• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
There are only two characters I'm hoping for to make this truly Ultimate, and one is Shantae, the other one is looking a little more likely for DLC (Sora. It could happen!!). Even without her tho, it'll still be amazing. Beyond amazing. Almost really ultimate!

It will truly be the Smash Bros. Special!
Sora would be awesome. Though, due to Disney owning his likeness, it would be a feat of inhuman negotiation for Sakurai to get him.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Okay, there is definitely something up with WayForward. They're usually so forthcoming with their fans, so it's incredibly out of character to see them ignoring fan questions. They're going out of their way to ignore anything about Smash which is so different to how they acted during the ballot.

If Shantae isn't in the game, I'd rather they just tell us so we can get this over with. To be honest I think they would have if she wasn't in Smash in some form. Otherwise all this teasing would hurt the goodwill they've built up with their fans over the years. This is why I do think she's in the game in some form or another.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I have very little attachment to Kingdom Hearts, so Sora would get nothing more than a “Eh, that’s cool” from me. I’d prefer Terra, Neku or Edea for a second SE rep.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Okay, there is definitely something up with WayForward. They're usually so forthcoming with their fans, so it's incredibly out of character to see them ignoring fan questions. They're going out of their way to ignore anything about Smash which is so different to how they acted during the ballot.

If Shantae isn't in the game, I'd rather they just tell us so we can get this over with. To be honest I think they would have if she wasn't in Smash in some form. Otherwise all this teasing would hurt the goodwill they've built up with their fans over the years. This is why I do think she's in the game in some form or another.
And this right here should kill the argument, that WayForward are making their own fighting game.

Seriously, whoever it was that actually made this argument...
Why on Earth would WayForward outright ignore questions regarding Smash, if Shantae isn't in Smash, but in their own fighting game?
Wouldn't they do the same as was done with Dante and deconfirm her outright for Smash?

Seriously, you guys keep coming up with stuff to say Shantae isn't in.
But it never explains WayForward's radio silence, which frankly doesn't make sense, if Shantae isn't in the game at all.

And while I am at it, let me bring up some other things that people have been talking about.
Has nothing to do with Shantae, but I wanted to get it out my system.

- Isabelle only became a safe prediction, after leakers said it.

No, she was a rather safe bet before that.
I never played any Animal Crossing games, yet even I know who she is.
Also, she appeared in Mario Kart 8, alongside the two versions of villager.
And the Villager appeared in Smash 4.
So it was rather safe to assume that Isabelle was going to be one of the newcomers.
Leakers had nothing to do with it.

- Ken isn't a safe bet/Is only a safe bet because of leakers.

First off, ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!
Second, Ken is pretty much the original Echo Fighter, before we called them that.
And with Echo Fighters becoming a prominent thing, having Ken as an Echo for Ryu is a no-brainer.

And if you're gonna pick an Echo for Ryu, I take Ken over Dan any day. I hate that character.
Not only was he made just out of spite for a rival company, he is so dumb and useless that he makes Patrick Star seem smart in comparison.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Sora?

Eh, okay. I always saw him as more of a Disney character and less of a Square Enix character, but I still would be happy to see him make it in. It would be hard to represent Kingdom Hearts though, without having to put in other Disney characters, so I think it would be easier to make him an assist.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I have very little attachment to Kingdom Hearts, so Sora would get nothing more than a “Eh, that’s cool” from me. I’d prefer Terra, Neku or Edea for a second SE rep.
Edea? But Square doesn't acknowledge Final Fantasy VIII.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Sora would be awesome. Though, due to Disney owning his likeness, it would be a feat of inhuman negotiation for Sakurai to get him.
According to Disney Japan's vice president it's more up to Nomura for if he'd be alright with Sora in Smash.
plus there are enough original characters in KH that you could get by without Donald, Goofy, and Mickey.

Also these are just my two characters that would finish off me wanting anyone, and I'd never ask for Sakurai for anything ever again :D

Also I don't think WF would make a fighting game unless it was cross something else. It'd make more sense to me.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
And this right here should kill the argument, that WayForward are making their own fighting game.

Why on Earth would WayForward outright ignore questions regarding Smash, if Shantae isn't in Smash, but in their own fighting game?
Wouldn't they do the same as was done with Dante and deconfirm her outright for Smash?

But it never explains WayForward's radio silence, which frankly doesn't make sense, if Shantae isn't in the game at all.

And while I am at it, let me bring up some other things that people have been talking about.

So it was rather safe to assume that Isabelle was going to be one of the newcomers.

Second, Ken is pretty much the original Echo Fighter, before we called them that.
And with Echo Fighters becoming a prominent thing, having Ken as an Echo for Ryu is a no-brainer.

And if you're gonna pick an Echo for Ryu, I take Ken over Dan any day. I hate that character.
Not only was he made just out of spite for a rival company, he is so dumb and useless that he makes Patrick Star seem smart in comparison.
This.

I'm so sick of people giving Vergaben credit for putting Isabelle in the limelight. People were predicting her long before he came around on his high horse. She was a fairly easy and safe bet.

D

Deleted member

This.

I'm so sick of people giving Vergaben credit for putting Isabelle in the limelight. People were predicting her long before he came around on his high horse. She was a fairly easy and safe bet.
Yes let’s all agree that every leak is a fake leak and I prefer another Pokémon over nacho libre cat it’s just to bland

Also it’s funny how no leaker mentioned shantae could this be part of wayforwards nda/ncc cause it seems pretty effective to me due to no one mentioning her

NukeA6

Smash Master
Wait, people aren't seriously considering that Dan Hibiki is going to be the new Street Fighter rep, are they?

He would be hilarious! I wouldn't mind it, but I don't think it's ever gonna happen.
I'd rather have him than non-SF5 Ken. At least he would have different moves.

D

Deleted member

That would also be pretty hilarious, too, if Plusle and Minun were there in place of Incineroar.
Also, a meme picture straight from the pits of the Shantae Discord:
It would debunk veggiehead for good

Also nice meme

I was the guy who suggested the Shantae fighting game. Wasn't actually saying "THIS IS WHY SHANTAE ISN'T IN SMASH!!!", it was more of a suggestion as to why Wayforward would be so silent and exclusive IF Shantae isn't in Smash. I believe all these weird hints are leading to her being playable but if she isn't there must be SOME reason Wayforward had been so weird about it.

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Dunno if anyone is keeping up on Slackerz Gaming's Smash double elimination Tourney, but Shantae is cleaning house. She's up against Skull Kid next.

D

Deleted member

How on earth would you create a moveset for Captain Falcon?

They can draw quite a lot from the 3 Zelda games that Skull Kid's appeared in, not including Hyrule Warriors, which has even more stuff to draw from.
Just make him a boss instead he’s not a fighter

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
How on earth would you create a moveset for Captain Falcon?

They can draw quite a lot from the 3 Zelda games that Skull Kid's appeared in, not including Hyrule Warriors, which has even more stuff to draw from.
It's funny, I actually forgot that Skull Kid was in Twilight Princess. He doesn't really do much outside of Majora's Mask, and even in that game he just floats and teleports. But, if they can develop a movesets for freaking *ROB*, anything is possible.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Actually it was because of...chair theory.

besides, people like him, it's just, due to how Zelda is represented, he didn't seem to have a chance until he was supposedly "leaked"

gosh darn trolls
Actually, this goes even deeper than just the chairs. It went in with Reggie himself having a Skull Kid figurine on his desk. That's how deep it got. 8/8 doesn't have **** on that few seconds.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Actually, this goes even deeper than just the chairs. It went in with Reggie himself having a Skull Kid figurine on his desk. That's how deep it got. 8/8 doesn't have **** on that few seconds.
that is kinda funny; it's just the Majora's Mask 3DS figurine, not an amiibo or something :S

and the video wasn't even smash-related

edit: admittedly I believed chair theory as well, when combined with the couch, as the E3 direct background seeming to be related to K. Rool felt convincing and I thought Pac-Man cloud was legit :I

