• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Does being a spirit still mean the character can still be new to the series tho? Sorry i haven't been paying attention to the whole "spirit deconfirms or doesn't deconfirm" situation for a while because it was tiring…
I’m sorry you haven’t been paying attention

But the awnser is NO

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Hate to say it guys and gals, but I've accepted her fate as only a spirit.

Starting to feel that indies weren't and aren't on the table for either party, simply because there are far more potent contenders as far as third party goes.

Wanna be proven wrong, but almost ready to jump ship and throw in the towel.

Still very much looking forward to these future additions regardless considering Joker left such a strong and promising taste and completely negated any worries I had over Ninty picking em this time around.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so let me see if I got this right...

Let's take Adeleine as an example of a character that isn't in as a spirit. She never showed up in any way, shape or form in Smash before, right? Not as a sticker, trophy or anything like that. If she were to be considered now, that would make her new to the Smash Bros. series, right?

Just making sure, because not much of anyone seems to grasp the true form of Reggie's comment right now.

BossGiygas.png

Hate to say it guys and gals, but I've accepted her fate as only a spirit.

Starting to feel that indies weren't and aren't on the table for either party, simply because there are far more potent contenders as far as third party goes.

Wanna be proven wrong, but almost ready to jump ship and throw in the towel.

Still very much looking forward to these future additions regardless considering Joker left such a strong and promising taste and completely negated any worries I had over Ninty picking em this time around.
It doesn't matter if she's not currently viable, never stop supporting for her! If people drop support for her because of this, Nintendo might think we weren't that interested in her for future Smash installments. Just look at the Isaac fans, they're not giving up even though he got a hard deconfirm (and are even fighting to try and bring back his series).

Glad to hear that last part though, that's the spirit.

Last edited:

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice

Let's take Adeleine as an example of a character that isn't in as a spirit. She never showed up in any way, shape or form in Smash before, right? Not as a sticker, trophy or anything like that. If she were to be considered now, that would make her new to the Smash Bros. series, right?

Just making sure, because not much of anyone seems to grasp the true form of Reggie's comment right now.

It doesn't matter if she's not currently viable, never stop supporting for her! If people drop support for her because of this, Nintendo might think we weren't that interested in her for future Smash installments. Just look at the Isaac fans, they're not giving up even though he got a hard deconfirm (and are even fighting to try and bring back his series).

Glad to hear that last part though, that's the spirit.
Said future Smash installments being like 10 years from now.

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman

If you are referring to the kirby character, no. theyre picking series who dont have righter reps already.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I know this doesn’t fully address the current matter, but I feel like at the very least, Shantae and Rayman are in better positions than some other characters to become playable due to having more than one design if the whole spirits thing is an issue. They could either use another design or replace the image with another design so they’re not limited with options for their models. Personally I’d prefer the latter option cause aside from my preference for the HGH design, her spirit battle feels tailored for Pirate’s Curse Shantae; and I feel Rayman’s Origins/Legends design feels much more at home with Smash than the first game, 2, and his 3 design is similar anyway.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh dear
View attachment 182673
Who are they gonna pick when they run out of ideas like crash doom guy and Scorpion?
Um, I'm pretty sure he was joking around. This is like "I wonder when I'll get to take a break" all over again...

I know this doesn’t fully address the current matter, but I feel like Shantae and Rayman are in better positions than some other characters to become playable due to having more than one design if the whole spirits thing is an issue. They could either use another design or replace the image with another design so they’re not limited with options for their models. Personally I’d prefer the latter option cause aside from my preference for the HGH design, her spirit battle feels tailored for Pirate’s Curse Shantae; and I feel Rayman’s Origins/Legends design feels much more at home with Smash than the first game, 2, and his 3 design is similar anyway.
That's a good point, right here. Heck, Shantae alone has had differing variants throughout the years.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hopefully we will have something to clear the smoke months later. Till then,

You cannot grasp the form of Reggie's attack

or

The form of Reggie's attack was inexplicable.

Your pick.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I know this doesn’t fully address the current matter, but I feel like at the very least, Shantae and Rayman are in better positions than some other characters to become playable due to having more than one design if the whole spirits thing is an issue. They could either use another design or replace the image with another design so they’re not limited with options for their models. Personally I’d prefer the latter option cause aside from my preference for the HGH design, her spirit battle feels tailored for Pirate’s Curse Shantae; and I feel Rayman’s Origins/Legends design feels much more at home with Smash than the first game, 2, and his 3 design is similar anyway.
Being limited in spirit art to use is kind of a non-factor, since Cloud proves they can always just fall back on using their Smash render for one as a last resort.

As far as preference for a given Shantae style, don't forget the possibility of alts. I wouldn't see them going as far as including each version of her (instead using a sort of hybrid as a base for colors), but her pirate getup is very likely as an option.

D

Deleted member

or

Your pick.
Or better yet.....

His final form.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

or

Your pick.
And don't forget What did Reggie do?

Being limited in spirit art to use is kind of a non-factor, since Cloud proves they can always just fall back on using their Smash render for one as a last resort.

As far as preference for a given Shantae style, don't forget the possibility of alts. I wouldn't see them going as far as including each version of her (instead using a sort of hybrid as a base for colors), but her pirate getup is very likely as an option.
Ninja outfit would be cool, too.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I didn’t know they had to do that for Cloud, then again why did I expect Square would allow even one existing image of Cloud. They’d likely still need to change the name of the original spirit to distinguish it from her fighter spirit regardless.

I mean I guess “Shantae (Pirate Gear)” works but to be fair, it might as well be Pirate’s Curse Shantae considering nearly every art of her aside from character portraits depicts her in that outfit.

(Also, until I see a balanced hybrid of all her designs that’s feasible for Smash, I’m gonna stick with hoping for her HGH design)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I didn’t know they had to do that for Cloud, then again why did I expect Square would allow even one existing image of Cloud.

I mean I guess “Shantae (Pirate Gear)” works but to be fair, it might as well be Pirate’s Curse Shantae considering nearly every art of her aside from character portraits depicts her in that outfit.

(Also, until I see a balanced hybrid of all her designs that’s feasible for Smash, I’m gonna stick with hoping for her HGH design)
It's true, both Cloud spirits are his Smash renders. I wouldn't be surprised if his spirit fight is just him being straight up possessed by no one.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I’m sorry you haven’t been paying attention

But the awnser is NO
Alright thanks for the kind answer, I just had better things to do while people were still making up their minds on that regard. Also I guess that's great that even being a spirit still makes a character NOT new to the series, so they still have a chance I guess by the logic i'm seeing here. Anyways, I hope you guys get your character then!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright thanks for the kind answer, I just had better things to do while people were still making up their minds on that regard. Also I guess that's great that even being a spirit still makes a character NOT new to the series, so they still have a chance I guess by the logic i'm seeing here. Anyways, I hope you guys get your character then!
No problem.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure why we take everything Reggie says at face value. He's a big part of Nintendo yes, but...he's Nintendo of America. Nintendo of Japan doesn't have to tell him everything. They don't have to tell him anything if they want to be surprising. We just have to wait and see what happens. Personally, I wouldn't expect another DLC reveal until after Piranha Plant is ready and they've shown some gameplay of Joker.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure why we take everything Reggie says at face value. He's a big part of Nintendo yes, but...he's Nintendo of America. Nintendo of Japan doesn't have to tell him everything. They don't have to tell him anything if they want to be surprising. We just have to wait and see what happens. Personally, I wouldn't expect another DLC reveal until after Piranha Plant is ready and they've shown some gameplay of Joker.
Yes. I mean, you don't see much people, if any, beyond me make cracks at Bill Trinen wanting the fat guy from Hockey on NES.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...with_nintendos_bill_trinen_and_nate_bihldorff

Trinen: And certainly, if they were all to rally for the fat hockey player from NES...

Nate: Hey man!

Trinen: That wouldn't happen.
So NOA people don't have much effect on anything.

Though you still gotta admit that Reggie immediately showing up wearing a Ridley t-shirt after Joker's reveal was a nice trolling moment.

My biggest stretch ever (for fun)
View attachment 182724
Coincidences are fun.

D

Deleted member

This, pretty much.

