• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
not sure if something like this has been asked already (cause this thread is moving faster than I can possibly keep up with), but do you think Wayforward was not a part of the Nindies direct because they have something to show for this direct?

I'm mostly asking because it makes sense for a newcomer to have content in the direct to promote alongside their character reveal, and if Shantae is indeed included in the game as a playable character, it would make more sense for Wayforward to not be included in the nindies showcase, and instead wait to show content until her appointed Direct reveal.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
ShantaeFast.gif
good morning friends all aboard the direct hype train!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
English Smash Blog for today.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I feel that as long as those two suspicious posts from the Nindies direct are left unfilled, Shantae has a good chance. And considering this is the first time a reveal could realistically come after the Nindies Direct, we could be seeing it happen.

But then again, I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment and it'll be just Skull Kid, Geno or a Pokemon...

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I feel that as long as those two suspicious posts from the Nindies direct are left unfilled, Shantae has a good chance. And considering this is the first time a reveal could realistically come after the Nindies Direct, we could be seeing it happen.

But then again, I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment and it'll be just Skull Kid, Geno or a Pokemon...
Good point, but let's keep our hopes up ! Everything is possible ! Plus, one more character confirmed is one less competitor for Shantae''s ascension at least x)

D

Deleted member

Well the website data seem to be were getting a new franchise

zferolie

Smash Hero
I have good feelings today. I am 100% sure we are gonna get Dixie echo and Isabelle Echo.

Dixie because that end of the K rool trailer was just so much a hint/lead in for a dixie trailer. I am sure her trailer will start with that bit. There was no other reason why it was there. Isabelle also seems certain as this seems to be a good time to reveal her, and we know she has to be coming.

And then we end with the reveal... my gut says expect a pokemon, but I am also really pulling for Shantae. I don't think its skullkid as I still feel sakurai would make him a boss. Isaac and Geno seem too soon, and they would be later for hype. So now is shantae's time! if she doesn't appear hope is not lost though.

With the 9 missing blog posts having 1 newcomer and 2 echos makes the most sense

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Shantae does have a chance no matter what the trolls say, but we also should keep our expectations in check and not freak out if she's not shown today.

If she's not shown today it means that her chances are still the same as they were yesterday. It'll change nothing.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Shantae does have a chance no matter what the trolls say, but we also should keep our expectations in check and not freak out if she's not shown today.

If she's not shown today it means that her chances are still the same as they were yesterday. It'll change nothing.
Exactly. she has a chance till they say shes not in :)

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So... what previous newcomer hyped you guys up the most, and how would Shantae being revealed compare to their reveal?

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Let's raise our hands and share our energy with Shantae! And if she doesn't get in, well, let's hope for next reveal and also make sure to be civil. Don't give the people who hate on her excuses to be like "THE WHOLE FANDOM IS TOXIC 'CAUSE THIS ONE PERSON GOT ANNOYED! SEE! SEEE!"

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
As long as she's not shown as an assist trophy, I'm happy, because she will still have a chance at that point

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So... what previous newcomer hyped you guys up the most, and how would Shantae being revealed compare to their reveal?
Well, my most wanted for Brawl was Ike back when I was a teenager. When I saw him on the Smash site I literally slammed my head against the desk (one time, without even thinking about it; maybe I was trying to see if I was awake or not xD). It was super freaking hype for me since Ike was (and still is) my favorite video game character of all time.

Rosalina was my most wanted for Smash 4. I was working offshore at the time, on a gas and oil production platform 94 miles off the coast in the Gulf of Mexico when she was revealed. I snuck away from work to watch the stream where she was revealed. The internet was really slow so the trailer kept buffering but I was still flipping out regardless. xD

I like Shantae more than Rosalina and I would say she's probably my second favorite video game character at this point (after Ike of course). And given that she has more hoops to jump through than Ike, it's possible I might freak out more than either of my previous two most wanteds. I'm not entirely sure how I'll react but I expect it to be very energetic.

(I would flip out for Geno too. I've been waiting over 12 years for that little guy. xD)

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005

AFAIK, one of those 2 slots (#141 to be precise) was taken up by the blog post for the Summit stage from yesterday.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Ok guys take this as you will. It seems that Nintendo has renewed the copyright for Golden Sun.

Whether this means a new game or Issac is in Smash is up for debate. We will see come today's Direct.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I wouldn't read too much into Nintendo renewing trademarks for their IPs. They've also renewed it for Super Mario Sluggers and I doubt they're doing anything with that series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't trademarks have to be renewed every 10 years in Japan?

They renewed it for Wario Land and they haven't done anything with that franchise for years or announced a new Wario character.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
A wholesome Shantae thread from 4chan. Thought it'd be nice to share.

Wholesome Shantae Thread

Might want to give it a read. They talk about how the games could be Improved, and artist draw some cool stuff.
What the Hell is this Walking Contradiction doing here? <sarcasm>I thought 4chan was just monsters who hated the belly dancing half-genie!</sarcasm>
But in all seriousness, it's a welcoming change from the vitrol.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok guys take this as you will. It seems that Nintendo has renewed the copyright for Golden Sun.

Whether this means a new game or Issac is in Smash is up for debate. We will see come today's Direct.
I see this as good news. Golden sun was an excellent RPG, and I would love a chance to replay it. This also could give good hopes for Isaac, though I am still not sold on him appearing today. Isaac, Geno or Banjo and Kazooie seem like the best final announcment, with Sakurai saying they got added due to their HUGE fan support. Revealing Isaac or any of them now would be blowing the load way too early, sort of speak.

