• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It'd make no sense that 4chan would have list that was personally for sakurai :p

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yet the first thing the thread does when one is seen is do this.

Yeah, no kidding.

Another thing I've noticed is that we keep getting back to old arguments, that we had countless times already.
Like the "CERO" argument or "Shantae's popularity in Japan".
How often do we have to keep going through this? :/

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Yeah, no kidding.

Another thing I've noticed is that we keep getting back to old arguments, that we had countless times already.
I'm admittedly new to the forum, which was why I asked the CERO question the other day :p

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
TDDolphin TDDolphin Shantae was on the list, among other characters such as Terry Bogard, a character nobody expected to be in Smash, as well as Byleth as I previously mentioned. Banjo was there too. However, there was no sign of Geno at all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, no kidding.

Could be worse, the :ultbanjokazooie: thread had an on and off "war" with Steve fans for a good while.

As patient as I am, I'll feel so much catharsis if the rut finally breaks.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
huh, haven't been here in ages, did I miss something? I just know that Know your meme has had a flood of shantae images the last few days. not sure if some leak happened...

Also... has anyone else gotten their shantae plush and other stuff for the limited run games thing for Seven sirens? I still haven;t

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fair enough. Matt did say he wanted this game to be a good entry foe newcomers. I hope 6 brings in more story/character development because the Sirens were wasted. They felt like monsters of the week (reminded me of the zetis from sonic lost world)
So is the Pirate Master and his "sources of evil" (his influence on the present begins and ends in the game he's in, and those bosses have even less backstory and personality to them. Heck, they're so inconsequential Squid Baron serves as an adequate replacement), but no one complains about that.

Again, the speedrun photo at least suggests the possibility of the Sirens returning at some point.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Min-Min not being on the list can be explained. First off, Sakurai personally wanted Ninjara, but Yabuki insisted that Min-Min should get in. Second, I believe the list was made in 2017, around Byleth's time, as he is on the list and Three Houses was in development at the time. ARMS! was just a recently released game on a recently released console. There is no way that Smash discussion was gonna start the moment ARMS! was created. They had to give it time, and eventually they did. Three years later, we got Min-Min.

So there you have it. That's why Min-Min isn't on the list.
...I think you’re pulling some of these points out of thin air.
For one, Sakurai didn’t say he originally wanted Ninjara, the showcase says he was considering Min Min OR Ninjara (more than likely because they were the winner and runner up respectively of the 8 month long ARMS popularity tournament, there’s no way it was that coincidental).
Secondly, the list would have been most likely made in 2018, not 2017. The first wave of DLC was likely decided on as the game was wrapping up production.
And third, the biggest issue with the list isn’t that Min Min isn’t on it. It’s that they don’t mention ARMS at all. Not even “an arms rep” or “the winner of the party crash bash”. They listed over 40 characters. If you gave me 40 guesses I bet I could guess the two fighters passes while being allowed to miss on one character.
That’s what makes the leak unreliable.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
...I think you’re pulling some of these points out of thin air.
For one, Sakurai didn’t say he originally wanted Ninjara, the showcase says he was considering Min Min OR Ninjara (more than likely because they were the winner and runner up respectively of the 8 month long ARMS popularity tournament, there’s no way it was that coincidental).
Secondly, the list would have been most likely made in 2018, not 2017. The first wave of DLC was likely decided on as the game was wrapping up production.
And third, the biggest issue with the list isn’t that Min Min isn’t on it. It’s that they don’t mention ARMS at all. Not even “an arms rep” or “the winner of the party crash bash”. They listed over 40 characters. If you gave me 40 guesses I bet I could guess the two fighters passes while being allowed to miss on one character.
That’s what makes the leak unreliable.
I understand where you are going with this. 2018 sounds more reasonable than 2017. But would Nintendo really have considered an ARMS! rep for Smash a year after it was released? Also, did that list mention characters from the base game like K. Rool and Ridley?

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Meh, they were the same to me as the Ocarina-Songs from the Zelda-games.
Never got why they were so hated.
Are people that impatient these days?
Yeah, I think that's what it is. I've listened to reviews that state the mechanic is tedious at times. I mean, I do sort of get it. Imagine playing breath of the wild and every time you wanted to use the hero abilities or climb a mountain (dear God) you had to pause the game for a few secs. I don't think it's the inconvenience people make it out to be, but I sort of get it. That's why people tend to cling to PC because it implemented the skills without having to stop the game.

Oh hecc an unpopular opinion:

I'm tired of hearing people say Pirate's Curse is the best or it's their favourite. Yeah, I know that it's their opinion, and I'm glad that people enjoy it. But I keep hearing it all the time. It's become an endless cycle of circlejerking and it's really annoying. That's why I'm hoping Shantae 6 has the power to surpass Pirate's Curse. To do that, WayForward must come up with something really grand and large scale or they can salvage elements from the cancelled GBA game, which was already really grand and large scale to begin with, and put them into Shantae 6.
The hipster in me agrees. In my opinion the only leg up PC has over SS is the story was more memorable and the character development was prime (especially for Rotty).

My only issue with SS was how much backtracking I had to. Going through every room and trying all of the abilities to ensure I got 100% was a bit much, but I still had an overall fun experience.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
I understand where you are going with this. 2018 sounds more reasonable than 2017. But would Nintendo really have considered an ARMS! rep for Smash a year after it was released? Also, did that list mention characters from the base game like K. Rool and Ridley?
The list doesn't mention any base game characters. Here it is for reference: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/464169792/#

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Ah, thanks.
Wow. Sure are a lot of angry people in that comment section XD It is an impressive list, and besides Min Min and Pirahna Plant, every DLC character released so far is on there, as are some of my most wanted fighters like Shantae, Rex, Ryu and Crash. Whether it's a coincidence or not though, or flat out fake, I'm not sure. I'm gonna take it with a grain of salt just to be safe.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Wow. Sure are a lot of angry people in that comment section XD It is an impressive list, and besides Min Min and Pirahna Plant, every DLC character released so far is on there, as are some of my most wanted fighters like Shantae, Rex, Ryu and Crash. Whether it's a coincidence or not though, or flat out fake, I'm not sure. I'm gonna take it with a grain of salt just to be safe.
I think the list could be coincidental but I will mention Plant was likely not on the list since it was already revealed and was a bonus than a Fighters Pass character.

As for Min Min, the fact that an ARMS character wasn't mentioned is a bit strange, but considering Sakurai said ARMS (and XB2) came out after planning began, the poster might've felt it unnecessary to include ARMS... but then again Rex is on the list so I'm gonna have to call bogus on the list.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The list doesn't mention any base game characters. Here it is for reference: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/464169792/#
Seeing Crono there is already a tell that it's fake. Only fans think Crono can make it in, the company has no stake in that, and why we got dragon quest, to promote it, especially in the west.

And DQ isn't mentioned in there at all. Seeing Terra getting some attention is nice I guess tho XD

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Seeing Crono there is already a tell that it's fake. Only fans think Crono can make it in, the company has no stake in that, and why we got dragon quest, to promote it, especially in the west.

And DQ isn't mentioned in there at all. Seeing Terra getting some attention is nice I guess tho XD
Actually, DQ is mentioned... but only Erdrick and the Luminary. So not only does it ignore Eight and Solo, but it uses the English name for Erdrick instead of Arusu. Which just makes it sound more like they were following leak trends at the time to say it was going to be either the most famous DQ hero or the most recent one, instead of a collection of 4.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Actually, DQ is mentioned... but only Erdrick and the Luminary. So not only does it ignore Eight and Solo, but it uses the English name for Erdrick instead of Arusu. Which just makes it sound more like they were following leak trends at the time to say it was going to be either the most famous DQ hero or the most recent one, instead of a collection of 4.
Ah I guess I missed it.
Erdrick was definitely speculated about for quite a while. Though the list would've been in japanese, But they're known as Roto/Loto most of the time, not Arusu.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I was talking about that Apocalypso guy earlier, and now I found out that on October 30th, he did some contemplating and has decided to hop back into the Shantae for Smash train, bringing back his speculation videos in the process. Well, I guess his original plan didn't last very long.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just saw that Linkle is in the list. Now, I'd love to have female link in the game :D But I really really don't think it would happen as a dlc character.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Can someone show me where that list is? I'm getting lost here.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The one thing on this list that to me gives it 'some' weight, is Terry. Everyone else was speculated about including by leakers, but Terry wasn't and came out of left field really. So I won't totally discount it, but besides him it's easy to think of the list as a fake one.

