• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
You know I have to ask this question. Is Shantae in Indie Pogo? Or going to be in Indie Pogo?

At this point I just want her in a crossover game already. It's been how long?

EDIT: Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good news, I just managed to buy a copy of Mighty Switch Force Collection at retail.

You know I have to ask this question. Is Shantae in Indie Pogo? Or going to be in Indie Pogo?

At this point I just want her in a crossover game already. It's been how long?

EDIT: Merry Christmas everyone!!!!
As far as I know, she isn't coming for that, and I doubt she'll be in Fraymakers, given their...unique selection. I don't know why WF keeps avoiding indie fighting games, really.

A Mii Hat, hm? And not a Mii Swordfighter like everyone believes? That's odd. I guess if a Shovel Knight Mii Costume is planned, he would be a Swordfighter and they don't want two indie Swordfighters in the same Mii Wave. Where did you hear these rumours?
I meant Mii costume, sorry. Don't know how I forgot.
Fatman relayed them, but he's more paid attention to due to predictions...

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
What the hell is wrong with you? You seem to be way too salty over opinions. You even went hard on me just because I didn't know who Sephiroth was before his reveal. okamifire okamifire had to step in because of this.
I can see where Paragon-Yoshi Paragon-Yoshi is coming from though. You can personally choose to believe or read into any events as hints or facts that you like, but if we've learned anything about the DLC cycle these last 2 years, very little side comments and developer's remarks seem to be linked to factual evidence towards anything. For example, how many things can you think of were discussed and given hints by the Persona team (Joker), Dragon Quest devs, Banjo-Kazooie (Rare), Terry / SNK, Byleth, Min-Min, Steve, or Sephiroth, prior to their announcements? (Minus the leaks one or two days before their reveal trailers that happens sometimes.) I can't really recall any instances where something one of those groups said was a clue that the character was coming or another character wasn't. I'm sure it happened, I just can't think of any that stands out.

The closest thing I can think of is with Banjo in 2015 when Phil Spencer tweeted that he was totally cool with Banjo, https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/584023190692737024?lang=en, and this was during the Smash 4 DLC cycle. (Which probably was what got the ball rolling for them in Ultimate, honestly.) Heck, Grant Kirkhope, the composer of most of the Banjo-Kazooie music, had to uphold NDA during the Ultimate DLC pass 1 cycle and went so far as to say things on Twitter like he thought Nintendo and Rare appear to have completely written Banjo out of anything of relevancy, only for us later to find out he not only knew they were coming to Smash, but also composed one of the tracks in Smash.

I guess what I'm saying is this. Reading into and worrying about / over analyzing things that may or may not be clues will quickly lead you down the road of insanity when it comes to game speculation, I think. You can definitely choose what you want to believe, no one here is trying to say otherwise. But we've been on Smash Ultimate DLC cycle speculation for over 2 years now, and Smash 4 was years before that. No one guessed Ryu, Cloud, or Bayonetta, and certainly no one expected any of those based on what their corresponding companies had said online. Random comments here and there so far have likely felt entirely like opinions from game devs without much pull behind them, and that kind of factual uncertainty doesn't always sit well with character support threads like this one, especially if it's unrelated to the character at hand.

The DLC characters were all chosen at least a year in advance at this point, and it looks like Steve and Sephiroth were potentially chosen even before that, according to recent Sakurai columns. Nothing that is being spoken about nowadays would have any change on which characters are DLC. And obviously the Overwatch character would be that big monkey in the space suit. (I joke, I know nothing about Overwatch.)

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm not an admin or anything like that. Me "stepping in" is no different than anyone else contributing to the board. We're all just here to talk about the characters we like, and nothing shy of another character from the series or company, or the end of the DLC pass is really going to persuade us otherwise at this point I reckon.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
okamifire okamifire
What I ultimately wanted to say, is to just chill out.
To stop obsessing over fake leaks, predictions, etc. and getting psyched out about these things, that pretty much mean nothing.
And, in some particular cases, to stop shoving it into everybody's faces.

Ultimately, the truth is behind closed doors, until publicly revealed.
And no amount of speculation and gatekeeping will change that basic fact.

In my eyes, he constantly got carried away by leaks, speculation, etc. putting so much more value on it, than it's worth.
Hence the "Shut up, sit down, relax".
Aka Stop, Chill out, Relax and Wait.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
okamifire okamifire
To stop obsessing over fake leaks, predictions, etc. and getting psyched out about these things, that pretty much mean nothing.

In my eyes, he constantly got carried away by leaks, speculation, etc. putting so much more value on it, than it's worth.
Oh, yeah, I'm on your side with this one. Completely agree.

I'm looking forward to the day when all the DLC and game is completely finished and released so everyone can just stop worrying about this and enjoy the darn game. I think it's an absolutely fantastic game and does so many things right.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
okamifire okamifire

Oh.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I was discussing this topic with another user about Bandana Dee awhile ago, but how do you think most people outside the Shantae fanbase specifically the casual crowd would react to Shantae getting into Smash? I think it would be pretty postive especially since people were excited to see the Shovel Knight Assist Trophy and Sans Mii costume.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So I was discussing this topic with another user about Bandana Dee awhile ago, but how do you think most people outside the Shantae fanbase specifically the casual crowd would react to Shantae getting into Smash? I think it would be pretty postive especially since people were excited to see the Shovel Knight Assist Trophy and Sans Mii costume.
I think it wouldnt be positive. But that's not to say it'd be that negative. I think a lot will be upset just because she'd use up one of the 3 final slots.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think it wouldnt be positive. But that's not to say it'd be that negative. I think a lot will be upset just because she'd use up one of the 3 final slots.
I think some people would be like "Oh wow! A genie that can transform into animals." while other people would be like "No! It was suppose to be 'insert character'. Why her and not Shovel Knight?".

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think some people would be like "Oh wow! A genie that can transform into animals." while other people would be like "No! It was suppose to be 'insert character'. Why her and not Shovel Knight?".
People who aren't hardasses sure :p The gaming crowd tends to be pretty immature and want what they want though.
Thankfully she's at least decently known thx to certain youtubers being for her. I don't think it'd be totally bad. Maybe just a 'meh' from some people. Maybe they'd change their tune after they gave the series a chance, who knows.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
People who aren't hardasses sure :p The gaming crowd tends to be pretty immature and want what they want though.
Thankfully she's at least decently known thx to certain youtubers being for her. I don't think it'd be totally bad. Maybe just a 'meh' from some people. Maybe they'd change their tune after they gave the series a chance, who knows.
People would want Shovel Knight over Shantae because Shovel Knight is the more iconic of the two. Reimu (Touhou) isn't any less famous than Shantae either.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shantae getting in Smash and becoming a celebrity would be great. Especially since it would give the Shantae brand more recognition and exposure. :awesome:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Shantae getting in Smash and becoming a celebrity would be great. Especially since it would give the Shantae brand more recognition and exposure. :awesome:
Shantae may be a famous indie character, but I would still want Shovel Knight, or Reimu (Touhou) for aforementioned reasons.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shantae may be a famous indie character, but I would still want Shovel Knight, or Reimu (Touhou) for aforementioned reasons.
I wouldn't mind Shovel or Reimu as well. But Shantae at least with Shovel Knight'a case has seniority over him as well as 5 games while he only has one. I think Shantae should get in before Shovel Knight since she has seniority over him as well as Yacht Club Games being former WayForward employees off to do their own thing. I kind of view Shantae as Shovel Knight's older sister because of this.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind Shovel or Reimu as well. But Shantae at least with Shovel Knight'a case has seniority over him as well as 5 games while he only as one. I think Shantae should get in before Shovel Knight since she has seniority over him as well as Yacht Club Games being former WayForward employees off to do their own thing. I kind of view Shantae as Shovel Knight's older sister because of this.
Not only do Shovel Knight and Reimu trump Shantae, fame-wise, but it still bugs me that Reimu is often understated by ignorant fans due to a misconception that Touhou is obscure, when it actually isn't.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
People would want Shovel Knight over Shantae because Shovel Knight is the more iconic of the two. Reimu (Touhou) isn't any less famous than Shantae either.
I don't agree, shovel knight feels more like a fad. And touhou is big in japan, but hardly anyone knows the series elsewhere. (personally I'm a fan of their designs)

Sure :p It's already something that the spirit made it in, but yeah as a character it would give a huge boost. (obviously)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not only do Shovel Knight and Reimu trump Shantae, fame-wise, but it still bugs me that Reimu is often understated by ignorant fans due to a misconception that Touhou is obscure, when it actually isn't.
Yes, but popularity doesn't get a character in first it's usually legacy or seniority in most cases.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In fairness to SK, the guy is still fairly young. The rest of the DLC for his debut game was finally finished recently, and it'll take some time still for his series to develop itself and not be yet another one-hit wonder that many indies fall into (if they even get that far, unlike some anime fan-shaming games).

If he gets into Smash, now is not the time. He needs to prove himself and last before that can happen.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
In fairness to SK, the guy is still fairly young. The rest of the DLC for his debut game was finally finished recently, and it'll take some time still for his series to develop itself and not be yet another one-hit wonder that many indies fall into (if they even get that far, unlike some anime fan-shaming games).

If he gets into Smash, now is not the time. He needs to prove himself and last before that can happen.
And he needs to get out of the Assist Trophy position in the next game.

Hollow Knight is also much younger than Shovel Knight, being roughly the same age as Fortnite characters. But both have one thing in common. They only have one game with a sequel that isn't even out yet.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
And he needs to get out of the Assist Trophy position in the next game.
If someone were to ask me, "How would you modify the assist trophy collection", I would say, "I would replace Shovel Knight with either Lilac (Freedom Planet) or a Touhou character who isn't Reimu, Marisa, Youmu, or Sanae." And you're right, Shovel Knight doesn't belong in the assist trophy collection.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
If someone were to ask me, "How would you modify the assist trophy collection", I would say, "I would replace Shovel Knight with either Lilac (Freedom Planet) or a Touhou character who isn't Reimu, Marisa, Youmu, or Sanae." And you're right, Shovel Knight doesn't belong in the assist trophy collection.
Which all work completely different from Shovel Knight.
So no, you can't just promote Shovel Knight to playable and just use a different character for his Assist Trophy.
Neither Lilac nor the Touhou character use a shovel and can be used in his Assist Trophy position.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Honestly, I've done A LOT of browsing and reserching on dlc speculation, and I will say this. SO MANY think X indie character has a better shot due to being "more popular" or "Shovel Knight/Sans/Cuphead didn't get in so I don't see her as having much of a chance."

If she gets in, One thing is certain... she will surprise A TON of people. Mostly 4chan and Gamefaqs.

So no, you can't just promote Shovel Knight to playable and just use a different character for his Assist Trophy.
Neither Lilac nor the Touhou character use a shovel and can be used in his Assist Trophy position.
I think they meant if you could completely swap an AT and make em playable and just have a totally different AT.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
For clarification, When I say "replace" I meant replacing an assist trophy with a different assist trophy.

I think they meant if you could completely swap an AT and make em playable and just have a totally different AT.
That's what I was trying to say, basically removing an assist trophy, but adding a different one to make up for it.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I've done A LOT of browsing and reserching on dlc speculation, and I will say this. SO MANY think X indie character has a better shot due to being "more popular" or "Shovel Knight/Sans/Cuphead didn't get in so I don't see her as having much of a chance."

If she gets in, One thing is certain... she will surprise A TON of people. Mostly 4chan and Gamefaqs.
Those mentalities are so flawed. The people who try to use bigger popularity or use certain characters as a means to detract the chances of completely unrelated characters are braindead and I don't get what porridge boils in their brains.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Those mentalities are so flawed. The people who try to use bigger popularity or use certain characters as a means to detract the chances of completely unrelated characters are braindead and I don't get what porridge boils in their brains.
Its because they assume one indie NOT getting in means any they deem lesser than said indie has no chance.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
For clarification, When I say "replace" I meant replacing an assist trophy with a different assist trophy.
Which by itself would require more work.

And from the given patterns, they won't change or add any new Assist Trophies.
It's all primarily about the Characters, with Stages, Music and Spirits coming as supplementary content.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

GameFaqs and 4chan will literally have the best reactions to watch as all those haters and detractors there will get BTFO. Shantae's inclusion will produce the most juicy tears from all the detractors and trolls more than any other character prior I believe.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
GameFaqs and 4chan will literally have the best reactions to watch as all those haters and detractors there will get BTFO. Shantae's inclusion will produce the most juicy tears from all the detractors and trolls more than any other character prior I believe.
To compare, Reimu (Touhou) has at least 5 times the amount of detractors than Shantae.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If I get art of Shantae in that "drinking the haters' tears" meme if she gets in, I'll have to tell the artist make her bigger than Earth to be accurate for how much she drinks.

Top Bottom