• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Has the ever been a good video game movie adaptation?
For what it is, Mortal Kombat was entertaining (Armageddon's a dumpster fire tho, so pretend that one doesn't exist).

Same can be said for Rampage, if only for Dwayne Johnson's antics alone. Not too terribly accurate (although that arcade cabinet in one scene is a hoot), but knows not to take itself too seriously and really the series is about monsters blowing up cities and labs anyway, so it wasn't difficult to accomplish.

While not a movie, I heard some pretty good things about the Virtua Fighter anime (despite not having much to work with in terms of adapting story at the time). Shame only the first season ever got translated.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
All this talk about video game adaptations really makes me hope that if I manage to get the chance to work on a Shantae Netflix cartoon that I’ll be able to do the series justice and people will be willing to watch it. Granted most of what I have is just adapting the stories of the games in an animated and episodic format, but still.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
All this talk about video game adaptations really makes me hope that if I manage to get the chance to work on a Shantae Netflix cartoon that I’ll be able to do the series justice. Granted most of what I have is just adapting the stories of the games in an animated and episodic format, but still.
Hey, your already doing better than 90% of Hollywood movies.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
All this talk about video game adaptations really makes me hope that if I manage to get the chance to work on a Shantae Netflix cartoon that I’ll be able to do the series justice and people will be willing to watch it. Granted most of what I have is just adapting the stories of the games in an animated and episodic format, but still.
Well, since the Castlevania adaptation worked, I'd say you'll be fine...

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well, since the Castlevania adaptation worked, I'd say you'll be fine...
I need to get around to finishing that series. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to take any cues from it for a number of reasons, but hopefully I’ll be able to make it just as good.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I thought the Prince of Persia was a good game adaption, and Rampage was a very fun movie

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
The thing with video game adaptations, particularly live action, is there is a lot of "Your Mileage May Vary" attached to them. Some people liked the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movie. I quit watching maybe less than five minutes in because the sheer stupidity was giving me a headache. Some games shouldn't be made live action. Super Mario is a great example of why.

For the record, Shantae would look weird in live action, IMO.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Just beat WoL...and yeah overall it was ok. I just wouldn't really call it an "adventure" or "story" mode, and what story it had is a let down...especially if you're like me and actually fight Galeem first thinking you gotta fight them one at a time.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So...is Shovel Knight an icon? Is Yacht Club Games identified in the credits like WF and Matt?

D

Deleted member

So...is Shovel Knight an icon? Is Yacht Club Games identified in the credits like WF and Matt?
Both yacht and wayforward/BOZON We’re listed as original game supervisors

And wf was listed last

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Welp I found the Shantae sticker, I hated that fight a lot.

Have I missed any info these days ? Do you guys still believe in Shantae's chances to make it as a DLC fighter ?

Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy Ohhh I LOVEthat Dark Magician Shantae !!
Nah, I personally think the dream is dead, but at least I got Joker so my wishlist isn't completely destroyed

D

Deleted member

Nah, I personally think the dream is dead, but at least I got Joker so my wishlist isn't completely destroyed
It’s not over until Matt/wf says something about her fate

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Directs will be the ones to keep us in the loop for next year as everyone knows towards the Fighters Pass.

What are the remaining 4 Characters Nintendo has in store for us?

De7SxRKXcAEWZ7k.jpeg

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think it was mentioned that the DLC characters will be from franchises that aren't already in Smash, which most likely applies to her as well.

Would I like to eat my words? Yeah, I love Shantae but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
It is believed that Rex will be picked because he apparently has no icon, yet Pyra and Mythra do.

D

Deleted member

The Directs will be the ones to keep us in the loop for next year as everyone knows towards the Fighters Pass.

View attachment 182624
2.t block
3.sans
4.tf2 sniper
5.batman
It is believed that Rex will be picked because he apparently has no icon, yet Pyra and Mythra do.
Don’t make me remind you what sakurai said about him

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I think it was mentioned that the DLC characters will be from franchises that aren't already in Smash, which most likely applies to her as well.

