• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman

Thoughts? I personally think Sakurai has done enough after years of progress of creating the most enormous crossover Nintendo game ever. Like geez even COVID is slowing them down. It makes me feel bad for them like being treated as slaves. I know they’re not actually slaves but I think all those years should be all worth it already. Keep that in mind, we have another year to look forward to before the end of Smash. I would be so mind blown if Sakurai will ever go that far and keep on progressing to bring our hype back from the dead and dare to challenge himself for Vol. 3 but Im taking it a GRAIN. OF. SALT.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, while Ryu would make for a good retro rep, his status as a Swordfighter might put him in the same spot as Travis Touchdown. The Smash community has gotten pretty sick of swordies, mostly thanks to the oversaturation of Fire Emblem characters. Suda51 and Sakurai had good relations and everyone thought Travis would make it into Smash. And eventually he did, albeit as a Mii Swordfighter. I have a feeling that any character whose primary weapon is a sword, regardless of what era they came from or who they are, is at a very high risk of getting the Mii treatment.

Teeb147 Teeb147 Yeah, I'm keeping my expectations in check, but I still believe Shantae has a very high chance at Smash, with her long history with Nintendo helping out greatly in this regard. Even moreso than Reimu.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, while Ryu would make for a good retro rep, his status as a Swordfighter might put him in the same spot as Travis Touchdown. The Smash community has gotten pretty sick of swordies, mostly thanks to the oversaturation of Fire Emblem characters. Suda51 and Sakurai had good relations and everyone thought Travis would make it into Smash. And eventually he did, albeit as a Mii Swordfighter. I have a feeling that any character whose primary weapon is a sword, regardless of what era they came from or who they are, is at a very high risk of getting the Mii treatment.

Teeb147 Teeb147 Yeah, I'm keeping my expectations in check, but I still believe Shantae has a very high chance at Smash, with her long history with Nintendo helping out greatly in this regard. Even moreso than Reimu.
Reimu is now pretty much from fan games

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I personally think Sakurai has done enough after years of progress of creating the most enormous crossover Nintendo game ever. Like geez even COVID is slowing them down. It makes me feel bad for them like being treated as slaves. I know they’re not actually slaves but I think all those years should be all worth it already..
Uh, dude. Do you seriously think Nintendo is forcing Sakurai to work on all this?
No, he is doing that to himself.
He is a workaholic, who just doesn't know when to stop.
Even going against his own health, because he is "A Man on a Mission" according to his own words.

So if you're going to blame anyone for this, blame the man himself for enjoying his work so much, that he'd gladly sacrifice his own health and life to make the games we wants to make.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
And once again... Smash fans LOOOOVE making Fire Emblem fans like me feel real ****ty -_- Also, I don't buy that swordfighter characters now have a higher chance of becoming a Mii Swordfighter costume just because people are salty about feeling like there are too many sword wielders. They don't even make up a quarter of the roster, and Ryu Hayabusa of ALL people is the least likely sword character to become a Mii costume. Especially with how great Nintendo and Koei Tecmo's relationship is and Koei Tecmo still not having a playable rep yet. I know I said that I'm only really pulling for Shantae, but I'm still confident about Ryu coming eventually. In fact, he's the only one that I feel is actually guaranteed at this point.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Besides maybe Crash, I won't assume that any character is a lock until they actually show up in the game, presented up-front, crystal-clear. Any character can be set aside for no particular reason.

I remember reading about that in a recent article (forgot which one 😣), but not only has this supposed leaked document yet to actually be seen, but it stated Crash for Smash in 2021. He could very well be one of the later challenger packs instead of 8.

Also in response to your Mario 35th Anniversary Tournament post, I believe I heard that it got delayed to December. But I'm not holding my breath for any kind of Geno reveal during it. All summer people were predicting him to be Challenger 7, and lo and behold it wound up being Steve. Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like the Geno fans tend to be more tin-foil hat wearing when it comes to looking for reasons to why he's always coming next pack, and they never amount to anything. Besides, Nintendo never does any kind of character reveal during tournaments sponsored by them.
Should it become true, that's fully what I'm expecting. On average, most Activision game leaks come true sooner or later.

