• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Are we talking about the actual original version from the classic game or the Advent Children version used in the trailer? Hero had the orchestral version of Adventure playing in it but we only got MIDIs in the end. Wouldn't surprise me if legal red tape strikes again here.
It's the Advent Children version but usually Sakurai or whoever likes adding their own personal touches that I thought they thought it was perfect already but legal reasons could be why also.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Are we talking about the actual original version from the classic game or the Advent Children version used in the trailer? Hero had the orchestral version of Adventure playing in it but we only got MIDIs in the end. Wouldn't surprise me if legal red tape strikes again here.

The DLC characters that have had no remixes include: Cloud (of course), Bayonetta if you don't count the instrumental (lyric-less) versions of the battle themes, Hero and I think Terry (all old classics).
It probably will be less of an issue this time, since they got new composers for FF7R who assisted Uematsu (who is more or less freelance at this point), so they might have gotten his blessing.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
And it lastest far longer than it needed too with a whopping 5 seasons.
Five seasons wasn't too uncommon back then. That was the era in animation that studios were more likely to ride a popular show far too long as opposed to animated shows these days. A lot of people call it Spongebob Syndrome where if a show isn't an instant hit, the studio would rather drop it and try again with another show. All of them waiting to find the next show that they can milk forever like the aforementioned sponge.

But back when Jackie Chan Adventures was airing, most series could count on at least three seasons before the studio was ready to give up on it. I honestly miss those times because far too many great shows got squashed after their first season because of "poor toy sales" or such.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Five seasons wasn't too uncommon back then. That was the era in animation that studios were more likely to ride a popular show far too long as opposed to animated shows these days. A lot of people call it Spongebob Syndrome where if a show isn't an instant hit, the studio would rather drop it and try again with another show. All of them waiting to find the next show that they can milk forever like the aforementioned sponge.

But back when Jackie Chan Adventures was airing, most series could count on at least three seasons before the studio was ready to give up on it. I honestly miss those times because far too many great shows got squashed after their first season because of "poor toy sales" or such.
Still makes me upset that Cartoon Network hasn't done Season 6 of the original Teen Titans yet as the last episode in Season 5 ended on a cliffhanger that brought way more questions than answers.

Random Smash facts by PushDustin about Shantae and Risky Boots’s spirit: https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1338319060065456134?s=20
I don't get it, this is common knowledge to us.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Still makes me upset that Cartoon Network hasn't done Season 6 of the original Teen Titans yet as the last episode in Season 5 ended on a cliffhanger that brought way more questions than answers.

You don’t have to get it. I’m just sharing random Smash facts. I know this is about Shantae’s spirit but just doing it for fun

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like indie games, and there are ones I've never seen in these, since I don't always keep up, so definitely going to watch it. I might have to do it after i get back from an appointment though.

And, half the week passed fast. Gonna see Sakurai soon :)

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I know this is kinda sudden, but I'm gonna be taking a few days off from Smashboards and the internet. I've been on here quite a bit since the Sephiroth reveal and unfortunately I haven't slept very well over the last 3 or 4 days, and it's caused my anxiety to go up. Work for me today has been a little rough due to me being so tired and stressed, so I'm gonna bow out for a few days to try and rest up and sleep. I'll be back hopefully Thursday to talk about the stuff in the Sephiroth presentation with you all. See you all later.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Shouldn't Nintendo be making one announcement per week? Why are they making two in the same week? Indie World tomorrow then Sephiroth's presentation.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Shouldn't Nintendo be making one announcement per week? Why are they making two in the same week? Indie World tomorrow then Sephiroth's presentation.
Nintendo doesn’t abide by any strict schedule aside from following the fiscal year. Sometimes there’s multiple focus directs in a week, sometimes there’s nothing for months.

Staarih

Smash Master
Next week is Christmas week so if they have something on hold, this is the week for it. Then it's likely silence until next year.

Nintendo doesn’t abide by any strict schedule aside from following the fiscal year. Sometimes there’s multiple focus directs in a week, sometimes there’s nothing for months.
And this too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To put it bluntly, I didn't expect to hear anything new from them (maybe a Partner Showcase on January at best) until after Super Mario 3D World releases on February. So, this is certainly a "wait, what!?" moment for me.

Also, Alwa's Awakening will be getting an actual NES port next year, finally. :banjohere:

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
To put it bluntly, I didn't expect to hear anything new from them (maybe a Partner Showcase on January at best) until after Super Mario 3D World releases on February. So, this is certainly a "wait, what!?" moment for me.
Actually to add on to this, I would expect to see a 3D World focused mini direct in January because we really still don’t know much about the game. It was announced, we got a 15 second trailer at TGA... that’s it.

Now, I would HOPE for a full direct in January to outline 2021 and with a 3D World segment in it... but that’s pretty unlikely.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Also, Alwa's Awakening will be getting an actual NES port next year, finally. :banjohere:
Ah you reminded me I bought it and didnt even play it yet :O I should sometime. I just have too many games XD

It is a weird time for an indie showcase, but they just do something when they feel it's time I guess ;p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Actually to add on to this, I would expect to see a 3D World focused mini direct in January because we really still don’t know much about the game. It was announced, we got a 15 second trailer at TGA... that’s it.

Now, I would HOPE for a full direct in January to outline 2021 and with a 3D World segment in it... but that’s pretty unlikely.
Yeah, I think that Nintendo will continue to focus on the Mario 35th celebration, but what I find pretty strange is that apart from SM3DW, there is nothing else in terms of Mario events or games for the next three months. I have a sneaking suspicion that we might hear something around the time of the next amiibo batch, but I'll have to wait some more to be 99% sure about it.

Ah you reminded me I bought it and didnt even play it yet :O I should sometime. I just have too many games XD

It is a weird time for an indie showcase, but they just do something when they feel it's time I guess ;p
Just like how WayForward chooses to announce an exclusive Switch port for Double Dragon Neon by themselves instead of at the VGAs.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know about you guys, but I was a little disappointed that the Jins wasn't brought back in Seven Sirens since it was the most genie like game with the Seven Sirens and all.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't know about you guys, but I was a little disappointed that the Jins wasn't brought back in Seven Sirens since it was the most genie like game with the Seven Sirens and all.
If anything, the game is the calm before the storm, just as Risky's Revenge was. The ending has something that can easily springboard to a new adventure looking through the past.

Nevertheless, I'm having more fun brainstorming what our current stars the Sirens could do following their defeats. It helps that most of them have just enough personality to imply interests outside of villainy.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Has Wayforward or the Shantae series ever shown up in one of these Nintendo Indie Directs? I feel like I'm always let down by the lack of anything from them in these. Also, how Indie is Wayforward at this point? It seems like they walk the line between being an Indie studio and 3rd party studio at this point.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If anything, the game is the calm before the storm, just as Risky's Revenge was. The ending has something that can easily springboard to a new adventure looking through the past.

Nevertheless, I'm having more fun brainstorming what our current stars the Sirens could do following their defeats. It helps that most of them have just enough personality to imply interests outside of villainy.
Maybe they're saving the Jins as the big baddies in the game when they finally introduce Shantae's mother.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Has Wayforward or the Shantae series ever shown up in one of these Nintendo Indie Directs? I feel like I'm always let down by the lack of anything from them in these. Also, how Indie is Wayforward at this point? It seems like they walk the line between being an Indie studio and 3rd party studio at this point.
The last time Nintendo mentioned something about Shantae was about Half-Genie Hero on Switch, during a regular direct. You can find trailers for Seven Sirens on their YouTube page, though.
Maybe they're saving the Jins as the big baddies in the game when they finally introduce Shantae's mother.
Or you know, they could just remain on the cutting-room floor for eternity simply because Wayforward has what they feel to be more interesting concepts in mind. Sheesh.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The last time Nintendo mentioned something about Shantae was about Half-Genie Hero on Switch, during a regular direct. You can find trailers for Seven Sirens on their YouTube page, though.

