• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Swade

Smash Apprentice
Lighthouses are also sort of a figure in the Golden Sun series, too, so be careful with that!
In before duo Shantae and Isaac reveal
If that happened, makes me think if both the Shantae and Isaac fandom would be buddy-buddies for awhile.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
For the record, I don't think a character being an AT now could prevent them for becoming playable later on DLC, though I do think it's not too likely.

However, I do believe characters who were ATs in previous games and are ATs again now (Waluigi, Ashley, Midna, Lyn) have a better shot at showing up on DLC than characters that are new ATs. I'm certainly not expecting Zero, Knuckles, Crystal or Shovel Knight becoming playable anytime soon.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
For the record, I don't think a character being an AT now could prevent them for becoming playable later on DLC, though I do think it's not too likely.

However, I do believe characters who were ATs in previous games and are ATs again now (Waluigi, Ashley, Midna, Lyn) have a better shot at showing up on DLC than characters that are new ATs. I'm certainly not expecting Zero, Knuckles, Crystal or Shovel Knight becoming playable anytime soon.
Sorry, but ATs becoming playable characters in the same game, I don't think is possible.
Because frankly, if they were to be playable, they would've been from the start.

Assist Trophies are for characters that weren't realizable as fighters, but still deserve representation in Sakurai's eyes.
So ATs are a close second to being a fighter.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Sorry, but ATs becoming playable characters in the same game, I don't think is possible.
Because frankly, if they were to be playable, they would've been from the start.

Assist Trophies are for characters that weren't realizable as fighters, but still deserve representation in Sakurai's eyes.
That's fine if you believe so. I respect that.

I just believe differently.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm certainly not expecting Zero, Knuckles, Crystal or Shovel Knight becoming playable anytime soon.
You know what would be hilarious? If most of Sonic's friends (and Dr. Eggman) get in via DLC, leaving Knuckles as the only one left as an AT. Super Smash Bros Ultimate & No Knuckles! :p

Yeah, thinking ATs can be reprogrammed for DLC purposes is delusion, when resources can best be saved for other characters. Plus this can increase the chances for characters people didn't ask for as strongly.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, thinking ATs can be reprogrammed for DLC purposes is delusion, when resources can best be saved for other characters. Plus this can increase the chances for characters people didn't ask for as strongly.
Yeah, it's quite amusing to see people say "Oh it's really easy. Just do X".
I really wish those people would get into video game development soon, so that they will see just how difficult it is to make things like this, let alone making a full game.

I think this soldifies the point of people being greedy about their favourite characters and expecting everything to bend to their will.
And if their character ends up being an AT, they are in denial about it and expect Sakurai to backpedal and make the character playable later.

Like seriously guys, use your heads and think logically.
And maybe you can see why this isn't likely to happen...

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
You know what would be hilarious? If most of Sonic's friends (and Dr. Eggman) get in via DLC, leaving Knuckles as the only one left as an AT. Super Smash Bros Ultimate & No Knuckles! :p

Like Shantae! :p

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I really wish those people would get into video game development soon, so that they will see just how difficult it is to make things like this, let alone making a full game.

I think this soldifies the point of people being greedy about their favourite characters and expecting everything to bend to their will.
And if their character ends up being an AT, they are in denial about it and expect Sakurai to backpedal and make the character playable later.

Which explains why people are angry when it happens. Especially with characters with hordes of potential as a fighter. Like shantae.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Which explains why people are angry when it happens. Especially with characters with hordes of potential as a fighter. Like shantae.
And maybe you should stop being so greedy about Shantae as a fighter.
If she ends up being a fighter, awesome.
But if she is an AT, oh well, the game will still be great and Shantae still benefits greatly from her role.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Well...

So yeah, don't get your hopes up.
It's extremely unlikely.

Also, you should stop claiming it's so simple.
To quote Sakurai himself:
Never claimed it was simple. I just said that making Shantae a DLC fighter if she's already an assist trophy would not mean they would have to remove said assist trophy. And in answer to Sakurai, YES. It may be in RPG Maker, but yes, I AM making a game. Sure, it's not as complex as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but still. I do know the annoyances of misprogramming something.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
And maybe you should stop being so greedy about Shantae as a fighter.
If she ends up being a fighter, awesome.
But if she is an AT, oh well, the game will still be great and Shantae still benefits greatly from her role.
Perhaps you should stop being irrational. AT are fine for one note characters like the moon or Waluigi but for a deep fleshed out character with hordes of potential, its flat out illogical.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

For the record, I don't think it's easy. I just don't believe it's entirely out of the question. I'm not even particularly attached to any current ATs. I supported Ashley, but I've moved on by now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shantae isn't confirmed to be an AT yet, so there's no use getting angry about this now. This is all a purely hypothetical scenario.

I can understand your frustration, but until further notice we can't do anything about it but wait. She's pretty much the last bastion of sanity for those supporting indies. If she's not in or is an AT, it'll "prove" to the naysayers that indies have no place as playable in Smash, acting as if they considered the divide between big name companies and indies as a caste system of the rich and the poor.

