• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
After so many unexpected characters you would think the conversation'd be opened up a lot more :p
So true. It surprises me to still see so many people not entertain the idea that a playable Indie character could happen despite getting Spirits, an Assist Trophy, and multiple Mii Fighter costumes as representation for the genre thus far. A fully playable Indie character seems like the next logical step, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they're building up to.

Unless of course you're in the camp that considers Steve to have already filled that quota...

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I’m fine with that. I’ve always preferred just talking about characters people think are cool and how they’d work in smash than just speculation.

Speculation always boils down to the same 4-5 characters everyone thinks are going to get in for one reason or another and regurgitates the same 3-4 points over and over usually about sales figures or “how deserving” the character is, and rarely ever actually pans out as expected because Sakurai doesn’t just take the 5 most expected choices and call it a day.

I miss the smash ballot days when you could talk about whatever character you wanted and how you’d want them to play without vultures jumping in to say “but they aren’t as likely as THIS character!” Discussion will always be cooler than speculation.
Same.
Speculation has proven to be petty, unproductive and nothing more than pointless bickering.

How people can still be so defensive of it, after all this history behind it, is beyond me.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So true. It surprises me to still see so many people not entertain the idea that a playable Indie character could happen despite getting Spirits, an Assist Trophy, and multiple Mii Fighter costumes as representation for the genre thus far. A fully playable Indie character seems like the next logical step, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they're building up to.

Unless of course you're in the camp that considers Steve to have already filled that quota...
Most non Shantae fans: If Shovel Knight and Sans can't make it in than no Indie can!

This way of thinking annoys me especially since Shantae has seniority over those 2.

Never forget about this. Reggie clarified this in front of the audiences and other gaming creators: https://mobile.twitter.com/playcenterwd/status/1352632410190577672
That was a beautiful speech from the Regginator. :sadeyes:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
So the Art of the Day, is an Instragram Login Post? o_O
No lol. I tried to post the full picture of my art but somehow it keeps on saying problem occurs so I just send link to my art on Instagram instead if that’s ok. If anyone got Instagram, check out Shantae X Friday Night Funkin’ art in the link.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm about an hour and a half into Shantae: Risky's Revenge - I figured I'd give that a try, since it would give me a better idea of what Shantae can normally do than Pirate's Curse.

I'm enjoying it so far (I beat the Squid Baron and got enough Magic Jams to speed up Shantae's hair whip, upgrade the spinning ball attack, and make it so my magic automatically recharges), though I wish the map was more useful - as far as I can tell, there's no map within the dungeons, making it hard to tell where I have or haven't been.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm about an hour and a half into Shantae: Risky's Revenge - I figured I'd give that a try, since it would give me a better idea of what Shantae can normally do than Pirate's Curse.

I'm enjoying it so far (I beat the Squid Baron and got enough Magic Jams to speed up Shantae's hair whip, upgrade the spinning ball attack, and make it so my magic automatically recharges), though I wish the map was more useful - as far as I can tell, there's no map within the dungeons, making it hard to tell where I have or haven't been.
Yeah, you can get easily lost within dungeons and the map doesn't help much when trying to find ammo baron's tower for the first time. You do need a guide from internet if you want to have a accurate map.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Risky's Revenge is an alright game, but it's biggest flaw is its short length, especially compared to the game prior to it and all the others after

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Risky's Revenge is an alright game, but it's biggest flaw is its short length, especially compared to the game prior to it and all the others after
That's fine with me - I'm not sure how long the other Shantae games are, but I'm in the mood for something on the shorter side.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, again, it was originally a DSIWare game.
They originally considered episodic games to tell the full story, due to the ridiculously low size cap of DSiWare games.
Fortunately, WayForward managed a massive resurgence and could make full length games again.
So there was no longer any need for an episodic game format.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I beat Risky's Revenge - it took me four and a half hours, roughly, which was less than I was expecting. (I watched a GDQ speedrun where they said a casual playthrough would take about 8 - I did use a guide for finding some items, but I managed to find all of them!) I enjoyed it, and I can clearly picture at least part of a Shantae moveset for Smash now. (not sure what her recovery would be, but I think she gets a harpy transformation at some point?)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Along with it's length, I think Risky's Revenge is the weakest title in the series thus far. I've played all the Shantae games excluding the original, and I would say Risky's Revenge is the weakest Shantae game. Not to say it's bad, but the other titles just beat it in so many categories.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I beat Risky's Revenge - it took me four and a half hours, roughly, which was less than I was expecting. (I watched a GDQ speedrun where they said a casual playthrough would take about 8 - I did use a guide for finding some items, but I managed to find all of them!) I enjoyed it, and I can clearly picture at least part of a Shantae moveset for Smash now. (not sure what her recovery would be, but I think she gets a harpy transformation at some point?)
Yeah, the harpy transformation was introduced in the original game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Pretty much Shantae's air movement options, in order of effectiveness are Harpy > Cannon > Octopus. Since the cannon is more Risky's thing, I see Shantae using Octo jumps for her up special normally, but after activating the Harpy dance, replaces that with the more effective harpy flight while also getting some normal extra jumps temporarily.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The octo jet can give shantae two extra jumps if Sakurai does count her instantaneous transformations. But that might also put the dev team needing more time to implement selecting forms and instantaneous forms.

I could think about how she might work with her magic and forms. It just makes my mind melt at times after a while.
Screenshot_20210122-103407_YouTube.jpg

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much Shantae's air movement options, in order of effectiveness are Harpy > Cannon > Octopus. Since the cannon is more Risky's thing, I see Shantae using Octo jumps for her up special normally, but after activating the Harpy dance, replaces that with the more effective harpy flight while also getting some normal extra jumps temporarily.
People always forget the Float Muffin...

Granted, it's not as intrinsic as the transformations or even the pirate gear.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Along with it's length, I think Risky's Revenge is the weakest title in the series thus far. I've played all the Shantae games excluding the original, and I would say Risky's Revenge is the weakest Shantae game. Not to say it's bad, but the other titles just beat it in so many categories.
It seems you completely missed my post.

Once again, it was impossible for them to do more with Risky's Revenge as a single game.
Because it was a DSiWare game and they had a stupidly low size cap.
So what you got with Risky's Revenge is the best they could do with it at the time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It seems you completely missed my post.

Once again, it was impossible for them to do more with Risky's Revenge as a single game.
Because it was a DSiWare game and they had a stupidly low size cap.
So what you got with Risky's Revenge is the best they could do with it at the time.
What does any of that have to do with one person's subjective opinion?

If you were to try and argue the original Metroids 1 and 2 are comparable to Super just by the relative factor of the weaker hardware they were on, you'd be laughed out of pretty much any forum.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Ryu Hayabusa has been endorsed for Smash by his creator. Nothing really noteworthy here: https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/ninja-gaiden-director-wants-ryu-in-super-smash-bros/
And before anyone starts to throw around statements about NDAs or if this confirms or deconfirms him... Tomonobu Itagaki hasn’t worked for Koei Tecmo or Team Ninja for over 12 years.

I’m not a huge fan of Ryu Hayabusa for Smash but I’ve seen a lot of folks on twitter saying this deconfirms him due to someone speaking out of what they believe NDAs cover. Not only would this statement be NDA compliant, it comes from someone who wouldn’t be under NDA for literally any reason.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
And before anyone starts to throw around statements about NDAs or if this confirms or deconfirms him... Tomonobu Itagaki hasn’t worked for Koei Tecmo or Team Ninja for over 12 years.

I’m not a huge fan of Ryu Hayabusa for Smash but I’ve seen a lot of folks on twitter saying this deconfirms him due to someone speaking out of what they believe NDAs cover. Not only would this statement be NDA compliant, it comes from someone who wouldn’t be under NDA for literally any reason.
Yeah.

I really wonder when people will finally learn to just wait and see what happens.
It's the much wiser course of action to take, not to mention healthier, considering how much people love to beat each other up over this.
Sometimes even here, sadly.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Hello! I'm new to this thread, and I've recently played both "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse" and "Shantae: Risky's Revenge" (and are planning on playing both Half-Genie Hero and Seven Sirens in the near future), and while I liked the latter game (despite some noticeable flaws such as the dungeons not having any maps, or some of the backtracking/fetch-quests), I freaking loved Pirate's Curse; the gameplay was really fun, the writing and characters were pretty funny, and I loved the dynamic between Shantae and Risky, and how it gave Risky a bit more depth than in Risky's Revenge. And after playing both these games, I'd be really happy if Shantae were to get into Smash!

So, out of curiosity, what are your guys' opinions on Half-Genie Hero and Seven Sirens? Also, whatever happened to the original Shantae game? Because I'd read somewhere that they were planning on releasing it on the Switch back in September, but it's not there now.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hello! I'm new to this thread, and I've recently played both "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse" and "Shantae: Risky's Revenge" (and are planning on playing both Half-Genie Hero and Seven Sirens in the near future), and while I liked the latter game (despite some noticeable flaws such as the dungeons not having any maps, or some of the backtracking/fetch-quests), I freaking loved Pirate's Curse; the gameplay was really fun, the writing and characters were pretty funny, and I loved the dynamic between Shantae and Risky, and how it gave Risky a bit more depth than in Risky's Revenge. And after playing both these games, I'd be really happy if Shantae were to get into Smash!

So, out of curiosity, what are your guys' opinions on Half-Genie Hero and Seven Sirens? Also, whatever happened to the original Shantae game? Because I'd read somewhere that they were planning on releasing it on the Switch back in September, but it's not there now.
Good to see new support!

The original Shantae has merely been ANNOUNCED for Switch it has yet to get a release date.

HGH is more platformer, linear level design, kinda like Megaman? Seven Sirens is more metrodivania and explorative, I like both and very much want to see more expansive maps in future titles. as Seven Sirens was abit more wide than tall for some rooms.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have a feeling that maybe Ryu Hayabusa may be out of the running thanks to the new information about his creator's status and where he stands.

Now, it's not a full deconfirm, but a set aside while still having eyes on it.
Screenshot_20201010-112351_YouTube.jpg

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling that maybe Ryu Hayabusa may be out of the running thanks to the new information about his creator's status and where he stands.

Now, it's not a full deconfirm, but a set aside while still having eyes on it.
Again, his creator hasn’t even worked with the same company that makes Ninja Gaiden for 12 years. Remember when K Rool’s designer said he was surprised that K Rool got in because he’d heard nothing about it? It’s because he didn’t work with any of the companies involved with the decision anymore. It means nothing.

Welcome aboard!

Pirates Curse definitely has the ‘fan favorite’ award usually. Half Genie Hero plays a bit like more complex versions of the overworld stages of PC, while omitting the dungeons in favor of a more streamlined platformer experience and bringing back the classic Transformation Dance mechanic. Seven Sirens plays more like a fusion of Risky’s Revenge and Pirate’s Curse, with the former’s interconnected world albeit MUCH larger, and the latter’s faster use movement skills and dungeons. And if you loved the writing and characters both of them will definitely stick with you, especially HGH’s side modes in the definitive edition, as each one condenses the game into a different platforming challenge ehile also giving all new goofy writing. Both are definitely worth checking out for sure!

As for the original... well, it was announced for Switch, but for whatever reason it’s the only Shantae game that hasn’t made it on yet. Which doesn’t make any sense tech-wise, so people are wondering if it’s being delayed to coincide with some other announcement... or it’s just delayed for whatever reason.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Our "cousin" in Monster World has a new spiffy trailer:

Notice the release date is Q2/2021. Meaning we don't know what month the game is coming.

Edit: found out that Q2 means between April and June. So, prepare to play Asha's story either late spring or early June

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Welcome to the thread man! My opinion on Half-Genie Hero? Well, I think it has the best music in the entire series and it's definitely one of the best Shantae games right up there with Pirate's Curse and Seven Sirens.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

My experience with Half-Genie Hero in it's initial release was an interesting one... Playing through the main game didn't leave much of an impression, which I attribute to it being an awkward mix of metroidvania and level-based progression making backtracking for item hunts even more tedious. Only when I came back after a couple of years to purchase the costume and Friends DLC did I appreciate the levels and bosses more (and in one particular case, showed me how much fun another series really was faster than you could say "weird crossover"). It was the most experimental of the games in gameplay, to be sure. Story, not so much; if you liked Risky's development in the previous entry, you may be sad to hear it's mostly ignored here. In fact absolutely nothing of consequence happens plot-wise.

That being said, it is the last you'll see of the old, non-core cast like most of the Barons for a while, because Seven Sirens focuses more on fresh faces like other half-genies and the titular sirens. While this game does not severely upend the status quo either, it does open multiple avenues in the future. The gameplay is more standard, but still solid. Others may call it too easy, but that is actually just Wayforward's policy of giving enough resources so that anyone can make it through. Although I will admit to not caring as much for the Zelda-like boss design of relying on a given dungeon's "item" for openings; Half-Genie Hero's bosses are still the best in the series for me because of not doing that.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And while I can wait for Shantae's Smash inclusion until Smash 6 or 7, I would prefer if she made it into Ultimate since she was one of the most requested characters in the Smash Ballot and her getting in would boost the popularity and awareness of the Shantae franchise and make our girl a celebrity. It would also be juicy as hell to drink the tears of all the Shantae haters and detractors who said she couldn't make it in calling us hentai lovers and saying other Indie characters would get in before her. I would certainly go aroumd and say "I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO!" I would tell them I was right about Shantae's seniority over other Indies, her 5 games, and moveset potential all weighed in as factors as to why she made it in.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've written up a moveset for Shantae for the game Fraymakers - I assume that it would be pretty similar to Smash, but there were some things that I wasn't sure about. (mainly throws and a Final Smash (or, in that game, Super Move) - I skimmed through the final bosses of the series, and I couldn't find any kind of super transformation from those that would work, so I just made one up)

Top Bottom