• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So I just noticed that Smash Ultimate reached 21.10 million units sold in the latest earnings report from Nintendo! Congrats game πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
And the switch has passed the NES’s lifetime sales of 62 million units and is closing in on the 3DS’s 76 million units!

In short, Nintendo is Nintendoomed and is going to become a 3rd party developer next gen /sarcasm

edit: I forgot the mandatory Nintendoomed picture
8B537AD7-C70F-471E-85F3-C074159144CB.jpeg

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Most character support threads go weeks, sometimes even months without activity.

I think a little bit of silence here for a day is fine. :p
Better than Geno's where they'll talk about ****ing anything.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Well well well. Could it finally be her time to dance into the fray? https://youtu.be/OpsJr2l2tFs
Idk, the video didn't really explain anything new. He just talked about the same things that other commentators discussed about the latest Sakurai Famitsu article. I'm glad Sakurai's excited about the remaining characters. Really makes me wonder who they are...

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Idk, the video didn't really explain anything new. He just talked about the same things that other commentators discussed about the latest Sakurai Famitsu article. I'm glad Sakurai's excited about the remaining characters. Really makes me wonder who they are...
Hearing Sakurai get excited for the remaining characters is all we need to know. He never said anything about getting excited for the reveals of Min-Min and Steve. Maybe he wasn't as hyped for them as he is for the remaining Fighters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hearing Sakurai get excited for the remaining characters is all we need to know. He never said anything about getting excited for the reveals of Min-Min and Steve. Maybe he wasn't as hyped for them as he is for the remaining Fighters.
Remember that one NOA person who went "oh man!" about forthcoming DLC newcomers? He probably wasn't necessarily referring to strictly just FP1.

It's pretty vague, but it's something.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
How long ago was this? And why would they say that?
I think it was around the time of around Joker's release. It's hard to find the original article where this was said though.

Edit: Found it.

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/must-have-dlc-smash-bros-ultimate/

Mr. Sakurai and his team and everyone that works on the game – we love surprises. Just like Piranha Plant, we believe the DLC is going to be a must-have. For me, as a fan… oh man, I would not miss these for the world.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
While people that are putting their most wanted list for Smash DLC, I haven't seen a lot of people bring shantae to the list. Then again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of who they want in Smash Ultimate.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
While people that are putting their most wanted list for Smash DLC, I haven't seen a lot of people bring shantae to the list. Then again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of who they want in Smash Ultimate.
Well, Shantae not being on a lot of people's Most Wanted Lists doesn't mean she's not coming at all. I'm not really worried about this kind of thing.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So earlier in this thread, I aforementioned about this obscure indie character who resembles a fusion of Shantae and Sonic. Her name is Spaicy.

spaicy_chicross_by_loulouvz_dbe6jwp-pre.png

Similarly, to aforementioned Dragonoid (Bakugan), would Spaicy be eligible for Smash because she was originally created for an indie videogame?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Uhm, according to the YouTube channel, this game is still early in development.
So we're talking about a game that hasn't even been made yet.

Why would a character like that be chosen for Smash?

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So earlier in this thread, I aforementioned about this obscure indie character who resembles a fusion of Shantae and Sonic. Her name is Spaicy.

View attachment 291393

Similarly, to aforementioned Dragonoid (Bakugan), would Spaicy be eligible for Smash because she was originally created for an indie videogame?
Spacey? I mean, it’s not like her odds are anything above 0.01%, but it’s not impossible. It’s hard to explain, but let me see if I can.
Sakurai’s said many times that Smash is for characters that had their franchises originate in video games, specifically citing characters like Goku, Spongebob, and Iron Man that appear IN video games but are not FROM video games.

Some people misunderstood this as β€œcharacters who appeared in video games first”, citing characters like Android 21 from Drgaon Ball FighterZ or Lucario who technically was in a movie a year before it was in a game when the point Sakurai was making is that the franchise, not the character themselves, is originally a video game franchise. People decided to make a joke about this by saying Lightning McQueen was thusly a valid choice for smash since the video game tie in for Cars came out a few days before its theatrical release, furthering confusion from people who didn’t get the joke.

