• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
You get the prize of being the first person to notice. And it's because I made my account really fast and thought to myself "Would would be a horrible avatar to suit my name? Oh I know! Zilla!" and now we're here.
Surprisingly, I actually like the design of Zilla. It just isn't what they advertised lol.

Idk, there is some kinda adorable Doom Slayer moments.
That is surprisingly adorable...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Geno and Shantae are going to be the final 3rd parties. Think about it...

What other 3rd parties reaches the height of these two? Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman come close but there is a gap.

Square Enix allowed Sakurai to make Geno a Mii Costume. I don't see why they would restrict him from going all out for Ultimate.
WayForward campaigned hard as hell for Shantae and then went silent. She also has not been incolved in any major playable roles in any crossover fighting games.

I think these two are pretty solid.
I think Geno and Shantae along with Tails are going to be the last announced 3rd party characters for the base roster. Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman will definitely be DLC if not in the base game.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I actually do really like Zilla's look and Zilla himself but don't tell anyone cause it's the most unpopular opinion
I mean, my favourite Godzilla design is Planet of Monsters', which I'd say is also a pretty unpopular opinion. I don't know, maybe?

That is surprisingly adorable...
It still find it, slightly disturbing.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I think Geno and Shantae along with Tails are going to be the last announced 3rd party characters for the base roster. Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman will definitely be DLC if not in the base game.
OMG! ME TOO!
This whole "Shadow is gonna be playable!" **** makes me so MAD! Tails is Sonic's #2. It's basically like Mario and Luigi. Tails over Shadow would suck so hard!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I dunno about the Doom Marine. I have very mixed feelings about him, I mean, he would be pretty cool, but I feel he just wouldn't fit in with the rest of the Smash cast. Yeah, I know Snake's in the game, but at least he's Japanese.

I guess, he'd make for an alright DLC? And, it also might just be my bias. I lean more towards cute, and adorable characters, more than ruthless killing machines like him. He really is a conundrum for me.
What, at a glance, makes him so different from Samus? She massacres space pirates with the same zeal as Doomguy does to demons, and the only thing keeping Samus from being as "graphic" about it is her lacking his freakish strength.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It still find it, slightly disturbing.
I am more confused on how he has merch in the first place, and why is it in hell? I actually would not be surprised if it were explained in game and I just don't know it...

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
OMG! ME TOO!
This whole "Shadow is gonna be playable!" **** makes me so MAD! Tails is Sonic's #2. It's basically like Mario and Luigi. Tails over Shadow would suck so hard!
I think we will get both Tails and Shadow. Tails as a unique fighter and Shadow as a Echo Fighter.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Im going to bring it up, as it will likely be relevant extremely soon...

Unless you are really trying to avoid them, chances are the full roster is going to be leaked before the "leaked" direct, so we may get our answer as to whether or not Shantae is in the base roster far earlier than we think.

However, if it is, how exactly will it be handled here? Do we want people to talk about it? How do we avoid spoilers for those who may just want to play the game legit?

Now, leaks are very likely to be fake, but now that we are reaching the time where the game is "going gold", we will either have a high potential for another Smash 4 situation, we are going to get something straight from Nintendo/Sakurai to avoid a leak, or we may actually somehow go 3 weeks without news. Considering the sheer desperation for news, I would think it would be one of the former 2.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I am more confused on how the he has merch in the first place, and why is it in hell? I actually would not be surprised if it were explained in game and I just don't know it...
For that particular example he's not actually in hell, but in a facility on Mars built for exploiting the resources of the former. The "guy" line references other things, and they've had access to his armour to model that toy on (Doom Slayer starts the game completely naked before quickly re-equipping his suit).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Unless you are really trying to avoid them, chances are the full roster is going to be leaked before the "leaked" direct, so we may get our answer as to whether or not Shantae is in the base roster far earlier than we think.

However, if it is, how exactly will it be handled here? Do we want people to talk about it? How do we avoid spoilers for those who may just want to play the game legit?

Now, leaks are very likely to be fake, but now that we are reaching the time where the game is "going gold", we will either have a high potential for another Smash 4 situation, we are going to get something straight from Nintendo/Sakurai to avoid a leak, or we may actually somehow go 3 weeks without news.
Tragically, I think there will be no avoiding spoilers on Smashboards if a leak does happen. Then again, if you know there is a leak that is very likely true and is being spread around, then I doubt you would look on Smashboards in the first place.

