• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, just like Half Genie Hero of the Giga Mermaid. The Empress in her appearance and the Giant form can affect the rating with the magical Armor Pieces.

Of course, the pants can change either translucent or opaque anytime.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, people that needs to review the game to give its rating. They need an early copy to see the entire game and its contents.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Don't forget that Steve has shot down the "Indies cannot be Fighters" fan rule thanks to him being a former indie character. That is the final nail in the coffin for everyone gatekeeping Shantae, right up there with Min-Min shooting down the "Spirits deconfirm" fan rule.
What about "must be popular in Japan" rule?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Guess that means they’re removing all the Metroid reps.

...No seriously, are people trying to make that a “rule” now?
That's not a rule.
Tell that to all those people who say characters like Rayman is very unlikely due to Japanese factor

Characters like Banjo and Little Mac come in. They say...
"Oh! Banjo was pretty popular back in Japan! Punch Out and Metroid are Nintendo IP, so they don't count!"
BTW, someone at Unlikely Newcomer wiki said that Metroid is popular in Japan. I haven't checked the number to confirm that... I'm lazy to search it myself.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Tell that to all those people who say characters like Rayman is very unlikely due to Japanese factor

Characters like Banjo and Little Mac come in. They say...
"Oh! Banjo was pretty popular back in Japan! Punch Out and Metroid are Nintendo IP, so they don't count!"
BTW, someone at Unlikely Newcomer wiki said that Metroid is popular in Japan. I haven't checked the number to confirm that... I'm lazy to search it myself.
Shantae has done very well in Japan. Nuff said.

Staarih

Smash Master
I think the "must be popular in Japan" mostly applies to Western characters. As such, Metroid and Punch Out and the likes get a pass even if they're more popular in the west, as they're Nintendo-owned properties and inherently in a better position than Western third parties to begin with. I still wouldn't count it a rule necessarily: we've seen than fan demand/push also has a big impact even for smaller games.

How well? Proof? I'm just curious. I just don't like leaving details behind.
I think "very well" is maybe exaggerating a little (though it's a subjective thing I guess). Shantae is definitely growing in Japan but I feel like its still finding its place there... though I don't have any "proof" either towards or against this so hard to judge the actual situation haha. Hopefully it'll keep on growing.
Getting in Smash would skyrocket her success obviously.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Shantae actually had a good impression on Japan. While Shovel Knight straight up bombed there.
So if the japanese factor is indeed a thing, then Shantae definitely has that going for her.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Shantae actually had a good impression on Japan. While Shovel Knight straight up bombed there.
So if the japanese factor is indeed a thing, then Shantae definitely has that going for her.
How did Shovel Knight bomb in Japan? I dunno, I'd personally give credit where credit is due, Shovel Knight did get in as an AT in Ultimate after all.

Sales-wise, here's the latest figures I've found regarding Japan:
Shovel Knight (3DS): 15.367
Shantae: Pirate's Curse (3DS): 8.528
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (NSW + PS4): 6.328 + 3.899 (total 10.227)

To me, the numbers are quite on-par with each other. Anyway, there's really no competition between the two and one should not effect the other and vice versa, so no need to place them as competition. I think both of them have good impression in Japan, but have much desire for larger growth as well.
What Shantae does go for her atm is longevity and activity (Seven Sirens having just come out). Though Shovel Knight does seem to have some projects underway as well.

Staarih

Smash Master
A friend of mine told me that when the Shovel Knight AT was revealed, Japanese audiences were confused and asked where Shantae was.
I can totally see that. But let's be real, even if the roles were reversed, quite a few would have likely been confused at Shantae popping up in a similar manner as well, as her games just are that small still. I feel her presence has definitely risen within the Smash communities around the world, but not so much outside of that. But she's growing slowly and steadily, which is reassuring.

Her reveal in Smash would be so glorious though, even with some of the confusion haha. I'd love her popularity to expand.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I can totally see that. But let's be real, even if the roles were reversed, quite a few would have likely been confused at Shantae popping up in a similar manner as well, as her games just are that small still. I feel her presence has definitely risen within the Smash communities around the world, but not so much outside of that. But she's growing slowly and steadily, which is reassuring.

Her reveal in Smash would be so glorious though, even with some of the confusion haha. I'd love her popularity to expand.
Shantae in Smash is the perfect popularity booster.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So I came up with some predictions for a potential Shantae Challenger Pack! 😃

Fighter: Shantae (either Pirate's Curse or Seven Sirens design)
Stage: Scuttle Town
Music: Burning Town (Remix/Medley), We Love Burning Town, Boss Battle (Pirate's Curse), Scuttle Town (Pirate's Curse), Streamworks, Rave in the Grave, Back to the Roots, Scorching Dunes, Pirate Master, Dance Through the Danger, Neo Burning Town, Boss Battle (Half-Genie Hero), Mermaid Factory, Tassel Tower Remains, Boss Battle (Seven Sirens) and Ultra Empress Siren.
New Spirits: Tinkerbat, Sky, Bolo, Rottytops, Mimic, Squid Baron, Ammo Baron, and Harmony, Plink, Vera and Zapple as a single spirit.

Let me know what you all think.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
As far as I see, Shantae is still "cult anime series" level of niche across the board. Known enough in some circles, but hasn't really broken into the mainstream. Didn't even get a Nendoroid yet.
are Nendoroid's like the Japan version of Funko Pop's? I had never heard of them until I browsed the Crash Bandicoot forum here and saw he was getting one.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
So guys, we did it. We have made it past October and now we are in November. Just one month away from December, and with that, The Game Awards 2020. Hopefully our favourite genie girl is revealed by then.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
So guys, we did it. We have made it past October and now we are in November. Just one month away from December, and with that, The Game Awards 2020. Hopefully our favourite genie girl is revealed by then.
Not to be a pessimist but I don't think she's known enough to warrant a game awards announcement. I'm almost 100% sure it's Ryu.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Not to be a pessimist but I don't think she's known enough to warrant a game awards announcement. I'm almost 100% sure it's Ryu.
You never know though. It could be like last year and there's no Smash announcements at all at the Game Awards.

But... I'm feeling crazy this time, so I'm predicting a double reveal for Ryu Hayabusa and Crash Bandicoot at TGA 2020 like Hero and Banjo & Kazooie at E3 2019! 😁

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing you lot overlooked: when is the Mario 35 tournament for Smash Ultimate? It's still yet to be scheduled, and we only have two months left before the year ends.

I wouldn't overlook the possibility of a Mario character, whoever they may be.

are Nendoroid's like the Japan version of Funko Pop's? I had never heard of them until I browsed the Crash Bandicoot forum here and saw he was getting one.
Somewhat, but less cheaply made and they actually come with accessories and extra parts for posing.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I still have my doubts that Shantae will be a fighter period, much less the next one.

Wish I had some of y'alls optimism about her chances lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nah I don't think Ryu will make it in. Discussed, yes, but really don't think it'll happen.
Wouldn't surprise me. The way that Koei Tecmo content is handled in Ultimate is quite weird for a company that is seemingly on good terms with Nintendo.
have content from Fatal Frame
nothing from any actual Nintendo collaborations like Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors
If it weren't for :ultbyleth:, one would think they were being hard to work with.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I still have my doubts that Shantae will be a fighter period, much less the next one.

Wish I had some of y'alls optimism about her chances lol.
After it was announced all her games were coming to Switch, when Min-Min and Steve broke two fan rules used against her (Spirits deconfirm and Indies cannot be Fighters), and combine that with the fact that this year is Shantae's time to shine in terms of popularity, I have no reason to doubt that she'll be playable, much less the eighth. Shantae for Smash is stronger than ever.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
After it was announced all her games were coming to Switch, when Min-Min and Steve broke two fan rules used against her (Spirits deconfirm and Indies cannot be Fighters), and combine that with the fact that this year is Shantae's time to shine in terms of popularity, I have no reason to doubt that she'll be playable, much less the eighth. Shantae for Smash is stronger than ever.
I'd love for you to be right about this.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You remind me of how some people used to be before the entire speculation cycle. You must be a newbie to it and expectations :p

That said, I'm open to anything. It's just expectations.. well, it should be obvious after a while.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Wouldn't surprise me. The way that Koei Tecmo content is handled in Ultimate is quite weird for a company that is seemingly on good terms with Nintendo.

If it weren't for :ultbyleth:, one would think they were being hard to work with.
Honestly, I think the name might also be an issue.
We already have Ryu from Street Fighter.
And Smash never uses surnames or similar things.
Terry Bogard is just called Terry, while he is called by his full name in Fatal Fury and King of Fighters.
Solid Snake is just called Snake. Granted, most characters just refer to him as Snake in the MGS games too. But still...

Top Bottom