Essentially, it’s not about time, it’s about intent. Spaicy is a video game character that ended up showing up in a comic first due to circumstance. While I don’t think it’s made a big enough name to be considered for Smash at this time, where the only indies in Ultimate in any way are big hitters like Shantae, Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead, it’s not like it’s IMPOSSIBLE. (Edit; also the game isn’t even out yet. This isn’t a Roy situation where it’s an existing Nintendo franchise getting a character whose game is on the horizon, this is an indie character who hasn’t even debuted yet.)

Now, the Bakugan character falls under the same field as Android 21. It’s a character made for a video game, sure, but it’s a video game for an existing toy franchise. It’s not a video game character, it’s a Bakugan character. So it really has no place in Smash.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If anyone here is familiar with the classes of Darkest Dungeon, could you see the following Shantae characters in these roles:

Shantae - Abomination (focusing mainly on spider form as that has the poison to match)
Bolo - Man-at-Arms
Sky - Hound(bird)master
Rottytops - Hellion
Uncle Mimic - Plague Doctor
Risky - Highway(wo)man
Plink - Antiquarian
Vera - Vestal
Zapple - Bounty Hunter
Harmony - Crusader
Abner - Leper
Lobster Girl - Grave Robber
Hypno Baron - Occultist

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Some people misunderstood this as β€œcharacters who appeared in video games first”, citing characters like Android 21 from Drgaon Ball FighterZ or Lucario who technically was in a movie a year before it was in a game when the point Sakurai was making is that the franchise, not the character themselves, is originally a video game franchise. People decided to make a joke about this by saying Lightning McQueen was thusly a valid choice for smash since the video game tie in for Cars came out a few days before its theatrical release, furthering confusion from people who didn’t get the joke.
Lightning McQueen is not a videogame character because the cars videogame was solely to promote the Pixar film. Thus, Lightning Mcqueen wasn't created nor intended for a videogame.

Essentially, it’s not about time, it’s about intent. Spaicy is a video game character that ended up showing up in a comic first due to circumstance. While I don’t think it’s made a big enough name to be considered for Smash at this time, where the only indies in Ultimate in any way are big hitters like Shantae, Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead, it’s not like it’s IMPOSSIBLE. (Edit; also the game isn’t even out yet. This isn’t a Roy situation where it’s an existing Nintendo franchise getting a character whose game is on the horizon, this is an indie character who hasn’t even debuted yet.)
Spaicy is one of the most obscure 3rd party videogames I can think of. Spaicy is even more obscure than Bayonetta, Quote (Cave Story), Klonoa, Sakura (Sakura Wars), and so on. I don't even think Sakurai knows about Spaicy as of now.

Now, the Bakugan character falls under the same field as Android 21. It’s a character made for a video game, sure, but it’s a video game for an existing toy franchise. It’s not a video game character, it’s a Bakugan character. So it really has no place in Smash.
I'm sorry, it's already been implied that Dragonoid (Bakugan) is a videogame character because Bakugan was originally intended to be a videogame before the tabletop game and anime were planned. I've already mentioned this previously.

That's a great comparison! To compare, the Bakugan tabletop game and anime were released before the videogames. However, the Bakugan videogames were planned first, and then the tabletop game and anime were planned later. Thus, the tabletop game and anime wouldn't exist if the videogames were never planned in the first place.

I'm not upset nor ranting/complaining, but I'm sorry, Bakugan was still originally intended to debut as a videogame. The Bakugan characters were created for a videogame, and thus, Dragonoid is still a videogame character because of the intentions behind the Bakugan franchise.

To add on, Bakugan is now one of those now-obscure Pokemon clones, along with Medabots and Monster Rancher. It was once iconic during the Wii era.
Uhm, according to the YouTube channel, this game is still early in development.
So we're talking about a game that hasn't even been made yet.

Why would a character like that be chosen for Smash?
Hmm.. Maybe the Spaicy videogame not being released yet could explain Spaicy's obscurity.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, Spaicy is still a videogame character due to intentions. Spaicy was created for a videogame.
No she was originally created as just a character for drawings.
The video game came later.

