• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
"Let's calm down and talk about how SANS has been leaked for Smash."

(5 short minutes later)

"Oh Hollywood you dirty son of a ***** you really believe this leak? Bugger off you troll!"

"WE'RE ALL DOOMED!"

"Hey you, I bet you were never a real Shantae Supporter were you? Yellowlord, remove him from the supporter list!"

Edit: Cue laugh track

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I feel quite bad for Minecraft actually. It's a good game.

But it was tarnished by Microsoft, and then torn to pieces by hordes of little squeaky children, until it became the butt of so many jokes.

Anyways, as much as it would suck balls, I could see Steve being announced as a fighter at Minecon, but it's very unlikely. Although, I think either a Minecraft assist trophy or stage would be pretty cool to announce there, since they aren't as big an announcement as a fighter.
Its funny since I never liked it to begin with.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
You do realize someone who bought, played and enjoyed Shantae could just as easily want her in Smash but choose to troll people online because that's just how they are right? And on the flip side, not everyone who bought and played Shantae is big enough a fan to want her in Smash. Some people who played the game might even dislike her after the fact if they didn't enjoy it.

You can be paranoid if you want I guess, but it doesn't help your case and potentially drives away people interested in becoming supporters/fans of Shantae.
Do you have evidence of this theoretical "person who buys games just to troll"? Because you do know that anyone came simply link a picture of gameplay with Shantae on it but you can't do that with a Switch interface.

That is why the burden of proof before going on said support list should require you to show that you have played said game. Oh and once again to show that I am not again just saying "do something I wouldn't do" type of thing:

So yeah I am not telling people to do something I myself would not submit myself to do to prove I am a supporter.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
That's actually quite hilarious about what they're just saying there. Because it's either "yay steve" or "ew shantae nuuuu" and the point is moot because saying that Steve is both a Microsoft and Indie rep is an oxymoronic existence.
You got to be careful with those types. I barely comment on there because that their "line of thinking".

Swade

Smash Apprentice
You got to be careful with those types. I barely comment on there because that their "line of thinking".
The only time I ever go there is help on some games or builds. Forget what else that goes on there.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah man I remember when I first started seriously coming back to the board again once Ultimate started and we only had at the time around 30 or 49 pages but wow did we come a long way huh?

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
People can support a character for whatever reason they want. If they haven’t played the games, so be it, the support is welcome.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Idea: New Shantae adds hard mode where Shantae has her hair cut Risky before gameplay starts in story, the first level or so you have no method of getting gems or attacking till getting monkey transformation.

BigMac1304

Smash Apprentice
Shantae is a little immodest for a E10+ game I don't know what any of you are talking about.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
WayForward has worked with Nintendo for 25 years. Shantae has been on Nintendo consoles for 15 years. Shantae was the mascot for indies for the DSI, Wii, and 3DS. She was on the cover of a Nintendo Power issue. She was playable in a licensed Nintendo game (Wario Ware D.I.Y.).

And people are gonna sit here and tell me that Shovel Knight, Sans, and Steve is better than Shantae!? HELLO!?

**** outta here with that nonsense. Lmao.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
People can support a character for whatever reason they want. If they haven’t played the games, so be it, the support is welcome.
They can if they want. But all I am saying that "I" won't trust them so easily especially after what happened here last time. If they want my trust they have to at least play 2 hours total of any Shantae game.
BigMac1304 BigMac1304 Jasmine from Alladin. Nuff said.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Do you have evidence of this theoretical "person who buys games just to troll"? Because you do know that anyone came simply link a picture of gameplay with Shantae on it but you can't do that with a Switch interface.

That is why the burden of proof before going on said support list should require you to show that you have played said game. Oh and once again to show that I am not again just saying "do something I wouldn't do" type of thing:

So yeah I am not telling people to do something I myself would not submit myself to do to prove I am a supporter.
My point was that you can't make sweeping generalizations about others who may want to show support just because they can't "prove" to you that they've played a Shantae game.

And no, I don't have an example of someone buying games just to troll, because for one, that's not what I said, and even if it was, the point would still stand.

Addressing your point: If they really wanted to, a troll CAN buy a Shantae game and provide their proof to you only to show their true colors later, in which case your paranoia and attempted gate keeping will have failed you.

And my point while similar was one where an actual fan decides to troll you because while they do like Shantae, they also happen to like trolling. In which case the scenario would play much in the same way and your gate keeping would still fail.

Moreover trolls don't even need to masquerade as Shantae supporters, if they're going to come trash talk us, they're going to do so anyway.

We don't need to and shouldn't require people to show "proof" of their supposed brand loyalty, because simply buying a game means nothing. Again, not everyone who bought a Shantae game is a fan, or attached enough to the character to want her in Smash.

Moving on to the Switch's interface. What about people who don't own a Switch? Are screenshots not from the Switch's interface, not proof enough under your supposed means of keeping trolls at bay?

The logic stemming from your paranoia makes no sense, and any attempts at gate keeping will not only fail to deter trolls in any way, but instead will be a detriment to Shantae supporters.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
WayForward has worked with Nintendo for 25 years. Shantae has been on Nintendo consoles for 15 years. Shantae was the mascot for indies for the DSI, Wii, and 3DS. She was on the cover of a Nintendo Power issue. She was playable in a licensed Nintendo game (Wario Ware D.I.Y.).

