• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I feel people aren't really looking close at characters. Just being a good echo fighter does not mean they are an echo fighter. Likewise, being a strong potential fighter does not make them a fighter.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the Jammies Mode DLC speculation, the suspicious Twitter activity, the clear recognition Nintendo gives Shantae, and the trademark lining up almost perfectly, I would be a bit sad thinking Shantae wouldn't be possible. However, with all this, I am very happy to be able to have confidence in Shantae.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I feel people aren't really looking close at characters. Just being a good echo fighter does not mean they are an echo fighter. Likewise, being a strong potential fighter does not make them a fighter.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the Jammies Mode DLC speculation, the suspicious Twitter activity, the clear recognition Nintendo gives Shantae, and the trademark lining up almost perfectly, I would be a bit sad thinking Shantae wouldn't be possible. However, with all this, I am very happy to be able to have confidence in Shantae.
Not to mention her lack of playability in Blade Strangers, Indie Pogo, and Brawlout.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they just asked what costume Shantae should wear for Halloween (everyone is saying Jammies).
Jammies Shantae is the only correct answer. Also notice how Beach Shantae is everyone's least favorite.

Conclusion: Cute and adorable Shantae is better than hot and sexy Shantae.

I will stand by that statement until I die.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Jammies Shantae is the only correct answer. Also notice how Beach Shantae is everyone's least favorite.

Conclusion: Cute and adorable Shantae is better than hot and sexy Shantae.

I will stand by that statement until I die.
But... she still is adorable in her swimsuit.

I can definitely agree with that statement, however.
Pics please, I'm intrigued.
Right now, the website is not allowing me to insert pics into my posts. :/

Am I alone in this? Oh well, here's the the Tweet it was first shown off in anyway.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace

Am I alone in this? Oh well, here's the the Tweet it was first shown off in anyway.

That Rottytops smile is absolutely adorable.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman

Dammit... she is still adorable.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, what do you guys think the likelihood of Shantae getting a Rottytops skin is. I mean, there was one in that alt art they made.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I love how her expression conveys "yes, this is fun, but can we swap back now, my legs are getting cold".

You know, what do you guys think the likelihood of Shantae getting a Rottytops skin is. I mean, there was one in that alt art they made.
I'd say at least 70%, if Sakurai chooses to combine some of these for the default skin.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd say at least 70%, if Sakurai chooses to combine some of these for the default skin.
Yeah, I am quite certain we will get a skin with Rotty colors as a nice reference. I don't think they will go as far as giving Shantae Rotty's clothing like the alt in the example, but I am fine with just colors.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I thought of an especially cruel trick they could throw at us...one that technically would be in keeping with one of the Shantae series' traditions. The Direct is going, gets to the AT section and Shantae shows up, whipping at someone, then stops and gives the fourth wall a hard look. A HGH-style character portrait pops up with a dialogue box where Shantae asays: "Reaally? An Assist Trophy? After all that waiting and hard work?" A text box with "..." appears. Shantae comes back, "We know I can work in this game, so why not?!" "..." "Well, fine. I am a half genie after all! I'm gonna grant my fans' wishes!" She then whips away the text boxes and the splash screen comes up: "SHANTAE GRANTS A WISH!" Boom. Playable.
(DISCLAIMER: THIS POST HAS NO INTENT ON BEING NEGATIVE AT ALL. I APOLOGIZE IF IT RUBS ANYONE THE WRONG WAY.)

As much as I'd love for that to be her reveal, I feel like Waluigi is the only one who would deserve that kind of reveal. I could see it going like this: Waluigi is revealed as an AT, and throws a temper tantrum. A Smash Ball appears, and Waluigi breaks it. He then uses his Final Smash, and his splash art appears. Again, I think that reveal would be awesome for anyone, but I think it would make more sense for a highly requested character that has been stopped by an AT every single time, as opposed to someone who has never been an AT before.

I'd say 90%. The only ones I have doubts on are the RR and GBC alts, since they look the same, besides some minor differences (the PC one looks more different thanks to the bandana). I could see those 2 being replaced by ones for her other 2 friends.

She's literally next to the two arguably biggest names in gaming history ( Mario & Pikachu ). How cool is that ? And she looks like she fits right in ^_^
That kinda reminds me of this tweet from back in the Ballot:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
All I can say is, I’m gunning for a direct to hit in November now. Ive come to accept nothings coming for the month of October and just take Halloween as the only big event now. I’m hoping Shantae makes it in with Isaac in the final direct!!!!!

D

Deleted member

All I can say is, I’m gunning for a direct to hit in November now. Ive come to accept nothings coming for the month of October and just take Halloween as the only big event now. I’m hoping Shantae makes it in with Isaac in the final direct!!!!!
Oh she will alright!

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Someone let me know when images are working again. Seems like they are still a bit glitchy today.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This server problem is annoying, since it prevents me from posting Flint's latest Inktober pic, so I'll have no choice but to post it tomorrow.

Chase that dream!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought Shantae being 16 was canon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrBozon/status/620411784512442368

Apparently not. I still think Shantae is actually an old *** lady or a middle age lady because genies live way longer than humans. Even if you are only half.

Also... it makes her legal.
About as vague as Risky, then.

That would make sense to a degree though, seeing as even if you live for a really long time, you won't necessarily be wise. Know a lot of stuff, yes, act mature, not so much.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Apparently not. I still think Shantae is actually an old *** lady or a middle age lady because genies age slower than humans. Even if you are only half.

I dunno, depends how old her friends are. Because, I recollect a line in HGH, where Bolo speaks about their childhood together...

(Also, it doesn't matter what age Rottytops is. She's dead, so she'll never be legal. I have to struggle with this realisation each and everyday :()

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Apparently not. I still think Shantae is actually an old *** lady or a middle age lady because genies live way longer than humans. Even if you are only half.

We don't know genies age slower. And I highly doubt she's in her 30's or older. Heck, I doubt she's over 20 if even that old. Reasons? Sky and her have been friends as long as Sky can remember. Risky knew Shantae's mother.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Before this, I started thinking the about 16 answer WayForward had was referring to the overall series since it is technically 16 this year. Especially since when either Matt or WayForward was asked about her height, they answered in pixels rather than an actual height

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Im not entirely sure when this discussion went towards the legality of Shantae, but okay.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Im not entirely sure when this discussion went towards the legality of Shantae, but okay.
Funny, me and some other Twitter users were having that exact same discussion earlier today.

Personally, I think Shantae is 18 at the very least. Matt only said that he writes her as a 16 year old teenage genie girl. He never said that that was her canonical age (he makes it a point in that tweet to let everyone know). You can still be 18 or older and still act like a 16-year old. He may be referring to her maturity in that response.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I dunno, depends how old her friends are. Because, I recollect a line in HGH, where Bolo speaks about their childhood together...

(Also, it doesn't matter what age Rottytops is. She's dead, so she'll never be legal. I have to struggle with this realisation each and everyday :()
But maybe it's like a vampire thing where they age mentally but not physically.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I blame Gamefaqs forum posters for this somehow.

Funny, me and some other Twitter users were having that exact same discussion earlier today.

Personally, I think Shantae is 18 at the very least. Matt only said that he writes her as a 16 year old teenage genie girl. He never said that that was her canonical age (he makes it a point in that tweet to let everyone know). You can still be 18 or older and still act like a 16-year old. He may be referring to her maturity in that response.
Makes sense, she sure doesn't look 16, much like how Sky is apparently supposed to not be too fit.

Top Bottom