• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I believe we are getting two to three more unique 3rd party characters for the base roster. Those 3rd party characters being: Geno, Tails, and Banjo-Kazooie/Shantae. Geno and Tails are locks in my book, but Banjo and Shantae are likely but not as likely as the other two. I believe Banjo-Kazooie and Shantae will both make it in at some point, but one of them will be in base and one of them will be DLC.
Personally, I don't have the same feelings towards Tails or Banjo-Kazooie. Personally, I believe that Geno is the only lock, while characters such as Shantae, Incineroar, and Ken are fairly reliable in terms of potential. I don't know too much regarding Banjo-Kazooie, and I have heard next to nothing related to tails (as cool as he would be).

Im not saying they are impossible. I know both of them have been requested for quite awhile, so they might get in at the very least as DLC.

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so how many leaks do you think we'll get between now any then that are all "The direct will be on november this date and something something vergeben leak piggybacking something something steve"? Take a shot for people being like "Shantae and/or Isaac are an AT (Because I don't like them but I don't wanna say that out loud)"!

Swade

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so how many leaks do you think we'll get between now any then that are all "The direct will be on november this date and something something vergeben leak piggybacking something something steve"? Take a shot for people being like "Shantae and/or Isaac are an AT (Because I don't like them but I don't wanna say that out loud)"!
Ooof, I'd die from alcohol poisoning if I did that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Personally, I don't have the same feelings towards Tails or Banjo-Kazooie. Personally, I believe that Geno is the only lock, while characters such as Shantae, Incineroar, and Ken are fairly reliable in terms of potential. I don't know too much regarding Banjo-Kazooie, and I have heard next to nothing related to tails (as cool as he would be)
Tails had a Mii costume back in the Smash 4 DLC packs like :ultinkling:,:ultkrool:,:ultchrom:,:ultisabelle:. Plus IGN was campaigning for Tails during the Smash Ballot, so he must have done well.

Banjo-Kazooie are the biggest N64 icons that are not in the roster yet and Banjo-Kazooie did well in the Smash Ballot. Phil Spencer, the head of Microsoft's gaming division said he would be up for Banjo-Kazooie being in Smash, so that definitely increases their chances.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Do you all suppose were getting 1 more 3rd party and I believe shantae is the likeliest to fill it. As for the others-

Banjo: I see him As a lock for dlc. don’t worry:) GUH-HUH!! (I could be wrong there might be 2 more)
Ray man: idk about him after that brawhala massacre
Dantae: already deconfermed
Sora: GENO took his place
Quote: sold his soul to blade strangers
Steve?: lol not happening do you really think he would be the first playable Microsoft/indie rep? Nope! The bear and bird doesn't think so!
Considering that Ubisoft themselves are the publisher for Brawlhalla now, I still think there's something rotten in Denmark.

Quote's definitely toast though. :(

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Tails had a Mii costume back in the Smash 4 DLC packs like :ultinkling:,:ultkrool:,:ultchrom:,:ultisabelle:. Plus IGN was campaigning for Tails during the Smash Ballot, so he must have done well.

Banjo-Kazooie are the biggest N64 icons that are not in the roster yet and Banjo-Kazooie did well in the Smash Ballot. Phil Spencer, the head of Microsoft's gaming division said he would be up for Banjo-Kazooie being in Smash, so that definitely increases their chances.
Oh, im not saying they aren't major characters. They both have been very popular picks since Melee. All Im saying is that I havent heard many reference them this speculation period., especially Tails. I wouldn't at all mind if I am wrong and they are included as long as Shantae gets in.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

If everyone that got a Mii costume got promoted, Ashley wouldn't be an assist. And we'd be looking forward to Fire Emblem's Black Knight, a Monster Hunter, Geno, and a Chocobo.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think we all couldve guessed there'd be a direct in november if not this month, though maybe feeling it's coming is a relief too for some.
Either way it's going to come within the next 3 weeks :)

Heck yeaaaah!ヾ(゚∀゚ゞ)
:)

omg milky, I love your avatar, it's so adorable. <3

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
b-but what if he falls!?
If he falls, he becomes an assist trophy. So for the sake of the Isaac support thread, make sure he stays on that chair. Same goes for Shantae who is standing on the very edge.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Take a shot for people being like "Shantae and/or Isaac are an AT (Because I don't like them but I don't wanna say that out loud)"!
I'll be honest... I've been taking shots and drinking all night and I've still not quite caught up to your standards.
you set me up for failure!

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Either way, we can't control which FE characters can even get in at all, up to now only the Lords ever get any service because the franchise is too big to afford focusing on characters beyond those (Chrom being the exception, but even then he's a deuteragonist, isn't he).
Chrom is the lord and primary protagonist, actually. Robin is technically the sidekick (though the story ends up revolving around them because player-insert).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If everyone that got a Mii costume got promoted, Ashley wouldn't be an assist. And we'd be looking forward to Fire Emblem's Black Knight, a Monster Hunter, Geno, and a Chocobo.
Every time I bring up the Mii costumes people keep saying that ''If that was the case, then all of them would be fighters in the roster'' not exactly! I believe some... I REPEAT! SOME characters that were DLC Mii costumes back in Smash 4 did well on the Smash Ballot. I also believe certain characters that got more votes became playable while the lesser voted popular characters got the Assist Trophy treatment.

