• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Although there are some best kept like that to prevent Pandora's Box to be opened.
Seriously, like the "Must originate from a video game" rule. There are already so many people requesting Goku and Sherk (be they sincere or ironic) But just imagine how many requests for just as many different characters should just one non video game character get added.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Sorry I haven't been around guys lately but my internet provider was being a bunch of idiots. Anyway so what is up on the Shantae For Smash DLC front?

#ShantaeForSmashDLC

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Sorry I haven't been around guys lately but my internet provider was being a bunch of idiots. Anyway so what is up on the Shantae For Smash DLC front?

#ShantaeForSmashDLC
She just got leaked in a 4chan thread.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
She just got leaked in a 4chan thread.
Was that a joke or was there a leaker that actually claimed she would be in? I don;t care if it's fake, fake leakers including Shantae is good news because it means the person who faked it either likes her or sees her support/potential and thinks her inclusion would make the leak credible.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
You say it's a "fan-made" argument, though, if you think about it, any and all of the arguments here, are fan-made...
Same goes for the AT rule lol. As many of us Isaac fans are desperately fighting against. While I don’t find myself in the same camp as my peers regarding the AT rule, I won’t keep them from hoping for an Assist to Fighter upgrade. Nor will it keep me from fighting for him as well.

So the same absolutely goes for any other fanbases that are stuck in a similar rut.

If we’re to believe that Spirits deconfirm characters where does that leave us? It’s a depressing thought indeed seeing as how many MANY fan requested characters have been relegated to Spirits.

All I have to say is we Adepts (Isaac fans) are a stubborn bunch and if we can bash our hopes against an insurmountable wall like Assist Trophy hell in the hopes of getting our boy in, don’t let something like a glorified sticker keep you guys from rooting for your girl till the bitter end.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, like the "Must originate from a video game" rule. There are already so many people requesting Goku and Sherk (be they sincere or ironic) But just imagine how many requests for just as many different characters should just one non video game character get added.
Wasnt that a Sakurai rule?

Well, in terms of fan ruling the two DLC have completely thrown out a ton of rules...
1- Main Protagonist/Antagonist
2- Been with Nintendo
3- Retro/WTF rep in base game
4- DLC have to be iconic
i think the remaining DLC will continue to defy these fanmade rules and any other I can't list.

in terms of the spirits deconfirming characters, you have to remember simple reprogramming can be done. If they can edit the feather off of Game & Watch less than two months before release they can edit Shantae's sticker/spirit battle (I mean it's almost more geared towards risky anyway).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Well, in terms of fan ruling the two DLC have completely thrown out a ton of rules...
2- Been with Nintendo
4- DLC have to be iconic
i think the remaining DLC will continue to defy these fanmade rules and any other I can't list.

in terms of the spirits deconfirming characters, you have to remember simple reprogramming can be done. If they can edit the feather off of Game & Watch less than two months before release they can edit Shantae's sticker/spirit battle (I mean it's almost more geared towards risky anyway).
There was also a couple of other fan rules Sakurai broke in Ultimate's base game like:

1. Antagonists can not get in before all the co-protagonists (K. Rool get's in before Dixie)

2. Any already represented 3rd party series in the roster can not have a 2nd rep (Richter and Ken get in)

3. Characters that were once bosses can never ever potentially upgrade to being a playable character in a future Smash (Ridley get's in)

And now people are saying we can't have a 2nd unique 3rd party secondary rep in the game which, I believe will get broken by the addition of Tails or Sephiroth in the first season pass or the next if we do get another one.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
At least, many of the fan requested characters, have some form of representation, in the game...
In that regard spirits are both a good thing and a bad thing.

It's good that these characters are at least semi playable because when you use the Shantae spirit your technically playing as Shantae but it's bad because these characters will most likely never be on the main playable roster.

