• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

All of you be honest with me......

Will there really be a playable indie in smash? Because indies are big and they impact gaming nowadays
:(

Dukefire

Smash Master

Will there really be a playable indie in smash? Because indies are big and they impact gaming nowadays

You cannot grasp the true form of Sakurai's Attack.

Really, we still don't know with the amount of time left

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, I wouldn't even be too surprised if the game ends up getting delayed at this rate.

I wouldn't mind it too much though, maybe they could add a few more features to the game. :)
Yeah, no. This game aint gonna be delayed. We might not be getting info, but that does not mean that the game is behind or anything.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I think Geno and Shantae are going to be the final 3rd parties. Think about it...

What other 3rd parties reaches the height of these two? Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman come close but there is a gap.

Square Enix allowed Sakurai to make Geno a Mii Costume. I don't see why they would restrict him from going all out for Ultimate.
WayForward campaigned hard as hell for Shantae and then went silent. She also has not been incolved in any major playable roles in any crossover fighting games.

I think these two are pretty solid.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think Geno and Shantae are going to be the final 3rd parties. Think about it...

What other 3rd parties reaches the height of these two? Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman come close but there is a gap.

Square Enix allowed Sakurai to make Geno a Mii Costume. I don't see why they would restrict him from going all out for Ultimate.
WayForward campaigned hard as hell for Shantae and then went silent. She also has not been incolved in any major playable roles in any crossover fighting games.

I think these two are pretty solid.
For base game, yeah, I pretty much agree. Though, I have little doubt that third parties are gonna make a grand return come DLC. Heck, in some ways, coming in as DLC is a bit more profitable, at least from my understanding of things.

Edit: I do have to ask, outside of Shantae, who are you rooting for when it comes to third parties, be it for base game or DLC?

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
For base game, yeah, I pretty much agree. Though, I have little doubt that third parties are gonna make a grand return come DLC. Heck, in some ways, coming in as DLC is a bit more profitable, at least from my understanding of things.
The biggest hurdle for DLC I feel is the character is gonna have to be able to move sales. Some characters just won't be able to do it as good as others.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The biggest hurdle for DLC I feel is the character is gonna have to be able to move sales. Some characters just won't be able to do it as good as others.
And I think that's why third parties have an advantage in DLC. They tend to grab more attention with there wow factor, as well as usually attracting an entirely new fan base(If it's a new series). Smash 4 DLC only had one new first party character, with the rest being either third party or a returning veteran(Which they obviously cant do for Ultimate).

D

Deleted member

Ayoungspirit has a good point here
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Click it there’s more

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice

Nintendo LOVES indies right now almost to a fault. It's very possible Nintendo has been tapping on sakurai's shoulder trying to nudge him into their inclusion. And we all know sakurai likes to take from video game history and relevance to Nintendo and indies are definitely a part of it especially shantae. I wouldn't worry about any stigma against indies.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
And I think that's why third parties have an advantage in DLC. They tend to grab more attention with there wow factor, as well as usually attracting an entirely new fan base(If it's a new series). Smash 4 DLC only had one new first party character, with the rest being either third party or a returning veteran(Which they obviously cant do for Ultimate).
And that's why I'm excited for the DLC season. New characters only.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I'd say, Geno is more likely to make it in as DLC, at this point. I just have a feeling that that'd work better, than him being in the base game. Also, I think it'd be more financially beneficial for Square, too. As for Shantae, well, she's almost certainly already in the base game, for sure. All of Wayforward's suspicious behaviours, add up to something at least. :)

And, well, Wwlink55 Wwlink55 , here's what it is.
Sorry for posting this video here again. But, it tells you enough about Shantae Nab to get the basic gist of what it is. Also, Matt Bozon is brilliant in this! :D

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman

Edit: I do have to ask, outside of Shantae, who are you rooting for when it comes to third parties, be it for base game or DLC?
No one. Jokingly I love telling my friends that Cooking Mama should be in Smash (I actually do want her playable in a way). But yeah. Just Shantae. I have every 3rd party I want besides Shantae.

I have a buddy on Gamefaqs who's been wanting Crash Bandicoot for a long time so I'm hoping Crash gets in as DLC. Maybe if Shantae gets in you'll throw in some support for him for my homie. He'd be fun, y'know.

Prodis

Smash Rookie

Definitely have to go with Banjo/Kazooie, those two have been waiting far to long to be included.
PS: Or if they're already in the base game, I'd go support my pipe dream pick, The Heavy cus I'm a big TF2 fan.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, it was only $6. Not exactly a fortune per-say but I get what you mean.
I mean, if you bought every character, plus the stages that come with them, it costs 35 bucks. That is over half the game for not nearly the same amount of content. I understand why it was like that, I just hope they found a solution to make it a bit less.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I mean, if you bought every character, plus the stages that come with them, it costs 35 bucks. That is over half the game for not nearly the same amount of content. I understand why it was like that, I just hope they found a solution to make it a bit less.
I mean, to be fair that is over the course of two years. If you buy them all at once, sure but, you can always buy them one at a time if that helps your wallet at all.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I'd say, Geno is more likely to make it in as DLC, at this point. I just have a feeling that that'd work better, than him being in the base game. Also, I think it'd be more financially beneficial for Square, too. As for Shantae, well, she's almost certainly already in the base game, for sure. All of Wayforward's suspicious behaviours, add up to something at least. :)

And, well, Wwlink55 Wwlink55 , here's what it is.
Sorry for posting this video here again. But, it tells you enough about Shantae Nab to get the basic gist of what it is. Also, Matt Bozon is brilliant in this! :D
WARIOWARE D.I.Y OH MAN

Absolutely loved that game!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, to be fair that is over the course of two years. If you buy them all at once, sure but, you can always buy them one at a time if that helps your wallet at all.
Yeah, I am just talking ratio sort of stuff, not because I am lacking money. I was fine with it at the time, it's just hindsight prodding at me.