Would I like to eat my words? Yeah, I love Shantae but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
where did you hear that? I remember hearing them say all the DLC characters would be characters you wouldn't expect to see in smash.

D

Deleted member

regigigas said that these characters are new to the series not they will be from new series

So we’re fine. don’t give up now!
2B97C4CB-1EDA-452E-8971-D0E4852080C6.jpeg

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

Doesn't mean you can't support her even though she's not playable. Maybe someday she can be. And if rumors are true, (highly doubtful) there may be a Wave 2 DLC

zferolie

Smash Hero

Yeah Untill they offically say no to spirits being fighters, we just stay strong.

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman

I heard its going to be from series who arent represented as FIGHTERS. Doesnt rule out shantae, but geno is dead since hes technically mario.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

View attachment 182624
I'm hoping

Amaterasu (Okami)
Shantae
Sora
Rayman

If not Rayman, I'm still hoping for Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, but if it's only fighters from series that have yet been represented, then that doesn't look good for her.

D

Deleted member

but if it's only fighters from series that have yet been represented, then that doesn't look good for her.
LISTEN CARFULY TO WHAT REGINATOR SAYS

D

Deleted member

Hey there! Haven't been in this thread in a while. I beat WoL just last night w Simon, Mario and King K. Rool. I liked it. I had Simon/Shantae and K. Rool/Geno spirit teams. The Regigigas one helps out a lot in stamina battles. I'm not sure if any of you noticed, but do you like how the Risky Boots spirit is right before you fight K. Rool in the Dark Realm?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hey there! Haven't been in this thread in a while. I beat WoL just last night w Simon, Mario and King K. Rool. I liked it. I had Simon/Shantae and K. Rool/Geno spirit teams. The Regigigas one helps out a lot in stamina battles. I'm not sure if any of you noticed, but do you like how the Risky Boots spirit is right before you fight K. Rool in the Dark Realm?
Love your avatar lol. :p

And, um, yeah, that Risky thing is pretty cool! The attention to detail in the game is astonishing. :)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
SO a made a character select screen mock up of what the screen should look like after the 6 upcoming DLC are released.

Smash Ultimate Season 1 final character screen.png

Just shrunk the character grid to 94% its normal size to fit another column in. in theory, you can fit in another full row with just a tine bit more shrinking, and with the current bottom row being able to fit 3 more, you could fit in 17 more character. I probably wouldn't go any farther then that as then the screen will be too small and hard to navigate. So at most we can have a total of 97 characters in this game.

Doubt we will get even close to that. I am thinking if we get 1 more season, plus 3-5 free or sold seperatly echos, that would be 88-90 roster when they finish.

EDIT: New interview from Sakurai in Famatsu

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...h-bros-ultimates-development-length-and-more/

He says probably best to not expect the next smash for at least 10 years. makes sense, and we could see a long DLC period for this game like other big fighters out there(like SF5 and Tekken)

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
SO a made a character select screen mock up of what the screen should look like after the 6 upcoming DLC are released.

View attachment 182654

Just shrunk the character grid to 94% its normal size to fit another column in. in theory, you can fit in another full row with just a tine bit more shrinking, and with the current bottom row being able to fit 3 more, you could fit in 17 more character. I probably wouldn't go any farther then that as then the screen will be too small and hard to navigate. So at most we can have a total of 97 characters in this game.

Doubt we will get even close to that. I am thinking if we get 1 more season, plus 3-5 free or sold seperatly echos, that would be 88-90 roster when they finish.

EDIT: New interview from Sakurai in Famatsu

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...h-bros-ultimates-development-length-and-more/

He says probably best to not expect the next smash for at least 10 years. makes sense, and we could see a long DLC period for this game like other big fighters out there(like SF5 and Tekken)
I wonder if this lines up with the 30 character ID slots that were datamined.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
LISTEN CARFULY TO WHAT REGINATOR SAYS
Does being a spirit still mean the character can still be new to the series tho? Sorry i haven't been paying attention to the whole "spirit deconfirms or doesn't deconfirm" situation for a while because it was tiring…

Top Bottom