• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
And while I can wait for Shantae's Smash inclusion until Smash 6 or 7, I would prefer if she made it into Ultimate since she was one of the most requested characters in the Smash Ballot and her getting in would boost the popularity and awareness of the Shantae franchise and make our girl a celebrity. It would also be juicy as hell to drink the tears of all the Shantae haters and detractors who said she couldn't make it in calling us hentai lovers and saying other Indie characters would get in before her. I would certainly go aroumd and say "I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO!" I would tell them I was right about Shantae's seniority over other Indies, her 5 games, and moveset potential all weighed in as factors as to why she made it in.
Also we want her in Ultimate as let's be honest the next game after is VERY likely to have cuts...I want Shantae to be able fight EVERYONE in Smash.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And while I can wait for Shantae's Smash inclusion until Smash 6 or 7, I would prefer if she made it into Ultimate since she was one of the most requested characters in the Smash Ballot and her getting in would boost the popularity and awareness of the Shantae franchise and make our girl a celebrity. It would also be juicy as hell to drink the tears of all the Shantae haters and detractors who said she couldn't make it in calling us hentai lovers and saying other Indie characters would get in before her. I would certainly go aroumd and say "I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO!" I would tell them I was right about Shantae's seniority over other Indies, her 5 games, and moveset potential all weighed in as factors as to why she made it in.
And I would lose all respect for you.

I've written up a moveset for Shantae for the game Fraymakers - I assume that it would be pretty similar to Smash, but there were some things that I wasn't sure about. (mainly throws and a Final Smash (or, in that game, Super Move) - I skimmed through the final bosses of the series, and I couldn't find any kind of super transformation from those that would work, so I just made one up)
You can either have Shantae use standard physical throws in human form or use the classic (small) spider form. In either case, I would suggest having the Half-Genie Hero version of spider as an enhanced set of throws activated with the requisite dance. Poison spit with gradual damage forward, body slam downwards, Bonelegs slash upwards and webbing ragdolling backwards. All that initiated from a web tether. I choose to make Spider a grappler to reflect both of it's appearances involving clinging to things.

As for the super... there is an understated, but consistent theme throughout all games that Shantae would never succeed if not for the help of those she befriends, and as Friends to the End in Half-Genie Hero puts succintly, there is nothing she can't surmount without support. That's why a team beatdown of Sky, Bolo and Rottytops at minimum feels like the best fit, perhaps initiated by suction from the Genie Lamp akin to Luigi's Poltergust.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I’d like to say, as nice as it will be to drink in salty fans tears... the best thing to do is really just to enjoy the victory, not to rub it in. Enjoy the sight of idiots who meltdown over video games, but focus on being happy that Shantae is in, not being happy because people are mad. Be the better fanbase.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Screenshot_20210126-223333.png

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And I would lose all respect for you.
I’d like to say, as nice as it will be to drink in salty fans tears... the best thing to do is really just to enjoy the victory, not to rub it in. Enjoy the sight of idiots who meltdown over video games, but focus on being happy that Shantae is in, not being happy because people are mad. Be the better fanbase.
I wouldn't rub Shantae's inclusion in on everybody, but just the detractors and trolls who make the stupidest claims about our girl and why she shouldn't be in. I've seen people disrespect our girl big time and her getting in would be her finally getting the respect she deserves.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I wouldn't rub Shantae's inclusion in on everybody, but just the detractors and trolls who make the stupidest claims about our girl and why she shouldn't be in. I've seen people disrespect our girl big time and her getting in would be her finally getting the respect she deserves.
I think the best reaction is to ignore them and whoop some a*s online with her, just enjoying her inclusion. ^^

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While I was roaming the internet. I found this for Shantae made by someone of her potential moveset, music stage, alt colors and costumes, and mii costumes.
I'm sorry I can't give proper credit to the person that made this.
View attachment 300772
Great Spirit Board. Except, I would add Uncle Mimic as well with Dr. Mario being his fighter.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
While I was roaming the internet. I found this for Shantae made by someone of her potential moveset, music stage, alt colors and costumes, and mii costumes.
View attachment 300772
The spirit board, mii fighters, music (barring the omission of Rave in the Grave and Run Run Rottytops), and costumes are pretty great, though I take issue with the Moveset. All in all nice mock-up! Might try my hand at one of these sometime, they always seem fun and the expanded content on the right allows for even more creativity.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The spirit board, mii fighters, music (barring the omission of Rave in the Grave and Run Run Rottytops), and costumes are pretty great, though I take issue with the Moveset. All in all nice mock-up! Might try my hand at one of these sometime, they always seem fun and the expanded content on the right allows for even more creativity.
Though, the difficulty is how Shantae's moveset is solid to most as a nod to her history of adventures. She has much to pull from.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 300772
Nice find. I think for mii costumes though, the focus should branch out to Indies that didn't make it in. Touhou, cave story, etc. They've never done that many for a single franchise in one release.

Great Spirit Board. Except, I would add Uncle Mimic as well with Dr. Mario being his fighter.
I think combining the transformations would be better and allow more opportunity. Drop crab and combine the rest into one battle. Then you can add more iconic ones and other Wayforward properties (MSF and even VC)

Dukefire

Smash Master
As a reminder (or refresh), the only mii costumes that hasn't returned yet are Lloyd and Monster Hunter armor from Monster Hunter World.

So we got only one or two more clues left with MIA costumes not present yet.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As a reminder (or refresh), the only mii costumes that hasn't returned yet are Lloyd and Monster Hunter armor from Monster Hunter World.

Actually it's Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos. But yeah, we only got 3 Smash 4 Mii costumes MIA left to return. I'm predicting 2 of the remaining 3 Fighter's Pass 2 newcomers are a Namco rep and a Capcom rep.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Actually it's Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos. But yeah, we only got 3 Smash 4 Mii costumes MIA left to return. I'm predicting 2 of the remaining 3 Fighter's Pass 2 newcomers are a Namco rep and a Capcom rep.
KOS-MOS, Phoenix Wright, and Shantae?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
KOS-MOS, Phoenix Wright, and Shantae?
I'm predicting Lloyd, Chun-Li, and Elma. Would honestly prefer KOS-MOS over Lloyd, but I think Lloyd is going to get in. I've been predicting Lloyd since base game and he's still alive after all this time. I think he will be chosen.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, that all depends if his mii costume from Smash 4 returns. If it does returns, then he ends up the same fate like Geno.
Screenshot_20210125-123729_Video Player.jpg

So if a capcom rep appears, then possibly both the Monster Hunter and Rathalos mii costume returns. Marking that a Monster Hunter rep is not coming or is the next challenger and brought costumes new and old.

For Namco, anything goes. I can guess at least 3 characters on my perspective.
1. Lloyd
2. Rex and Pyra/Mythra
3. Ryu Hayabusa

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Keep in mind that the Monster Hunter Mii Fighter costumes are just armor sets from the games themselves, and not actual characters. They'll return regardless of whether Capcom gets a rep or not. Only Lloyd's costume is up for debate at this point as he's the only viable contender left for a playable character upgrade.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

Keep in mind though that the returning costumes not yet in the game do NOT necessarily mean the remaining characters are from Capcom or Namco.

We got Heihachi (Namco) with Min Min, Proto Man and Zero (Capcom) with Banjo, the Virtua Fighter Miis (Sega) with Terry, Gil (Namco) came with Steve, and Megaman X and EXE (Capcom) came with Byleth.

The only correlating costumes were the Tails and Knuckles Miis coming with Joker, via Sega, and Geno and the Chocobo hat coming back with Sephiroth via Square.

Ergo, don’t let it influence your thoughts on the DLC at all.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Keep in mind though that the returning costumes not yet in the game do NOT necessarily mean the remaining characters are from Capcom or Namco.

We got Heihachi (Namco) with Min Min, Proto Man and Zero (Capcom) with Banjo, the Virtua Fighter Miis (Sega) with Terry, Gil (Namco) came with Steve, and Megaman X and EXE (Capcom) came with Byleth.

The only correlating costumes were the Tails and Knuckles Miis coming with Joker, via Sega, and Geno and the Chocobo hat coming back with Sephiroth via Square.

Ergo, don’t let it influence your thoughts on the DLC at all.
I know the Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos Mii costumes could potentially come back without a Namco rep and Capcom rep. But they could though since Geno and Chocobo didn't come back until Sephiroth's pack instead of Hero's way back.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
It would be fun to see the Monster Hunter costumes get added with Shantae as a cute nod to her first game being published by Capcom.

The whole returning Mii costumes situation is weird though. Some seem planned and some don't. So my best guess will be that they'll add them to whichever fighter they might fit best, which in turn would make it very hard to try and guess the fighters on.

But then again that raises the question why they decided to hold back on these specific costumes in the first place...
Either they sold well and they might make a few extra bucks on them (wouldn't new and more current characters like the indie ones we've gotten do significantly better?), they're a big part of the speculation pool and help keep speculation and hype around or they're used to pad things out. None of these answers really sit well with me on their own, but as a combination perhaps it would make sense... somewhat? I don't know, my mind turns to mush if I think too much about it.
I'd also question its timing. They decided to hold these specific costumes back way before they even knew if they'd do a second fighters pass. What would've happened if this second pass didn't happen?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd also question its timing. They decided to hold these specific costumes back way before they even knew if they'd do a second fighters pass. What would've happened if this second pass didn't happen?
They probably would have brought back all the Smash 4 Mii costumes in Fighter's Pass 1 if that was it. The fact they hold onto them so long without bringing some of them back until Fighter's Pass 2 might show they planned Fighter's Pass 2 before they were even working on Fighter's Pass 1. We don't know for sure how far ahead these things are planned.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
But then again that raises the question why they decided to hold back on these specific costumes in the first place...
Either they sold well and they might make a few extra bucks on them (wouldn't new and more current characters like the indie ones we've gotten do significantly better?), they're a big part of the speculation pool and help keep speculation and hype around or they're used to pad things out. None of these answers really sit well with me on their own, but as a combination perhaps it would make sense... somewhat? I don't know, my mind turns to mush if I think too much about it.
Keep in mind, the old costumes are likely super easy to port over since they’re just costumes. Spreading them out means they only need to make a few new costumes per new fighter and then port in an old one. Like how the Geno costume was brought back as-is instead of updating the costume with a full head a la Bomberman. If they didn’t do a pass 2, I’m sure they would have just planned to put them all in the remaining Fighters Pass 1 sets.

It’s why I said don’t expect the remaining Mii costumes to mean anything specifically. With the pattern of the rereleases, it seems more like it’s just spacing them out randomly to fill space per fighter instead of having a set plan for it. The only noteworthy exception being Geno coming specifically with Sephiroth, which is more likely because Square wanted their costumes to stay with their characters because Square is notoriously picky about this stuff. Notice how Hero also only came with Square affiliated costumes.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Another Smash 4 Mii costume that's missing in Ultimate is the Red Koopa Shall hat and it's weird since that was a base game costume and not a DLC one. I could see that returning with a promoted Waluigi fighter if it happens.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Leaks and speculation was something that let people guess to see if it's right or wrong. Unfortunately, it also let some have tunnel vision (possibly with salt to follow) when another character under the radar or more popular appears.
Screenshot_20210111-192719_Video Player.jpg

Now with information being locked and only 3 spots left, it is slowly becoming a frenzy like FP1. Which makes the news more surprising for most people not expecting him/her (as the old hype train was back in brawl). So, pros and cons.
Screenshot_20210130-124800_YouTube.jpg

MattX20

Smash Hero
Leaks and speculation was something that let people guess to see if it's right or wrong. Unfortunately, it also let some have tunnel vision (possibly with salt to follow) when another character under the radar or more popular appears.
View attachment 301327

Now with information being locked and only 3 spots left, it is slowly becoming a frenzy like FP1. Which makes the news more surprising for most people not expecting him/her (as the old hype train was back in brawl). So, pros and cons.View attachment 301328
Yeah, that's undeniably true

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
View attachment 301327

Now with information being locked and only 3 spots left, it is slowly becoming a frenzy like FP1. Which makes the news more surprising for most people not expecting him/her (as the old hype train was back in brawl). So, pros and cons.View attachment 301328
whats the first pic?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have a feeling if Shantae's in it's Fighter's Pass 2 or bust due to it being closer to Seven Sirens release and all the Shantae merchandise coming out as a recent. I feel like if we get bonus DLC or Fighter's Pass 3 Shantae will be a lot more unlikely. I feel like if she's in, she's in Fighter's Pass 2.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I have a feeling if Shantae's in it's Fighter's Pass 2 or bust due to it being closer to Seven Sirens release and all the Shantae merchandise coming out as a recent. I feel like if we get bonus DLC or Fighter's Pass 3 Shantae will be a lot more unlikely. I feel like if she's in, she's in Fighter's Pass 2.
It also depends on how many additional Western companies will be considered for a slot.

Top Bottom