I overall think the most likely third parties for base game are Shantae and Geno. When it comes to DLC, I think some standout contenders will be Crash, B&K, Sora, and the Doom Marine.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
No one. Jokingly I love telling my friends that Cooking Mama should be in Smash (I actually do want her playable in a way). But yeah. Just Shantae. I have every 3rd party I want besides Shantae.

I have a buddy on Gamefaqs who's been wanting Crash Bandicoot for a long time so I'm hoping Crash gets in as DLC. Maybe if Shantae gets in you'll throw in some support for him for my homie. He'd be fun, y'know.
If we got a former Playstation rep, I'd personally prefer Spyro, but Crash'd be neat too.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Funny enough, I actually had a guy who was talking about Smash Bros in real life. I told him "Huh, it'd be pretty neat if Shantae was in" and he went on how he wants all the mascot platformers in the game. :p Mainly because it's like Mario inviting them to a party, only they get tiny, crappy cookies while Mario gets a large cake. Of course, I know that they're not exactly iconic (he was talking about Awesome Possom kinds of mascot platformers), but it'd sort of be hilarious, too.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Yeah, I am just talking ratio sort of stuff, not because I am lacking money. I was fine with it at the time, it's just hindsight prodding at me.

I overall think the most likely third parties for base game are Shantae and Geno. When it comes to DLC, I think some standout contenders will be Crash, B&K, Sora, and the Doom Marine.
Doomslayer better be on that contenders list given how much we talked about it in the thread last night.
Thinking about, is there really anyone else other than the ones you listed? I can't really think of any other third-parties who could really get in.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Doomslayer better be on that contenders list given how much we talked about it in the thread last night.
Thinking about, is there really anyone else other than the ones you listed? I can't really think of any other third-parties who could really get in.
To be fair, our discussion basically boiled down to "Doom Slayer vs. The Kid Icarus Universe," but yeah, he is still a big contender, especially since it was confirmed that Bethesda and Nintendo have had at least one discussion relating to Smash.
When it comes to the list, the only other character I can think of is Rayman, but even then that feels a little off to me. I don't know why, it just does.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
To be fair, our discussion basically boiled down to "Doom Slayer vs. The Kid Icarus Universe," but yeah, he is still a big contender, especially since it was confirmed that Bethesda and Nintendo have had at least one discussion relating to Smash.
When it comes to the list, the only other character I can think of is Rayman, but even then that feels a little off to me. I don't know why, it just does.
Nintendo and Ubisoft have gotten pretty comfy with eachother lately though. But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Rabbids over Rayman. Ubisoft be Ubisoft.

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
I wouldn't worry about any stigma against indies.
i really don't know why indies in smash are just floating beyond the walls of possibility to so many people when them being indie by itself is just a title and has no bearings on really anything, especially popularity since Shantae is pretty well-known is in Japan, being even more popular than shovel knight (and guess who's in smash). ive yet to see anyone refute the argument that Shantae is an incredibly popular and historical pick for smash, not only competing with indie characters but just in general. just look at how many ballot polls there are where she's easily top 5.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Funny enough, I actually had a guy who was talking about Smash Bros in real life. I told him "Huh, it'd be pretty neat if Shantae was in" and he went on how he wants all the mascot platformers in the game. :p Mainly because it's like Mario inviting them to a party, only they get tiny, crappy cookies while Mario gets a large cake. Of course, I know that they're not exactly iconic (he was talking about Awesome Possom kinds of mascot platformers), but it'd sort of be hilarious, too.
Hopefully they didn't all react badly like Wreck-It-Ralph did. And now that I think about it, Mario was apparently supposed to show up for that game's anniversary party. How do you think he'd have reacted to the aftermath of Ralph's scene, if he even arrived at all?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Nintendo and Ubisoft have gotten pretty comfy with eachother lately though. But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Rabbids over Rayman. Ubisoft be Ubisoft.
This may sound weird, but I honestly wouldn't be mad with the Rabbids getting in. Give me every weird look you can muster, but as long as the character is based off of The Mario and Rabbids game, as well as it having at least the Rabbid Luigi alt, I know that at least one certain Youtuber I follow will be super happy.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I dunno about the Doom Marine. I have very mixed feelings about him, I mean, he would be pretty cool, but I feel he just wouldn't fit in with the rest of the Smash cast. Yeah, I know Snake's in the game, but at least he's Japanese.

I guess, he'd make for an alright DLC? And, it also might just be my bias. I lean more towards cute, and adorable characters, more than ruthless killing machines like him. He really is a conundrum for me.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I dunno about the Doom Marine. I have very mixed feelings about him, I mean, he would be pretty cool, but I feel he just wouldn't fit in with the rest of the Smash cast. Yeah, I know Snake's in the game, but at least he's Japanese.

I guess, he'd make for an alright DLC? And, it also might just be my bias. I lean more towards cute, and adorable characters, more than ruthless killing machines like him. He really is a conundrum for me.
Would be pretty big since he's a western character and those NEVER get in. Also has that deep history and arguable gaming icon going for him. And I don't know about you but Doomslayer is the cutest thing when he wants to be. You could say, he slays it.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

At least John Romero was able to show his SMB clone to Nintendo and got some praise for it, before he was told that no, they aren't interested in SMB on PC.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Idk, there is some kinda adorable Doom Slayer moments.

Top Bottom