For the post above by meleebrawler meleebrawler , I did not realize that. Still begs the question as of why they decided to make a toy out of him.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
What I would give to go forward in time 3 weeks to know of Shantae and Issacs fate. I just feel they cannot be assist trophies at this point. Not after all they have going for them from us and the Isaac supporters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Now, leaks are very likely to be fake, but now that we are reaching the time where the game is "going gold", we will either have a high potential for another Smash 4 situation, we are going to get something straight from Nintendo/Sakurai to avoid a leak, or we may actually somehow go 3 weeks without news.
I agree, Nintendo better hurry up with announcing the whole roster because if they don't very soon, ESRB 2 the sequel will came out before they get the chance to say anything.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I agree, Nintendo better hurry up with announcing the whole roster because if they don't very soon, ESRB 2 the sequel will came out before they get the chance to say anything.
Exactly. Im sure they don't want another Smash 4 situation. They got lucky with 64-Brawl because the internet wasn't as information-hungry as it is now. I am personally predicting we might get brand new information by the end of the month.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Now, leaks are very likely to be fake, but now that we are reaching the time where the game is "going gold", we will either have a high potential for another Smash 4 situation, we are going to get something straight from Nintendo/Sakurai to avoid a leak, or we may actually somehow go 3 weeks without news. Considering the sheer desperation for news, I would think it would be one of the former 2.
They really do need to release some new information soon. The marketing campaign for this game really isn't up to scratch at the moment.

And, if a major leak is released, I bet people may throw it around this website willy nilly, without a care in the world, some will be too hyped to care about what others want. So, if you want to avoid getting spoiled, I'd say now's your chance to leave, before it's too late.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
They really do need to release some new information soon. The marketing campaign for this game really isn't up to scratch at the moment.

And, if a major leak is released, I bet people may throw it around this website willy nilly, without a care in the world, some will be too hyped to care about what others want. So, if you want to avoid getting spoiled, I'd say now's your chance to leave, before it's too late.
Oh, I don't care about being spoiled. I'm just considerate of those who might care. ;p

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Exactly. Im sure they don't want another Smash 4 situation. They got lucky with 64-Brawl because the internet wasn't as information-hungry as it is now. I am personally predicting we might get brand new information by the end of the month.
I'm hoping we do because I don't want to see ESRB 2.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I'm hoping we do because I don't want to see ESRB 2.
To be honest, I wouldn't mind a ESRB 2, simply because I am someone who would rather know rather than suffer the anticipation. However, I would also like to prefer it not happen for the sake of those who want to wait for the reveals. While I may not care, that doesn't mean others wouldn't either.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
To be honest, I wouldn't mind a ESRB 2, simply because I am someone who would rather know rather than suffer the anticipation. However, I would also like to prefer it not happen for the sake of those who want to wait for the reveals. While I may not care, that doesn't mean others wouldn't either.
But, the anticipation actually makes the reward worthwhile, no?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Nope.

How have you been?
I'm fine, just now starting to unwind from a busy day, Thanks for asking.

That aside, you guys really give a guy a lot to catch up on for a day that didn't have anything important happen lol But I'm glad for that, we need to keep momentum going in here. We gotta catch up with the Isaac page!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Ayoungspirit has a good point here
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Click it there’s more
It could mean something, but I wouldn't give it any merit until we know the direct date. Even then, let's not lose our heads until we see that "Shantae is Ret-2-Go"

And I think that's why third parties have an advantage in DLC. They tend to grab more attention with there wow factor, as well as usually attracting an entirely new fan base(If it's a new series). Smash 4 DLC only had one new first party character, with the rest being either third party or a returning veteran(Which they obviously cant do for Ultimate).
While that does make sense, and It's fun to see the left-field characters that come, but I just hope the Nintendo Newcomers don't get shafted this time. The only Nintendo newcomer was a promotional one from an overrepresented franchise. Not saying there shouldn't be a lot of 3rd parties, but I'm hoping there will be a balance between Nintendo and Non-Nintendo newcomers.

Hopefully that won't be the case, since Sakurai said that all fighters would be revealed before release. Most likely specifically tailored to avoid ESRB 2.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
This happened earlier on the Isaac thread. One guy is losing hope entirely and other Isaac supporters may be a tad shaken. I personally don't feel like hope should be abandoned in spite of this.

The quote as is:
I hate to bring the thread down, but I think we should call it GGs for base. The biggest thing in our favor (and every other possible newcomer's favor) was the assumption we'd get an early October Direct. With that not panning out and people shifting to a Double Direct November, I think everyone's toast bar a miracle.

If it's indeed a General + Smash Direct, everyone is toast. General will most likely be a big name (presumably a Pokemon so presumably Incineroar), and the Smash will be focused on Spirits with a few left over reveals (presumably Ken).

