• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
*Nintendo Direct starts up*

*Shot of Iwata standing in white room*

*He knowingly winks at the camera, and a red circle closes in around his face*

*35 minutes of echo fighter Shadow the Hedgehog gameplay*

Why do I feel like I’d be ok with that?

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Maybe not in that way... but I honestly don’t see Isaac getting in regardless. Not enough is lining up for him. (Sorry Isaac fans, btw this is just an instinct/gut feeling. Anything could happen, but I don’t think he made it)
I really don't like bringing negativity, especially because the Isaac fans have been really nice to us, but secretly I have to agree with you. I would sorta like him to get in eventually just because I don't want their waiting to be in vain, but there's just a lot of factors working against him. Coming from a dead franchise being the primary reason.

And I know that people are going to say "but K. Rool isn't relevant either" but the big difference is that K. Rool comes from one of the most iconic franchises of all time. Golden Sun was a cult hit from 17 years ago that ran out of steam before it could truly hit big and even then it was only sorta big-ish in the West. K. Rool was from a lineage of games that revolutionized graphics in the SNES era that forced every other developer to step up their game. Golden Sun was a well-received game but ultimately didn't make a big splash in the larger gaming market and was quietly passed over for other JRPGs over time, not helped by the fact that it was a GBA title and didn't carry the prestige that being a home console game carries.

For any Isaac supporters reading this I apologize if it comes across as me ****ing on your boy, I would be very happy for all of you if he finally did get in. This is just me trying to evaluate his odds as objectively as I can.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Has Sakurai retweeted the Direct yet? If he does I think there may be a dedicated Smash Bros. portion of the direct. If he doesn't I think we will just get a Single new character reveal.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
With all the circumstantial evidence we have on hand right now, her "chances" are still at a 50fighter/50assist for me, though I have little doubt to say that she's in at some capacity. Though I hope that Sakurai and Team realized that she's best suited as a fighter and not an assist trophy, I'll try not to cry like a little wuss if she's in as an assist trophy.
And yeah, I put chances in quotations because Sakurai and Team already chose their fighter roster technically, they're just finishing up on the final fighters and the final touches on the overall game by this point. Man this is gonna be a rough night, indeed...
Personally, I hope Skull Kid's a boss character, because I would feel that he would feet better as that if we're going the "purist" route of Majora's Mask Skull Kid and not the maybe-maybe not canon of Hyrule Warriors Legends. That and I don't have any good ideas for a moveset for a playable Skull Kid.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
And yeah, I put chances in quotations because Sakurai and Team already chose their fighter roster technically, they're just finishing up on the final fighters and the final touches on the overall game by this point. Man this is gonna be a rough night, indeed...

Schrödinger's roster?

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
With all the circumstantial evidence we have on hand right now, her "chances" are still at a 50fighter/50assist for me, though I have little doubt to say that she's in at some capacity. Though I hope that Sakurai and Team realized that she's best suited as a fighter and not an assist trophy, I'll try not to cry like a little wuss if she's in as an assist trophy.
Personally, I hope Skull Kid's a boss character, because I would feel that he would feet better as that if we're going the "purist" route of Majora's Mask Skull Kid and not the maybe-maybe not canon of Hyrule Warriors Legends. That and I don't have any good ideas for a moveset for a playable Skull Kid.
I highly doubt both sk and shantae are assist trophies. It doesnt sound like a sakurai thing to do. I think hed either make one an assist trophy and the other a fighter ala bomberman and Simon. Or just make sk an assist and be done with it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Rotty, I know that it may seem contrived, but you're the love of my life.
The only woman I care about, who got me through tough times.

You are supreme and sublime in every single way.
I swear to the gods above that I'll love you till the end of days.
<3

On the wait for tomorow's direct, I wish us all a good road, and if you'd like to relax or emotionally cleanse in something calm, here's a really chill mix I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiXmWc2MGRE

And(or) if you want to feel pumped and turn up some hype, here's 2 different gaming mixs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op70RruHxro&start_radio=1&list=RDOp70RruHxro (Shantae remix playlist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvo68V31nQ (chiptune)
SayMaxWell's Shantae remixes are amazing! Best of their kind I'd say.
I might listen to something more calming though, I really need to get some sleep.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Remember to make sure not to put your eggs in one basket. If she's not shown at the Direct it has zero impact on her chances.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Rotty, I know that it may seem contrived, but you're the love of my life.
The only woman I care about, who got me through tough times.

