• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yep 😁 I had a lot of time on my hands this weekend. Technically tho I started playing Risky's Revenge last Tuesday and finally beat it on Saturday, whereas I played and beat Seven Sirens in a little over a day this same weekend. I already beat Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero a while ago, which leaves the GBC game as the only Shantae game I haven't played yet. That'll change some time soon 😄
The first and only time I ever first played a game and beat a game on day one was when I first played Super Mario 3D World. I beated it 100% blind in 8 or 9 hours.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Where did I mention "4Chan Leaks" specifically? :/

But more importantly, I feel like Smash Fans that partake in speculation, leak talk and character boosting, fall into the trap of the "Backfire Effect" that the comic I linked was talking about.
That was the point of my post.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman

But more importantly, I feel like Smash Fans that partake in speculation, leak talk and character boosting, fall into the trap of the "Backfire Effect" that the comic I linked was talking about.
Oh, that's what you were referring to.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

Ah yes. I remember when when I used to watch all the channels that covered Smash speculation/leaks constantly. I'm glad I got out of it 😒

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Speculation can be fun, but if people are too invested then they become aggressive or defensive about certain points and then it's not as fun. That's how I see it.

No use trying to make out speculation itself to be something not worthwhile, everyone can have their fun, it's just good, in my opinion, to have open discussion rather than debates. Some people like debates.. I find them kind of frustrating.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
You are missing the point.
It's not about speculation itself. In fact, this isn't limited to just speculation, but anything that is tied to people's wishes.

So when people hear about things that strengthen their desires, they fall into the trap of the "Backfire Effect".
Anything that goes against our desires and beliefs triggers the exact same "Fight or Flight" reaction in our brain, as if we're attacked by a predator.
Our brain can't differentiate. Anything that is not with us, no matter how harmless it actually is, is perceived as a threat.

And we see how this ends in the context of the Smash fandom and their desires: The characters they wish for.
Believing the things that tell them what they want to hear, gatekeeping, elitism, fan-rules, etc.
You name it.
It's basically a fight for dominance. Just like wild animals fight over territory in the wildlife.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
It's not about speculation itself. In fact, this isn't limited to just speculation, but anything that is tied to people's wishes.

So when people hear about things that strengthen their desires, they fall into the trap of the "Backfire Effect".
Anything that goes against our desires and beliefs triggers the exact same "Fight or Flight" reaction in our brain, as if we're attacked by a predator.
Our brain can't differentiate. Anything that is not with us, no matter how harmless it actually is, is perceived as a threat.

And we see how this ends in the context of the Smash fandom and their desires: The characters they wish for.
Believing the things that tell them what they want to hear, gatekeeping, elitism, fan-rules, etc.
You name it.
It's basically a fight for dominance. Just like wild animals fight over territory in the wildlife.
This is why no matter how many fan rules get broken, new ones will appear.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

You name it.
It's called bias lol. Humans have it. Nothing new.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
This is why no matter how many fan rules get broken, new ones will appear.
Pretty much
Except these new fan rules are generally half-assed and have little to no support.
Doesn't matter.
People are going to believe them no matter what, as long as they feel their own side is supported and opposing ones eliminated.

I mean the comic I linked perfectly outlines that in these situations, logic and facts don't matter.
People just vehemently reject anything that opposes them, out of emotion and primitive instinct.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pretty much

Doesn't matter.
People are going to believe them no matter what, as long as they feel their own side is supported and opposing ones eliminated.

I mean the comic I linked perfectly outlines that in these situations, logic and facts don't matter.
People just vehemently reject anything that opposes them, out of emotion and primitive instinct.
Some people do. Or rather, everyone does to various degrees. Even you're fighting for your point right now as if it matters. It doesn't really. People are gonna do what they gonna do. You get to choose whether you make yourself part of it or not. Everyone's biased even when we can be impartial to a certain degree. My favorite talks are the ones where it's all good and we realize it doesn't matter too much but we can talk or speculate or anything so long as we enjoy it or it has meaning to us.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Oh great, now that clickbait website Dexerto is covering that mathematics video. First they reported on the Shantae interview from June, months after it was conducted, and now this. When will they ever learn?

