• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think he meant "popular by speculation standards".
Not many of us predicted Sephiroth.
He said "hugely popular characters IN THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY"
And Sephiroth definitely qualifies for that.

It's true that Sephiroth wasn't very predicted, due to Square's notorious stingyness and hatred for Nintendo.
At the time, there was no reason to think Final Fantasy would get any more, due to the barebones representation of Final Fantasy in the base game and no Geno after all these years, despite Sakurai himself wanting to have him.
As well as the fact, that Cloud almost didn't return in Ultimate, due to Square not wanting him back in Smash at first.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I already told you that I don’t have much hopes on Shantae anymore so please stop replying to me when I talked about my lost hopes
Uh huh, sure. I see how it is. You went from being calm about the whole thing to becoming almost faithless. You really need to stop worrying over a video game. There's bigger fish in the barrel to be worried about.

Also Paragon-Yoshi Paragon-Yoshi , I never even heard of Sephiroth until his reveal. In fact, nobody even cared about him in terms of Smash speculation until he was revealed. That was what I was talking about. Next time, don't jump to conclusions please.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The whole point is that Sephiroth was a out of nowhere pick like Cloud was at first(except this time he came with more than 4X the songs lol). So really if we do not get a "Shantae Spirit Event" in the upcoming months and WayForward keeps up with the silent treatment I can say that Shantae will be sent a certain letter in the near future.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
The whole point is that Sephiroth was a out of nowhere pick like Cloud was at first(except this time he came with more than 4X the songs lol). So really if we do not get a "Shantae Spirit Event" in the upcoming months and WayForward keeps up with the silent treatment I can say that Shantae will be sent a certain letter in the near future.
They've been silent for a long time now, even after they posted about Shantae being a Spirit. Even Matt himself said nothing about the matter on Reddit back in October, despite talking about it in June.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Also Paragon-Yoshi Paragon-Yoshi , I never even heard of Sephiroth until his reveal. In fact, nobody even cared about him in terms of Smash speculation until he was revealed. That was what I was talking about. Next time, don't jump to conclusions please.
1. "I never heard of Sephiroth."
Oh boy...
You're really out of the loop then, considering how successful FF7 was and how much of a legacy it has.

2. "Nobody cared about him in speculation."
Ok, first of, you said "Characters not popular in the video game industry" and nothing about speculation.
Implying that Sephiroth is not a popular character in the entire industry, which is false.

Second of, so what if he wasn't someone most speculator's expected?
Speculator's are not the entire Smash fandom.
Plus, I literally said why people didn't expect Sephiroth.
But I can assure you, that there must be a lot of people that actually wanted him.
Again, courtesy to FF7s legacy and popularity.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just because you never cared for a character or series doesnt mean it isnt a popular character. I said the same thing when people said Terry was a nobody.

Sephiroth was only not talked about much because people thought square was being super stingy with their reps and didnt want to give any more FF reps. A fan rule basically, which seems to be the tjing sakurai likes to break the most

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Uh huh, sure. I see how it is. You went from being calm about the whole thing to becoming almost faithless. You really need to stop worrying over a video game. There's bigger fish in the barrel to be worried about.

Can you not being so cocky over me without any hopes? That’s just bit rude

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
It's probably a generational thing, don't go so hard on Comedic Comrade. While it's impossible to tell if everyone that shares their age is being accurate, the last few pages of people here are in their 30s. Final Fantasy 7 came out in 1997, years before Comedic Comrade was born, so it makes sense that they're not familiar with the series. If they don't play RPGs or Final Fantasy, they probably haven't had many run ins with Sephiroth.

However, those that have been around games and gaming when FF7 came out though have little trouble understanding why Sephiroth made it. Sure, it was unexpected, I'll give you that, and no one in Smash communities really talked much about him. But he's an incredibly popular character among the RPG community and most gamers around when FF7 would have come out would have little trouble recognizing him. His boss theme is among the most recognizeable pieces of music in gaming history ever, and I can't personally think of a song that more relates to a character than One Winged Angel. I didn't even finish FF7 back in the day (didn't have a Playstation at the time) and I recognize the song.

There's no shame in not knowing about the character since these days there are so many different games of so many different genres, but you really have to be mindful that they do exist. Also, if they make it into Smash DLC, an addon that is designed with the sole purpose of selling and earning money, you can almost guarantee that the character will be no where near a "literal who" tier.

In regards to Shantae, I'm not sure that description helps her or not, since she has been around technically since 2002, but I feel like she really started becoming more main stream in the last 5-10 years.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
It's probably a generational thing, don't go so hard on Comedic Comrade. While it's impossible to tell if everyone that shares their age is being accurate, the last few pages of people here are in their 30s. Final Fantasy 7 came out in 1997, years before Comedic Comrade was born, so it makes sense that they're not familiar with the series. If they don't play RPGs or Final Fantasy, they probably haven't had many run ins with Sephiroth.

However, those that have been around games and gaming when FF7 came out though have little trouble understanding why Sephiroth made it. Sure, it was unexpected, I'll give you that, and no one in Smash communities really talked much about him. But he's an incredibly popular character among the RPG community and most gamers around when FF7 would have come out would have little trouble recognizing him. His boss theme is among the most recognizeable pieces of music in gaming history ever, and I can't personally think of a song that more relates to a character than One Winged Angel. I didn't even finish FF7 back in the day (didn't have a Playstation at the time) and I recognize the song.

There's no shame in not knowing about the character since these days there are so many different games of so many different genres, but you really have to be mindful that they do exist. Also, if they make it into Smash DLC, an addon that is designed with the sole purpose of selling and earning money, you can almost guarantee that the character will be no where near a "literal who" tier.

In regards to Shantae, I'm not sure that description helps her or not, since she has been around technically since 2002, but I feel like she really started becoming more main stream in the last 5-10 years.
Thank you. Yes, that is correct. I am of the post-FF7 generation. It's why I haven't taken an interest in Final Fantasy.

About Shantae, what description are you talking about?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's nothing wrong with not knowing a character, but it's no excuse to say a character isn't popular when it is.
Someone's personal interests is different from how it happens to be.
Also, FF7R just came out this year and was a modern popular game ;p (it was even mentioned at the game awards many times)

The biggest thing that sakurai did with this reveal is show that he'll put a second full rep from the same 3rd party game. Not even just the same series, but the same game. Not a lot of people speculated sephiroth, because Cloud was in and it seemed like giving too much to one game. The Final Fantasy series has other games with popular characters, and SE has a ton of popular other games too.
It's not even impossible that more SE characters could get in, though I think the chances are still low. Like 2b, and even Sora. I think their chances are pretty low, but still not impossible.

The fact is, Sephiroth's inclusion along other characters not speculated about shows how you can't really predict fully who's going to get in.
In the end, we don't know what's going to happen:p

But we can support who we like anyway, and see what happens :)

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Thank you. Yes, that is correct. I am of the post-FF7 generation. It's why I haven't taken an interest in Final Fantasy.

About Shantae, what description are you talking about?
What he means is that the incoming DLC fighters are most likely very well known, and Shantae is not really the most famous franchise out there although it has grown a lot during the past decade.

But then again, it is just speculation and many other factors come in play regarding who ends up joining the roster.

As Teeb147 Teeb147 said, we have no way to predict the outcome, and that's what makes it exciting to me !

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
What he means is that the incoming DLC fighters are most likely very well known, and Shantae is not really the most famous franchise out there although it has grown a lot during the past decade.

But then again, it is just speculation and many other factors come in play regarding who ends up joining the roster.

As Teeb147 Teeb147 she said, we have no way to predict the outcome, and that's what makes it exciting to me !
True, although all of the characters so far have been unexpected picks. People were expecting characters like Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Geno, Sora, Doomguy etc. and they got none of them. In my personal opinion, Shantae qualifies as an unexpected pick. Nobody would see her coming, just like with Steve and Sephiroth, especially the latter, whom nobody, not even "credible" leakers, was able to predict.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast

As Teeb147 Teeb147 she said, we have no way to predict the outcome, and that's what makes it exciting to me !
This is exactly what I meant, yep! I don't think Shantae is that not known to make her not a possibility. But she's no Crash Bandicoot.

True, although all of the characters so far have been unexpected picks. People were expecting characters like Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Geno, Sora, Doomguy etc. and they got none of them. In my personal opinion, Shantae qualifies as an unexpected pick. Nobody would see her coming, just like with Steve and Sephiroth, especially the latter, whom nobody, not even "credible" leakers, was able to predict.
While I agree with this to a certain point, there hasn't been any character from a series that hasn't sold well. For example, you listed Sephiroth as being unexpected, and while true among Smash speculation, the original Final Fantasy VII on PlayStation 1, not even counting the rereleases on other consoles and PCs, has 10.02 million copies sold. Final Fantasy VII Remake that came out this year has already sold 5 million copies. Every game in the Shantae series combined from the very first to the very last hit 3 million in sales this summer. Which is good, it's a popular enough game among the somewhat dying action platforming genre. That said, Final Fantasy VII Remake sold more than Shantae's entire catalog within 3 days. (https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-launch-numbers-broke-35-million-in-first-3-days/). It'd be silly to downplay this.

(I'm not going to bring up Minecraft as 200 Million sales tops every video game in history, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games)

So yeah, I'm not going to sell Shantae short as she's a great character from a current day series and of course I think she has a chance, but not a single third party character character has come from a series that hasn't done pretty well in terms of sales. Take that as you will. I promise I'm not being a negative Nancy or anything. My personal prediction for the remaining pass is:

• Crash Bandicoot (he really feels like the only real glaring omission remaining from console mascots back in the day, and he has current games)
  • Namco character (they're a major contributing company of SSBU but only have PacMan, and there are so many other Namco series)
  • Nintendo character or an unexpected 3rd party. I don't really have any guesses for this, but I'd love to see any of the characters in my signature, or something really off the walls.

I'm excited either way, I'm absolutely loving SSBU and at least 3 more characters of any kind with music and stages are exciting to me!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Shantae has been speculated about a lot though for smash, so it doesn't fit what you said. She's also not well known like 99% of the characters. I'd say mostly Terry and then Joker are more niche, though persona 5 had a lot more popularity than the others, especially in japan.

You should try not swinging so hard for shantae :p Youre making me argue against her and I don't like that XD
Balance.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Shantae has been speculated about a lot though for smash, so it doesn't fit what you said. She's also not well known like 99% of the characters. I'd say mostly Terry and then Joker are more niche, though persona 5 had a lot more popularity than the others, especially in japan.

You should try not swinging so hard for shantae :p Youre making me argue against her and I don't like that XD
Balance.
(coughs on Steve, another character who has been speculated a lot for Smash)

This is exactly what I meant, yep! I don't think Shantae is that not known to make her not a possibility. But she's no Crash Bandicoot.

While I agree with this to a certain point, there hasn't been any character from a series that hasn't sold well. For example, you listed Sephiroth as being unexpected, and while true among Smash speculation, the original Final Fantasy VII on PlayStation 1, not even counting the rereleases on other consoles and PCs, has 10.02 million copies sold. Final Fantasy VII Remake that came out this year has already sold 5 million copies. Every game in the Shantae series combined from the very first to the very last hit 3 million in sales this summer. Which is good, it's a popular enough game among the somewhat dying action platforming genre. That said, Final Fantasy VII Remake sold more than Shantae's entire catalog within 3 days. (https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-launch-numbers-broke-35-million-in-first-3-days/). It'd be silly to downplay this.

(I'm not going to bring up Minecraft as 200 Million sales tops every video game in history, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games)

So yeah, I'm not going to sell Shantae short as she's a great character from a current day series and of course I think she has a chance, but not a single third party character character has come from a series that hasn't done pretty well in terms of sales. Take that as you will. I promise I'm not being a negative Nancy or anything. My personal prediction for the remaining pass is:

• Crash Bandicoot (he really feels like the only real glaring omission remaining from console mascots back in the day, and he has current games)
  • Namco character (they're a major contributing company of SSBU but only have PacMan, and there are so many other Namco series)
  • Nintendo character or an unexpected 3rd party. I don't really have any guesses for this, but I'd love to see any of the characters in my signature, or something really off the walls.

I'm excited either way, I'm absolutely loving SSBU and at least 3 more characters of any kind with music and stages are exciting to me!
Masahiro Sakurai made it clear that the only rule is if it's a game character or not. Sales do not matter and therefore they don't determine whether a character gets in or not. He said it depends on whether a character is fun to play as or not.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
(coughs on Steve, another character who has been speculated a lot for Smash)

Masahiro Sakurai made it clear that the only rule is if it's a game character or not. Sales do not matter and therefore they don't determine whether a character gets in or not. He said it depends on whether a character is fun to play as or not.
Yeah, your original thought was that characters who aren't popular are picked (like you thought sephiroth was), and then you say unexpected, but steve is both popular as well as speculated about. So I don't see why you bring him up :p

You're also kinda wrong about the sales. And again Terry is probably the exception, even though all games he's in added together makes a decent amount of sales.
Edit: I guess Banjo didn't sell that much more than Shantae too. Though it's over 5 million all together. Mainly a fan pick though, since there's no new games.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I guess Shantae's chances at the end of the day will come down to how many Western reps this pass will allow. Crash is currently the front runner on a lot of people's lists right now, and if Activision got too greedy with it, she could have a way in.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I guess Shantae's chances at the end of the day will come down to how many Western reps this pass will allow. Crash is currently the front runner on a lot of people's lists right now, and if Activision got too greedy with it, she could have a way in.
I saw one fan comic where Crash is given a Smash letter, but Activision tells him "Not for now my friend" and Crash tears up the letter. I looked in the comments and some people were saying that Nintendo would have to pay a big price for Crash to get in or something like that. No, I am not saying this means Crash won't get in. I'm just talking about a fan comic I saw. This is it: https://mobile.twitter.com/Magaska19/status/1337487484620578829

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I saw one fan comic where Crash is given a Smash letter, but Activision tells him "Not for now my friend" and Crash tears up the letter. I looked in the comments and some people were saying that Nintendo would have to pay a big price for Crash to get in or something like that. No, I am not saying this means Crash won't get in. I'm just talking about a fan comic I saw. This is it: https://mobile.twitter.com/Magaska19/status/1337487484620578829
Yeah that's a silly comic. When something is mutually beneficial, companies won't ask for money to get in the game. I don't know how Activision is though, I don't think they're dumb :p Who knows tho.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Activision didn't let Crash into Playstation All Stars, the platform that he's lived all of his life on, so that comic might not be far from the truth. Since the resurgence of Crash games (in N. Sane Trilogy being cross platformed and Crash Nitro Racing cross platformed), I'm not sure Activision would care as much. And obviously no way to tell if this is real, but there was a reference by a Crash merchandising company in 2018 that mentioned more Crash things to come in the following years, and then rumors that match up such as :

"
The earliest mention of a "5-year plan" for Crash Bandicoot was mentioned in a spring 2018 issue of Licensing Source Book Europe. The rumour is that the Crash Bandicoot roadmap contains the following:

• 2017 - Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
  • 2018 - N. Sane Trilogy releasing to other platforms
  • 2019 - Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
  • 2020 - Crash Bandicoot: On the Run! and Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  • 2021 - Crash Bandicoot crossover for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
"

Obviously just a rumor, but it's something that so far seems believeable and on track. I wouldn't bet my life on it of course, but I don't really think any character is more likely at this point than Crash to me.

And to your other point, yeah, Sakurai wants to make fun characters over all else. Nintendo is the one selling the DLC though, so the character has to at least be marketable. There has to be some balance between the two.

In terms of this thread, I think Shantae has a moveset made in heaven for Smash, she's likeable, and Wayforward seems to be on great terms with Nintendo. She's not a nobody and she has most if not all of her games available on the Switch. From a business sense she would make sense, and I'm sure she wouldn't costs as much in licensing fees as anything from Namco, Capcom, Square, etc. I think she has a decent chance. My only fear, and what we've referenced before, is that if Nintendo can instead get characters that more people recognize or are already familiar with, they'll make the smart business choice.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
okamifire okamifire I hadn't thought about how it's weird to not accept for playstation allstars. Maybe it's just not a popular game enough for them. Still, you would think it's a good deal for both parties involved. So, kinda odd.

As for the plan, it could easily just be another fake leak like all of them. And now we're hearing that there's a fighting party game for crash coming, which wasnt mentioned in that list.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
okamifire okamifire I hadn't thought about how it's weird to not accept for playstation allstars. Maybe it's just not a popular game enough for them. Still, you would think it's a good deal for both parties involved. So, kinda odd.

As for the plan, it could easily just be another fake leak like all of them. And now we're hearing that there's a fighting party game for crash coming, which wasnt mentioned in that list.
Fair points! If I've learned anything from leaks it's that they're rarely real. I didn't realize there was a new Fighting Party game either. (I only knew of Crash Bash from back in the day.)

I still have to think that with PS AS, it has to have been a licensing hell situation. No way Activision wasn't at least approached.

I guess in that regards, I don't think there's any conflict of interest or licensing problems with Shantae, hah. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up getting her for cheap, I think Wayforward really just wants the exposure. At least we'll probably find out in the next 8 months who the remaining 3 characters are. Man, waiting is tough.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Fair points! If I've learned anything from leaks it's that they're rarely real. I didn't realize there was a new Fighting Party game either. (I only knew of Crash Bash from back in the day.)

I still have to think that with PS AS, it has to have been a licensing hell situation. No way Activision wasn't at least approached.

I guess in that regards, I don't think there's any conflict of interest or licensing problems with Shantae, hah. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up getting her for cheap, I think Wayforward really just wants the exposure. At least we'll probably find out in the next 8 months who the remaining 3 characters are. Man, waiting is tough.
Going by how the Fighter Pass releases have gone so far, it's every 2.5-3 months at most. It basically says we'll know the identities of the remaining 3 fighters no later than the end of September of next year.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I suppose there could be complications because of Blizzard, I dunno. Like they might want them to pick an overwatch character over crash or something. Who knows. That would be playing hard though, and Nintendo has enough leverage so it's their (activision blizzard's) loss if they make it hard for smash. I kinda think that's not the case, but I don't know enough about how activision does things.

And WF would give Shantae for free lol. A lot of companies would and probably have, on the basis of getting a cut from the dlc sales.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
There's nothing wrong with not knowing a character, but it's no excuse to say a character isn't popular when it is.
Someone's personal interests is different from how it happens to be.
Also, FF7R just came out this year and was a modern popular game ;p (it was even mentioned at the game awards many times)

The biggest thing that sakurai did with this reveal is show that he'll put a second full rep from the same 3rd party game. Not even just the same series, but the same game. Not a lot of people speculated sephiroth, because Cloud was in and it seemed like giving too much to one game. The Final Fantasy series has other games with popular characters, and SE has a ton of popular other games too.
It's not even impossible that more SE characters could get in, though I think the chances are still low. Like 2b, and even Sora. I think their chances are pretty low, but still not impossible.

The fact is, Sephiroth's inclusion along other characters not speculated about shows how you can't really predict fully who's going to get in.
In the end, we don't know what's going to happen:p

But we can support who we like anyway, and see what happens :)
I actually don't mind Sephiroth.
This DLC Pick feels like an "Update Pick" for the barebones FF7 representation we had originally.
Now it actually has the content it originally should've bad, with more music tracks and actual spirits.

In fact, i can imagine this being the reason that we got 6 characters in FP2, as opposed to the 5 in the first.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I am still concerned about that 5chan leak. I know that 5chan is just the Japanese version of 4chan, but I am still a bit unnerved about it. I feel like discussing and properly breaking it down will help.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Whatever happens, the internet will react depending on factors leading to the hype.

For me, this is me for any leaks after sephiroth release recently.

jbllgpyp2up21.png

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I am still concerned about that 5chan leak. I know that 5chan is just the Japanese version of 4chan, but I am still a bit unnerved about it. I feel like discussing and properly breaking it down will help.
Which one? The Chun Li + Tales one, the Crash and Reimu one, or another one? I don't really think I'd put any stock into any of them personally, but there was that post that talked about play testing Piranha Plant months before he was announced, so someone knew something then. I'm not sure other than the accidental SNK leaked logo really anything leaked more than a day or two ahead. Vergeben for base game was somewhat believeable but it's been literally 2 years since then.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Which one? The Chun Li + Tales one, the Crash and Reimu one, or another one? I don't really think I'd put any stock into any of them personally, but there was that post that talked about play testing Piranha Plant months before he was announced, so someone knew something then. I'm not sure other than the accidental SNK leaked logo really anything leaked more than a day or two ahead. Vergeben for base game was somewhat believeable but it's been literally 2 years since then.
I predict that one of the remaining 3 DLC characters is Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
The one with Crash, Reimu and KOS MOS. KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 mentioned something about Touhou having trouble getting into Smash due to liscencing issues and whatnot.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
5Chan texts leaks? Puh-lease. 🙄

People clung onto the "leak" for FP1 that was posted there a while back, and it only had :ulthero: right, and even then one of the skins mentioned for him in it wasn't in the game. Though mentioning the DQ character was nothing new at the time.

It's just /v/, but in a different language, so I'd put zero stock into it.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I can't really get into taking leaks seriously anymore. Seems like a waste of energy at this point. It really feels like the Smash team has a lock on the current characters they've been working on for DLC. No amount of leaks or speculation prepared us for Sephiroth's reveal while we all had our eyes on Geno and Sora. I mean, isn't it possible for anyone who's into making fake leaks to just post a bunch of character combinations on the internet and hope to get one right?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

They sure like to celebrate a lot of their games' anniversaries.

I can't really get into taking leaks seriously anymore. Seems like a waste of energy at this point. It really feels like the Smash team has a lock on the current characters they've been working on for DLC. No amount of leaks or speculation prepared us for Sephiroth's reveal while we all had our eyes on Geno and Sora. I mean, isn't it possible for anyone who's into making fake leaks to just post a bunch of character combinations on the internet and hope to get one right?
That's pretty much what it is. Fake leakers constantly churn out easy-to-make lists in a desperate attempt to get people to give them attention, to validate their sad, strange little lives. If they get even one character right, it's in all likelihood a coincidence. If anyone got leaked at this point, it would be due to external factors unrelated to imageboards.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 Phew. Thanks man. I'm honestly sick and tired of all these leaks that try to detract us from wanting our favourite characters in Smash.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't seen any accurate text leak, and even the leaks that appear alongside video or images haven't measured up either. The only legit leak I remember seeing is that Ken one a few months before Ultimate came out. And the SNK logo thing for Terry. There were some tip offs that Banjo was coming, but that was like, the day or two before E3 and nothing before then. In fact, most leaks claimed against things like Banjo and Steve.

So yeah, definitely don't stop wanting a character based on some rumors. Gotta keep the hope alive!

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't seen any accurate text leak, and even the leaks that appear alongside video or images haven't measured up either. The only legit leak I remember seeing is that Ken one a few months before Ultimate came out. And the SNK logo thing for Terry. There were some tip offs that Banjo was coming, but that was like, the day or two before E3 and nothing before then. In fact, most leaks claimed against things like Banjo and Steve.

So yeah, definitely don't stop wanting a character based on some rumors. Gotta keep the hope alive!
Thanks mate!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I actually don't mind Sephiroth.
This DLC Pick feels like an "Update Pick" for the barebones FF7 representation we had originally.
Now it actually has the content it originally should've bad, with more music tracks and actual spirits.

In fact, i can imagine this being the reason that we got 6 characters in FP2, as opposed to the 5 in the first.
I'm not personally glad at all, but having more ff7 content and a villain fills an interesting part of smash.

Now if we can just get a proper indie rep :p

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

The reason not that many people talked about Sephiroth in Smash before his inclusion was because he would have to be a unique non Echo secondary 3rd party rep which he is. Now that this flood gate is opened, characters like Tails, Chun-Li, Dr. Eggman, ect are all on the table now. Support for those characters will grow because of Sephiroth breaking the "Unique non Echo secondary 3rd party rep" fan rule.

Top Bottom