Characterwise, the Smash Direct can go two ways, or what I'll call 103 and 108. 103 is MAYBE one character we haven't seen yet, 108 would be an insane a-la August blowout where everyone goes crazy. 108 is the least likely.

108 requires both Corocoro to *intentionally* mislead their readers regarding the stage total at this point and for Nintendo to know how to actually be competent with generating hype near release, which they have never proven themselves remotely good at. I would NOT expect lightning to strike twice and for a 3+ character reveal extravaganza to occur because of this.

Isaac will never be General Direct material for obvious reasons. The odds of him pulling a June Ridley are low for the same reasons: he isn't big enough to carry a Direct on his own in any reasonable way. The only characters that can come close aren't even majorly speculated on right now bar Steve, who is unlikely for different reasons but still fits the bill. For better or worse, all the largely speculated characters right now are virtual nobodies to most people. K. Rool definitely helps in this regard since he's a dinosaur in his own right, but for now I'm inclined to think hes the exception, not the rule.

I really want everyone's expectations for base to drop immediately, given how things are. I don't want Smash 4 to happen all over again, where the Isaac crowd went all-in even to the last minute and got crushed as a result. We need to be the first to shift towards DLC, become the forefront there, and *hope* someone hears us. If we keep going forward with most of our confidence in a basegame appearance, I'm worried we may fragment again. I'm not sure if we can recover from that nightmare a second time.

End rant and all that. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my delicious, delicious words while playing Isaac.

D

Deleted member

This happened earlier on the Isaac thread. One guy is losing hope entirely and other Isaac supporters may be a tad shaken. I personally don't feel like hope should be abandoned in spite of this.

The quote as is:
I hate to bring the thread down, but I think we should call it GGs for base. The biggest thing in our favor (and every other possible newcomer's favor) was the assumption we'd get an early October Direct. With that not panning out and people shifting to a Double Direct November, I think everyone's toast bar a miracle.

If it's indeed a General + Smash Direct, everyone is toast. General will most likely be a big name (presumably a Pokemon so presumably Incineroar), and the Smash will be focused on Spirits with a few left over reveals (presumably Ken).

Characterwise, the Smash Direct can go two ways, or what I'll call 103 and 108. 103 is MAYBE one character we haven't seen yet, 108 would be an insane a-la August blowout where everyone goes crazy. 108 is the least likely.

108 requires both Corocoro to *intentionally* mislead their readers regarding the stage total at this point and for Nintendo to know how to actually be competent with generating hype near release, which they have never proven themselves remotely good at. I would NOT expect lightning to strike twice and for a 3+ character reveal extravaganza to occur because of this.

Isaac will never be General Direct material for obvious reasons. The odds of him pulling a June Ridley are low for the same reasons: he isn't big enough to carry a Direct on his own in any reasonable way. The only characters that can come close aren't even majorly speculated on right now bar Steve, who is unlikely for different reasons but still fits the bill. For better or worse, all the largely speculated characters right now are virtual nobodies to most people. K. Rool definitely helps in this regard since he's a dinosaur in his own right, but for now I'm inclined to think hes the exception, not the rule.

I really want everyone's expectations for base to drop immediately, given how things are. I don't want Smash 4 to happen all over again, where the Isaac crowd went all-in even to the last minute and got crushed as a result. We need to be the first to shift towards DLC, become the forefront there, and *hope* someone hears us. If we keep going forward with most of our confidence in a basegame appearance, I'm worried we may fragment again. I'm not sure if we can recover from that nightmare a second time.

End rant and all that. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my delicious, delicious words while playing Isaac.
The easiest way to debunk what he said.......

F*** the box theory and f*** Steve as well.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace

The quote as is:

I mean, it seems very likely (imo) that Corocoro intentionally mislead readers, as the fact we are getting any newcomers hints at a map at least. Second, just because it happens with one month left doesn't mean there's not much to show. Not only is October not over, but there is a chance of directs back-to-back, especially when you consider we have seen almost none of the single-player content, and most of the menus are still a complete mystery. There's a lot they still have to show off.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
BTW, that "leak" that said Shantae would be an AT and listed the Killing Edge item as the next Blog update? Yeah, DEBUNKED. Luigi is today's update, rest his soul lol

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
BTW, that "leak" that said Shantae would be an AT and listed the Killing Edge item as the next Blog update? Yeah, DEBUNKED. Luigi is today's update, rest his soul lol
Didn't it say next item to be featured would be the edge sword? I don't think it said next character. But let's get some hype for ya boy loogi.

Top Bottom