It doesn't matter that much if Shantae gets in in this particular Smash game or not. What matters is that she eventually will match the current characters as a recognizable mascot of her own franchise.

We recognize her, sure, but Shantae has still not gotten to the point where a new game from her franchise is hyped up to the same extent as, well, Persona. That, with her Nintendo history being kinda limited and niche, the only way she can prove herself for a mainstay crossover like Smash is by the franchise growing more than it already has.

It isn't like Wayforward is starting from scratch right now, but I still think we're ways off before we should reasonably expect her for the current gen mainstream crossover franchises.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
From the two images we've seen alone, I'm already half expecting the film to be a straight up comedy that purposely runs Sonic into the ground by making jabs at both the series and community. That's the pessimist in me though.

Realistically, it'll probably be a goofy action flick that takes itself seriously and runs itself into the ground by just being a mediocre movie (if not outright terrible that is.)

Or tinfoil theory; this isn't the final design and they're posting a design they know is terrible to get people talking, only to later reveal something that actually resembles Sonic and will in the end release a film that's at least mediocre and at best just ok. But that's the optimist in me and I don't listen to them too much on account of their winning streak at being wrong.

So after contributing to going off topic, I'd like to suggest bringing it back to Shantae or at least Smash Bros.

What's everyone think of World of Light so far? I've got mixed feelings on it tbh. It's alright, but I can't say I've been really enjoying much of it so far. I like the exploration aspect of it and seeing what characters made it in as spirits and who they're paired with is cool, but the actual fights make it tedious after a little while.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I've only seen people playing it, as I currently cannot play the game myself right now. World of Light looks like a lot of fun, but also a bit tedious if you aren't constantly finding spirits that you are excited for.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Not to go too of topic again, but once again it feels like there's no consistency when to comes to what's ok and what isn't. Mythra's spirit getting black leggings while Pyra's outfit was apparently fine is already weird. But now I found Tron Bonne and Juri (well sort, she's more so constantly exposed in that regard) who have actual up skirt shots in their art being fine as they are. I don't understand.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Not to go too of topic again, but once again it feels like there's no consistency when to comes to what's ok and what isn't. Mythra's spirit getting black leggings while Pyra's outfit was apparently fine is already weird. But now I found Tron Bonne and Juri (well sort, she's more so constantly exposed in that regard) who have actual up skirt shots in their art being fine as they are. I don't understand.
Maybe it's because they are third party? I imagine editing third party artwork is a bit more iffy than editing your own creations.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Maybe it's because they are third party? I imagine editing third party artwork is a bit more iffy than editing your own creations.
Possibly, but if there were an issue with their art then they simply wouldn't have been included no? The fact that they made it in means CERO/ESRB allowed it without raising the rating, yet Mythra apparently still required the change. It seems she was simply unlucky and there ended up being someone who took issue with her design. Regardless of who made what verdict on which characters, it still makes the censorship inconsistent overall.

Just as example argument.

Q: "If Juri can expose her thighs, why can't Corrin?"
A: "Corrin is an actual playable;e character with a full model you can view during gameplay and photo mode, etc. Juri is one among over a thousand pictures in Spirits you won't see much of."

Ok, fair enough so far.

Q: "OK, then if it's fine for Juri's spirit to expose her thighs and underwear, why can't Mythra have bare legs?"

And at this point any answer that would be given wouldn't work as there is no longer consistency.

When you have comparable characters such as Cammy who has fully exposed legs while Mythra is still wearing a skirt and choose to change the one that exposes less, these decisions don't hold up too well due to the lack of consistency.

My questions are: are Tails, Knuckles, Amy, or any of Sonic's other friends going to be in the movie? And if so, how badly are they going to be bastardized?
For everyone's sake, I hope Sonic is the only character from the games that's included in the film. I don't even want them to touch Eggman. Hopefully they came up with an original antagonist for the film.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...vis_strikes_again_no_more_heroes_presentation

>huge announcement
Oh boy, here we go again. From the looks of this, it'll either be NMH3, Travis in Smash, or something completely different.

