• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey Shantae fam

I’ll be receiving Shantae And The Seven Sirens as an early Christmas present from a relative soon, idk if it’ll be on or around release day (which is today right?) but hopefully soon, and I wonder if you guys would be interesting in watching me stream it on Twitch

also, I have a couple other Shantae games in my Steam library (with the exception of Half Genie Hero) but any Shantae game is a good starting point right? I won’t be missing anything big by going out of order?
It's fine as long as you don't start with Pirate's Curse, that starts with a pretty big spoiler.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wonder if you guys would be interesting in watching me stream it on Twitch
I would be happy to watch your stream Rie. Can you post the link to your stream when it starts going live?

I won’t be missing anything big by going out of order?
Not really. There might be a couple of references from events of the previous games, but nothing too big that would spoil the experience. You can play the Shantae games in any order.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I would be happy to watch your stream Rie. Can you post the link to your stream when it starts going live?
Of course!

I was also doing a Trails in the Sky stream series earlier this year but it might be best to reboot it. I’ll post those links in the Adol & Estelle threads

as well as any stream series corresponding to a Smash hopeful. I did a Famicom Detective Club II stream back in the day

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Among Us is on Switch now, so that'll make gangbusters for sure. Not to mention the Spelunky series.

Also, Cyber Shadow is getting closer to release, so I'm looking forward to that. :drflip:

It's strange how we still don't have a release date for Shantae GBC on Switch.
I didn't even notice, honestly. For the physical LRG release, it's go figure, but the digital release shouldn't be having that kind of problem.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I didn't even notice, honestly. For the physical LRG release, it's go figure, but the digital release shouldn't be having that kind of problem.
Yeah, the physical release is scheduled for Q1 2021 (which is understandable) but I don't understand what's holding them up from putting it on the eshop. It doesn't personally bother me since I preordered the special edition; I just found it to be odd.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, the physical release is scheduled for Q1 2021 (which is understandable) but I don't understand what's holding them up from putting it on the eshop. It doesn't personally bother me since I preordered the special edition; I just found it to be odd.
At any rate, it's good enough a reason to think it's odd, since it is a pretty old game that shouldn't be causing any porting issues.

Probably just waiting for any progress on the Xtreme Sports re-release, since I haven't heard any word on that as of yet.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Hmm, perhaps they're waiting to tie it into Fighters Pass 9 for when that character gets announced... I wonder if...
It is odd that they're waiting a while to release that game on the Switch. I've been playing it for the first time on my 3DS recently, so I don't know why it would be any trouble to get it on the Switch's eShop. Maybe they just simply wanna release it when the physical version drops for whatever reason.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, perhaps they're waiting to tie it into Fighters Pass 9 for when that character gets announced... I wonder if...
It is odd that they're waiting a while to release that game on the Switch. I've been playing it for the first time on my 3DS recently, so I don't know why it would be any trouble to get it on the Switch's eShop. Maybe they just simply wanna release it when the physical version drops for whatever reason.
That's what I'm wondering too.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
At any rate, it's good enough a reason to think it's odd, since it is a pretty old game that shouldn't be causing any porting issues.
The only reason I can think of, is the Advanced Feature.

The 3DS version of Shantae didn't have it.
But they promised the Switch version would have it.

If that's not it, then I dunno... X_X

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Hey everyone. Just found out on the Shantae Subreddit that Best Buy is selling un numbered versions of the physical Seven Sirens. They have done this with many of the more high profile LRG releases.

So if yu didn't get one with the original preorders, you may have a chance now. And even if not, it's cool that Shantae is a big enough release for Best Buy to want to sell her game in stores.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So, not a leak, but an interesting tidbit of speculation.

Sephiroth’s Sakurai Stream is coming on the 17th / 18th depending on where you live in the world, and the Nintendo twitters have already announced it.

However, on every other announcement of a Sakurai Presents that focused on one character, they have a followup tweet that explains no new fighters will be revealed.

However, there is no such additional tweet on the Sephiroth announcement. Do you think we could have a Terry on our hands where a character gets their CG trailer as a teaser but no gameplay?

