• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Swade

Smash Apprentice
I still have yet to see any credible evidence that discounts Shantae, and no, fake 4Chan text leaks don't count.

And I think her potential would be completely wasted as an assist trophy just like Ashley and Bomberman's were. Some characters do deserve better than the assist trophy treatment. Call me "greedy" if you want, but if random fans on the internet can see their potential and come up with custom movesets for them, I don't see why someone as creative as Sakurai can't.
Might as well throw in Gamefaqs in there too.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Very true. GameFAQs is worse than 4Chan when it comes to Smash.

While Shantae does have good evidence in her favor, perhaps more than most other characters, it's important to consider that no character should be considered a lock, not even ones like Ken or Geno.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Very true. GameFAQs is worse than 4Chan when it comes to Smash.

While Shantae does have good evidence in her favor, perhaps more than most other characters, it's important to consider that no character should be considered a lock, not even ones like Ken or Geno.
or else the supposedly lock will convert into salt

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Treat assist trophies the same way you do with leaks. Shouldn't matter if you believe they can happen or not. The point is to keep demand consistent.

In exposure news, check out this new vid by joshscorcher deliviering two shout-outs to Shantae games (Warning: may cause depression. Stop watching after the second point of interest to avoid the worst of it.)

And to move away from Smash speculation, how do you all think events post-Half-Genie Hero will play out for her friends? Will Bolo's dojo become an important facility? Will Wrench's family have a problem that needs to be solved? Will Shantae actually take Rottytops's offer of a zombie road trip?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Treat assist trophies the same way you do with leaks. Shouldn't matter if you believe they can happen or not. The point is to keep demand consistent.

In exposure news, check out this new vid by joshscorcher deliviering two shout-outs to Shantae games (Warning: may cause depression. Stop watching after the second point of interest to avoid the worst of it.)

And to move away from Smash speculation, how do you all think events post-Half-Genie Hero will play out for her friends? Will Bolo's dojo become an important facility? Will Wrench's family have a problem that needs to be solved? Will Shantae actually take Rottytops's offer of a zombie road trip?
Assuming the good ending is canon, I’m kinda curious at what Risky will do next considering she likely still believes the Genie Realm was destroyed

D

Deleted member

I STILL WANT TO BELIEVE!!!

btw do you want me to draw the perspective where daisy is hip bumping shantae for you guys?

NukeA6

Smash Master

I STILL WANT TO BELIEVE!!!

btw do you want me to draw the perspective where daisy is hip bumping shantae for you guys?
Just be aware that space doesn't matter in that banner. Because things get rearranged around. Noticed it with Isabelle's inclusion and there's proof here:

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I'm just going to say that I believe in Shantae for Smash.

I really believe she will be in the game, she is very popular and a very important character for Nintendo's public. So, since she has not yet been announced as an AT makes me think she has a good chance to make it to the base roster or at least as a DLC (maybe we still have many sits with DLCs).
For me Shantae really deservers to be in Smash, I mean Geno + Shantae + Isaac would be awesome!
Good luck and don't lose hope just yet, keep strong!

Cheers.

Edit: Please add me to supporter list!

Last edited:

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'm just going to say that I believe in Shantae for Smash.

I really believe she will be in the game, she is very popular and a very important character for Nintendo's public. So, since she has not yet been announced as an AT makes me think she has a good chance to make it to the base roster or at least as a DLC (maybe we still have many sits with DLCs).
For me Shantae really deservers to be in Smash, I mean Geno + Shantae + Isaac would be awesome!
Good luck and don't lose hope just yet, keep strong!

Cheers.

Edit: Please add me to supporter list!
That's a rockin' profile icon you have! Geno's my 2nd most wanted character not yet in the game, so I'm really hoping for him to get in too. :)

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
However, just simply being all like "ugh stop being greedy about a character" is not the way to go. You can't just force someone to go all like "Oh, sorry I'm hyped for a certain character's chances! Guess I should accept that it's just a video game!"
And I think her potential would be completely wasted as an assist trophy just like Ashley and Bomberman's were. Some characters do deserve better than the assist trophy treatment. Call me "greedy" if you want, but if random fans on the internet can see their potential and come up with custom movesets for them, I don't see why someone as creative as Sakurai can't.
Looks like you two didn't get what I was saying at all.

Being hyped about a character and being confident about her chances is perfectly fine.
Heck, I agree that she has great potential and it would be quite a waste, if she were just an Assist Trophy.

What is not fine though, is if people think that Sakurai has to give them what they want.
Heck, I have even seen people saying they will boycott WayForward and never buy anything from them ever again, if Shantae isn't a fighter after all the build-up.
Those extreme cases of entitlement is what I meant with "greed".

Speculate, be confident and get hyped all you want.
That's fne.

But if Shantae doesn't make it as a fighter after all, don't hate on Sakurai. he isn't obligated to do whatever you want.
And don't hate on WayForward, because Shantae's fate in Smash is out of their control.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I have to the worst timeline

SHe doesn't get revealed for base nor as a trophy or AT.

She gets announced as DLC...a DLC AT.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
That's a rockin' profile icon you have! Geno's my 2nd most wanted character not yet in the game, so I'm really hoping for him to get in too. :)
Thank you! Geno is my first, but we should all be united! We're not fanbases rivals, we are fighting together to get Sakurai's attention and this way we could all make it together as DLCs at least!