But man if we get Golden sun Remaster or rerelease on Switch, hell even on 3ds, I would buy that for sure, and I think that would solidify him appearing in smash... Though I don't think we will get that announcment today. They would want to announce Isaac for smash first I think, then announce the games, Announcing the games first ruins the Isaac surprise. Kinda like how retro wanted to put King K Rool as a secret boss in the port of tropical freeze, but sakurai shot them down as it would ruin the surprise for him in smash

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
I'm expecting one newcomer, solely based on Sakurai's Rathalos tweet, and that's Issac.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I wouldn't read too much into Nintendo renewing trademarks for their IPs. They've also renewed it for Super Mario Sluggers and I doubt they're doing anything with that series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't trademarks have to be renewed every 10 years in Japan?

They renewed it for Wario Land and they haven't done anything with that franchise for years or announced a new Wario character.
Yeah, I would say that AngrySun has a point here. It's common practice for Nintendo to renew copyrights on their IPs, even if they don't see use that much. However, I don't actually know stuff about copyright. Though I do know that Dark Dawn, the final Golden Sun game in the series thus far, released in October 28th, 2010 in Japan. That and I think the original owner has to die, then have 50 years pass before it can be eligible for their Public Domain.

I'm expecting one newcomer, solely based on Sakurai's Rathalos tweet, and that's Issac.
All I can say is don't hold your breath out for that, just like we shouldn't hold our breath out for the Alolan Exeggutor pic with Diddy Kong and Bayonetta on there as hard evidence.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Typically, this kinda **** means nothing. They renew the trademarks to keep ownership. Pretty sure they even renewed Sin and Punishment recently too, which is just as dead as Golden Sun.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Yeah, I would say that AngrySun has a point here. It's common practice for Nintendo to renew copyrights on their IPs, even if they don't see use that much. However, I don't actually know stuff about copyright. Though I do know that Dark Dawn, the final Golden Sun game in the series thus far, released in October 28th, 2010 in Japan. That and I think the original owner has to die, then have 50 years pass before it can be eligible for their Public Domain.

All I can say is don't hold your breath out for that, just like we shouldn't hold our breath out for the Alolan Exeggutor pic with Diddy Kong and Bayonetta on there as hard evidence.
https://www.jpo.go.jp/english/faqs/trademark.html

Trademarks have to be renewed every 10 years in Japan, so I think it's just a matter of Nintendo crossing Ts and dotting Is as opposed to any hints at new games and characters.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
https://www.jpo.go.jp/english/faqs/trademark.html

Trademarks have to be renewed every 10 years in Japan, so I think it's just a matter of Nintendo crossing Ts and dotting Is as opposed to any hints at new games and characters.
I have just realized how much of a dumb I am. Okay, so 2001 was when Golden Sun was released, right? So the trademark expired and until now, remained expired. But why wouldn't they renew the trademark when it released on the Wii U's Virtual Console and instead renewed it now? This may have some more basis in Smash than we both think...

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I have just realized how much of a dumb I am. Okay, so 2001 was when Golden Sun was released, right? So the trademark expired and until now, remained expired. But why wouldn't they renew the trademark when it released on the Wii U's Virtual Console and instead renewed it now? This may have some more basis in Smash than we both think...
I doubt it remained expired. They can probably renew it before the 10 years are up. I used Sin and Punishment as an example too. That game originally came out in 2000 and the sequel in 2010.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Meh, I still think the trademark renewals are something people are reading way too much into. Color me skeptical. I think it's simply routine procedure over at Nintendo's legal department.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Meh, I still think the trademark renewals are something people are reading way too much into. Color me skeptical. I think it's simply routine procedure over at Nintendo's legal department.
Agreed.
Nintendo is known for being overprotective of their IPs, regardless if they are on ice or not.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629

It's hard to prove otherwise, Sakurai's bloodshot eyes tweet was a direct reference to K. Rool and Simon (Bloody Tears), and he doesn't post much else. The Golden Sun style battle with Rathalos means something.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
A bit of optimism.

I got this idea from that one youtube video that was heavily supporting Shadow for Ultimate. It's possible that Sakurai might have seen all the votes for indie characters on the ballot and decided that he wanted to add an indie character. If this is the case, Shovel Knight would end up being the gift that keeps on giving. It could mean that, should he want to include an indie in the game from the outpouring of support, that Shantae may have actually absorbed all of Shovel Knight's votes from the ballot. And there actually is a precedent for this too.

Sakurai noted that, of all the requests for Final Fantasy characters, Cloud received about 1/4 to 1/3 of all the votes. Given the phrasing, it appears as though he was intent on representing Final Fantasy in some capacity due to its presence in the ballot. The only drawback here is that indies are multiple different games whereas Final Fantasy is one series (with a lot of clout). However, if you were to roll all the indies into a single category, it starts to gain some clout of its own as an entity. So to that I would say it entirely depends on how Sakurai sees this.

If he sees all of the support as a collective push for an indie character, Shantae might absorb all the other indie votes. If he sees them all as separate games and franchises, she'll get none of them. I think in the former's case it's helpful that there is a bit more homogeneity than is typical amongst franchises (given all of the cross-overs, indies direct and indie section). I don't know, it just seems like something to chew on.

I think we can reasonably expect that, between Shovel Knight and Shantae, they took a very noticeable chunk out of the ballot (not to mention whichever other indies were voted for). And I could see why Shovel Knight may have been shelved for this iteration (considering he only existed for a single year at the time of the ballot). Shantae, having been around a lot longer and being the, likely, next most popular indie character (or possibly even the most popular given her worldwide presence; who really knows?) would have been the most logical character to absorb all the other votes.

And then she ticks every single one of Sakurai's boxes for a newcomer in spades...

I'm just saying.

Top Bottom