You are supreme and sublime in every single way.
I swear to the gods above that I'll love you till the end of days.
<3

SayMaxWell's Shantae remixes are amazing! Best of their kind I'd say.
I might listen to something more calming though, I really need to get some sleep.
beautiful, dylly :D
Don't hold back on shantae either, but pretty cool. :)

I love a lot of stuff about Shantae, but she aint gonna be the only one I love haha <3

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Remember to make sure not to put your eggs in one basket. If she's not shown at the Direct it has zero impact on her chances.
Besides there's still time for more announcements between now and December to unveil more smash stuff. Though after all the teasing for this direct I would prefer her sooner rather than later.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Top tier memes in this thread

That troll post

Whether you have doubts or hopes may the force be with you. This thread has had a good run.
I know things are gonna get crazy tomorrow. I'll enjoy every minute of it.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Working on some drawings of Shantae at the moment in order to kinda take my mind off waiting for the direct. Here’s one I finished recently of Shantae and Sky as kids inspired by the kid NPC designs in Half-Genie Hero:
1871FEAF-C97B-4F7C-AE0A-153AE5D58636.jpeg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Working on some drawings of Shantae at the moment in order to kinda take my mind off waiting for the direct. Here’s one I finished recently of Shantae and Sky as kids inspired by the kid NPC designs in Half-Genie Hero:
View attachment 163698
D'aww. that little Shantae is so adorable. Tho, knowing our girl she was probably a handful and a half at that age.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I'm probably gonna be a hypocrite when I add speculation here but is it just me or does the book on the top left shelf in Sakurai's room look like a comic?

https://i.imgtc.com/gBKSNFu.jpg

And wasn't Shantae at the start of HGH confirmed to read comics?

https://youtu.be/_pn0nDjRzyg?t=4m31s

"Boy oh boy! That was some crazy dream I had! No more comic books in bed from now on!"

Thoughts?
You can add it to the large pile of circumstantial evidence if you would like, but it is most likely just a another strange coincidence.

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
She was belly dancing as a child? That's weird.
The funny thing though is that belly dancing as an sensual thing exclusively for women is a misconception since most people only know the "Raqs Sharqi" style that was made to entertain rich men. Traditional Egyptian belly dance is something that is practiced by both genders and is not seen as sexual in any way. It's entirely possible that Shantae was practicing traditional style as a child and found out "Hey I can be an elephant now!"

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'm probably gonna be a hypocrite when I add speculation here but is it just me or does the book on the top left shelf in Sakurai's room look like a comic?

https://i.imgtc.com/gBKSNFu.jpg

And wasn't Shantae at the start of HGH confirmed to read comics?

https://youtu.be/_pn0nDjRzyg?t=4m31s

"Boy oh boy! That was some crazy dream I had! No more comic books in bed from now on!"

Thoughts?
I say you’ve punctured the bottom of the barrel and dug right into the floor

Teeb147

Smash Legend
15 hours until the direct guys n gals.
We're in line for the drive-in of the century. Well.. in terms of smash :)

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I say you’ve punctured the bottom of the barrel and dug right into the floor
Someone guesses a piece of metal is a gravy boat hinting at a lamp but point at a comic and I'm the crazy one. That's fine.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Prepare for the worst in case things don't go the way you want it to be.

Made by DrQuack64

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Just be open to the rest of possibilities too, it's ripe to shine one way or another.

Regardless if we see her in tomorrow or if we’ll have to wait a little while longer, tomorrow will be eventful for sure.
(Unrelated to the direct, but I can’t believe I’ve never noticed smug Holly there until now.)

Staarih

Smash Master
Woah this thread moves fast! Not that I'm complaining, I'm seriously loving the support!

I hope I'll be able to watch the Direct live, might get pretty tight with my schedule though. As for Smash, as I'm rooting for multiple characters, I'm probably gonna be excited whoever they show. But Shantae would be bomb (and she's creeping up to my #1 spot, with this being the thread I most actively follow (or try to)). Hopefully we'll see her sooner than later!

Last edited:
Dear Shantae supporters,
The direct is close! The hype is real! I'm just barging in to wish you all:

By the way i come from the Geno and Skull kid threads and i don't really know a lot about Shantae...
but i'd be happy to see more happy people so i hope she gets in!

Cheers!

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
A wholesome Shantae thread from 4chan. Thought it'd be nice to share.

Wholesome Shantae Thread

Might want to give it a read. They talk about how the games could be Improved, and artist draw some cool stuff.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Come from the Isaac thread to wish you guys luck! Love Shantae and hope like all my faves she gets in!

Rooting for you guys!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
13 hours to go guys. Can't wait to see if our favorite Half Genie gets to battle her idols in Smash.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
While I have a good feeling about today, it's not the end of the road if Shantae isn't announced today and the only Newcomer I would flat out dislike would be if they listened to the internet trolls and added Son Goku.

Top Bottom