To be fair, there is zero reason to delay a tournament that's apparently not related to a new fighter. It's a limited-time event that only requires Internet access, so it shouldn't be difficult to schedule. And I'm not necessarily saying it would be Geno, it could be King Boo or even Pauline for all we know.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Should it become true, that's fully what I'm expecting. On average, most Activision game leaks come true sooner or later.
They do? I'll admit that the only things from Activision I care about are the Crash and Spyro series', so I don't tend pay attention to most Activision related leaks. The Crash 5-Year plan leak was the only leak from them I payed any attention to, for the obvious reasons.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
And once again... Smash fans LOOOOVE making Fire Emblem fans like me feel real ****ty -_- Also, I don't buy that swordfighter characters now have a higher chance of becoming a Mii Swordfighter costume just because people are salty about feeling like there are too many sword wielders. They don't even make up a quarter of the roste.
It's your problem if you take this personally.

Also, I think the criticism is valid, considering how Fire Emblem is among the Top 3 Series with the most amount of characters for their series.
The other ones being Mario and Pokemon. But those two at least make sense, due to how big these franchises are.
Fire Emblem on the other hand...
Let's be honest, it's far from a flagship series.
So I think there is merit to the question "Why does Fire Emblem of all series have so much representation, but not Zelda, Donkey Kong or Metroid?"
Those series being far bigger and more popular than Fire Emblem.

That's without even mentioning the fact, that plenty of Fire Emblem characters were just included for advertisement-purposes, rather than genuinely giving the people what they want.
The most blatant cases being Corrin and Byleth.
And Marth and Roy too in Melee, but at that point there were representatives of a new series in Smash Bros, so that was alright.

However, at this point, even with so many characters, Fire Emblem still keeps getting new characters in Smash.
When we could've had reps from series that don't have as many characters, balancing out the character count per series...
Or maybe even getting a brand new series to be represented in Smash.
New Fire Emblem reps these days only come with wasted potential.
So people actually have a good reason to be sick of new Fire Emblem characters.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It's your problem if you take this personally.

Also, I think the criticism is valid, considering how Fire Emblem is among the Top 3 Series with the most amount of characters for their series.
The other ones being Mario and Pokemon. But those two at least make sense, due to how big these franchises are.
Fire Emblem on the other hand...
Let's be honest, it's far from a flagship series.
So I think there is merit to the question "Why does Fire Emblem of all series have so much representation, but not Zelda, Donkey Kong or Metroid?"
Those series being far bigger and more popular than Fire Emblem.

That's without even mentioning the fact, that plenty of Fire Emblem characters were just included for advertisement-purposes, rather than genuinely giving the people what they want.
The most blatant cases being Corrin and Byleth.
And Marth and Roy too in Melee, but at that point there were representatives of a new series in Smash Bros, so that was alright.

However, at this point, even with so many characters, Fire Emblem still keeps getting new characters in Smash.
When we could've had reps from series that don't have as many characters, balancing out the character count per series...
Or maybe even getting a brand new series to be represented in Smash.
New Fire Emblem reps these days only come with wasted potential.
So people actually have a good reason to be sick of new Fire Emblem characters.
Fine. I'll drop the subject. It's just... difficult sometimes, being both a Smash fan and an FE fan, and feeling like one side hates you for not minding the other side being represented heavily in Smash.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Uh, dude. Do you seriously think Nintendo is forcing Sakurai to work on all this?
No, he is doing that to himself.
He is a workaholic, who just doesn't know when to stop.
Even going against his own health, because he is "A Man on a Mission" according to his own words.

So if you're going to blame anyone for this, blame the man himself for enjoying his work so much, that he'd gladly sacrifice his own health and life to make the games we wants to make.
I’m not blaming anyone. Am I? no. Not to Sakurai or to any Nintendo and Smash crew. I just think it’s bit too much to keep progressing Smash over the years. I don’t think Nintendo is forcing Sakurai. I’m just saying it’s kind of like being as slaves but truly not so please don’t overthink it

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Fine. I'll drop the subject. It's just... difficult sometimes, being both a Smash fan and an FE fan, and feeling like one side hates you for not minding the other side being represented heavily in Smash.
The rational-minded people hate the decision to include these characters, not the fans.
So don't worry, nobody here says you can't enjoy Byleth.
Just don't take it personal, if someone expresses their discontent with new Fire Emblem characters.
Again, people hate the decision, not you.

