• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
If a double reveal should have at E3 for challenger 10 and 11. FP2 will be finished in the fall. I'm also still unsure if sakurai has steam to continue another DLC pass after FP2 is complete.
I still doubt we'll ever get a third DLC pass. I believe Sakurai would have burned out all his steam after the pass has concluded. As of now, FP2 is Shantae's best shot at getting into the game.

“I think Shantae will be FP7, 8, 9, 10, 11”. It’s the same old stuff everyday and always think Shantae will be next. Honestly idk about that anymore
It's called speculation, dude. Also, you act like only Shantae fans do this. Fans of other characters like Crash Bandicoot and Rayman do the same, if you couldn't tell by the fact that many people have speculated that Crash would be FP7 due to the release of the fourth game and FP8 due to the Crash PvP rumours for TGA 2020. So yeah.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's called speculation, dude. Also, you act like only Shantae fans do this. Fans of other characters like Crash Bandicoot and Rayman do the same, if you couldn't tell by the fact that many people have speculated that Crash would be FP7 due to the release of the fourth game and FP8 due to the Crash PvP rumours for TGA 2020. So yeah.
That's not speculation. That's wishful thinking.
And a really desperate one at that, if you keep repeating this for every time she is not revealed as the next fighter.

Yes, others do it too. That doesn't make it any less desperate or foolish.
Be the bigger person, instead of doing the exact same mistakes, just because a lot of other people do it too.
There still is a thing called "leading by example", even if that isn't the easiest thing to do, especially in this day and age.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
NEW label is for newcomers in general, not anyone specific. It'll presumably be removed once :ultsephiroth: launches. Though to my knowledge it usually isn't removed until someone new is about to be revealed.

That said, as far as I've noticed, roster selection is more or less a delicate balancing act; most requested vs. whatever's the most relevant at the time vs. personal Sak picks/whatever Sak happens to like that was picked. Most requested have a higher chance overall of showing up in the base roster (though it's not impossible for some to occasionally pop up as DLC). Wide appeal picks do make sense to add, since that would mainly get more attention/revenue from players/consumers that are outside the core fanbase.

In sum, Shantae would certainly please several fans, but she's still niche, so it wouldn't surprise me if she's saved for another occasion.

Origami King already got a spirit event, so it's a moot point. If PM comes, it would have to be in the final three months of the Mario 35th celebration, otherwise it's no dice for him this time.
Loll I don't believe spirit events deconfirm XD

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So now that the Geno thread is locked permanently for this game, that leaves Isaac's thread as the current biggest. We are at 1087 pages and the Isaac thread is at 1118 pages. You guys want to crunk up the dial and surpass them?

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
So now that the Geno thread is locked permanently for this game, that leaves Isaac's thread as the current biggest. We are at 1087 pages and the Isaac thread is at 1118 pages. You guys want to crunk up the dial and surpass them?
I vote against that. Posting just to get the status of "biggest thread" seems pointless. It is better to go for quality over quantity.

Personally I prefeer more substantial posts, with some reasoning behind them.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I don't really see the point in doing that, it would seem kinda vain.
It's not a competition after all ! Let's have everyone's back instead :D

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't really see the point in doing that, it would seem kinda vain.
It's not a competition after all ! Let's have everyone's back instead :D
I mean, I support Isaac and his fans as well. But it would be nice to be at the top for just a little bit. I really don't want it to be competition though.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I don't come in this thread super often, but I would absolutely vote against trying to get the number of pages up for the sake of them being up. Talk about things as they come, but don't force it just for numbers. The aforementioned thread definitely was a quantity over quality for most days for me.

Since I've started playing the Shantae games I've always wanted her in Smash. She has a moveset perfect for Smash so hopefully someday (this pass would be even better!) she'll get her chance.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If a double reveal should have at E3 for challenger 10 and 11. FP2 will be finished in the fall. I'm also still unsure if sakurai has steam to continue another DLC pass after FP2 is complete.
No one can really tell right now. When we'll get to the presentation of the last/second-to-last fighter and he brings up the topic, then we'll see. If Sak doesn't back out on ending outside of his Famitsu columns, we'll know for sure that there's surprises in store, until then all we can do is wait.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I vote against that. Posting just to get the status of "biggest thread" seems pointless. It is better to go for quality over quantity.

