• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Ah, that comment.
Didn't we already discuss this earlier?

Either way, it's very apparent that they don't know WayForward at all.
This line of thinking may apply to your average corporate, greedy, predatory suits, like EA, Activsion and maybe Nintendo as well.

But WayForward was never like that.
They were always fan-oriented, replying to posts in a more personal, friendly manner, instead of posting your average PR-statements.
And they have attained a lot of goodwill, simply for NOT resorting to such shady practices.

For a fan-oriented company full of lovable, "nerdy" people to suddenly become silent and evasive like this...
Let's just say this won't go unnoticed by fans and will certainly raise a lot of eyebrows.

Long story short: Practices like the commenter suggested may be standard for AAA-companies like EA, Activision, etc.
But WayForward has gained good will and respect from people for NOT being like this, for being forthcoming and friendly towards their fans, happy to provide them with whatever answers they can.

And if WayForward would suddenly resort to the same shady practices, their reputation would be guaranteed to suffer from this...
Well, as Samuel L. Jackson said in The Avengers playing Nick Fury: "I acknowledge that Omni has stated an opinion, but given that it is a stupid ass opinion I have elected to ignore it."

Okay, maybe that's not what he said, but close enough.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I do hope we get some sort of news sooner rather than later. It's nice to have a rough direct date to look forward to, but I would really prefer something small in between, as we have gotten next to nothing since September, and there's still a lot to cover besides newcomers.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Here's the thing, I love Omni. He's just such a chill and genuine dude who never acts with ill-intent. It actually makes me sad that people here think he's a hater because that just isn't him. His eye for technical detail is astounding and he's my go to source for leak-busting. Seriously, look at this. How the hell does somebody actually notice such a tiny split-second thing like that!?

However, his realm of expertise is in reading all the little goof-ups in graphics and design that reveals the frauds. His analysis here, as Paragon noted, is based on assuming that a smaller indie company like WayForward is going to act in the same manner as a huge company like Nintendo or Ubisoft and the like. The advantage of being smaller is that they have less eyes on them and can actually take the time to answer questions to fans in a much more frank and direct manner than a corporation that would be bombarded by literally hundreds of questions everyday if they opened themselves like that.

He's using his assumption on how the company behaves as his basis for bunking Shantae's chances, since he doesn't have a model to actually examine and debunk, and in this I do not believe his judgment is infallible, and I still believe that Shantae has a good chance of getting in. Not gonna lie though, Artsy's words was the first thing in a long time to actually shake my belief in her odds, even if only for a little bit.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Here's the thing, I love Omni. He's just such a chill and genuine dude who never acts with ill-intent. It actually makes me sad that people here think he's a hater because that just isn't him. His eye for technical detail is astounding and he's my go to source for leak-busting. Seriously, look at this. How the hell does somebody actually notice such a tiny split-second thing like that!?

However, his realm of expertise is in reading all the little goof-ups in graphics and design that reveals the frauds. His analysis here, as Paragon noted, is based on assuming that a smaller indie company like WayForward is going to act in the same manner as a huge company like Nintendo or Ubisoft and the like. The advantage of being smaller is that they have less eyes on them and can actually take the time to answer questions to fans in a much more frank and direct manner than a corporation that would be bombarded by literally hundreds of questions everyday if they opened themselves like that.

He's using his assumption on how the company behaves as his basis for bunking Shantae's chances, since he doesn't have a model to actually examine and debunk, and in this I do not believe his judgment is infallible, and I still believe that Shantae has a good chance of getting in. Not gonna lie though, Artsy's words was the first thing in a long time to actually shake my belief in her odds, even if for only a little bit.
I don't consider him a hater either, but I do feel like his logic is pretty shaky, and at this point its not much more than what many anti-Shantae people are like, even if he isn't against Shantae himself.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Omni is a very talented man, but he by no means is any kind of authority on who gets into Smash.

He says there is no indication that they are under an NDA, but he is completely ignoring Jammies mode. For Jammies mode to be a complete coincidence, to me, seems amazingly unlikely. For it to be an intentional reference, they would have needed prior knowledge of Ultimate to know both the name of the game and the tag line of "Everyone is here" And the only way they would have that knowledge is if they had a connection to the game, And if they were connected to the game, they would be under and NDA like Yacht Club was.

So, he just isn't paying attention to everything surrounding our girl. As I said, he doesn't care, so he is dismissing her. It doesn't bother me because I know he will be sad when Rayman isn't in the game, so lets let him feel cocky now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Omni is a very talented man, but he by no means is any kind of authority on who gets into Smash.