I’m not blaming anyone. Am I? no. Not to Sakurai or to any Nintendo and Smash crew. I just think it’s bit too much to keep progressing Smash over the years. I don’t think Nintendo is forcing Sakurai. I’m just saying it’s kind of like being as slaves but truly not so please don’t overthink it
Except "being as slaves" is not even remotely applicable here, since it all happens voluntary.
Ergo, Sakurai and his team can't be slaves, when they're doing this on their own accord.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And once again... Smash fans LOOOOVE making Fire Emblem fans like me feel real ****ty -_- Also, I don't buy that swordfighter characters now have a higher chance of becoming a Mii Swordfighter costume just because people are salty about feeling like there are too many sword wielders. They don't even make up a quarter of the roster, and Ryu Hayabusa of ALL people is the least likely sword character to become a Mii costume. Especially with how great Nintendo and Koei Tecmo's relationship is and Koei Tecmo still not having a playable rep yet. I know I said that I'm only really pulling for Shantae, but I'm still confident about Ryu coming eventually. In fact, he's the only one that I feel is actually guaranteed at this point.
Hayabusa is far far from guaranteed. It seems to be mostly fan created thoughts around him being for smash. I don't think Nintendo and Sakurai care too much to have every retro rep be in dlc. Anyway, my gut feeling is that he won't be in. If he is, then fine, there's a ninja in the game.
I think a certain new old but young ninja girl is more likely ;p

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Hayabusa is far far from guaranteed. It seems to be mostly fan created thoughts around him being for smash. I don't think Nintendo and Sakurai care too much to have every retro rep be in dlc. Anyway, my gut feeling is that he won't be in. If he is, then fine, there's a ninja in the game.
I think a certain new old but young ninja girl is more likely ;p
Judging from your profile pic I'm assuming you mean Impa? 😉 I'm still kinda surprised she didn't make base roster as an echo fighter or Alph-level alt. for Sheik or something. Btw, I can't wait for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity!

The rational-minded people hate the decision to include these characters, not the fans.
Just don't take it personal, if someone expresses their discontent with new Fire Emblem characters.
Thanks. I'll do my best to remember that :)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was all up for Byleth. I love their character design. It's just in the end the moveset wasn't my jam. I do think it's a bit much to add an FE character everytime for promotion though.

I wouldn't mind another pokemon rep though, If I'm real. I know lots don't want a slot to be used by them tho.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman

Except "being as slaves" is not even remotely applicable here, since it all happens voluntary.
Ergo, Sakurai and his team can't be slaves, when they're doing this on their own accord.
I said I didn’t think they really are. Just thought in the different direction. Not actually so listen

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I dont expect hayabusa at all. I think people just speculate him because he's been in other crossovers.
Hayabusa speculation in my opinion is mostly leftover speculation from those leaks that said the first DLC wave would be Steve, Erdrick, Ryu, and Doomguy. Not hating on people who genuinely want Hayabusa, but there was next to no talk about him until that ‘leak’, and then all of a sudden he was on every other YouTube list of most wanted or most likely characters.
It’s definitely died down since that turned out to be 100% fake, but yeah, there’s definitely a lot of lists that describe him as “highly speculated and anticipated” just because of that fake leak.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hayabusa speculation in my opinion is mostly leftover speculation from those leaks that said the first DLC wave would be Steve, Erdrick, Ryu, and Doomguy. Not hating on people who genuinely want Hayabusa, but there was next to no talk about him until that ‘leak’, and then all of a sudden he was on every other YouTube list of most wanted or most likely characters.
It’s definitely died down since that turned out to be 100% fake, but yeah, there’s definitely a lot of lists that describe him as “highly speculated and anticipated” just because of that fake leak.
True