Hey, you know there's this guy called Isaac right...
At least his fanbase can afford to be chill, since he has a bigger chance than ever this time.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Never claimed it was simple. I just said that making Shantae a DLC fighter if she's already an assist trophy would not mean they would have to remove said assist trophy. And in answer to Sakurai, YES. It may be in RPG Maker, but yes, I AM making a game. Sure, it's not as complex as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but still. I do know the annoyances of misprogramming something.
But again, if Sakurai has a proper vision for her as a fighter, he wouldn't make her an AT in the first place.

Another thing to consider is how long it took to make the game and its content.
And how much time was spent developing the AT's.
Do you seriously think they'd throw that out of the window and make it into a character, on such short notice?

Perhaps you should stop being irrational. AT are fine for one note characters like the moon or Waluigi but for a deep fleshed out character with hordes of potential, its flat out illogical.
The only irrational one is you, with your entitlement and boycott threats against WayForward, if your demands aren't met.
Just because you think she has the potential, doesn't mean Sakurai sees it the same way.

It's up to him to come up with a proper vision for her.
And if he can't come up with one, then AT is the second best thing for her to happen in Smash.

So yeah, again stop being greedy.
I want her playable as much as everyone else here, but I am not greedy about it.
And if she isn't playable, it's too bad, but still nothing worth losing sleep over.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Shantae isn't confirmed to be an AT yet, so there's no use getting angry about this now. This is all a purely hypothetical scenario.

I can understand your frustration, but until further notice we can't do anything about it but wait. She's pretty much the last bastion of sanity for those supporting indies. If she's not in or is an AT, it'll prove to the naysayers that indies have no place as playable in Smash, acting as if they considered the divide between big name companies and indies as a caste system of the rich and the poor.
Touhou is technically indie... Heck, is Minecraft still considered indie?

The fact, that we have alot of fun characters already as AT is bad enough. Adding Shantae to that already massive list of lost potential would sting even harder.
I'm already salty enough over Bomberman and Krystal...

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
And this is the reason why we lost Jazzy, it's because we're just infighting at this point.
How about you guys just stop and think this through without referring to the spreadsheet or to all the "evidence" we got for Shantae or against Shantae.
Because at the end of the end of the day, Sakurai will just do what Sakurai does, "evidence" be damned.
However, just simply being all like "ugh stop being greedy about a character" is not the way to go. You can't just force someone to go all like "Oh, sorry I'm hyped for a certain character's chances! Guess I should accept that it's just a video game!" because, really, that's not human to do it in one fell swoop. If you have hard facts about this phenomena, then feel free to share it so that we could speculate on this. However, if you just keep pulling up the Greedy card, it'll just get old quick.
To put it bluntly, I'm sick of this **** and you guys who are arguing this should knock this **** off, before we get in even more hot water.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Heyy. You know there's nothing to worry about for shantae. nothing's changed, the wf silence and all that is still there, and everything,

Really all that's happening is people getting antsy and then that energy doesnt know where to go and then that brings up unjustifed worry, which turns to doubt, and that clashes with others a bit. You just need to relax and be patient and talk about other things and look forward to more info, basically.

I mean really, it'll be awesome to see what ends up happening. Shantae has a chance, and that's all we can appreciate right now, there's not much more.
So have fun, or distract yourself or whatever you need to do, and play some games and enjoy smash footage, i dunno. & talk for the fun of it (besides discussing..)

aaight, that's my post of the day lol. hf ;)

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Update on "that subject". The trend has gotten from over 1.4 million 2 days ago, now it has over 100 MILLION!!

Yeah, Nintendo is sitting on a literal gold mine.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Update on "that subject". The trend has gotten from over 1.4 million 2 days ago, now it has over 100 MILLION!!

Yeah, Nintendo is sitting on a literal gold mine.
are you talking about bowsette? cuz I cant freakin go look for anime pictures without it being flooded by that stuff. I have to filter it just to see what else there is. :/
I dont know how it happened, but if people like it i guess nintendo could think about taking it up.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Heyy. You know there's nothing to worry about for shantae. nothing's changed, the wf silence and all that is still there, and everything,

Really all that's happening is people getting antsy and then that energy doesnt know where to go and then that brings up unjustifed worry, which turns to doubt, and that clashes with others a bit. You just need to relax and be patient and talk about other things and look forward to more info, basically.

I mean really, it'll be awesome to see what ends up happening. Shantae has a chance, and that's all we can appreciate right now, there's not much more.
So have fun, or distract yourself or whatever you need to do, and play some games and enjoy smash footage, i dunno. & talk for the fun of it (and discussing..)

aaight, that's my post of the day lol. hf ;)
Oh hey look Teeb posted...

WAIT TEEB POSTED!

Hey, nonono, don't leave me now, please don't go.

Darn.

are you talking about bowsette? cuz I cant freakin go look for anime pictures without it being flooded by that stuff. I have to filter it just to see what else there is. :/
I dont know how it happened, but if people like it i guess nintendo could think about taking it up.
Teeb posted... again!

WAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

I can understand your frustration, but until further notice we can't do anything about it but wait. She's pretty much the last bastion of sanity for those supporting indies. If she's not in or is an AT, it'll "prove" to the naysayers that indies have no place as playable in Smash, acting as if they considered the divide between big name companies and indies as a caste system of the rich and the poor.

At least his fanbase can afford to be chill, since he has a bigger chance than ever this time.
Unlike Custom Robos Ray Mk II. still upsets me that they canceled that game series. Won't even appear as an AT ever again.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but the thing is Reimu or anyone else from that hasn't gotten much strong Smash support.

As for Minecraft, it's become mainstream enough to get spin-off and imitator comics in France. So, not really so much these days.
I doubt we'll get Reimu even though shed make an awesome character. Nintendo tends to cater to the west more. Which is why i always thought Shantae was more likely than Shovel Knight and Reimu. Shovel knight is popular mainly in the US and reimu is popular mainly in Japan. Shantae while like sk is only popular in the us, has a design that is appealing to the japanese.

In short Shantae is more likely to have international appeal than SK or Reimu. Or atleast probably according to nintendo.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

I will say RIGHT now that, even though I think it would be a waste of potential, I will not be mad if Shantae is an assist trophy. In fact, I'm planning to do a "sprite" comic using her portraits from HGH to commemorate whether she's in as a fighter or assist trophy. And one if she isn't confirmed either way.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see if there will be a Smash Direct coming on October or November. Regular directs would probability not have any more information on Smash Ultimate since Sakurai did say that they are slowing down the Smash information flow.

Shadowknight1

Personally, I think we'll get a Smash direct in October that'll throw out a new character and one or two echoes, then I think we'll get a single character during a Nintendo direct in October. We MIGHT get another character or two during a final direct in November. I don't think we'll get a direct or an announcement in December.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Personally, I think we'll get a Smash direct in October that'll throw out a new character and one or two echoes, then I think we'll get a single character during a Nintendo direct in October. We MIGHT get another character or two during a final direct in November. I don't think we'll get a direct or an announcement in December.
It'd be a bit silly to expect a Direct in December. The only real way that could happen is if Sakurai announces DLC there, and teases for a free DLC character, which would go in line with the game being as perfect as it could be, already being golden and awaiting release. Though I personally think that we're going to get a 50 Fact Extravaganza-esque Smash Direct in either November or even late October, since Sakurai himself doesn't need to put himself in there, the Direct's Directors could get Xander to record about the improvements and differences between the 4 Wii U version and Ultimate. So if we are to expect a Smash Direct in either October or November (impossibly unlikely for both, unless they do an either-or policy for the Directs, where we could either get a character reveal centric Smash Direct or a 50 Fact Extravaganza Smash Direct. This isn't based on fact, just gut instincts.) And that'll be when Sakurai teases a new DLC character. Cue Etika's chair being torn apart, yet still selling for $500 on eBay.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Usually there would be characters kept for the release, but since that's not the case this time, there could still be something in december for a surprise. maybe not, but i still think it could be possible. I really dont know how many more reveals there'll be, could just be a few, or not, but the more the merrier :)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Usually there would be characters kept for the release, but since that's not the case this time, there could still be something in december for a surprise. maybe not, but i still think it could be possible. I really dont know how many more reveals there'll be, could just be a few, or not, but the more the merrier :)
Oh! wait, uhm, Teeb, come back!

Gone already. Will my life ever be good to me for once?

D

Deleted member

So since those blog posts could be hers when do you think she will really get revealed?

A.random day
B.a direct
C.close to release

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
if she is revealed as an AT do you think it'll just be the Sable Prince (I think that's who it was. He turned into a snake or frog) ? Where she transforms then attacks in a cloud it's smoke

D

Deleted member

if she is revealed as an AT do you think it'll just be the Sable Prince (I think that's who it was. He turned into a snake or frog) ? Where she transforms then attacks in a cloud it's smoke
Yeah because......because

You know I kinda see this happening

Uh oh

(Slaps myself on the face) Nope nope nope pull yourself together @Connorb0t2 she will be a fighter you have all these tinfoil bits of evidence don’t give up Connor!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
So since those blog posts could be hers when do you think she will really get revealed?

A.random day
B.a direct
C.close to release
I think a penultimate direct would make sense. I feel like Sakurai would explain why he chose her and everything that went into her. As excited as I'll be if she's included I don't think she's going to be the final reveal. That'd be reserved for a BIG SHOCK.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I still have yet to see any credible evidence that discounts Shantae, and no, fake 4Chan text leaks don't count.

And I think her potential would be completely wasted as an assist trophy just like Ashley and Bomberman's were. Some characters do deserve better than the assist trophy treatment. Call me "greedy" if you want, but if random fans on the internet can see their potential and come up with custom movesets for them, I don't see why someone as creative as Sakurai can't.

Top Bottom