• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
What if one of the reasons we won't get a new smash game for nearly a decade is because Nintendo hope that fandoms like Golden Sun and Shantae move on to something else and stop pestering them to add those characters to the game?
That doesn't make a lick of sense. We know the reason is more so in line with Nintendo aiming to give the Switch a life term of about 10 years. And considering how ultimate Smash Ultimate is turning out to be, people aren't really in a hurry to move onto Smash 6.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Nothing new for the waters other then a new patch and spirit board events. Its been going slow.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Hold up. Shantaes spirit isn't her initial incarnation. it’s the one from hgh. Could they use her gbc form for her Fighter Spirit?
Any other artwork of her will do. Heck, even one of her different artwork poses from Half genie hero could get the job done. Or.....there's always the Cloud route. *Shudder*

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, I've at least heard about how the Spirits were all selected by a team, completely dedicated to just that purpose...

Now, I wonder, how could they have possibly missed Rotty? :confused:
When it comes to third parties not represented by fighters, it seems one must be very selective. Nintendo franchises they can do whatever with, and represented third parties are given the treatment to whatever degree the parent company sees fit.

Shantae and Risky are the two characters the series revolves around, spent the whole of arguably the most popular game working together and the latter had a relatively elaborate game mode to herself in Half-Genie Hero. Any more than those two and things would start looking suspicious.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
When it comes to third parties not represented by fighters, it seems one must be very selective. Nintendo franchises they can do whatever with, and represented third parties are given the treatment to whatever degree the parent company sees fit.

Shantae and Risky are the two characters the series revolves around, spent the whole of arguably the most popular game working together and the latter had a relatively elaborate game mode to herself in Half-Genie Hero. Any more than those two and things would start looking suspicious.
Suspicious of what? Plenty of series represented solely in spirits have more than just two amongst the 1,297 spirits in total.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Hello all, just popping in from the Isaac thread to see how y’all were fairing.

Personally I think Shantae still has a shot. I find it hard to believe spirits 100% deconfirm a character. If that were the case then nearly every fan supported character (especially under Nintendo’s umbrella) would be deconfirmed.

That being said I don’t have as much hope for Assist upgrades.... unfortunately... heh

If I were to start playing Shantae, on the Switch, specifically, what game should I start with as someone who’s never played one of her games?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Personally I think Shantae still has a shot. I find it hard to believe spirits 100% deconfirm a character. If that were the case then nearly every fan supported character (especially under Nintendo’s umbrella) would be deconfirmed.

That being said I don’t have as much hope for Assist upgrades.... unfortunately... heh

If I were to start playing Shantae, on the Switch, specifically, what game should I start with as someone who’s never played one of her games?
Hi! How are things in the Isaac thread? :)

And, hmm, I'd recommend starting out with" Shantae and the Pirate's Curse", which is the third game in the series. It's widely considered to be the best one! Though, to fully understand the plot, you'd have to play "Risky's Revenge" first, but it certainly isn't necessary...

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I’d recommend playing Risky’s Revenge first if you have the means to do so, or at least watch a playthrough of it to understand the plot elements cause the next game Pirate’s Curse directly picks up where it left off, RR is short but I believe it’s cheap enough. Otherwise go to Pirate’s Curse then Half-Genie Hero.

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
Well, I've at least heard about how the Spirits were all selected by a team, completely dedicated to just that purpose...

Now, I wonder, how could they have possibly missed Rotty? :confused:
Because Rotty isn't important to the Shantae franchise and as a third-party they probably didn't feel it necessary to include more than the important characters.

D

Deleted member

Because Rotty isn't important to the Shantae franchise and as a third-party they probably didn't feel it necessary to include more than the important characters.
[EVERYONE HATED THAT]

Pirates curse. But first play riskys revenge cause it continues after that.

D

Deleted member

Rotty is like, second tier of importance in terms of the character cast of Shantae, Shantae, Uncle Mimic and Risky definitely being the only ones I'd consider first tier. Rotty is joined by Sky and Bolo on dat second tier, but is ofc higher up cause of the ending events of Risky's Revenge and the Pirate's Curse redemption arc. :4pacman:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Rotty is like, second tier of importance in terms of the character cast of Shantae, Shantae, Uncle Mimic and Risky definitely being the only ones I'd consider first tier. Rotty is joined by Sky and Bolo on dat second tier, but is ofc higher up cause of the ending events of Risky's Revenge and the Pirate's Curse redemption arc. :4pacman:
I could see her just being second tier, I guess. Though, I don't really understand why Uncle Mimic's supposedly top tier?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I could see her just being second tier, I guess. Though, I don't really understand why Uncle Mimic's supposedly top tier?
Because he often has a central role in the main plot of the games.
Well, moreso the first and the last.
But definitely moreso than Shantae's friends have had.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Shantae & Shantae?

Probably because a lot of the stuff he does is heavily plot relevant or kickstarts the plot like building the steam engine, finding the lamp, etc.

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Hi! How are things in the Isaac thread? :)

And, hmm, I'd recommend starting out with" Shantae and the Pirate's Curse", which is the third game in the series. It's widely considered to be the best one! Though, to fully understand the plot, you'd have to play "Risky's Revenge" first, but it certainly isn't necessary...
Things are.... interesting over there. The AT reveal hit us pretty hard. A lot of our avid forum goers have dipped out so the thread moves at a snails pace sometimes. We’re still trying to keep the hope alive, specifically for a new GS game rather than Isaac in smash, tho he’ll always be our #1 Golden Boy.

I might have to try Pirates Curse then? Maybe just look up a cliff notes version of Risky’s Revenge if it’s not on the Switch.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm still in the camp that spirits deconfirm characters, especially third parties.

Primary spirits are essentially semi playable characters. Because that character is inhabiting the body of the character your currently playing as. I don't particularly see why they would make any of those characters playable after putting them in that role, and that goes double for Shantae and Rayman because they would have to jump through licensing twice.

D

Deleted member

I'm still in the camp that spirits deconfirm characters, especially third parties.

Primary spirits are essentially semi playable characters. Because that character is inhabiting the body of the character your currently playing as. I don't particularly see why they would make any of those characters playable after putting them in that role, and that goes double for Shantae and Rayman because they would have to jump through licensing twice.
A fan made rule isn’t enough to destroy a characters chances for dlc even if they’re a spirit

Sakurai even said they would replace trophies because they were hard to work on

Btw I recommend you leave that camp because what they say is ****.

I hope this helps btw
6E5BC1D4-3FE8-4426-867A-FA8E7976974C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Suspicious of what? Plenty of series represented solely in spirits have more than just two amongst the 1,297 spirits in total.
How many of those series are not from Nintendo?

Using lore is an even weaker justification. Sakurai outright said the whole idea was based more in gameplay than plot, and it shows. Lots are just inanimate objects like cardboard boxes, variations of characters that aren't even alternate forms (classic Pit), and you can get as many duplicates of a single one as you wish.

If the company a character owns was open enough to let their character appear in this game, why would Nintendo be hesitant to negotiate with them some more? Especially ones like Wayforward who still openly want to see Shantae become playable, or Ubisoft where they're on such good terms that Nintendo is willing to lend their IPs to enhance the former's games?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
How many of those series are not from Nintendo?
I wouldn't know off the top of my head, but why the specification? Especially since other 3rd party series of that case have just as few so it's not like it singles out Shantae in that regard.

Don't get me wrong, I still support her, but I thought we weren't on the idea of spirits really having any say in the matter of whether they're in or not.

And if we are doing that, then there's the present issue that Pirhana Plant and no other DLC character that we know about so far, has a spirit yet in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ok I had it
The spirits deconfirm thing

ITS A FAN MADE RULE MEANING ITS NOT OFFICIAL OR SAID BY SAKURAI OR NINTENDO!

and who cares if pp isn’t a spirit yet that isnt a problem.

Even tho fighter spirits aren’t equipable
THEYRE STILL SPIRITS LIKE TROPHIES
(SPIRITS=TROPHIES)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ok I had it
The spirits deconfirm thing

ITS A FAN MADE RULE MEANING ITS NOT OFFICIAL OR SAID BY SAKURAI OR NINTENDO!

and who cares if pp isn’t a spirit yet that isnt a problem.

Even tho fighter spirits aren’t equipable
THEYRE STILL SPIRITS LIKE TROPHIES
(SPIRITS=TROPHIES)
Meanwhile the characters that aren't around as spirits were probably forgotten by mistake.

The only absolutes right now are that Joker is in (whether he comes with spirits or not), and Travis won't be in the near future, that's it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The only way I'll be convinced that spirits don't deconfirm is if a spirit actually ends up playable in the remaining 4 spots, which seems kind of unlikely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Calm down man. The point is that one can't claim spirits mean nothing regarding deconfirmation, but then try to use them as a means to confirm a character.
Besides, there's no point in trying to convince someone that won't change their views at this stage when we don't know what'll happen. In the meantime, best to enjoy the game and just go to the forums for talking strategies. You can argue about this until the cows come home and go to bed, but it won't affect anything.

Or at least play something else to get one's mind off of Smash for a bit, it's up to you.

Wait, so, we don't know if Joker will come with spirits, or not?
Just about, yup.

Last edited:

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Whatever happens will happen.

Won't be the end of the world if she doesn't get in.

Can't we just leave it at that.....?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wouldn't know off the top of my head, but why the specification? Especially since other 3rd party series of that case have just as few so it's not like it singles out Shantae in that regard.

Don't get me wrong, I still support her, but I thought we weren't on the idea of spirits really having any say in the matter of whether they're in or not.

And if we are doing that, then there's the present issue that Pirhana Plant and no other DLC character that we know about so far, has a spirit yet in.
I was saying it would be suspicious if her series had a lot of spirits despite having no other gameplay role, not the other way around. As it is this representation is, as you say, par for the course.

Top Bottom