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
[Tournament event]
"Suck, spit, eat!" Will be held for 3 days from 11/13 (Fri.)! This is a fighter-only tournament where you can smoke, vomit, and eat. Many edible items will appear, and the more you win, the more luxurious spirits you will get.
Once again, no dice, as I expected. The mystery only deepens.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Remember that Steve was revealed in October, so December or January may be the time for Challenge 8 to appear. If not, maybe February to kickstart spring and the games coming up.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Remember that Steve was revealed in October, so December or January may be the time for Challenge 8 to appear. If not, maybe February to kickstart spring and the games coming up.
We have The Game Awards 2020 to look forward to. Japan is getting involved in it, and that probably means we will have Nintendo getting involved. I think Nintendo will pull off another Joker situation this time, and I hope the new character is our girl.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We have The Game Awards 2020 to look forward to. Japan is getting involved in it, and that probably means we will have Nintendo getting involved. I think Nintendo will pull off another Joker situation this time, and I hope the new character is our girl.
If they continue to be coy about the exact date for the Mario 35 tournament ever since September, I have a feeling that they could show a Mario newcomer at the Awards on the week it launches, whoever they may be.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
If they continue to be coy about the exact date for the Mario 35 tournament ever since September, I have a feeling that they could show a Mario newcomer at the Awards on the week it launches, whoever they may be.
Please keep in mind that Masahiro Sakurai said that anniversaries do not guarantee Fighters from said franchise celebrating an anniversary. So we might not even get a Mario newcomer.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Please keep in mind that Masahiro Sakurai said that anniversaries do not guarantee Fighters from said franchise celebrating an anniversary. So we might not even get a Mario newcomer.
I know, but the anniversary month has long been passed, so there's no reason to take so long to launch the tourney unless they go "oh right, we're supposed to capitalize on Super Mario 3D World". Still find it weird that Bravely Default's spirit event was celebrated "close enough" to its release anniversary, yet act like the Mario 35 one tourney should be delayed like everything else that was planned for Mario's big year, even though it's not something you can go out of your house to access.

Besides, they tend to skip exact anniversary dates anyway, so whatev. Don't act surprised if I end up being right, I guess. :drshrug:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I know, but the anniversary month has long been passed, so there's no reason to take so long to launch the tourney unless they go "oh right, we're supposed to capitalize on Super Mario 3D World". Still find it weird that Bravely Default's spirit event was celebrated "close enough" to its release anniversary, yet act like the Mario 35 one tourney should be delayed like everything else that was planned for Mario's big year, even though it's not something you can go out of your house to access.

Besides, they tend to skip exact anniversary dates anyway, so whatev. Don't act surprised if I end up being right, I guess. :drshrug:
To be honest, Mario doesn't need Smash to celebrate his anniversary. I think the new event is all we're getting for Smash. If we're getting something Mario related at TGA 2020, it's likely gonna be a showcase of Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury and maybe a new game. Perhaps Super Mario Odyssey 2? Who knows?

Staarih

Smash Master

The Super Mario 35th anniversary celebrations run until March 2021, so I feel like they're just spreading the stuff around. Splatoon 2 has its Mario themed SplatFest in January 2021, for example, so even without a specific date for the Smash tournament (other than Nov-Dec), it would still fit in the time frame of the anniversary celebrations without the need to be tied to a fighter reveal.

Though if there are intentions to add a Mario character in the first place, they could of course be revealed alongside these anniversary celebrations. It would then rather be a case of "hey, this Mario character we had planned could go well with this timeline" instead of having a fighter for the sake of Mario's anniversary.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
The Super Mario 35th anniversary celebrations run until March 2021, so I feel like they're just spreading the stuff around. Splatoon 2 has its Mario themed SplatFest in January 2021, for example, so even without a specific date for the Smash tournament (other than Nov-Dec), it would still fit in the time frame of the anniversary celebrations without the need to be tied to a fighter reveal.

Though if there are intentions to add a Mario character in the first place, they could of course be revealed alongside these anniversary celebrations. It would then rather be a case of "hey, this Mario character we had planned could go well with this timeline" instead of having a fighter for the sake of Mario's anniversary.
I agree. If they wanted to reveal a Mario Fighter to celebrate the anniversary, then they would have done so in the Mario Direct back on September 3rd. Of course, they didn't, and we got Steve instead.