For everyone's sake, I hope Sonic is the only character from the games that's included in the film. I don't even want them to touch Eggman. Hopefully they came up with an original antagonist for the film.
Last I checked, Jim Carrey was hired for the role of Eggman. At least he'll be okay, Carrey can make the best out of a bad movie situation he's put in.

That being said, even Bayonetta didn't get much in the way of censorship, as most of her outfit is intact. I guess this may be a way for the devs to stay in good relations with the third parties they collaborate with.

And on a side note, I am really starting to despise this divide between "more third parties would be cool alongside first parties" and "heck no, third parties don't deserve to be in Smash, let more of Nintendo's characters get their time to shine". I just hope this doesn't deter people from supporting more fighter passes. :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...vis_strikes_again_no_more_heroes_presentation

>huge announcement
Oh boy, here we go again. From the looks of this, it'll either be NMH3, Travis in Smash, or something completely different.

Last I checked, Jim Carrey was hired for the role of Eggman. At least he'll be okay, Carrey can make the best out of a bad movie situation he's put in.

That being said, even Bayonetta didn't get much in the way of censorship, as most of her outfit is intact. I guess this may be a way for the devs to stay in good relations with the third parties they collaborate with.
Ummm...
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...n-next-super-smash-bros-game-nintendo-switch/

They should have said all that during the ballot days

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, pretty much. Granted, I do remember him bringing up Smash during the Nintendo Power days, so I'm not sure Suda realizes how this works.

This, pretty much.

It doesn't matter that much if Shantae gets in in this particular Smash game or not. What matters is that she eventually will match the current characters as a recognizable mascot of her own franchise.

We recognize her, sure, but Shantae has still not gotten to the point where a new game from her franchise is hyped up to the same extent as, well, Persona. That, with her Nintendo history being kinda limited and niche, the only way she can prove herself for a mainstay crossover like Smash is by the franchise growing more than it already has.

It isn't like Wayforward is starting from scratch right now, but I still think we're ways off before we should reasonably expect her for the current gen mainstream crossover franchises.
Thing to keep in mind is, Persona apparently hasn't gotten too much notice before P5 came along. HGH might be that P5 equivalent, but came a little too late to influence anything for the current phase of the DLC (since Kickstarter games take a while to get finished, DLC included). It depends on what WF does next, or how many fighter passes come along.

In the meantime, I think I'll be grabbing Mummy Demastered, I owe myself that.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
While the "huge announcement" for the new No More Heroes game might be big news, I personally doubt a Smash reveal due to how soon after the Joker reveal it is. It's actually barely two weeks afterwards.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Possibly, but if there were an issue with their art then they simply wouldn't have been included no? The fact that they made it in means CERO/ESRB allowed it without raising the rating, yet Mythra apparently still required the change. It seems she was simply unlucky and there ended up being someone who took issue with her design. Regardless of who made what verdict on which characters, it still makes the censorship inconsistent overall.

Just as example argument.

Q: "If Juri can expose her thighs, why can't Corrin?"
A: "Corrin is an actual playable;e character with a full model you can view during gameplay and photo mode, etc. Juri is one among over a thousand pictures in Spirits you won't see much of."

Ok, fair enough so far.

Q: "OK, then if it's fine for Juri's spirit to expose her thighs and underwear, why can't Mythra have bare legs?"

And at this point any answer that would be given wouldn't work as there is no longer consistency.

When you have comparable characters such as Cammy who has fully exposed legs while Mythra is still wearing a skirt and choose to change the one that exposes less, these decisions don't hold up too well due to the lack of consistency.
I bet you there would have far more outrage over a character not getting in because of their sexy design than the other way around.

The issue with Mythra, or at least her artwork is that it is very easy to come to the conclusion that she actually isn't wearing anything at all underneath, regardless of whether that's true or not. Whereas with Tron Bonne and Juri you can easily see (and unless there's some true bare-legged art that I don't know of, they both have leggings like Mythra does now anyway).

I guess Cammy is pretty much the absolute limit on how much leg you can show on a female, but honestly it feels like a core part of her design. Her fighting style is all about fast movements and acrobatics, and she's very buff too so it's likely difficult to find good-fitting clothes while retaining all of her mobility.

Top Bottom