He says there is no indication that they are under an NDA, but he is completely ignoring Jammies mode. For Jammies mode to be a complete coincidence, to me, seems amazingly unlikely. For it to be an intentional reference, they would have needed prior knowledge of Ultimate to know both the name of the game and the tag line of "Everyone is here" And the only way they would have that knowledge is if they had a connection to the game, And if they were connected to the game, they would be under and NDA like Yacht Club was.

So, he just isn't paying attention to everything surrounding our girl. As I said, he doesn't care, so he is dismissing her. It doesn't bother me because I know he will be sad when Rayman isn't in the game, so lets let him feel cocky now.
I dont know how many times we have to point this out, but the thing that's most important to take notice is that they do respond to questions about appearances and future games, with 'there's nothing to announce..', and yet questions about smash they dont respond at all, are completely silent. It's evident enough that they're under an nda about it. It just doesn't mean she's a fighter necessarily. It opens up doors though :)

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

He's using his assumption on how the company behaves as his basis for bunking Shantae's chances, since he doesn't have a model to actually examine and debunk, and in this I do not believe his judgment is infallible, and I still believe that Shantae has a good chance of getting in. Not gonna lie though, Artsy's words was the first thing in a long time to actually shake my belief in her odds, even if only for a little bit.
I never said he was a hater, but he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about, in regards to WayForward's practices.
I fault him for not doing his homework. Nothing more.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I apologize if you thought that I insinuated that you were. It's more just reading the mood and general reaction to Artsy's comments.
Well I can't blame them really...
In some parts of his comment (especially the one with the =P face), he comes off as smug and obnoxious.
Like he knows he is ruining the mood, putting down people's hopes and enjoys every second of it.

Of course, the biggest flaw of his comment, remains to be it being based on a false premise, aka WayForward being just like EA, Activision, etc.
But him acting all high and mighty in parts of his comment, doesn't exactly help his case either...

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Do you know what'd be the biggest troll Sakurai could pull on us? Well, what if the next Direct played out like this...

"Hello, this is Masahiro Sakurai, from Sora Ltd. This is a followup to our recent announcements about Super Smash Brothers Ultimate... and, hey, speaking of, do you remember when we stated that "Everyone is Here"? Well we LIED!"

*Direct abruptly Finishes*

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Problem is, even if they were, the NDAs they signed could result in a hefty sue if they spill the beans.

If I signed one of those things, I wouldn't tell any of you guys anything. Not worth the potential financial consequences.
Do you know what'd be the biggest troll Sakurai could pull on us? Well, what if the next Direct played out like this...

"Hello, this is Masahiro Sakurai, from Sora Ltd. This is a followup to our recent announcements about Super Smash Brothers Ultimate... and, hey, speaking of, do you remember when we stated that "Everyone is Here"? Well we LIED!"

*Direct abruptly Finishes*
That would be upsetting in so many ways, Dylly. I don't even want to think about it, so I'm glad that's not in his character.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I thought of an especially cruel trick they could throw at us...one that technically would be in keeping with one of the Shantae series' traditions. The Direct is going, gets to the AT section and Shantae shows up, whipping at someone, then stops and gives the fourth wall a hard look. A HGH-style character portrait pops up with a dialogue box where Shantae asays: "Reaally? An Assist Trophy? After all that waiting and hard work?" A text box with "..." appears. Shantae comes back, "We know I can work in this game, so why not?!" "..." "Well, fine. I am a half genie after all! I'm gonna grant my fans' wishes!" She then whips away the text boxes and the splash screen comes up: "SHANTAE GRANTS A WISH!" Boom. Playable.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man waiting till the 8th is gonna suck if thats true. But that means on the 8th we will get every last character.

I don't think that means only expect 2 characters though. Sakurai only said expect the flow of trailers to slow down. doing them all on 1 day doesn't go against that. Its very possible he can drop 8 characters on 1 day. 4 echos and 4 uniques. doesn't expect more then that though. The lowest we;ll get is 4 total, 2 uniques and 2 echos. It has to be a multiple of 4.

D

Deleted member

I think I’m seeing a pattern here for newcomers

:ultinkling:Normal
:ultridley:Pirate
:ultsimon:Normal
:ultkrool:Pirate
:ultisabelle:Normal
??? Pirate/genie?