Can someone show me where that list is? I'm getting lost here.
It's literally just a few posts up on this page.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For the list of those we already know as fighters.
Erdrick and Luminary: Hero from DQ III, V, VIII, XI
Joker: Game Awards reveal in 2018 to Steal the Show
Monster Hunter: Rathalos as Assist Trophy and Boss. (May go further in smash DLC, but will have to wait.)
Terry Bogard: Faces the Fury
Byleth: Joins Smash House
Heihachi: Mii Costume from Smash 4 returns
Banjo & Kazooie: Raring to go

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Also... has anyone else gotten their shantae plush and other stuff for the limited run games thing for Seven sirens? I still haven;t
I haven't gotten anything yet either. Presumably LRG has been waiting on production for the CE sets of the physical version, and that's why there's been delays. All the plushie orders that were bundled with a physical version seem to have gotten delayed too, while the people who ordered just the plushie have gotten it already.

But the head of LRG tweeted recently that the Collectors editions finally came in recently. And on my order page the CE finally changed from "In Production" to "On deck" indicating that it's in their warehouse. So hopefully they'll be starting shipping within the next two weeks.

2020-11-03.png

Funny how things work out, I think I'm gonna be getting the physical version of Indivisible and the physical version of Seven Sirens around the same time lol.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, I think that's what it is. I've listened to reviews that state the mechanic is tedious at times. I mean, I do sort of get it. Imagine playing breath of the wild and every time you wanted to use the hero abilities or climb a mountain (dear God) you had to pause the game for a few secs. I don't think it's the inconvenience people make it out to be, but I sort of get it. That's why people tend to cling to PC because it implemented the skills without having to stop the game.

The hipster in me agrees. In my opinion the only leg up PC has over SS is the story was more memorable and the character development was prime (especially for Rotty).

My only issue with SS was how much backtracking I had to. Going through every room and trying all of the abilities to ensure I got 100% was a bit much, but I still had an overall fun experience.
It isn't just that instant abilities are faster, the setup also allows you to fluidly transition between them and perform stunts not possible otherwise. The classic forms might individually be more capable than their counterparts, but the most you can really do with them is move Shantae to a better position for a few quick whips, if it doesn't allow for cheese of some sort (Harpy).

Pirate's Curse had two games building up to it, of course the story beats and developments are going to hit harder than a game coming off of what is essentially a filler episode.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not surprised that WF didn't want to bring up that game. It looks really bad on concept for the gameplay and lack of taste to keep its longevity going even with kids. I'll gladly continue playing the other games WF made with taste and unique concepts.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not surprised that WF didn't want to bring up that game. It looks really bad on concept for the gameplay and lack of taste to keep its longevity going even with kids. I'll gladly continue playing the other games WF made with taste and unique concepts.
The only worth that game has is having WF dip their toes into making a 3D game. Not the best learning experience, even then.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
It’s a paycheck game sadly. A lot of Wayforward’s licensed games end up pretty decent, but there’s a lot of factors beyond the developer’s immediate control that can determine a licensed game’s quality, not the least of which include time, budget, and input from the parent company licensing out the property.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, though fans expect WF to eventually do a traditional 3D platformer ala Super :ultmario: 64 and :ultbanjokazooie: in the future.
Well if WayForward's opinion on a 3D-Shantae game hasn't changed, then we will probably not see our girl in 3D-Model form anytime soon.
Unless of course, she makes it into Smash.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
They would have a better time with a team that can help with Shantae's 3D model and a possible insight for 3D creation in WF's future projects.

Top Bottom