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Thank you! Geno is my first, but we should all be united! We're not fanbases rivals, we are fighting together to get Sakurai's attention and this way we could all make it together as DLCs at least!
It's pretty likely that Geno will get in, considering the push by Sakurai's group and you guys over the last 16 years or so? I could see Geno being a final Base reveal as being the definitive hype character. I just hope that we, as a collective, don't lose our minds when we get to the Direct, though considering our little detective work, I think it's there and everywhere else.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
It's late, so I'll post memes:

If Steve gets in Smash as a playable character, he'll look so good and totally not be an eyesore (/sarcasm). Also, if Sakurai edits him to not look like an eyesore (AKA complete re-model), many people would probably complain that "it isn't Steve" or "not accurate representation of Minecraft". Pick a poison.

No offense to anyone who genuinely supports him. I'm not using any ad hominem, just stating my opinions on the character in terms of his looks, stiff movements, lack of voice, and lack of expression (all of which I believe to be important factors in Smash--even other avatar characters currently in Smash are much better in all of these categories than Steve [including the Miis]). And that's coming from someone who actually has a soft spot for Minecraft--lots of fond memories.

That being said, I think a Minecraft stage with randomized destructible terrain and biomes and/or Creeper assist trophy would work so much better. That would even be awesome, IMO.

September was a slow month. :tired:

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

If Steve gets in Smash as a playable character, he'll look so good and totally not be an eyesore (/sarcasm). Also, if Sakurai edits him to not look like an eyesore (AKA complete re-model), many people would probably complain that "it isn't Steve" or "not accurate representation of Minecraft". Pick a poison.

No offense to anyone who genuinely supports him. I'm not using any ad hominem, just stating my opinions on the character in terms of his looks, stiff movements, lack of voice, and lack of expression (all of which I believe to be important factors in Smash--even other avatar characters currently in Smash are much better in all of these categories than Steve [including the Miis]). And that's coming from someone who actually has a soft spot for Minecraft--lots of fond memories.

That being said, I think a Minecraft stage with randomized destructible terrain and biomes and/or Creeper assist trophy would work so much better. That would even be awesome, IMO.

Sums up my thoughts as well. I wouldn't mind Steve, at least not as much as most everyone else at Smashboards are over it, but to be honest he wouldn't be my first choice, or even second or third choice. Primarily due to his art style clashing horridly with Ultimate's aesthetic as you stated.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Steve will look bad almost no matter what in Smash.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Assuming the good ending is canon, I’m kinda curious at what Risky will do next considering she likely still believes the Genie Realm was destroyed
Nothing about her dialogue implies that she believes that, though. Only that her plan was ruined, which is true whether the genie realm was destroyed or purified. Maybe in the next game she'll take a backseat to one of those "greater threats" the genies are supposedly protecting Sequin Land from...

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Nothing about her dialogue implies that she believes that, though. Only that her plan was ruined, which is true whether the genie realm was destroyed or purified. Maybe in the next game she'll take a backseat to one of those "greater threats" the genies are supposedly protecting Sequin Land from...
We might get to see what Shantae's parents look like. I wouldn't be surprised if they are based off of Mr and Mrs. Bozon themselves.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
We might get to see what Shantae's parents look like. I wouldn't be surprised if they are based off of Mr and Mrs. Bozon themselves.
Isn't it implied that the warrior in the Village of Lost Souls is Shantae's father?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Isn't it implied that the warrior in the Village of Lost Souls is Shantae's father?
Implied but not confirmed. Also why the spoiler. The game is years old by now. Everyone on here who supports Shantae have played Pirate's Curse.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's weird that Shantae seems way less interested in knowing her most likely human father than her mother. I know she already has a father figure in Uncle Mimic, but still...

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
He could also be pulling at us and when he says that he means unique fighters. Food for thought.
I am of the opinion that echoes are not considered to be "new fighters" and Sakurai is only counting unique fighters towards his "don't expect much" mentality.

I don't recall seeing any confirmed echoes being leaked or anything.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well tommorow we should hear some sort of smash news at minecon. I am guessing its just going to be a stage. A stage makes the most sense.

And if we only get a stage and no character, we can safely assume, at least for base game, there won't be a playable steve. Heck, the stage trailer may give us AT Steve where he builds stuff on the stage. seems fitting for him.

Then we can stop worrying about playable steve taking Shantae's spot :)

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Not really false since anyone who SUPPORTS the character of Shantae and WayForward in general have Pirate's Curse. With me I bought that game 3 times(3DS, WII U and Switch). Bought Half Genie Hero 4 times(Digital and Physical on WII U, bought Digital on Switch and the Ultimate Edition on Switch).

Even if you only bought a game ONCE that is enough to show support. So don't come here telling us that not all Shantae supporters don't have Pirate's Curse(especially when that game is one of the best of the series when it comes to gameplay).

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965

What is the purple fly hitler in this video?

Also, what depression? Video is relatively tame throughout.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Well tommorow we should hear some sort of smash news at minecon. I am guessing its just going to be a stage. A stage makes the most sense.

And if we only get a stage and no character, we can safely assume, at least for base game, there won't be a playable steve. Heck, the stage trailer may give us AT Steve where he builds stuff on the stage. seems fitting for him.

Then we can stop worrying about playable steve taking Shantae's spot :)
there was a tweet from a Minecraft created where they stated something along the lines of "we have a lot to share except that one thing that's can't talk about". Could be smash related. Could be Minecraft related, though.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE.
70 Days Left!!!

(sorry for the double post Dylly)

Top Bottom