• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
A big thing to keep in mind guys is that sometimes, no comment literally means... no comment.

Its not a guarantee “this person is under NDA” phrase. It just means the company has nothing to say about it, whether legally or literally because there’s nothing to say.

Cool ya jets and take a deep breath. Also isn’t this news a ‘report’ from a zoom meeting that isn’t even publicly available, so it could just be another person stirring up news on a slow day or misinterpreting a different point entirely.
I believe it's doubtful Fortnite is next. It's a little too similar to Steve, plus the tourney to honor the most recent fighter is dedicated to tools which is what someone like Jonesy cannot be without. Not to mention we just received a Western rep. The "can't comment" thing could just be a way of keeping the Game Awards announcement a total secret.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
G
Anyone familiar with the new ToS instated by Twitter? Well, after such a thing happened, most of the Shantae hatedom has gone silent. Twitter was their biggest stronghold, and now the site has turned against them. They've ****ed them. They've ****ed all of them. Glad Twitter has finally decided to take out the trash. They did the right thing.
Good for that broken social media. Finally doing something right.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't see how a new policy would stop that. Possibly just coincidence, unless they're turning against freedom of speech... which is bad.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Regardless of why they stopped , we should continue amplifying our support of her until the very end! (Respectfully of course....but respectfully loud lol) Make her name known!

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Oh, and another thing about Fortnite "can't comment" thing.
Matt Bozon did a similar thing in that interview, and neither Fortnite nor Shantae have gotten anything new added for Smash yet since their ignoring the questions.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They probably are going to announce Fortnite Season 3 or something like that. I'm pretty tired of these Boy Crying Wolf episodes from the Smash fanbase, it's a wonder that those for Steve eventually amounted to something.

That being said, WF are doing another collab:

They should have enough material to cover the rest of their milestones.

That's another part to why I am not really doing speculation outside of sporadic episodes. I can be quite a prick when it comes to opinions, but an even bigger one when people are just being jackasses over something that wouldn't impact the day-to-day lives of people. Sure, the inclusions of characters like Banjo is friggin' large to people like us, but when it comes to normal people or fans who live a relatively normal life, it'd be like a baseball game where your home team wins. It's pretty damn cool, but it's one of those moments that's fleeting, like with Ridley's inclusion.
This. I mean, you don't see people throw a tantrum the moment they get Zonked or Whammyed out in game shows, they're usually good sports about it. Just like how one shouldn't be peeved when their character doesn't make it, you just shrug and try to get better luck next time.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I don't know if people have discussed this on this forum before, but I'll ask you all for your opinion on it since I'm curious. CERO wouldn't have too much of a problem with Shantae, would they? I mean aside from maybe covering up some cleavage and making sure they don't bounce, she should be fine for a E10/A rated game, cause I doubt her belly being exposed or her belly dancing would cause a problem. I think she's fine, but what do you all think?

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I don't know honestly.

People always bring up that Shantae's a Spirit already and that the issue with most of the popular wanted female characters is the pants, which Shantae has covered, but it's still a fact that if Shantae were to be put in the game with her current design she would be showing the most skin out of any character so far. ZSS's sports bra still covers more and Bayo only shows off some skin during brief moments in her attacks.

I still think she has a chance and I'll support her until the end, but it's still the biggest hurdle she's facing in my opinion.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't know honestly.

People always bring up that Shantae's a Spirit already and that the issue with most of the popular wanted female characters is the pants, which Shantae has covered, but it's still a fact that if Shantae were to be put in the game with her current design she would be showing the most skin out of any character so far. ZSS's sports bra still covers more and Bayo only shows off some skin during brief moments in her attacks.

I still think she has a chance and I'll support her until the end, but it's still the biggest hurdle she's facing in my opinion.
More than swim trunks Shulk?

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I don't know honestly.

Yeah, I thought her look might be her only hurdle too which was why I was curious. But personally, aside from what I mentioned earlier, Shantae should still be okay to be in Smash.
More than swim trunks Shulk?
Lolololol, I legit forgot about that outfit 😂

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just can't picture a Fortnite character making it in over the legendary iconic Crash Bandicoot who was once the mascot of the PlayStation and rival of Mario and Sonic.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I guess you can say they truly have a right to do a default dance once the invite is received.
I'm sorry, I'll leave this to change your mind.

Really, I don't see them coming regarding their status on the world right now as a fighter. Best as a Mii Costume most.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
... right, I forgot about that haha. I meant any FEMALE character so far.

... unless you count Jigglypuff.
You might as well be counting Rule 34 incarnate Gardevoir at this point.

It's not about the amount of skin, just the female-specific anatomy. In that regard Shantae only shows small cleavage at best (pants can easily be rendered opaque), which even Bayonetta in her first-game costume has.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I don't know if people have discussed this on this forum before, but I'll ask you all for your opinion on it since I'm curious. CERO wouldn't have too much of a problem with Shantae, would they? I mean aside from maybe covering up some cleavage and making sure they don't bounce, she should be fine for a E10/A rated game, cause I doubt her belly being exposed or her belly dancing would cause a problem. I think she's fine, but what do you all think?
Here's Blue Mary who you see on Terry's stage with about the same amount of clothing as Shantae.

Blue.png

So yeah just give Shantae a bigger top if it's deemed an issue.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as CERO treatment of scantily-clad characters go, it's an odd case-by-case basis, but the most consistent cases I've noticed is that the entirely human (or human-looking enough by appearance) ones whose thigh exposure is comfortably too close to supposedly exposing the ahem, "panty" area, gets censored. Cleavage censorship is even less consistent, as a handful do get that (often with aforementioned thigh covering up), but several others don't.

So in light of that, the best thing Shantae has going for her is that her bottom half wardrobe is no issue at all. At most, they'd just need to lift her bedlah pants up slightly and not be opaque.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
As far as CERO treatment of scantily-clad characters go, it's an odd case-by-case basis, but the most consistent cases I've noticed is that the entirely human (or human-looking enough by appearance) ones whose thigh exposure is comfortably too close to supposedly exposing the ahem, "panty" area, gets censored. Cleavage censorship is even less consistent, as a handful do get that (often with aforementioned thigh covering up), but several others don't.

So in light of that, the best thing Shantae has going for her is that her bottom half wardrobe is no issue at all. At most, they'd just need to lift her bedlah pants up slightly and not be opaque.
I suppose.

Still, this begs the question, why would CERO only now act up, when they were completely fine with her spirit.
A lot of spirits were censored, but the Shantae-Spirit made it through without any censors.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mai clearly pushes it for certain ratings, and don't forget they reduced ZSS's breasts size. They seem to care about that for some reason.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
LRG finally confirmed the collector's edition will ship out next week.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
If it means anything, the physical release of Seven Sirens in Japan has recieved a CERO B, so there may be objections. In all fairness, however, I think it's a lot more about the Empress and maybe the "magical armor" pieces than about Shantae herself. As for the pants, I think if they were to use this as the basis, they would be opaque instead of translucent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom