• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The "divisive in the Smash community" thing is what I meant by a character who makes people upset.
People always get upset. When I say a character that'll upset people, I mean that most people didn't want, like FE.
I could count Terry in there though obviously not as bad as FE.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, Fire Emblem does have enough characters as each of them represent the era of the game title's time like Marth as the first one to Byleth now.

Really, the more the fanbase is wanting their character to join, the more some people are starting to get annoyed and eventually try to shoot down just to quiet the requests.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Honestly, Fire Emblem does have enough characters as each of them represent the era of the game title's time like Marth as the first one to Byleth now.

Really, the more the fanbase is wanting their character to join, the more some people are starting to get annoyed and eventually try to shoot down just to quiet the requests.
If I'm being honest, despite how much I love Fire Emblem and Byleth in Smash, even I'm kind of hoping he's the last one. I was requesting him ever since I beat the Golden Deer path in Three Houses and realized just how much I love that game, but even I think 8 playable characters for FE are enough. I also think Mario and Pokemon have enough playable characters too (9 for Mario and technically 10 for Pokemon), which is why I don't really pull for guys like Geno, Rillaboom, Waluigi, Toxtricity or Paper Mario. I would love to see another Legend of Zelda character be added to Ultimate, but aside from maybe Tetra or another Breath of the Wild character, I don't see it happening. Unless they go for BotW Zelda to promote both Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity and BotW 2? 🤔

But... I did promise that Shantae was my only wanted character now, so I guess I'll stick with her.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Honestly, the only FE character that I want is Lyn. Despite the long shot, if she did make it in this Fighter Pass I'd be over the moon.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the only FE character that I want is Lyn. Despite the long shot, if she did make it in this Fighter Pass I'd be over the moon.
That's actually the only FE character I'd let slide.

In a nutshell, she might be a bit of an annoying tutorial lord to some veterans of the series in Japan, but she's sort of the first lord outside of Japan people actually got to know. Unless you count Melee's paragraph sized cameo descriptions.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If they'd put in Lyn instead of Corrin or Byleth that'd been awesome.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If they'd put in Lyn instead of Corrin or Byleth that'd been awesome.
I might be in the minority, but Corrin is the only FE character that I like. They play so differently from the others having both water attacks and dragon transformation moves. I understand people didn't want another FE character when they were revealed, but when the criticism was about all the FE reps being blue haired anime swordsmen, Corrin changed a lot of that. And in comparison Byleth was a step back in that regard.

I wouldn't mind Lynn at all, but gameplay wise I feel she would play more like the current FE fighters than Corrin did. Tho if it were up to me and we had to get another FE to I would want Tiki most of Anna as a runner up.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I might be in the minority, but Corrin is the only FE character that I like. They play so differently from the others having both water attacks and dragon transformation moves. I understand people didn't want another FE character when they were revealed, but when the criticism was about all the FE reps being blue haired anime swordsmen, Corrin changed a lot of that. And in comparison Byleth was a step back in that regard.

I wouldn't mind Lynn at all, but gameplay wise I feel she would play more like the current FE fighters than Corrin did. Tho if it were up to me and we had to get another FE to I would want Tiki most of Anna as a runner up.
I wouldn't mind Corrin in theory if they were faster on the ground. I feel like they're not supposed to be that slow, I just don't enjoy playing them, but other than that I do think they're different enough. Robin is different too though, a spellcaster, and I don't mind the playstyle and they're one of my mains. To me playstyle is important, and I think if they're going to put in a character that looks like just another anime character (to most people) then they at least should make them very fun to play. Like, Hero is very fun to play so I think a lot of people warmed up to them (besides the competitive mishaps) when a lot of people were ready to say 'just another anime swordsman'.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's actually the only FE character I'd let slide.

In a nutshell, she might be a bit of an annoying tutorial lord to some veterans of the series in Japan, but she's sort of the first lord outside of Japan people actually got to know. Unless you count Melee's paragraph sized cameo descriptions.
To this day I'll never get over how the Pokémon syndrome basically led to her getting skipped over forever.

...Wait, did I just wander into a Fire Emblem thread?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm curious though.
What is "Pokemon Syndrome"? o_O
I'm guessing going for the newest characters instead of the ones from previous releases.