And people are gonna sit here and tell me that Shovel Knight, Sans, and Steve is better than Shantae!? HELLO!?

But DOT...those games SOLD better and are objectively better quality games.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Which?

I'm cautious of everyone everywhere, so I kind of agree with you, in a way,
Remember that news that was stated to "kill Shantae's chances in Ultimate"? Remember how someone posted it on Gamefaqs about our own "moment". Basically that event.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
But DOT...those games SOLD better and are objectively better quality games.
That argument is so lame. Frogger sold better than almost every 3rd party currently in Smash. All these little kids for damn sure know that they don't care about the sales.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Sakurai only sees being on a Nintendo platform a "common courtesy," while looking for "gaming history."

Now, no character is better/more deserving than another imo, but Steve still fits (admittedly Sans doesn't fit either point, except this year for the former), as well as Shantae.

honestly I'm just tired of the Steve bashing I've been seeing =(

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
They can if they want. But all I am saying that "I" won't trust them so easily especially after what happened here last time. If they want my trust they have to at least play 2 hours total of any Shantae game.
Requirements that are easily met. Again your criteria and methods for burden of proof don't do much if anything. It's both pointless and unreasonable.

And I apologize to both you and the rest of the thread for dragging this out. I just don't see the point in gate keeping like this or see how it'll do any good for anyone involved.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I don't like the way he looks and I've never played Minecraft, but I don't think we should be bringing a fandom down.
Let's be happy for others if he does get in. Let's think of ways he can improve the game or possible ways he could exist in it. What could be a potential moveset for him?
Honestly? There's a lot you can do with him even if he looks so generic. I expect lots of explosions and his moveset involving digging up items and creating things with it such as weapons and possibly those Enders and Slenders. He'd be a mix of Villager, Mr. Game & Watch, and Frank West from Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I'm going offtopic though but I'm starting to be interested in this blocky guy.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Requirements that are easily met. Again your criteria and methods for burden of proof don't do much if anything. It's both pointless and unreasonable.

And I apologize to both you and the rest of the thread for dragging this out. I just don't see the point in gate keeping like this or see how it'll do any good for anyone involved.
Oh I won't stop there. If they said they did play I will basically say something someone who did play two hours of those games would know to catch them off guard. Like say someone comes here and say "I played Pirate's Curse and loved that game, I support Shantae!!" then I come and say "I know right? Shantae's Animal transformation in that game is great to experience!!". Only someone who did play Pirate's Curse would know my sentence is BS. That is how you sniff out a troll.

After the event from over 100 pages ago I am going to be more cautious when dealing with supposed "fans/supporters" of Shantae.

Any this topic as gone long enough. We should be celebrating our 300 page milestone.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We're almost at 300 pages guys :)

Anyone can be a supporter if they want to, if they like shantae for whatever reason and would like her to be in smash :)
I just say let there be support and try not to bring others down, as much as you can, and let things be discussed before concluding that some piece or another is reason to be pessimistic or stop supporting.

(though really, why would we ever stop supporting? :p)

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Uhh I came over here to wish you guys good luck but stumbled into this

Why the heck would any fan group need to barricade themselves off from those who haven't played the games? You WANT to talk to those people and convince them to support the character / maybe even convince them to start playing them.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
We're almost at 300 pages guys :)

Anyone can be a supporter if they want to, if they like shantae for whatever reason and would like her to be in smash :)
I just say let there be support and try not to bring others down, as much as you can, and let things be discussed before concluding that some piece or another is reason to be pessimistic or stop supporting.
(though really, why would we ever stop supporting? :p)
Oh hello there Teeb...

TEEEBB!!! HEY WAI-

Oh I missed him. Fiddlesticks. Better luck next time.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Uhh I came over here to wish you guys good luck but stumbled into this

Why the heck would any fan group need to barricade themselves off from those who haven't played the games? You WANT to talk to those people and convince them to support the character / maybe even convince them to start playing them.
We are not "barricading" anyone. People can come here and basically be like you in saying good luck. The support list and calling yourself a "Shantae supporter" is a whole other issue.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I sure hope this won't be the post to put us to page 300...but what if Minecraft Steve gets in, but as a Mii Fighter costume?

Still feeling good about Shantae though!

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I sure hope this won't be the post to put us to page 300...but what if Minecraft Steve gets in, but as a Mii Fighter costume?

I feel like that'd somehow look even more jarring than Steve himself. The only way I can imagine that is as a helmet that outright replaces your Miis head with Steve's.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We are not "barricading" anyone. People can come here and basically be like you in saying good luck. The support list and calling yourself a "Shantae supporter" is a whole other issue.
I'm not sure where this opinion comes from liger, but I hope you can be more open, because I doubt others feel like you do, and I'd love for things to be as open as they can to invite new supporters, regardless of whether they use money or not :)
I wont comment more on that for now.

So.. moving on. I didn't know about the minecon, i might watch it just for fun, but im not expecting anything smash related :)
it's a cool game, so no hate :)

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239

A Mii Fighter costume makes sense. That or if Microsoft truly wants representation then who better than Banjo and Kazooie.

Top Bottom