• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Well. If we can't have Shovel Knight, I'm all in for Shantae. We're playing Half Genie Hero on the Let's Play channel these days and she's adorable.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Well, Cloud is basically Goku with a sword, in some ways, so it might be able to work, but unless he'd be super fun, I'd prefer not to have him in too :p

Here's something that hasn't been talked about, I think, and it'd be a new mii fighter, as a magic caster. I think that could be a cool reveal too, since mii fighters can also have costumes. I thought about putting up a support thread for something like that, but for now it's just an idea I had.
So, does that mean that every single J-RPG protagonist from the PS1 era is also Goku?

A new mii fighter class would be very interesting, and it would certainly be a magic user. What other mii fighter classes could they do? Although it is completely and utterly impossible because of Nintendo, I was thinking of one which uses guns and such. Maybe they could use something more akin to Fox's blasters instead?

Also, am I the only living, breathing human on this planet that thinks that Custom Robo would be a cool fighter? Just wondering.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
So, does that mean that every single J-RPG protagonist from the PS1 era is also Goku?

A new mii fighter class would be very interesting, and it would certainly be a magic user. What other mii fighter classes could they do? Although it is completely and utterly impossible because of Nintendo, I was thinking of one which uses guns and such. Maybe they could use something more akin to Fox's blasters instead?

Also, am I the only living, breathing human on this planet that thinks that Custom Robo would be a cool fighter? Just wondering.
Eh, the closest JRPG Goku Clone that could be pretty recognizable would be Crono, because he was designed by the same guy who made Dragon Ball. :p Though I don't know his overall popularity, I know that he's possibly lesser than Geno and Sora in terms of Square popularity.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I mean, since Advent Children and Dissidia, Cloud is a crazy powerful character that can fly and attack lightning fast & more.
I like a lot of rpgs tho.

Uhh, a mii gunner besides mii gunner?

Custom Robo would work if it had customs too. But if they do that, I want customs back on palutena too :)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I mean, since Advent Children and Dissidia, Cloud is a crazy powerful character that can fly and attack lightning fast & more.
I like a lot of rpgs tho.

Uhh, a mii gunner besides mii gunner?

Custom Robo would work if it had customs too. But if they do that, I want customs back on palutena too :)
I am super dumb. I forgot mii gunner existed, because I literally never use the mii fighters.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I am super dumb. I forgot mii gunner existed, because I literally never use the mii fighters.
Hey congrats you magically got a fighter you wanted ;)

They'll actualy be viable in smash 5, since we'll be able to play them online, and the moves will probably be balanced this time around.
I think it's cool cuz it counts as 3 fighters right there. And I'll probably get the mii character costumes that I like this time.

Crono would be a great character that lots of people love, it's just not expected. I'd want him in if Marle or/& Ayla can get in too :)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hey congrats you magically got a fighter you wanted ;)

They'll actualy be viable in smash 5, since we'll be able to play them online, and the moves will probably be balanced this time around.
I think it's cool cuz it counts as 3 fighters right there. And I'll probably get the mii character costumes that I like this time.

Crono would be a great character that lots of people love, it's just not expected. I'd want him in if Marle or/& Ayla can get in too :)
I could see Crono being a really good assist trophy, but unfortunately not a playable character. I really want a Sephiroth assist, but that's just because I love FF 7.

The only viable Square Enix characters I can see are Geno, Sora and heck, even Lara Croft.

this is very off-topic wow

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I could see Crono being a really good assist trophy, but unfortunately not a playable character. I really want a Sephiroth assist, but that's just because I love FF 7.

The only viable Square Enix characters I can see are Geno, Sora and heck, even Lara Croft.

this is very off-topic wow
It's not the most off-topic we've been. And I'm holding out for Terra, which is a popular FF character. I like a Lot of SE characters tho. the more the merrier.

Shantae's cool too, I like platformers that're like that.
(see not so off-topic... :p)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
It's not the most off-topic we've been. And I'm holding out for Terra, which is a popular FF character. I like a Lot of SE characters tho. the more the merrier.

Shantae's cool too, I like platformers that're like that.
(see not so off-topic... :p)
The only problem with Shantae making it in that I can see, is that if there is a sudden surge in her popularity, than the GBC game will get even more expensive, and that's the only one I need to have a complete physical collection of Shantae games. I've been saving up for it for ages.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The only problem with Shantae making it in that I can see, is that if there is a sudden surge in her popularity, than the GBC game will get even more expensive, and that's the only one I need to have a complete physical collection of Shantae games. I've been saving up for it for ages.
I'll just play it on virtual consoles and all that.
Now would be the time to get it. Where do you live, the UK?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I'll just play it on virtual consoles and all that.
Now would be the time to get it. Where do you live, the UK?
Yes I do live in the UK, so I would have to get it off Ebay for about £600. None of the retro game stores have it, and I've been to all of them. It was only released in the US if my memory serves me correctly. At least I have my complete Zelda collection I guess...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes I do live in the UK, so I would have to get it off Ebay for about £600. None of the retro game stores have it, and I've been to all of them. It was only released in the US if my memory serves me correctly. At least I have my complete Zelda collection...
Yeah. I don't know much about different version or whatever, but ebay does have some that aren't overly expensive. The factory sealed ones are way too high tho haha.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...ae+gameboy.TRS0&_nkw=shantae+gameboy&_sacat=0

I'm not really a collector anymore, so I don't mind playhing digital versions. Guess it depends on the game tho, and I wouldn't mind the gbc version too.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Alright, so I'm going to go on a limb and post my predictions/hopes for the Direct this evening.

Intro with Smash character trailer

3DS

Luigi's Mansion with bonus content
Bowser's Inside Story remake
Link's Awakening remake
Wario Land VB remake
Golden Sun remaster
Original title

Switch

Mega Man 11
Civilization XI
Final Fantasy Pocket Edition
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles remake

Showcase of the online service

Splatoon 2 update
Animal Crossing Switch
By the way, Isabelle is an echo fighter in Smash Bros Ultimate
Pokemon Let's Go
Super Mario Party
Super Mario Maker 2 (or enhanced port)
Super Mario Bros U port
Mario Kart 8 DLC
Yoshi's Crafted World
Fire Emblem Three Houses
One or two surprise announcements

Smash Bros character reveal trailer

Perhaps it's a little ambitious, but I do think some of those have a very good chance of happening. I know for sure we'll get at least one new Smash fighter announced and one echo.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Man, I'm now just getting all sorts of bad vibes right now...
And it came from BillyBo10K's predictions at the end with the Smash Bros fighters. No, it's not because Shantae's not mentioned, but his small pool of those he'd think we would get in this Direct. No knock against any one characters here, because his choices are absolutely legitimate, but I feel that his "Pokemon gets special treatment" schtick is just not that solid a theory, even if it had worked this far in Smash Bros. As for the others, it's just up to Sakurai seeing something in them that screams "I'm a fighter!" beforehand.
Truthfully though, I just think BillyBo10k is being a bit too much like "Oh smite me, Almighty Smiter God!" in his latest prediction video and has a bit too narrow prediction field for who could be in the upcoming update. Says the boy who keeps on wanting Shantae. XD I accept that we'll just get one newcomer and maybe one echo this time around, that's no problem for me.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
You'll have to be very careful whenever you do try to buy the original game as there are (obviously) a lot of fakes out there. I'm not sure how you would go about ascertaining their authenticity, but due diligence is paramount regardless.

Edit: This thread is too fast. =P

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You'll have to be very careful whenever you do try to buy the original game as there are (obviously) a lot of fakes out there. I'm not sure how you would go about ascertaining their authenticity, but due diligence is paramount regardless.

I saw ones in grey cartridge, and others in red, I'm not sure if that means a difference. There's one from china that are really cheap, so I wonder if they're fakes or not.

Man, I'm now just getting all sorts of bad vibes right now...
And it came from BillyBo10K's predictions at the end with the Smash Bros fighters. No, it's not because Shantae's not mentioned, but his small pool of those he'd think we would get in this Direct. No knock against any one characters here, because his choices are absolutely legitimate, but I feel that his "Pokemon gets special treatment" schtick is just not that solid a theory, even if it had worked this far in Smash Bros. As for the others, it's just up to Sakurai seeing something in them that screams "I'm a fighter!" beforehand.
Truthfully though, I just think BillyBo10k is being a bit too much like "Oh smite me, Almighty Smiter God!" in his latest prediction video and has a bit too narrow prediction field for who could be in the upcoming update. Says the boy who keeps on wanting Shantae. XD I accept that we'll just get one newcomer and maybe one echo this time around, that's no problem for me.
Different people have different ideas. They're just fans too, and don't truly know. Tonight is great because we get to see predictions break and what not. Looking forward to seeing what actually comes :)

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

It is XD
But yeah, one of the "legal" ways to get a Shantae cart in this day and age is to find someone who makes reproduction cartridges and get the game that way, if the game in question's not in the eShop in Europe. I'd like to see it's sort of like if you wanted to get NWC for your NES, but you don't want to buy the Grey or the Gold versions of them.