In this instance I'm assuming they're discussing how Lyn was passed over and since then they've gone for characters from post-Lyn games only.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So how would everyone here rate the Shantae games? My rankings are as follows:
1. Pirate's Curse
2. Seven Sirens
3. Half-Genie Hero
4. Risky's Revenge
Still haven't played the first game yet 😅

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
So, any of you guys know that Shadowedgy fellow? Well, he claimed that a bunch of credible leaker he trusts gave him information about 2 or 3 of the Fighters in FP1, and he said some of the info given to him from behind the scenes pointed to Geno being CP7. He even showed me that image of a Mallow and Cacodemon Mii Hat and said he had his own reasons to believe it was real. However, I didn't believe a word he said, and soon enough he was proven wrong with Steve being revealed as CP7. And that's not even the best part. No, the best part is that after the reveal, he says he doesn't know when Geno is coming to Smash other than one of the four slots. I warned him not to trust these "credible leakers whom he trusts" and told him to remember Vergeben, and he said he knew, but it seemed like he didn't listen.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
1. Pirate's Curse
2. Seven Sirens
3. Half-Genie Hero
4. Risky's Revenge
  1. Pirate's Curse
  2. Half Genie Hero
  3. Shantae
  4. Risky's Revenge
I received my copy of Seven Sirens a few days ago and I'm planning to dig into it this weekend.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If I had to rank the games, I'd say it would be this way:
1. Pirate's Curse
2. Seven Sirens
3. Half Genie Hero
4. The original GBC game
5. Risky's Revenge

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So, any of you guys know that Shadowedgy fellow? Well, he claimed that a bunch of credible leaker he trusts gave him information about 2 or 3 of the Fighters in FP1, and he said some of the info given to him from behind the scenes pointed to Geno being CP7. He even showed me that image of a Mallow and Cacodemon Mii Hat and said he had his own reasons to believe it was real. However, I didn't believe a word he said, and soon enough he was proven wrong with Steve being revealed as CP7. And that's not even the best part. No, the best part is that after the reveal, he says he doesn't know when Geno is coming to Smash other than one of the four slots. I warned him not to trust these "credible leakers whom he trusts" and told him to remember Vergeben, and he said he knew, but it seemed like he didn't listen.
I really don't think the CackoMallow leak is real tbh.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I really don't think the CackoMallow leak is real tbh.
I agree. If it were real, it would have been announced a while ago. The fact it hasn't for a year shows this. Plus why would something nearly supposedly two years old already been made and not yet released or revealed?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Plus Mii Hats can be modded.
They don't even need to mod a hat that then sits on an unmodded mii fighter. You could just as easily make a model of a mii head with a fixed hat on it and then map it to the mii fighter character animations. Project M did lots of custom models on pre-existing fighter animations, this one would be easier because you would only be changing part of an existing model rather than making a completely new one.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So I had thought pop into my head while at work today! I seem to remember quite a few Indie game reveals/updates/trailers shown off during the Game Awards last year. How crazy would it be to have both Shantae GBC's release date AND Shantae for Smash revealed during the Awards this year?

Guess I've got a new prediction for TGA 2020 now that I'm solely pulling for Shantae. Sorry Ryu and Crash...

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
So I had thought pop into my head while at work today! I seem to remember quite a few Indie game reveals/updates/trailers shown off during the Game Awards last year. How crazy would it be to have both Shantae GBC's release date AND Shantae for Smash revealed during the Awards this year?

Guess I've got a new prediction for TGA 2020 now that I'm solely pulling for Shantae. Sorry Ryu and Crash...
That is exactly what I am thinking too!

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
1. Pirate's Curse
2. Seven Sirens
3. Half-Genie Hero
4. Risky's Revenge
1. Half-Genie Hero
2. Pirate's Curse
3. Seven Sirens
4. Risky's Revenge

Soon, Shantae shall master the secret of the Three Dimensional Dance thought only myth.

I'd like to see Shantae in smash, and would like for her to be super fun, including so that many others want to play her
;)
Positivity? Have you no shame? There are children here!

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Man, waiting is boring. At least I made some pumpkin bread, so I get something nice and tasty to eat. Though that'll only last around two, maybe three days? Anyways, I'm poised to eventually get my cards, though USPS is being a bit slow at the moment after the transfer from UPS. No word on the carts yet, though I hope to get mine eventually. Also little word on the CE, though I trust my aunt with that one.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae Gbc's switch digital release hasn't been shown yet hasit

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If Shantae is FP character #8, it'll actually be the second time back to back reveals featured western created characters, as Dark Samus was revealed before King K. Rool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom