves were pretty much taken out of her games as is, she turned out to be among the most complex characters to play as, but they still did it.

I'm sure they'll/they'd come up with a pretty good solution. Besides, Kirby always gets new hats, and that makes him the most challenging character to develop for, compared to him Shantae would be a little easier.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes congrats now put mighty switch force on the switch So I can make jokes about it

And they’re still ignoring the smash questions

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yes congrats now put mighty switch force on the switch So I can make jokes about it

And they’re still ignoring the smash questions
Has anyone tried asking Yacht Club Games questions about Smash? Their response might tell us if something's up.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i feel like the fact King K.Rool and Ridley had to wait as long as they did just to get into smash doesn't make me feel super great about shantae's chances now
We live in a completely different age now then we did back in the Melee and Brawl days. A character can get popular a whole lot faster because of how big social media is compared to how it was back in those days. Shovel Knight got a lot of votes during the Smash Ballot and his game was less then a year old when that was going on, and he got a Assist Trophy which, is pretty impressive popularity for a character that existed less then a year when the Smash Ballot was going on. I'm pretty sure because of how popular both Shovel Knight and Shantae are, they will definitely get into the roster by Smash 6 or 7 because by than, I'm pretty confident we will get our first 3rd party western character into the roster.

Top Bottom