• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I’m not negative about it I’m just saying hes starting to become more likely and I’m not doing anything against shantaes chances. And I am not trying to gossip anyone and i do not sound ridiculous please I just want all the stuff I said back then to wipe away this is the new Connorb0t2.
So essentially....you've got no proof again.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Reminder: please make sure to take anything with this:

grain-of-salt.jpg

Anyway, speaking of bigger names, I honestly wonder if anyone in the Rayman fanbase tried asking about Smash on Ubisoft's Twitter. I never heard about anything like that happening, yet the fans seem confident that he might get in by DLC at some point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Reminder: please make sure to take anything with this:

View attachment 183817

Anyway, speaking of bigger names, I honestly wonder if anyone in the Rayman fanbase tried asking about Smash on Ubisoft's Twitter. I never heard about anything like that happening, yet the fans seem confident that he might get in by DLC at some point.
And shantae the only one that has the mob smash theme and no one else

I think these 2 are getting remixes

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I hear the Lip supporters are planning to march onto online with their Lip-costume Miis and online avatars. Guess we're not the only ones campaigning... but it also makes you realise the fortune of being able to do something like this at all.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If anyone is still feeling afraid that Shantae isn't "big enough" to be playable in Smash... you have to consider that characters have been added for many reasons beyond star power, sales numbers and fan demand. It mainly comes down to the whims of Sakurai, and at least for this game we know his team had some say in what got in, namely spirits.

Even considering they're owned by Nintendo, characters like Ice Climbers would be something anyone would reasonably expect if they hadn't been included until now. Sometimes they're franchises or games that Sakurai personally likes, like Mother, Persona 5 or Xenoblade 2. One time a third party got in because his creator asked nicely. Or they're included more for their historical significance than being popular, like R.O.B. Or most recently, flat out reserving a spot for a character in a certain series in the hopes of finding something good (Incineroar from Pokemon). Who is to say Sakurai won't want to do something similar for indies? Even if Shantae isn't the one he selects, it would still be very significant for those in general.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If anyone is still feeling afraid that Shantae isn't "big enough" to be playable in Smash... you have to consider that characters have been added for many reasons beyond star power, sales numbers and fan demand. It mainly comes down to the whims of Sakurai, and at least for this game we know his team had some say in what got in, namely spirits.

Even considering they're owned by Nintendo, characters like Ice Climbers would be something anyone would reasonably expect if they hadn't been included until now. Sometimes they're franchises or games that Sakurai personally likes, like Mother, Persona 5 or Xenoblade 2. One time a third party got in because his creator asked nicely. Or they're included more for their historical significance than being popular, like R.O.B. Or most recently, flat out reserving a spot for a character in a certain series in the hopes of finding something good (Incineroar from Pokemon). Who is to say Sakurai won't want to do something similar for indies? Even if Shantae isn't the one he selects, it would still be very significant for those in general.
That's certainly true. It doesn't matter when a game or series came out, if Sakurai decides on a character from it, then by gum he'll gun for them.

In regards to the indie spot, I figure he might go after Quote (yeah, his game never got a sequel and simply gets updated rereleases, but he's still a big indie name), or someone used by Inti Creates (either Gunvolt or Jason), as second best options in case Shantae is passed over. Even the skelebros would do.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's certainly true. It doesn't matter when a game or series came out, if Sakurai decides on a character from it, then by gum he'll gun for them.

In regards to the indie spot, I figure he might go after Quote (yeah, his game never got a sequel and simply gets updated rereleases, but he's still a big indie name), or someone used by Inti Creates (either Gunvolt or Jason), as second best options in case Shantae is passed over. Even the skelebros would do.
Well I mean, the release date does matter a little. Can't do much to include a character in base if their game comes out well into the development of Smash. Nothing stopping him from making up for it through DLC down the line though. Back in the days of Melee & Brawl waiting for the next game really was the only option.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well I mean, the release date does matter a little. Can't do much to include a character in base if their game comes out well into the development of Smash. Nothing stopping him from making up fot through DLC down the line though. Back in the days of Melee & Brawl waiting for the next game really was the only option.
That is true. If a recent game character isn't at least two to three years away from Smash release, they're outta luck. ARMS has been hit especially hard by this, in this instance. Although I would laugh and be happy if they went "heck, why not" and went with one of ARMS' DLC characters.

It's definitely easier on the fanbase than back in the day in this regard. Which reminds me of this cornball classic fan art from madfather:

d19i5hr-261880bd-ba6c-4438-81a7-f6477385ec20.jpg

I mean, two games before we'd get the guys on the right end, so yeah.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That is true. If a recent game character isn't at least two to three years away from Smash release, they're outta luck. ARMS has been hit especially hard by this, in this instance. Although I would laugh and be happy if they went "heck, why not" and went with one of ARMS' DLC characters.

It's definitely easier on the fanbase than back in the day in this regard. Which reminds me of this cornball classic fan art from madfather:

View attachment 183884

I mean, two games before we'd get the guys on the right end, so yeah.
Replace the two on the right with Ridley and K. Rool to update this for a new age. Think two games is bad? Try four.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: So, I browsed a bit through supper/JPsupper's Twitter account and came across this indie sketch collage:

Drx-nEcU0AElv1C.jpg

Although one commenter claimed that Shantae is not an indie.

Replace the two on the right with Ridley and K. Rool to update this for a new age. Think two games is bad? Try four.
Not to mention that Geno fans are in limbo at the moment, which still beats Krystal fans having their hopes dashed yet again.