Here are the tweets in question, compiled from someone on twitter, can’t recall right away.

View attachment 295315
Worth bringing this back up to say my speculation was wrong,

It was just a thought based on the twitter post, but looks like it was more clear in the Japanese post. Sephiroth and Mii Fighters only on Thursday!

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Welp, no Terry situation this time. It's gonna be hell to try and wait for the next character.
You need to learn to be patient. Hell, I’ve been a Shantae fan for 3 years and start wanting her in Smash for 2 years and I’m not complaining about it. Most of Shantae or Shantae/Smash fans were not complaining like you like look at yourself. 8 months since you’re a Shantae fan and already complain. Look at Geno fans for more than 10 years or less idk even Banjo and Kazooie fans too.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I have a real bad feeling about this.
The corporate way of "Safety" is pretty much never good. X_X
Indeed. "Safety" and the other buzzwords usually means more Censorship, less privacy and higher prices for less content.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Indeed. "Safety" and the other buzzwords usually means more Censorship, less privacy and higher prices for less content.
Yup, that's what I'm concerned about.

Heck, even Dinosaurs understood this.
And that was from the 90s.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Hey everybody, I'm back and feeling so much more rested! Also, I just saw an article from My Nintendo News that said the "Sakurai Presents Sephiroth" video will be roughly 35 minutes long! 😍
And they also said there will be no more character reveals during the presentation.
Sorry to disappoint, if you were hoping for that.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I wasn't expecting any new character reveals during this presentation. If there was going to be one I would've expected Nintendo to announce that along with the announcement of the presentation itself. Hopefully there will be a lot of stuff to unpack in 35 minutes anyway.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm wondering how many mechanics sephi has, if it takes that long to go over them. Probably the b moves are different when he has his one-winged form. We'll see soon :)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Sephiroth may have a own gauge like Cloud and Joker's meter.

How his spells perform depend on charge like Hero's non-holdable spells like zap and woosh.

Playstyle is like his intimidating boss fight with extremely long range, but has openings with work arounds. Players needs to have knowledge to defeat this super boss with his extreme long range and magic. (Which is unlimited. Canon info.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sephiroth may have a own gauge like Cloud and Joker's meter.

How his spells perform depend on charge like Hero's non-holdable spells like zap and woosh.

Playstyle is like his intimidating boss fight with extremely long range, but has openings with work arounds. Players needs to have knowledge to defeat this super boss with his extreme long range and magic. (Which is unlimited. Canon info.)
Yeah I think that's probably correct.

The slashes we saw him do is up b, and we saw curse, as well as an explosion, plus counter. That's probably all his b moves, but two of them we saw in his winged form, so I'm not sure if the explosion was a different one or how curse changes when he changes form.
All things I'll be curious about knowing.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah I think that's probably correct.

The slashes we saw him do is up b, and we saw curse, as well as an explosion, plus counter. That's probably all his b moves, but two of them we saw in his winged form, so I'm not sure if the explosion was a different one or how curse changes when he changes form.
All things I'll be curious about knowing.
That is Shadow Flare and the highest spell form of firaga maybe.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That is Shadow Flare and the highest spell form of firaga maybe.
Cool. I don't know if I ever saw it. I stopped playing ff7 right before fighting sephiroth lol.
I still did everything else in the world. But that's cool. So either curse turns into that, or they're side b and neutral b.

Whether I buy sephi or not all comes down to sakurai showing me how he plays :p

Dukefire

Smash Master
Cool. I don't know if I ever saw it. I stopped playing ff7 right before fighting sephiroth lol.
I still did everything else in the world. But that's cool. So either curse turns into that, or they're side b and neutral b.

Whether I buy sephi or not all comes down to sakurai showing me how he plays :p
Last one, the supposed side b is more like the up b since there was an arrow before octoslash was performed

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last one, the supposed side b is more like the up b since there was an arrow before octoslash was performed
That's what I said earlier :p It's the up b, which is why curse and shadow flair may be neutral b and side b.

Top Bottom