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

that is kinda funny; it's just the Majora's Mask 3DS figurine, not an amiibo or something :S

and the video wasn't even smash-related

edit: admittedly I believed chair theory as well, when combined with the couch, as the E3 direct background seeming to be related to K. Rool felt convincing and I thought Pac-Man cloud was legit :I
Actually the whole room was tropic themed look at the spread sheet we made

AND STOP TAKLKING ABOUT SKULL KID HE IS NOW UNLIKLEY

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Actually the whole room was tropic themed look at the spread sheet we made

AND STOP TAKLKING ABOUT SKULL KID HE IS NOW UNLIKLEY
Shh shh, Calm down there.

Hey, it's better discussing this than discussing silly leaks and Twitter posts. But if you want to talk about something else, I'm sure there has to be something.

Agreed. :(

D

Deleted member

Shh shh, Calm down there.

Hey, it's better discussing this than discussing silly leaks and Twitter posts. But if you want to talk about something else, I'm sure there has to be something.

Agreed. :(
All I’m saying is can we just move on to another fighter that had Been hinted in the rathalos AT picture please?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I was the guy who suggested the Shantae fighting game. Wasn't actually saying "THIS IS WHY SHANTAE ISN'T IN SMASH!!!", it was more of a suggestion as to why Wayforward would be so silent and exclusive IF Shantae isn't in Smash. I believe all these weird hints are leading to her being playable but if she isn't there must be SOME reason Wayforward had been so weird about it.
Alright then.
Answer me this: If WayForward were making their own fighting game...
1. Why would they need to be silent about Smash Bros?
2. Why not outright deconfirm Shantae, if she isn't in Smash? Like Dante's creator did with... well, Dante?

D

Deleted member

Oh you mean Issac. For someone like me who never touched a Golden Sun game, even I can say that pic was hinting towards GS.
They could also be doing the same to shantae because it hinting towards the shantae nab game

In that case check the Pokémon/assists to see if they are hinting anyone else

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
They could also be doing the same to shantae because it hinting towards the shantae nab game
But, that Golden Sun stance is pretty iconic to the series, while Shantae Nab is just an obscure Warioware minigame. And I bet even less people know about it's sequel in Pirate's Curse.

Just, why reference that when you could reference something more well-known within the Shantae series?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Plusle & Minun being in would mean Pickachu bias, wouldn't it?

Think the reaction would be any better or saltier if Captain N got in?
Definitely salty, but his chances are infinitesimal anyway since the character rights are with DiC/Cookie Jar/whatever the hell they're called now.

We really are missing the troll characters for at least the Assist Trophies.
Given that Starfy coming back in that way would remind his fanbase of how he's treated in Smash, it's probably for the best that they're kept retired and don't open old wounds. Besides, most assist trophies took Starfy's unique function this time, so there isn't much use for him at present.

D

Deleted member

But, that Golden Sun stance is pretty iconic to the series, while Shantae Nab is just an obscure Warioware minigame. And I bet even less people know about it's sequel in Pirate's Curse.

Just, why reference that when you could reference something more well-known within the Shantae series?

TRUST ME ITS ALL CONECTED SOMEHOW!!!!!

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
So, with people being fairly confident the Rathalos pic is a Golden Sun reference, what picture referencing a less obscure Shantae thing (so discounting nab) would you like to see Sakurai post on his Twitter before a potential reveal?

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Oh. Well Square does still ignore Final Fantasy VIII. :p A Bravely Default character would be cool, though I imagine Agnes would take that spot.
Yeah, it's a shame they continue to ignore VIII.
It really isn't as bad as people say it is.

I have played it several times and I never had any big problems with it...
It might be more complex than it needs to be, but I could live with it...

Top Bottom