But the video game hasn't even been made yet and it won't be for a long time.
So why would she be chosen for Smash, if her game doesn't even exist yet?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
No she was originally created as just a character for drawings.
The video game came later.
Looks like this might be another Strider Hiryu/Geralt (Witcher) situation. While Spaicy is obscure, she may be now primarily recognized as a videogame character.

But the video game hasn't even been made yet and it won't be for a long time.
So why would she be chosen for Smash, if her game doesn't even exist yet?
I don't want Spaicy to be playable for now. And I still don't think she would ever be considered.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I've seen Shantae pretty often, actually. Considering she's an indie character at least.
With Shovel Knight being an assist trophy, I have a theory that we will be getting an indie rep in fighters pass 2. I'm guessing that the indie rep is either Freddy (Five Nights At Freddy's), Reimu (Touhou), Bendy (Bendy and the Ink Machine), or an obscure indie rep.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
With Shovel Knight being an assist trophy, I have a theory that we will be getting an indie rep in fighters pass 2. I'm guessing that the indie rep is either Freddy (Five Nights At Freddy's), Reimu (Touhou), Bendy (Bendy and the Ink Machine), or an obscure indie rep.
Lol, you're in the shantae thread, you should at least mention her ;p

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Bendy and Freddy have no chance, Bendy was absolutely a FOTM and Freddy just doesnt really work its Reimu and Shantae to me.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I personally believe that Masahiro Sakurai wouldn't choose two Indie reps for the same pass. It's either Reimu or Shantae. Reimu, in my opinion, isn't very likely. Steve is already Smash's first PC gaming rep, and I feel like other characters who had a PC debut, such as Reimu, TF2 characters, Gordon Freeman etc. have all been sidelined as a result.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Shantae's increased popularity in Japan along with her games being released in Japan (including the original GBC title on the Switch for the first time ever in Japan if I'm not mistaken) gives her a significant edge over other indie characters
Yep. As for the GBC game being released in Japan for the first time, that is correct. Matt Bozon even tweeted about it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shantae certainly has a lot going for her, but the only issue is whether or not she was high enough on Nintendo's priority of character suggestions by the time FP2 got finalized. It really all boils down to first come, first serve.

I personally believe that Masahiro Sakurai wouldn't choose two Indie reps for the same pass. It's either Reimu or Shantae. Reimu, in my opinion, isn't very likely. Steve is already Smash's first PC gaming rep, and I feel like other characters who had a PC debut, such as Reimu, TF2 characters, Gordon Freeman etc. have all been sidelined as a result.
The latter two don't even have any Switch releases, appearances or spin-offs in the first place, so it's a moot point for them. Sak has an easier time considering a character if they had at least some slight exposure on some sort of Nintendo hardware beforehand.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Shantae certainly has a lot going for her, but the only issue is whether or not she was high enough on Nintendo's priority of character suggestions by the time FP2 got finalized. It really all boils down to first come, first serve.
Nintendo would have had to include her since WayForward and Matt themselves want her. I will never forget when Hideo Kojima himself asked Sakurai to put Snake in Melee. While it was too late back then, he was included in Brawl. I believe Nintendo has to answer the calls of every company one way or another. They answered Suda51's call by turning Travis into a Mii Costume.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I thought I heard somewhere 5 years ago that Shantae placed pretty high on the Smash 4 Fighter Ballot, which Ultimate has been pulling from for newcomers. Well, at least for base roster.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Nintendo would have had to include her since WayForward and Matt themselves want her. I will never forget when Hideo Kojima himself asked Sakurai to put Snake in Melee. While it was too late back then, he was included in Brawl. I believe Nintendo has to answer the calls of every company one way or another. They answered Suda51's call by turning Travis into a Mii Costume.
...I mean, they've technically already "answered their call" to include Shantae in Smash with the spirits and online icon.

A lot of companies would love to see their franchises represented with a playable character, but that doesn't mean it's always going to happen just because they asked nicely.

Top Bottom