It's Also a great thing for lesser known characters. I mean the main party from Golden sun all have spirits, those guys have less than 0 chance of ever being playable in Smash yet you can still technically play as them in ultimate

To quote a failed kickstarter game "It's better than nothing."

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In that regard spirits are both a good thing and a bad thing.

It's good that these characters are at least semi playable because when you use the Shantae spirit your technically playing as Shantae but it's bad because these characters will most likely never be on the main playable roster.

It's Also a great thing for lesser known characters. I mean the main party from Golden sun all have spirits, those guys have less than 0 chance of ever being playable in Smash yet you can still technically play as them in ultimate

To quote a failed kickstarter game "It's better than nothing."
If we go by that logic, than I guess Mii costumes would actually be the 2nd best thing after a fighter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Although there are some best kept like that to prevent Pandora's Box to be opened.
Yeah...the whole licensed character thing, for one.

Public domain is a different story, though I'd let that one slide if the character did something important for games.

There was also a couple of other fan rules Sakurai broke in Ultimate's base game like:

1. Antagonists can not get in before all the co-protagonists (K. Rool get's in before Dixie)

2. Any already represented 3rd party series in the roster can not have a 2nd rep (Richter and Ken get in)

3. Characters that were once bosses can never ever potentially upgrade to being a playable character in a future Smash (Ridley get's in)

And now people are saying we can't have a 2nd unique 3rd party secondary rep in the game which, I believe will get broken by the addition of Tails or Sephiroth in the first season pass or the next if we do get another one.
People will move their goalposts until Sakurai runs out of reasonable boundaries to break (I'd expect one of the last ones to be "Western characters must be from an active 3rd party series"). It's a fact of life in this fandom.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The way I choose to see it is:

Fighter = gold medal.

Mii fighter = silver medal

Primary spirit =bronze medal

Support spirit = consolation prize that nobody should really care about.

D

Deleted member

2- Been with Nintendo
4- DLC have to be iconic

Or just rename it shantae (hgh)

And use her gbc artwork as the fighter spirit

As for the rules

I wouldn’t rule out the 2nd rule just yet
E9E5EB69-11F5-42FE-BA99-99AF16B1132E.jpeg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dude, Bowser broke that "rule" as early as Melee if that ever was a thing.
Are you trying to say Bowser or Giga Bowser was in 64? Because he's not.

So did Gannondorf in ultimate
Are you telling me you are living in a alternate universe where Ganondorf was a boss in Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 instead of a playable character? LMAO!!!

D

Deleted member

What's your beef with Shovel Knight? And it better not be the self imposed rivalry with Shantae created by stubborn individuals from both fanbases.
Too much stuff and cameos he’s been getting more spirits. wining best indie 2014 more amiibos. Too much stuff

I’m really getting really tired of it even what Nintendo dose to him

Can they just take a break?!

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Too much stuff and cameos he’s been getting more spirits. wining best indie 2014 more amiibos. Too much stuff

They can't. They will milk Shovel Knight till its dry. Like what happen to certain games. But it's no reason to hate a game just because it has more merchandise and more cameos.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Not until Yacht Club can get enough money so that they can both make their next game, and not go bankrupt in the process.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You also forgot "online avatar".
No I didnt, it just doesn't add anything to the gameplay.
On a related note I'm having a hard time picking one for my avatar, they put a BUNCH of my favorite game characters in as avatars, like megaman.exe, Sakura Kasugano and of course, Shantae. It's kinda hard. lol

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No I didnt, it just doesn't add anything to the gameplay.
On a related note I'm having a hard time picking one for my avatar, they put a BUNCH of my favorite game characters in as avatars, like megaman.exe, Sakura Kasugano and of course, Shantae. It's kinda hard. lol
Nothing except an easy way to give basically free advertisement for her and Wayforward, that is. With this you don't even have to play World Of Light to see her, millions of online warriors will see her as well.

Also worth noting that Shantae is the only third party avatar that doesn't have a fighter, assist trophy or boss associated with her series.

Top Bottom