That said, pretty accurate assessment.

That art by Genzoman? That style def looks like a Genzoman piece. Regardless, really nice artwork.
That would make sense, since he is involved with Udon as well.

Which reminds me, I wonder when they heck they'll publish that Shantae artbook...

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So how are everyone doing today?

#ShantaeForSmashDLC

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I don't know if you guys noticed but
RiskyBoots' spirit stands right next to King K. Rool, which I don't think is a coincidence given K. Rool's pirate persona. Imagining these two teaming up against monkey Shantae and Diddy/Donkey Kong would be amazing :D

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
heard some people say well since joker and PP don't have spirits shouldn't that mean characters like shantae are D.O.A.?

i wish spirits weren't in this game...it feels like too many people are using them as a gauge for what dlc to expect

like for example tracer doesn't have a spirit(overwatch)so that means she's a shoe-in for dlc right?

D

Deleted member

I don't know if you guys noticed but
RiskyBoots' spirit stands right next to King K. Rool, which I don't think is a coincidence given K. Rool's pirate persona. Imagining these two teaming up against monkey Shantae and Diddy/Donkey Kong would be amazing :D
Don't worry, I've noticed. I've brought it up here before.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So how are everyone doing today?

#ShantaeForSmashDLC
Doing good, I'll be heading off to a cousins reunion in a bit.

I mean...if you want to get TECHNICAL, her first game wasn't an Indie game since it was published by Capcom, but every game since has been just WayForward.
Yeah, the physical releases just happen to be published by other companies, like Rising Star and XSEED.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The fire will continue to grow until something arrives to douse it to the ground. Just remember to save a piece of it in case one should go the wrong way.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
heard some people say well since joker and PP don't have spirits shouldn't that mean characters like shantae are D.O.A.?

i wish spirits weren't in this game...it feels like too many people are using them as a gauge for what dlc to expect

like for example tracer doesn't have a spirit(overwatch)so that means she's a shoe-in for dlc right?
This is nothing new and is a holdover from the Melee and Brawl days, where trophies without fighters really was a death knell for the character in a given game.

You have to consider that getting a spirit or trophy or whatever of a third party character whose series isn't represented in any other way is exceedingly rare. The primary purpose of these things is to give insight into Nintendo's history. So what does that say about spirits like Shantae and Rayman who don't have the excuse of spirit representation being a formality of having a fighter or assist and their series in? At least one person in development must have felt that the Shantae series had a noteworthy enough spot in the game library of Nintendo systems that it had to be acknowledged in some way.

D

Deleted member

There are no rules for spirits that’s what people make up so don’t listen to what they say. we only listen to the rules sakurai says and those rules he says are official do you see him saying spirits deconfirm? Or how about no indies alowed in smash

And who cares about pp and joker not having spirits that doesn’t matter right now they knew they were gonna be fighters so they saved their spirits for dlc

And if people are saying spirits deconfirm they why did Matt make that shantae for dlc tweet he quickly deleted when shantae is already a spirit?

Dukefire

Smash Master
There are no rules for spirits that’s what people make up so don’t listen to what they say. we only listen to the rules sakurai says and those rules he says are official do you see him saying spirits deconfirm? Or how about no indies alowed in smash

And who cares about pp and joker not having spirits that doesn’t matter right now they knew they were gonna be fighters so they saved their spirits for dlc

And if people are saying spirits deconfirm they why did Matt make that shantae for dlc tweet he quickly deleted when shantae is already a spirit?
Maybe to avoid the backlash from some fans or could be for another reason behind the curtains. Who knows. Until then, what we do know that there are 4 more invites left for the Fighters Pass after Joker received (stole) the first one. Piranha Plant doesn't count since it is a separate character from the pass.

super_smash_bros__invitation_envelope_by_eltonnnnnn_d68r4tt-fullview.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe to avoid the backlash from some fans or could be for another reason behind the curtains. Who knows. Until then, what we do know that there are 4 more invites left for the Fighters Pass after Joker received (stole) the first one. Piranha Plant doesn't count since it is a separate character from the pass.

View attachment 183958
Maybe he wanted to avoid a NDA breaking, then pulled a Hashimoto before anyone big noticed.

In the meantime, we might get a Direct next month, so odds are there could be an incoming character announcement by then, alongside distribution of PP.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Maybe he wanted to avoid a NDA breaking, then pulled a Hashimoto before anyone big noticed.

In the meantime, we might get a Direct next month, so odds are there could be an incoming character announcement by then, alongside distribution of PP.
PP and it's amiibo won't be released until Feb 2019 arrives, not January the start of the next year

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've been thinking about which fighter would actually fit Shantae's spirit best. We've all had a good laugh with her in Zero Suit Shantae, but the truth is it's a concession between her Pirate's Curse incarnation and her normal transformation abilities. When speaking of pure Shantae, I think it's actually Zelda who fits the most overall.

Not only does she benefit the most from Shantae's equippable spirit's effect of boosting magic attacks, this particular incarnation of Zelda has just the right combination of idealism yet serious mind in the face of danger that Shantae is also known for. And as we've all noticed during speculation, they share a lot of mannerisms too.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I still genuinely believe shantae has her chance as she is still in my top 3 most wanted along geno and Isaac. I hope at least one of them make it in by the end of smash ultimates run with dlc. How likely do you guys think we are for a wave 2 of dlc?

Top Bottom