Or you know, they could just remain on the cutting-room floor for eternity simply because Wayforward has what they feel to be more interesting concepts in mind. Sheesh.
Yeah, but the Jins are a interesting concept to bring back especially as something like the final antagonists in the series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, the Shantae series is still going until further notice, so it's too early to assume they'll scrap everything. After all, it took 5 games to get half-genies with their own specialties. WF won't forget.

Indie in the sense that they seldom rely on Nintendo to promote their things at all. I guess you could say they fit the definition far more than many other indie developers.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Yeah, Teen Titans was victim to new policy that came when all the top positions at CN changed. The new management had every existing show basically repitch itself along with all the new pilots. That's why both TT and Justice League had final episodes that worked as a finale but also had a "Don't you want to see what happens next?" feel to them. Particularly with both of them showing of their very extensive roster of heroes.

Although I would have loved a season 6, I do think Things Change was a good finale. Yes it raised a few questions (was it Terra, if so how did she survive? What's this matter shifting villain? Why was that decoy Sladebot active?) at the same time it was kind of the best way to end a show that maybe shouldn't have ended yet. The entire episode is going through the stages of grief both literally for the characters, but metaphorically for the audience and showrunners. And it's overlying theme of change being a constant gives a satisfying conflict to the episode. Basically it's saying that it's a bummer it's ending, but everything would end at some point and it's not the end of the world. This thing you enjoyed is over, but there will be other things you enjoy after it and that's ok.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Now you know how I felt about the lack of progress for Udon's artbook.
In all fairness, at least the Udon book has made considerable progress. I don't think we even have a teaser image of the Shantae Totaku yet, most likely due to the pandemic slowing manufacturing down to a slug-like pace.

This is also pretty good, because both WayForward and Matt Bozon commented on it (mainly to joke the fact Shantae escaped the TV, and a Parappa reference)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, Teen Titans was victim to new policy that came when all the top positions at CN changed. The new management had every existing show basically repitch itself along with all the new pilots. That's why both TT and Justice League had final episodes that worked as a finale but also had a "Don't you want to see what happens next?" feel to them. Particularly with both of them showing of their very extensive roster of heroes.

Although I would have loved a season 6, I do think Things Change was a good finale. Yes it raised a few questions (was it Terra, if so how did she survive? What's this matter shifting villain? Why was that decoy Sladebot active?) at the same time it was kind of the best way to end a show that maybe shouldn't have ended yet. The entire episode is going through the stages of grief both literally for the characters, but metaphorically for the audience and showrunners. And it's overlying theme of change being a constant gives a satisfying conflict to the episode. Basically it's saying that it's a bummer it's ending, but everything would end at some point and it's not the end of the world. This thing you enjoyed is over, but there will be other things you enjoy after it and that's ok.
Thing is so, Season 5 really did end on a cliffhanger as the creator of the animated series mentioned in a interview that Slade was behind what was going on with that robot and he was suppose to team up with the Brotherhood of Evil. But Cartoon Network cut 7 episodes out of Season 5 which is why it ended how it did since there was suppose to be more episodes. Cartoon Network wanted it off the air because they thought the original series ratings wasn't good enough.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey Shantae fam

I’ll be receiving Shantae And The Seven Sirens as an early Christmas present from a relative soon, idk if it’ll be on or around release day (which is today right?) but hopefully soon, and I wonder if you guys would be interesting in watching me stream it on Twitch

also, I have a couple other Shantae games in my Steam library (with the exception of Half Genie Hero) but any Shantae game is a good starting point right? I won’t be missing anything big by going out of order?

Top Bottom