• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
3. Most of the last couple of newcomers haven't been relevant and indicates that Sakurai MIGHT be ignoring relevance this time around. He probably doesn't care either way nowadays. I can see it going either way.
Are you positive that K. Rool isn’t currently climbing back into the spotlight as we speak?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well today Smash Bros JP just tweeted the update for the day.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Ryu is owned by Capcom...

Shantae's first game published by Capcom...

HMMMMM

Oh well, I'm sorry to hear about that.

Don't know what's up then.

Capcom helped Wayforward to put shantae on the shelf, she was created by Wayforward studios on the day of her creation

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
You know that tweet that I posted is a little odd. A palm tree with Diddy(a monkey) and Bayonetta(a supernatural being that uses hair to attack) is a bit to much of a hint. Heck it could be a hint. Nintendo is known to dropping hints in their media(whether video, background or pictures).

So yeah those three and that background is too much of a coincidence.

We should get WreckitRyan WreckitRyan to investigate this.
I'm on it, look for a new video soon ;)

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Well today Smash Bros JP just tweeted the update for the day.

The video and memory are 148 and 149, respectively, meaning there is still an abundance of skipped posts: 9 in total, with 11 counting the two suspicous skips from around the time of the Indies direct.

Edit: Source

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Just make sure you don't stress this as "evidence". Rather, it's just a funny little coincidence that doesn't really mean much.
Yeah... right... coincidence. Am I the only one who thinks there’s a bit to much of that for it to just be coincidences at this point?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Yeah... right... coincidence. Am I the only one who thinks there’s a bit to much of that for it to just be coincidences at this point?
I'd agree with you if Wario was there, solidifying the possibility that it's a reference to the Shantae Nab Microgame But since he's not, I think it is a coincidence. Jammies mode on the other hand is a different story, albeit one we already went over.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The video and memory are 148 and 149, respectively, meaning there is still an abundance of skipped posts: 9 in total, with 11 counting the two suspicous skips from around the time of the Indies direct.

Edit: Source
That's actually really cool. Is there more in-depth info on this and how to check?

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Man, to be a fly on the wall at Nintendo. Could you imagine if we found out that Shantae was supposed to be revealed there, but got pushed out because of whatever reason. Could explain why the "but wait we have one more announcement" was about a random tactical game that was releasing that day and not something with more oomph.

I'm not saying it actually happened, but... I think it'd be funny to know that we were straight up Jebaited.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Man, to be a fly on the wall at Nintendo. Could you imagine if we found out that Shantae was supposed to be revealed there, but got pushed out because of whatever reason. Could explain why the "but wait we have one more announcement" was about a random tactical game that was releasing that day and not something with more oomph.

I'm not saying it actually happened, but... I think it'd be funny to know that we were straight up Jebaited.
To feed into the conspiracy, it could have been her intro trailer and a music track.

The character trailer, memory and potential stage could have come later.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Maybe the time was not ripe. Or maybe it has nothing to do with that at all :p

I like that this is a proper nintendo direct anyway.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I would love to say that it would mean that Shantae being revealed on the Nindies Direct was "too low" for her and that she deserves to be revealed on a "proper" Nintendo Direct, but-
No, tin foil hat, get off my brain!
initiating shantae_conspiracist.exe
...All hail Shantae.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Just make sure you don't stress this as "evidence". Rather, it's just a funny little coincidence that doesn't really mean much.
I already recorded it before I evacuated, but that's basically my opening line so we're on the same wavelength, haha.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well whoever is revealed tomorrow make sure to check back during the last direct to see if the character matches the background props.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

That "one more announcement thing" they did in the Nindies Direct still bothers me to this day when that's typically only reserved for Smash Bros news.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I would love to say that it would mean that Shantae being revealed on the Nindies Direct was "too low" for her and that she deserves to be revealed on a "proper" Nintendo Direct, but-
No, tin foil hat, get off my brain!
initiating shantae_conspiracist.exe
...All hail Shantae.
Bow down to your queen, or you will be hung, and then fed to the poor! Also my mind is really dark!

wait... she's not my queen. you all know who that is

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I have to work tomorrow at 5 pm (central) right as the Direct is starting. It's going to be torture to ignore it until I get home much later in the day.

