• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think the name might also be an issue.
We already have Ryu from Street Fighter.
And Smash never uses surnames or similar things.
Terry Bogard is just called Terry, while he is called by his full name in Fatal Fury and King of Fighters.
Solid Snake is just called Snake. Granted, most characters just refer to him as Snake in the MGS games too. But still...
Tho I don't think Ryu is as likely as some seem to, I don't think his name was ever holding him back. We already have two completely different characters who the announcer both simply calls "Roy" If we can have two Roys with slightlu different inflection in their names, we can have to Ryus or two whatevers.

That said I think people far overplay Hayabusa's odds mostly because of how many leaks he was getting in.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Terry Bogard is just called Terry, while he is called by his full name in Fatal Fury and King of Fighters.
Solid Snake is just called Snake. Granted, most characters just refer to him as Snake in the MGS games too. But still...

Also, I believe Dead or Alive just calls him Hayabusa.

To keep this on-topic, Pirate's Curse is generally considered the best Shantae game, right? That's the impression that I got, so I might continue with that. (I think last time I played it, I wasn't sure what to do after filling a drool pool)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

To keep this on-topic, Pirate's Curse is generally considered the best Shantae game, right? That's the impression that I got, so I might continue with that. (I think last time I played it, I wasn't sure what to do after filling a drool pool)
Basically, yeah. The current two games after it are kind of stuck under its shadow.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

I knew you guys would bring that up.
But what you didn't consider, is that the Mario Roy is just an alt. The actual fighter is "Bowser Jr."
While the Roy from Fire Emblem is the actual fighter Roy and not an alt.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
That haven't stop Roy from Fire Emblem and Roy the Koopa Kid.

EDIT: Super late for me lol

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
You know, it's ironic that the most successful game in the series, is the game where Shantae wasn't herself, but a second Risky Boots.
Kinda telling of how flawed the dancing mechanics were before Seven Sirens made some extremely welcome adjustments to them to improve the general flow and pacing of the gameplay.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of the Smash Bros. Event to celebrate Mario's 35th anniversary, Masahiro Sakurai said himself that anniversaries do not guarantee anything. So I'm not getting my hopes up for a Mario Fighter as the eighth Fighter.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Kinda telling of how flawed the dancing mechanics were before Seven Sirens made some extremely welcome adjustments to them to improve the general flow and pacing of the gameplay.
Meh, they were the same to me as the Ocarina-Songs from the Zelda-games.
Never got why they were so hated.
Are people that impatient these days?

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of the Smash Bros. Event to celebrate Mario's 35th anniversary, Masahiro Sakurai said himself that anniversaries do not guarantee anything. So I'm not getting my hopes up for a Mario Fighter as the eighth Fighter.
See, that’s not because of a fighter announcement, it’s because it’s a Mario-themed tournament that was announced and delayed to sometime in November or December. So we’re waiting for it to return.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Meh, they were the same to me as the Ocarina-Songs from the Zelda-games.
Never got why they were so hated.
Are people that impatient these days?
Link doesn't need to play a song every time he wants to climb a wall or break weak obstacles.

More to the point, the times where songs needed to be played repeatedly are treated with indifference at best. I've never heard anyone legitimately say it was a fun experience. And it's telling that even Zelda saw fit to phase the songs out, gradually reducing their importance and prominence as the games went by. At the end of the day, the only tangible benefit there is to having things like that is the spectacle, and you can have this kind of identity without it infringing on the gameplay.

For what it's worth I see Seven Sirens as an important transitioning step in Sequin Land worldbuilding. It introduces more characters and elements than any other entry (besides the original, of course), and even if it doesn't delve too deeply in most of them at this point, it opens a lot of potential paths of development that's fun to think about.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So I finally got to play through Seven Sirens, and I’m very pleased. I’ll keep my thoughts under a spoiler tag for anyone who doesn’t want to see anything about the game.

Pros:

-The new half-genies are hella cute and I seriously hope they return in the future. Maybe have Shantae go on a bit of a world tour and visit some of the towns they protect. I also feel like introducing other half genies served as setup to finally seeing why/how the original genies went away. If they’re feeling ambitious, maybe make a Friends to the End style adventure as a future mode or spinoff with the other Half Genies and their powers... Also, every one of their fusion forms with Shantae are amazingly designed. I want to play a whole game as Valkyrie Shantae, Eel Shantae, Dryad Shantae, or Seer Shantae.

-I love how they meshed Risky’s Revenge’s interconnected world with Pirate’s Curse’s fluid movement focused dungeon design. Might be my favorite world and dungeon integration in the series so far.

-The writing is as funny as ever, it’s Wayforward after all. Too many great moments to list, and Squid Baron absolutely kills it every second he’s on screen.

-The returning enemy designs as well as the new ones are all fun and stylish, again a series staple. But I especially like the inclusion of the enemy cards - not only do we get to see the designs closer up without them trying to attack us, but the slight modifications they offered made for some fun if simple customization. The boss designs in particular are phenomenal, and their fights are more involved than they felt last game. (The Siren designs and the fusion dance power designs are the only spoilers I had going into the game, so I was already looking forward to them).

-While the graphics borrow almost everything from Half Genie Hero, giving Shantae a few new animations was a great touch. Plus, the Talksprites are super expressive in this game and all look great. That one of Shantae sitting in a bit of a slouch to complain about someone being dumb is just so full of character.

-I like the balance struck between fusion transformations being on the fly and the stronger Fusion Dances being tied to the dancing. Maybe going forward they can keep the idea of the fusion dances for their quick platforming movement options, and then flesh out the full transformation dances from before for gameplay segments that would require a full set of moves.

-While Jake Kaufman didn’t compose this time around, the OST has some great tracks. Sunken Shipyard is a JAM.

-The labyrinths are all fun and well designed. I was initially a bit cautious since the first was so linear, but it jumped right into a fun exploring dungeon as soon as the second labyrinth. I hope they can experiment even more with them in the next titles, more branching paths and the like. I also liked having the last one be a time attack instead of a traditional dungeon for a pace changer.

-Bonking your head on the glass underwater tubes is far too fun with it’s silly little noise and I find myself doing it every time I walk through one.

Incredibly minor nitpicks:

-While the difficulty isn’t too high, I don’t have a problem with that. Shantae games to me are best enjoyed as fun games first, and then speed games or challenges with replay modes. What DOES annoy me a bit is the number of save rooms in the first labyrinth - there’s 3 of them in such a small and linear space. Cutting 2 out would actually help the flow of the dungeon in my opinion, making it feel less segmented. It seems to only be an issue with the first labyrinth though, since it’s short and linear. The rest of the dungeons have better layouts and the save rooms are more spread out.

-It’s a bit on the short end, which kinda matches every game since they encourage multiple replays as you get better and faster. But hey, liking a game so much that you want more of it is still a thing!

-I love that they added more voiceover to characters lines, and it gives them even more life... but it’s implementation is a bit confusing in some cases. The best way I can explain it is how an early cutscene with Sky went. Sky had three lines in a row. The first line was spoken, the second line was just text, and then the third line was... spoken again. It almost feels random in its choice when lines will be fully voiced or not.

The actual complaints:

-The transformations are all very fun, and Bonker Tortoise might be one of my new favorites in the franchise. ...But Sea Frog is just terrible. Sorry, it’s an objective downgrade from the control you had before as a Mermaid. It has the same controls as Gastro Drill, but in that transformation it feels fine - partly because the dirt tunnels are already narrow, there’s no instadeath hazards, and as a drill it makes sense to constantly be moving forward. But something about Sea Frog being unable to stop and move freely just feels wrong. The insta-kill undersea mines don’t make Sea Frog challenging, its just a slow chore to time your movement around them. If they made the action button stop the frog instead of just slowing it down it might’ve alleviated some of this annoyance. But as it stands it might be my least favorite transformation in Shantae’s entire repertoire.

-That Hula gem minigame can go chew tinfoil. No control over Shantae, randomly chosen speed after every gem you fire, wonky hit detection that way too often lead to my gems threading the needle between two adjacent masks and missing both of them, and if you mess up you either have to spend more gems to clean up the straggler masks or leave the minigame and reload it.

-I was promised the next Shantae game would be “Squid Baron’s Quest starring Shantae” and this isn’t it, ergo the game is a 0/10. I have been cheated, hoodwinked, AND quite possibly bamboozled.

To those of you avoiding the spoiler, my overall opinion is very positive! Definitely my second favorite game after Pirates Curse, and a great entry in terms of gameplay, world building, humor and charm, and design.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So I finally got to play through Seven Sirens, and I’m very pleased. I’ll keep my thoughts under a spoiler tag for anyone who doesn’t want to see anything about the game.

Pros:

-The new half-genies are hella cute and I seriously hope they return in the future. Maybe have Shantae go on a bit of a world tour and visit some of the towns they protect. I also feel like introducing other half genies served as setup to finally seeing why/how the original genies went away. If they’re feeling ambitious, maybe make a Friends to the End style adventure as a future mode or spinoff with the other Half Genies and their powers... Also, every one of their fusion forms with Shantae are amazingly designed. I want to play a whole game as Valkyrie Shantae, Eel Shantae, Dryad Shantae, or Seer Shantae.

-I love how they meshed Risky’s Revenge’s interconnected world with Pirate’s Curse’s fluid movement focused dungeon design. Might be my favorite world and dungeon integration in the series so far.

-The writing is as funny as ever, it’s Wayforward after all. Too many great moments to list, and Squid Baron absolutely kills it every second he’s on screen.

-The returning enemy designs as well as the new ones are all fun and stylish, again a series staple. But I especially like the inclusion of the enemy cards - not only do we get to see the designs closer up without them trying to attack us, but the slight modifications they offered made for some fun if simple customization. The boss designs in particular are phenomenal, and their fights are more involved than they felt last game. (The Siren designs and the fusion dance power designs are the only spoilers I had going into the game, so I was already looking forward to them).

-While the graphics borrow almost everything from Half Genie Hero, giving Shantae a few new animations was a great touch. Plus, the Talksprites are super expressive in this game and all look great. That one of Shantae sitting in a bit of a slouch to complain about someone being dumb is just so full of character.

-I like the balance struck between fusion transformations being on the fly and the stronger Fusion Dances being tied to the dancing. Maybe going forward they can keep the idea of the fusion dances for their quick platforming movement options, and then flesh out the full transformation dances from before for gameplay segments that would require a full set of moves.

-While Jake Kaufman didn’t compose this time around, the OST has some great tracks. Sunken Shipyard is a JAM.

-The labyrinths are all fun and well designed. I was initially a bit cautious since the first was so linear, but it jumped right into a fun exploring dungeon as soon as the second labyrinth. I hope they can experiment even more with them in the next titles, more branching paths and the like. I also liked having the last one be a time attack instead of a traditional dungeon for a pace changer.

-Bonking your head on the glass underwater tubes is far too fun with it’s silly little noise and I find myself doing it every time I walk through one.

Incredibly minor nitpicks:

-While the difficulty isn’t too high, I don’t have a problem with that. Shantae games to me are best enjoyed as fun games first, and then speed games or challenges with replay modes. What DOES annoy me a bit is the number of save rooms in the first labyrinth - there’s 3 of them in such a small and linear space. Cutting 2 out would actually help the flow of the dungeon in my opinion, making it feel less segmented. It seems to only be an issue with the first labyrinth though, since it’s short and linear. The rest of the dungeons have better layouts and the save rooms are more spread out.

-It’s a bit on the short end, which kinda matches every game since they encourage multiple replays as you get better and faster. But hey, liking a game so much that you want more of it is still a thing!

-I love that they added more voiceover to characters lines, and it gives them even more life... but it’s implementation is a bit confusing in some cases. The best way I can explain it is how an early cutscene with Sky went. Sky had three lines in a row. The first line was spoken, the second line was just text, and then the third line was... spoken again. It almost feels random in its choice when lines will be fully voiced or not.

The actual complaints:

-The transformations are all very fun, and Bonker Tortoise might be one of my new favorites in the franchise. ...But Sea Frog is just terrible. Sorry, it’s an objective downgrade from the control you had before as a Mermaid. It has the same controls as Gastro Drill, but in that transformation it feels fine - partly because the dirt tunnels are already narrow, there’s no instadeath hazards, and as a drill it makes sense to constantly be moving forward. But something about Sea Frog being unable to stop and move freely just feels wrong. The insta-kill undersea mines don’t make Sea Frog challenging, its just a slow chore to time your movement around them. If they made the action button stop the frog instead of just slowing it down it might’ve alleviated some of this annoyance. But as it stands it might be my least favorite transformation in Shantae’s entire repertoire.

-That Hula gem minigame can go chew tinfoil. No control over Shantae, randomly chosen speed after every gem you fire, wonky hit detection that way too often lead to my gems threading the needle between two adjacent masks and missing both of them, and if you mess up you either have to spend more gems to clean up the straggler masks or leave the minigame and reload it.

-I was promised the next Shantae game would be “Squid Baron’s Quest starring Shantae” and this isn’t it, ergo the game is a 0/10. I have been cheated, hoodwinked, AND quite possibly bamboozled.

To those of you avoiding the spoiler, my overall opinion is very positive! Definitely my second favorite game after Pirates Curse, and a great entry in terms of gameplay, world building, humor and charm, and design.
I'm hoping that the speedrun ending photo points to the Sirens becoming something of the female equivalent to Barons. Actually, there could be lots of fun interaction between them (imagine Coral enlisted in Ammo Baron's army, Angler Fish working with Hypno Baron or Octo taking a joyride in Squid Baron's brain).

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Oh hecc an unpopular opinion:

I'm tired of hearing people say Pirate's Curse is the best or it's their favourite. Yeah, I know that it's their opinion, and I'm glad that people enjoy it. But I keep hearing it all the time. It's become an endless cycle of circlejerking and it's really annoying. That's why I'm hoping Shantae 6 has the power to surpass Pirate's Curse. To do that, WayForward must come up with something really grand and large scale or they can salvage elements from the cancelled GBA game, which was already really grand and large scale to begin with, and put them into Shantae 6.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

I'm tired of hearing people say Pirate's Curse is the best or it's their favourite. Yeah, I know that it's their opinion, and I'm glad that people enjoy it. But I keep hearing it all the time. It's become an endless cycle of circlejerking and it's really annoying. That's why I'm hoping Shantae 6 has the power to surpass Pirate's Curse. To do that, WayForward must come up with something really grand and large scale or they can salvage elements from the cancelled GBA game, which was already really grand and large scale to begin with, and put them into Shantae 6.
While I don’t think it’s wrong to have a favorite, I do agree with you that I want the series to surpass it. Every game in the series is good, and if Seven Sirens was just a tiny bit longer it absolutely would have surpassed Pirates Curse for me.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
While I don’t think it’s wrong to have a favorite, I do agree with you that I want the series to surpass it. Every game in the series is good, and if Seven Sirens was just a tiny bit longer it absolutely would have surpassed Pirates Curse for me.
I don't think it's wrong to have a favourite either. Super Mario Odyssey is my favourite game of all time, and it earned that title because it impressed me in every single way imaginable.

Here's hoping that Shantae 6 will be much bigger, better and more expansive than all past games combined, even Pirate's Curse.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, it was more of a deal than just coincidence. Besides, Matt Bozon's cousin approached him to ask about putting the Seven Sirens as a apple exclusive for a limited time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

So that you can then move to complaining about people not shutting up about how great that game is instead?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I blame apple. I feel that's why the game felt short ,since they wanted it released on the apple arcade first.
This falls flat when you consider the full game was a simultaneous release, including for Apple Arcade. If anything part 1 let them get feedback for things like the rough user interface. And nothing was stopping them from delaying afterwards if they sought even more polish. Is it Nintendo's fault that Risky's Revenge is even shorter due to it's initial release being on Dsiware?

I can't speak for everyone, but any gripes people may have with the game are Wayforward's creative decisions, no one else's.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We can only guess. Still WayForward does what they think is alright along with Matt Bozon when it comes to the marketing standpoint. Really, we are just only picking up the pieces that only the actual creators knows which piece goes where.
Screenshot_20201031-165245_YouTube.jpg

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
So, has anyone talked to that person who claimed he saw Shantae as a Mii Costume on the Canadian Smash site? He said he'd make a video, but he hasn't. It kinda sounds like he's lying.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
This falls flat when you consider the full game was a simultaneous release, including for Apple Arcade. If anything part 1 let them get feedback for things like the rough user interface. And nothing was stopping them from delaying afterwards if they sought even more polish. Is it Nintendo's fault that Risky's Revenge is even shorter due to it's initial release being on Dsiware?

I can't speak for everyone, but any gripes people may have with the game are Wayforward's creative decisions, no one else's.
Fair enough. Matt did say he wanted this game to be a good entry foe newcomers. I hope 6 brings in more story/character development because the Sirens were wasted. They felt like monsters of the week (reminded me of the zetis from sonic lost world)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It has been said and posted before. I'll post it again for Smash "Leaks"
View attachment 291015
Yet the first thing the thread does when one is seen is do this.

At least for the fake ones. Sturgeon's Law applies to Smash leaks: 90% of them are ********, and only 10% of them are remotely accurate.

The wise thing to do would be to not tell anyone about obvious fakes, at all. 🧐

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
I'm still clinging onto that list of characters Nintendo gave to Sakurai that was leaked on 4chan. It may be part of the 1% where 4chan is correct.
Had Min Min been on that list, I would've been more inclined to believe that it has some legitimacy but as it is, I'm afraid it's no more believable than any other "leak" IMO.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Had Min Min been on that list, I would've been more inclined to believe that it has some legitimacy but as it is, I'm afraid it's no more believable than any other "leak" IMO.
Min-Min not being on the list can be explained. First off, Sakurai personally wanted Ninjara, but Yabuki insisted that Min-Min should get in. Second, I believe the list was made in 2017, around Byleth's time, as he is on the list and Three Houses was in development at the time. ARMS! was just a recently released game on a recently released console. There is no way that Smash discussion was gonna start the moment ARMS! was created. They had to give it time, and eventually they did. Three years later, we got Min-Min.

So there you have it. That's why Min-Min isn't on the list.

Top Bottom