And do you think before getting shantae and the others to her ship at the
End of jammies mode..do you think risky called some folks to poop the party because of what shantae did on the final level? (invite everyone on her private cabin and risky didn't like that)
:ultridley::ultkrool:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I thought of an especially cruel trick they could throw at us...one that technically would be in keeping with one of the Shantae series' traditions. The Direct is going, gets to the AT section and Shantae shows up, whipping at someone, then stops and gives the fourth wall a hard look. A HGH-style character portrait pops up with a dialogue box where Shantae asays: "Reaally? An Assist Trophy? After all that waiting and hard work?" A text box with "..." appears. Shantae comes back, "We know I can work in this game, so why not?!" "..." "Well, fine. I am a half genie after all! I'm gonna grant my fans' wishes!" She then whips away the text boxes and the splash screen comes up: "SHANTAE GRANTS A WISH!" Boom. Playable.
Ahahahahaha oh my God!!! That would be an even more dastardly troll moment than Dedede in the K. Rool costume!!! If that actually happened, my sides would go missing.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Along the lines of Isabelle's trailer, I could totally see Shantae's trailer being based on HGH before getting to actual gameplay footage. That would be sweet !

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
That would suck! No, I've got a better idea...

So, Shantae begins with "Reaally? An Assist Trophy? After all that waiting and hard work?" A text box with "..." appears. Shantae comes back, "Alright, I'll accept my fate... but, Rotty hasn't yet, has she?". Rottytops rushes into the forefront, and leaps towards the screen, as a splash pops up exclaiming, "ROTTYTOPS RISES INTO THE COMPETITION!".

;)
Along the lines of Isabelle's trailer, I could totally see Shantae's trailer being based on HGH before getting to actual gameplay footage. That would be sweet !
Yeah, that'd be awesome!

I love the trailers which use an art style, more in line with the games from which the character appears in! (Palutena's being my favourite reveal trailer ever :))

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I think we all couldve guessed there'd be a direct in november if not this month, though maybe feeling it's coming is a relief too for some.
Either way it's going to come within the next 3 weeks :)

:)

omg milky, I love your avatar, it's so adorable. <3
Yess adorable like you ;D

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Shantae and Isaac are the most popular characters on this board. Would be crazy if both were confirmed in the last direct.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Oh they will be!
I think the elitist assholes who say **** like "Isaac is from a dead series. He won't be in." or "Shantae is an obscure nobody. No indies in Smash!"

It's like... eh. Whatever you say. But Sakurai is known to be open minded. And if a character is popular with amazing moveset potential, I don't see what's stopping him from adding them in.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I'l lbe able to survive the whiplash this emotional rollercoaster would give me....

D

Deleted member

I think I’m seeing a pattern here for newcomers

:ultinkling:Normal
:ultridley:Pirate
:ultsimon:Normal
:ultkrool:Pirate
:ultisabelle:Normal
??? Pirate/genie?

And do you think before getting shantae and the others to her ship at the
End of jammies mode..do you think risky called some folks to poop the party because of what shantae did on the final level? (invite everyone on her private cabin and risky didn't like that)
:ultridley::ultkrool:
Hey um guys.....

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
But then we won't get FMV Shantae doing amazing things we'll never get to do in gameplay :(.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I figure that Ray could still get in since Ubisoft is in good graces with Nintendo right now (unless they opt for the Rabbids instead :urg:).

That said, Omni does miss the forest for the trees. Pardon my French, but he seems like a casual Internet browser that doesn't do proper research on some topics, so it's little wonder why he doesn't think Shantae will get in.

Man waiting till the 8th is gonna suck if thats true. But that means on the 8th we will get every last character.

I don't think that means only expect 2 characters though. Sakurai only said expect the flow of trailers to slow down. doing them all on 1 day doesn't go against that. Its very possible he can drop 8 characters on 1 day. 4 echos and 4 uniques. doesn't expect more then that though. The lowest we;ll get is 4 total, 2 uniques and 2 echos. It has to be a multiple of 4.
At least it's only 2 weeks. But if the Direct still doesn't happen then, Sakurai is going to need to rethink how "slowing down reveals" works.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77118331

The creator of the Geno leak has officially come forward. Of course he might still be in but this leak in particular is dead as dust now.
That's quite disappointing.

Thankfully, it doesn't affect his chances in the slightest. If you did think that that was the case, then every text leak including Shantae as an assist, would be decreasing her chances at being playable, no?

(I had to find a way to tie it back into Shantae, somehow :p)

Top Bottom