If our girl does get in, hope you guys hype responsibly!

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That "one more announcement thing" they did in the Nindies Direct still bothers me to this day when that's typically only reserved for Smash Bros news.
Really? I didn't know that. I thought that was in pretty much all the directs (I haven't watched very many directs, if you can't tell, lol). This could be a tease for her or another indie rep in Smash then

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
As cool as the idea of Shantae being revealed in an indie Direct is, I doubt it will ever happen (or was ever planned to happen). The reason that Nintendo does Directs specifically for indies is so they won't have the spotlight stolen by bigger games. Having a reveal for Smash of all things would take all of the attention from the indie games that the indie Directs are supposed to be about.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Maybe the time was not ripe. Or maybe it has nothing to do with that at all :p

I like that this is a proper nintendo direct anyway.
That might actually be possible. They have the 'why' to change their mind about not revealing her; that being "it would overshadow the actual indie titles". They could have just said "OK. We'll just save her reveal until later.", and called off the blog posts after initializing only 2 of them. On top of that, the presenter didn't discuss Into The Breach, so it could have just been intended for earlier in the direct. (Edit: While he could have discussed it, they must have scrapped his lines in editing.)

I may have been the pessimist earlier, but now the tinfoil hat's glued to my head.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Damn it is going to be tough going to sleep tonight.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
As cool as the idea of Shantae being revealed in an indie Direct is, I doubt it will ever happen (or was ever planned to happen). The reason that Nintendo does Directs specifically for indies is so they won't have the spotlight stolen by bigger games. Having a reveal for Smash of all things would take all of the attention from the indie games that the indie Directs are supposed to be about.
Assuming that she was originally planned to be revealed then, they might have switched things last minute in order not to take away from the other indie games.

I have no idea if Shantae will be showing up tomorrow or not. We'll just have to wait and see, but I am confident enough to predict that Isabelle will be the revealed echo fighter. They'll throw that in when they do a segment on Animal Crossing.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
So many pages since I last checked, it feels like this thread moves too fast sometimes
Well: Direct! I hope Shantae's in as fighter 68, but at the same time I wouldn't be mad if one of the other big threads got their pick. It'd be nice to see :)

Also looking back, it feels like every day or two, someone in this thread is all like:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So here's what we have, ranking from most reliable to least reliable (order is arguable):

WF going from living and breathing #ShantaeforSmash to near-perfect radio silence
Jammies Mode Hints
Smash Ballot Support, with her top competitor, Shovel Knight, deconfirmed.
Missing Blog Slots at Indies direct, along with reasoning why they would change their mind about showing her
Diddy/Bayo/Exeggutor Photo
Chair Theory

Anything I miss?

and also, have this fanart:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
Well, this is it the calm before the storm so to speak. Tomorrow evening will change everything for someone's fav character.

My gut feeling just wont shut up about the strong possibility that Shantae is in smash. Personally it took my head awhile to believe that she had all of these small interesting things pointing her way and dang it I just want to root for her all the way! I'm going to go along with my gut to say that I think she is the next character revealed.

However it goes down I will support any characters that get in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Assuming that she was originally planned to be revealed then, they might have switched things last minute in order not to take away from the other indie games.

I have no idea if Shantae will be showing up tomorrow or not. We'll just have to wait and see, but I am confident enough to predict that Isabelle will be the revealed echo fighter. They'll throw that in when they do a segment on Animal Crossing.
Yeah...I figured that must have been what happened with the Nindies video.

As for Isabelle, whether she's in as an Echo or not is a toss-up to me at this point. She seems a bit too "special" for her to get that position, as far as popularity and marketing goes.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Regarding echo fighters, I feel that they're gonna withhold them until a Smash-Focused direct, unless they put them in a Newcomer Reveal Trailer, like Richter. Could be wrong though, but I just don't see them doing "here are some new Echo Fighters" during a normal Direct.

Top Bottom