Personally I prefeer more substantial posts, with some reasoning behind them.
I agree, but there was a time where wasted dozens of pages for someone who wanted tons of attention... I'm sure when it came to relevant information, though, we're lacking. lol

I'm terms of quality, The entire fighters passes had been made up of moderately unpredictable well known characters.

What are some characters who aren't on many lists that have a chance?

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I think Shantae is coming next. I presume that the tenth Fighter would be revealed at E3 2021 (if it's still being held). Fighter 11 could also possibly be revealed there. There is no dice for Shantae being at E3 and Fighter 11 doesn't really fit her position. It's gotta be Fighter 9. We are getting three more Fighters next year, and I believe FP9 will be revealed in early 2021, FP10 in mid-2021 and FP11 in either mid-2021 or late-2021.
Jeez man, how're you gonna say that after Sephiroth's reveal killed the last leak you thought was real?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I may be biased but I think a League of Legends rep may happen for this game has arguably the same level of long-lasting success and impact as Minecraft. Some LoL games are coming to the Nintendo Switch as well.
And my pick from this game would be my favorite, Ahri, who makes tons of sense ( she's even one of the 6 playable from LoL : The ruined King coming to switch ).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I agree, but there was a time where wasted dozens of pages for someone who wanted tons of attention... I'm sure when it came to relevant information, though, we're lacking. lol

I'm terms of quality, The entire fighters passes had been made up of moderately unpredictable well known characters.

I dunno...Bonk, maybe? As far as I see, the Turbographix-16/PC Engine is the only old-school console left that doesn't have a noteworthy mascot present for Smash (:ultrichter: barely counts). In the off-chance they still want to include someone from Konami's Hudson stable.

If not that, I'd go for broke with Earthworm Jim, since he's getting a bit of a revival.

I'd bring up an Inti Creates character, but that gets dismissed here anyways.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Jeez man, how're you gonna say that after Sephiroth's reveal killed the last leak you thought was real?
I honestly couldn't care less that Sephiroth killed that leak. What Sephiroth does succeed in doing is add further weight to my personal theory that Masahiro Sakurai ignores hugely popular characters in the video game industry, like Crash Bandicoot and Rayman, in favour of characters that can be considered "unexpected" and seem less likely in the eyes of others, like Joker (never appeared on a Nintendo console), Banjo-Kazooie (never appeared since 2008) etc.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
That's not speculation. That's wishful thinking.
And a really desperate one at that, if you keep repeating this for every time she is not revealed as the next fighter.

Yes, others do it too. That doesn't make it any less desperate or foolish.
Be the bigger person, instead of doing the exact same mistakes, just because a lot of other people do it too.
There still is a thing called "leading by example", even if that isn't the easiest thing to do, especially in this day and age.
Pfft **** that, thats not fun during this time of guessing and wishing for dlc picks.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
One thing we should be grateful for is that our half-genie is still definitely in the running !
And I'm thrilled as hell she's still in the race because I pray that the Smash Ballot, all of this Shantae merchandise coming out of nowhere, WayForward coming up with all this money for the merchandise, producing Seven Sirens, advertising Seven Sirens in theaters and producing other WayForward projects all without a Kickstarter is a sign that our girl is in. It's hard to overlook all of this as I think it will lead to something big even if it's not Shantae in Smash. I think it's time the Shantae brand get's the recognition it rightfully deserves among the wider audience and I believe that is what is going to happen within the next few years. Our girl will rise to become a real star and not just a big face of the Indies. The future of the Shantae series is looking brighter than ever.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
And I'm thrilled as hell she's still in the race because I pray that the Smash Ballot, all of this Shantae merchandise coming out of nowhere, WayForward coming up with all this money for the merchandise, producing Seven Sirens, advertising Seven Sirens in theaters and producing other WayForward projects all without a Kickstarter is a sign that our girl is in. It's hard to overlook all of this as I think it will lead to something big even if it's not Shantae in Smash. I think it's time the Shantae brand get's the recognition it rightfully deserves among the wider audience and I believe that is what is going to happen within the next few years. Our girl will rise to become a real star and not just a big face of the Indies. The future of the Shantae series is looking brighter than ever.
I've shown it before but I'll mention it again, the little song Power of the Stars from Mario Party to me fits Shantae's inclusion into Smash.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I honestly couldn't care less that Sephiroth killed that leak. What Sephiroth does succeed in doing is add further weight to my personal theory that Masahiro Sakurai ignores hugely popular characters in the video game industry, like Crash Bandicoot and Rayman, in favour of characters that can be considered "unexpected" and seem less likely in the eyes of others, like Joker (never appeared on a Nintendo console), Banjo-Kazooie (never appeared since 2008) etc.
But you were HOPING that Crash would be Fighter 8, because that leak also mentioned Shantae. Even though it was painfully obvious from the get-go that it was fake because it listed them as CPs 7 and 8, instead of 8 and 9, but you tried to convince yourself that that was only a typo, before the leak was officially proven wrong by Sephiroth's reveal.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
But you were HOPING that Crash would be Fighter 8, because that leak also mentioned Shantae. Even though it was painfully obvious from the get-go that it was fake because it listed them as CPs 7 and 8, instead of 8 and 9, but you tried to convince yourself that that was only a typo, before the leak was officially proven wrong by Sephiroth's reveal.
That last part was due to Shinuto saying it was a typo. I was just listening to what he had to say.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Loll I don't believe spirit events deconfirm XD
I’m with you on this, but it’s pretty close to it logistically. Like, after adding in Resident Evil spirits in a spirit event during FP1, did anyone think Leon or Chris would come for that fighter pass? Probably not, since they likely would have just... waited for the character.

It’s a bit more gray with first party franchises - something like Mario and Pokemon can just get away with that since there’s so much to pull from with basically no legal negotiations to go through; but to go through the process of getting the rights to characters and introducing them to Smash for a spirit event seems like reason enough to say they’re probably not coming as a playable character for a while.

And there’s no spirit event for Seven Sirens or all of Shantae’s games releasing on the switch so hey, point in our favor!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I’m with you on this, but it’s pretty close to it logistically. Like, after adding in Resident Evil spirits in a spirit event during FP1, did anyone think Leon or Chris would come for that fighter pass? Probably not, since they likely would have just... waited for the character.

It’s a bit more gray with first party franchises - something like Mario and Pokemon can just get away with that since there’s so much to pull from with basically no legal negotiations to go through; but to go through the process of getting the rights to characters and introducing them to Smash for a spirit event seems like reason enough to say they’re probably not coming as a playable character for a while.
Sure, if it's a timing thing, I'm willing to say within a few months at most. Nintendo can do what they want though. If they want to do a spirits event and then just use those spirits or make new ones, doesn't matter too much. But I do get that timing wise it can semi push back a dlc character's reveal at the very least.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I still doubt we'll ever get a third DLC pass. I believe Sakurai would have burned out all his steam after the pass has concluded. As of now, FP2 is Shantae's best shot at getting into the game.

I already told you that I don’t have much hopes on Shantae anymore so please stop replying to me when I talked about my lost hopes

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think it might appear either on January or February. By that time, the pre-order for the physical copy should follow.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
With Double Dragon Neon now out, do we think Shantae GBC will finally arrive on the eShop soon?
I'm more expecting the announcement that LRG will be doing a physical release of Double Dragon Neon. They seem to jump on to the chance to do any WF game they can.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Sephiroth?
NOT A POPULAR CHARACTER?!?

I don't think you know how popular FF7 and its characters are...

Top Bottom