Let's take a look so far at which Mii costumes became playable characters or a Assist Trophies

Playable: :ultinkling:,:ultkrool:,:ultchrom:,:ultisabelle:.

Assist Trophies: Ashley, Knuckles, Zero.

Of course, not all the characters picks are just from the Mii costumes or the Smash Ballot I believe. :ultridley: was a stage hazard back in the last game when the Smash Ballot was going on, so he probably didn't have barely any votes because of that. He got in due to his massive and insane popularity in the west, and even Sakurai said that himself at the Treehouse back at E3. :ultsimon: is a legacy character like: :ultmario:,:ultsonic:,:ultpacman:,:ultmegaman:,:ultsnake:, and :ultcloud:so he didn't need the Smash Ballot to get in.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Did anyone else hear that that one Geno leak was disconfirmed? Ouch...

Im all for Shantae, but its sad to see something like this happen.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

Do you have a source for which Geno leak you are talking about and how it was deconfirmed?

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales

Mostly debunked. They aren't positive, it sounds like, but even if it is, that just makes another fake was exposed and someone that we can ignore. His chances are still strong. It just means we'll be pleasantly surprised when he does show up, now that we aren't sure again.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

I know what you mean. I mean there are a lot of characters i don;t really care about, but I know someone does so it's always sad when someone doesn't get their wish.

That said, one leak being fake doesn't change a characters chances. Geno is one of the characters I'm almost certain is a guarantee. People have been asking for him longer than pretty much anyone, Sakurai has acknowledged the demand and even said he wants him in, and this time around they are clearly going after the biggest requests ever. If Geno isn't added in the "we're giving you everyone" Smash Bros game, I think some people would all but riot.

Like if he somehow wasn't in the base roster, he will be the Mewtwo of this game. The character they know everyone wants so they use him to kick off DLC with a huge release.

Yeah, 4chan and Gamefaqs are ripping each other's throats out over this. Really hope we get a direct soon so people can chill out, the info drought paired with people's hopes being diminished (CoroCoro 103, and Leaks getting debunked left and right) is really getting to people.

D

Deleted member

Ohhhh boy things are not gonna look easy for shantae with all of this in the way

Teeb147

Smash Legend

As far as I'm skeptical, it's not debunked yet, some people could've recreated the picture that they think makes it debunked.
Will see where it goes though :p

D

Deleted member

Hey dose anyone know why :ultridley:amd:ultkrool: were revealed first? Just to let everyone know so you don’t get confused.(they’re both pirates.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Always thought the Geno pic was fake. Was 100% sure of it when it was figured out to be Delfino Plaza.
Why? Delfino plaza is in ultimate. Geno's probably not going to be in a demo build, so it's not like it matters for that one.

But it doesnt matter too much for this thread anyway. So I dont have to press on it.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
This is a perfect way to not only give yourself a bullseye for ridicule but also to give everybody the wrong impression of the character and its fans. Makes me want to avoid this type of character in the future. I almost fear Shantae will end up this way.
I fear that she will end up this way; especially considering how I have my suspicions on who will end up making her that type of character.

Which one? Was it the image leak?

Yeah, 4chan and Gamefaqs are ripping each other's throats out over this. Really hope we get a direct soon so people can chill out, the info drought paired with people's hopes being diminished (CoroCoro 103, and Leaks getting debunked left and right) is really getting to people.
Given all of this false hope since August, I've honestly lost hope for anything more than Ken and Incineroar. The CoroCoro 103 thing falls perfectly in line with box theory, and it makes sense, since October looks like it's a dead month, and the last reveal we got wasn't even for a unique fighter, but a semi-clone. Honestly, the only things that don't have a 90% chance of going badly (in terms of likelihood) are the Green Mode, Steve, Geno and of course, Ken and Incineroar. (Please Teeb don't block me, Paragon (not just them. They were just the first one to come to mind) don't call me a detractor and Connor don't get mad. Please?)

Edit: I'm not trying to put Shantae down by any means, I'm just saying that in general, I'm expecting the worst beyond what's confirmed by Sakurai. I'm still hoping, but I've lost hope, if that makes any sense.

Hey dose anyone know why :ultridley:amd:ultkrool: were revealed first? Just to let everyone know so you don’t get confused.(they’re both pirates.)
They weren't the first two. Simon was between them.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I fear that she will end up this way; especially considering how I have my suspicions on who will end up making her that type of character.

Which one? Was it the image leak?

Given all of this false hope since August, I've honestly lost hope for anything more than Ken and Incineroar. The CoroCoro 103 thing falls perfectly in line with box theory, and it makes sense, since October looks like it's a dead month, and the last reveal we got wasn't even for a unique fighter, but a semi-clone. Honestly, the only things that don't have a 90% chance of going badly (in terms of likelihood) are the Green Mode, Steve, Geno and of course, Ken and Incineroar. (Please Teeb don't block me, Paragon don't call me a detractor and Connor don't get mad. Please?)

They weren't the first two. Simon was between them.
Get your hopes back up again then ;)
Or don't assign your leftover hopes to a 'limited' version of a leak.
Even, before box theory, verge talked about there being many more characters. (and box theory doesn't hold very much these days)

And in any case, personally I think something doesn't seem right about incineroar, so I'm betting on that one not actually being in.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
We can only wait and see. Comparing her to other currently speculated newcomers, she has a lot more un-deconfirmed evidence going for her. While she isn't in every single leak, what we do know is surprisingly solid in comparison.

To be honest, the only reason some characters appear in leaks constantly is because they already appeared in previous leaks. Shantae may not be popular in some of them because the average person assumes she's a leak killer, even though there's a lot going for her.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
We can only wait and see. Comparing her to other currently speculated newcomers, she has a lot more un-deconfirmed evidence going for her. While she isn't in every single leak, what we do know is surprisingly solid in comparison.

To be honest, the only reason some characters appear in leaks constantly is because they already appeared in previous leaks. Shantae may not be popular in some of them because the average person assumes she's a leak killer, even though there's a lot going for her.
It's like all the people narcissistic manchildren pulling fake leaks directly from their anuses in a desperate pathetic bid for attention are mimicking each other's fake news in a vain effort to appear more credible, important, well-informed, and attention-worthy.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I went and found the Geno debunk myself and this is what was posted:
*image wouldn't load so here's an imgur link* https://imgur.com/a/ZSpU6eT
Seems it was a photoshop of a model and pose that can be obtained in Project M. Good effort from the faker, but it's finally dead.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
It's like all the people narcissistic manchildren pulling fake leaks directly from their anuses in a desperate pathetic bid for attention are mimicking each other's fake news in a vain effort to appear more credible, important, well-informed, and attention-worthy.
Just watch as hundreds of leaks people relied upon are killed because Shantae is revealed. Oof....

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Seems it was a photoshop of a model and pose that can be obtained in Project M. Good effort from the faker, but it's finally dead.

The image loads just fine for me. Quite the nice little mimic, but a mimic nonetheless.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Again, geno has good chances without it, but this could've easily been done the other way around, that is someone recreating the scene with the legacy mod, as it happens that the models are about the same size at least from the top.

I'm not sure why people want to see it as dead before even looking at the side that someone couldve faked this debunking.
-didn't find any image results from the brawl one, so it may just be recent.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Again, geno has good chances without it, but this could've easily been done the other way around, that is someone recreating the scene with the legacy mod, as it happens that the models are about the same size at least from the top.

I'm not sure why people want to see it as dead before even looking at the side that someone couldve faked this debunking.
-didn't find any image results from the brawl one, so it may just be recent.
Hmmm I suppose faking the debunking may be possible, but I'm more inclined to believe the original leak is fake. Either way I agree that it has no bearing on Geno's chances (since I honestly don't believe the whole idea that there is a real leak out there in the first place), nor am I trying to bash Geno as a character by posting the image. I just wanted people who were confused to get the heads up about what was going on since I was also confused and nobody would post the image.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Alright, got Artsy's comment right here.

"Sorry, but 100% (I'll concede that it's more like 95%) of this is reaching. =P none of this actually points to Shantae being in Smash. It's just a collection of coincidences and observations that can merely be construed to relate to smash but aren't inherently relevant. The only reason they were vocal during the smash ballot and not now is because there isn't a smash ballot for this game, so there's nothing to campaign for. But I get it. It's just for fun. Just.... don't get your hopes up. You'd only be setting yourself up for disappointment. Sorry if this is blunt, but I'm just being real. I like shantae a lot. I just don't see how any of this actually indicates that she's going to be in Smash. " Artsy Omni

While I would say that a lot of the Jammies Mode information is a bit reaching (not completely dismissable, but its tricky to use it to prove anything), the possibility of an NDA is possibly the strongest part of it, on top of the Shantae trademark coincidentally occurring very close to the roster finalization.
Ah, that comment.
Didn't we already discuss this earlier?

Either way, it's very apparent that they don't know WayForward at all.
This line of thinking may apply to your average corporate, greedy, predatory suits, like EA, Activsion and maybe Nintendo as well.

But WayForward was never like that.
They were always fan-oriented, replying to posts in a more personal, friendly manner, instead of posting your average PR-statements.
And they have attained a lot of goodwill, simply for NOT resorting to such shady practices.

For a fan-oriented company full of lovable, "nerdy" people to suddenly become silent and evasive like this...
Let's just say this won't go unnoticed by fans and will certainly raise a lot of eyebrows.

Long story short: Practices like the commenter suggested may be standard for AAA-companies like EA, Activision, etc.
But WayForward has gained good will and respect from people for NOT being like this, for being forthcoming and friendly towards their fans, happy to provide them with whatever answers they can.

And if WayForward would suddenly resort to the same shady practices, their reputation would be guaranteed to suffer from this...

Last edited:
Top Bottom