Staarih

Smash Master
I agree. If they wanted to reveal a Mario Fighter to celebrate the anniversary, then they would have done so in the Mario Direct back on September 3rd. Of course, they didn't, and we got Steve instead.
I guess, though I'm not saying a Mario character can't get revealed during these anniversary celebration months. Just that the Mario tournament isn't necessary an indicator to it happening, as it's still in line with all the other celebratory events even if the date is yet to be clarified.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I guess, though I'm not saying a Mario character can't get revealed during these anniversary celebration months. Just that the Mario tournament isn't necessary an indicator to it happening, as it's still in line with all the other celebratory events even if the date is yet to be clarified.
I don't really think a Mario character is gonna get revealed during this time. Usually, when a character is released during their franchise's anniversary celebration, it's usually a coincidence. Masahiro Sakurai makes the Fighters but he doesn't decide when they get released. That is up to Nintendo's marketing team. Plus Sakurai himself said anniversaries don't guarantee Fighters from that franchise.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They can want to reveal a mario character around the game awards if they want. Mario is big, so it would still be a good move on them.

Don't forget everything got delayed because of the pandemic, and steve was most likely supposed to be revealed before. We don't know at alll what the timing is supposed to look like, but they can still take advantage of the game awards for the next character now that time's gone by.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
They can want to reveal a mario character around the game awards if they want. Mario is big, so it would still be a good move on them.

Don't forget everything got delayed because of the pandemic, and steve was most likely supposed to be revealed before. We don't know at alll what the timing is supposed to look like, but they can still take advantage of the game awards for the next character now that time's gone by.
While that would make sense, I don't see why they'd reveal a Mario character after Steve. Mario doesn't need Smash to be a success.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
While that would make sense, I don't see why they'd reveal a Mario character after Steve. Mario doesn't need Smash to be a success.
That's very linear thinking. They can have different reasons for having a character in .
Mario is popular, and so is pokemon. They don't add lots of those characters because they necessarily want them to succeed better, they add them because they're a big part of nintendo, and that can earn a lot of purchases on the dlc character too. I'm sure Min Min didn't get all that much since Arms isn't that popular, but it did promote the series to people who do play smash. (so, different reasons)

Also, x-mas time is a good time for kids to get that nintendo flair and ask their mom for a switch and smash for x-mas. There's always new kids :p

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Why am I not getting notifications for this thread? Dammit.

ALso Im getting peeved that people are getting ther Shantae SS CE copies but Ive yet to even get the shipping notification for it.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
That's very linear thinking. They can have different reasons for having a character in .
Mario is popular, and so is pokemon. They don't add lots of those characters because they necessarily want them to succeed better, they add them because they're a big part of nintendo, and that can earn a lot of purchases on the dlc character too. I'm sure Min Min didn't get all that much since Arms isn't that popular, but it did promote the series to people who do play smash. (so, different reasons)

Also, x-mas time is a good time for kids to get that nintendo flair and ask their mom for a switch and smash for x-mas. There's always new kids :p
Well yeah, but we don't really need any more Mario, Pokemon or Fire Emblem characters. We want something fresh and new, not characters from an existing franchise.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well yeah, but we don't really need any more Mario, Pokemon or Fire Emblem characters. We want something fresh and new, not characters from an existing franchise.
Yeah, but that's smash lol. And people get upset to see fire emblem character every time.
I think that there's at least one character in the pass that people will be upset with (not counting min min).

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but that's smash lol. And people get upset to see fire emblem character every time.
I think that there's at least one character in the pass that people will be upset with (not counting min min).
That already exists and it's called Steve. Tons of people didn't want him or saw him as unlikely and yet here we are. The group of people who did want him got their win.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Why am I not getting notifications for this thread? Dammit.

ALso Im getting peeved that people are getting ther Shantae SS CE copies but Ive yet to even get the shipping notification for it.
Again, you will only get notifications on the page you left on. Once the posts move to another page, you won't get it until you move to the latest page. Also, I'm patiently waiting when December to roll over to begin my official wait for the Shantae GBA physical re-release.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That already exists and it's called Steve. Tons of people didn't want him or saw him as unlikely and yet here we are. The group of people who did want him got their win.
Many many people love Steve. Minecraft is the most played game in the world.
Divisive in the smash community, but that's it, I don't compare that to a fire emblem character.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Many many people love Steve. Minecraft is the most played game in the world.
Divisive in the smash community, but that's it, I don't compare that to a fire emblem character.
The "divisive in the Smash community" thing is what I meant by a character who makes people upset.

Top Bottom