I think it's safe to say that I'm the biggest Negative Nancy of us all at this point. XP Again, I'll try to temper my expectations and keep my negativity to a minimum.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Yeah. I don't know much about different version or whatever, but ebay does have some that aren't overly expensive. The factory sealed ones are way too high tho haha.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...ae+gameboy.TRS0&_nkw=shantae+gameboy&_sacat=0

I'm not really a collector anymore, so I don't mind playhing digital versions. Guess it depends on the game tho, and I wouldn't mind the gbc version too.
That aren't overly expensive? The cheapest one there is almost £400 ($500)! All the cheap ones are bootlegs/reproductions.

If I do happen to conjure up that amount of money, I'll still have to wait for a CIB copy to appear which isn't sealed, which nobody has listed at the moment for some reason. Eh, I'll get it some day.

I have bought the game off the 3DS eShop and completed it, but I am a very picky person, who wants everything physically.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That aren't overly expensive? The cheapest one there is almost £400 ($500)! All the cheap ones are bootlegs/reproductions.

If I do happen to conjure up that amount of money, I'll still have to wait for a CIB copy to appear which isn't sealed, which nobody has listed at the moment for some reason. Eh, I'll get it some day.

I have bought the game off the 3DS eShop and completed it, but I am a very picky person, who wants everything physically.
For that amount of money, I would just buy tons of shantae merchandise :p
Def getting some more amiibos this time around.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of amiibos, the Nintendo UK store brought in more stock... and Bayonetta sold out in less than 15 minutes.

There isn't some guy trying to buy all the Bayonettas to try and create a summoning gate to bring her to reality is there?

(Looking for Shantae amiibo is gonna be a nightmare...)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I didn't know about the Kickstarter campaign for HGH when it was up, and I really regret now knowing. If I would buy any Shantae merch, it would be the physical rewards people got for supporting it. I once found the shirt up for sale for £400, so I don't know if I'll ever be able to get any of the other rewards if they're that expensive.

The most expensive thing I ever bought was the Twilight Princess Preview Trailer with it's sleeve for £600. I have been broke ever since.

If the Shantae amiibo ends up being expensive, I'll pay for it no matter what. I'll sell my soul to the devil if I have to.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Guybrush20X6 said:
Speaking of amiibos, the Nintendo UK store brought in more stock... and Bayonetta sold out in less than 15 minutes.

There isn't some guy trying to buy all the Bayonettas to try and create a summoning gate to bring her to reality is there?

(Looking for Shantae amiibo is gonna be a nightmare...)
Welp, just like Rosalina, I'll shell out for the Shantae (and Geno) amiibo regardless.~

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not worried about the amiibo. I doubt there's so many people in the region that'll get it before I do :p

I'm surprised bayonetta amiibos would be getting sold out, but maybe allure has a part in it, so yeah maybe, I'll still get one one way or another, but I don't think it'll be too much a problem, my gut says..

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I would advise people not to buy games or amiibo from scalpers. Giving them profit only encourages their scummy behavior.

Speaking of amiibo, I would totally buy a Shantae amiibo if she's a fighter. As of now, the only one I'm going to buy will be K Rool.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I would advise people not to buy games or amiibo from scalpers. Giving them profit only encourages their scummy behavior.

Speaking of amiibo, I would totally buy a Shantae amiibo if she's a fighter. As of now, the only one I'm going to buy will be K Rool.
well the only way to buy old games are from scalpers/resellers now...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok, well I'm off. Have fun and see you tonight (or in a few hours) before the direct :)

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The hours are ticking down to the Nintendo Direct. These next few hours will be intense.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
The hours are ticking down to the Nintendo Direct. These next few hours will be intense.
Intense af. It's all a matter of hoping I'm not too busy at 6 so I can actually watch the stream at work. I don't wanna deal with people while I'm all riled up on hype T_T

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I figured I'd pop in here and wish you guys luck for the direct, so....good luck!

I've only played one Shantae game, I think it was the one on the DS eShop. I never finished it but I liked it well enough. I think Shantae is a pretty cool character.

Top Bottom