Doesn't matter.
Still though, these new fan rules are very weak and lack any semblance of common sense.

Last edited:

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Oh great, now that clickbait website Dexerto is covering that mathematics video. First they reported on the Shantae interview from June, months after it was conducted, and now this. When will they ever learn?

Still though, these new fan rules are very weak and lack any semblance of common sense.
This is the second time I see this. How do you know the interview was conducted before it was posted? I'm genuinely interested.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys. Now I wanna talk about something that is less conventional here, but I just wanna get this off my chest. It made me uncomfortable, and I feel like expressing my feelings to a larger group of people rather than just a few individuals. Remember that Apocalypso fellow who showed up here that one time because someone linked one of his speculation videos here? Well, I used to be friends with him but I broke off relations with him in September as I realised the truth about him. He made me really uncomfortable. Before I explain, please do not ping him here. Things will only spiral into drama and we do not want that here.

So, on October 22nd, Apocalypso declared he can't be a Christian and a Shantae fan due to his personal beliefs that sexualisation is wrong, and so he dropped out of the Shantae for Smash train and privated all his Shantae videos. However, he isn't a normal Christian. He is a far-right Christian, believing every other religion is false and saying they would go to Hell, believing the US should be a theocracy, saying NSFW should be banned outright (as well as having a never ending grudge against horniness and sexualisation of any kind) etc. Not a racist, fascist or a Nazi, but still. On Reddit, he got downvoted and lambasted for believing in the sexualisation thing. The way he talks is really creepy and unnerving too. All of this combined made me really uncomfortable around him and so in September, I ditched him. He is an absurd, crazy person and I don't want anything to do with him.

I'm not trying to break any rules here, and I am aware that this isn't the kind of thing people want to talk about here. I'm just trying to warn you guys to stay away from him and other people like him.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Alright guys. Now I wanna talk about something that is less conventional here, but I just wanna get this off my chest. It made me uncomfortable, and I feel like expressing my feelings to a larger group of people rather than just a few individuals. Remember that Apocalypso fellow who showed up here that one time because someone linked one of his speculation videos here? Well, I used to be friends with him but I broke off relations with him in September as I realised the truth about him. He made me really uncomfortable. Before I explain, please do not ping him here. Things will only spiral into drama and we do not want that here.

So, on October 22nd, Apocalypso declared he can't be a Christian and a Shantae fan due to his personal beliefs that sexualisation is wrong, and so he dropped out of the Shantae for Smash train and privated all his Shantae videos. However, he isn't a normal Christian. He is a far-right Christian, believing every other religion is false and saying they would go to Hell, believing the US should be a theocracy, saying NSFW should be banned outright (as well as having a never ending grudge against horniness and sexualisation of any kind) etc. Not a racist, fascist or a Nazi, but still. On Reddit, he got downvoted and lambasted for believing in the sexualisation thing. The way he talks is really creepy and unnerving too. All of this combined made me really uncomfortable around him and so in September, I ditched him. He is an absurd, crazy person and I don't want anything to do with him.

I'm not trying to break any rules here, and I am aware that this isn't the kind of thing people want to talk about here. I'm just trying to warn you guys to stay away from him and other people like him.
I've never heard of this person until now. But okay I'll take you at your word.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Someone claimed he spotted Shantae as a Mii costume in Smash website which it’s in Canada. I was watching Bomberman vs bosses in Smash video thing and I saw something in the comment about Shantae is a Mii costume because he spotted her in Smash website in Canada. If that’s really the case, I’m done. I‘ll just think Sakurai is cruel for doing that and WayForward and Matt being cruel for leading us to disappointmeant. Thanks for nothing Nintendo, Sakurai and WayForward! Idk how to send images but I have a video with a comment down below:https://youtu.be/WqTa8860eh4. Goodbye Shantae drops tears

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Someone claimed he spotted Shantae as a Mii costume in Smash website which it’s in Canada. I was watching Bomberman vs bosses in Smash video thing and I saw something in the comment about Shantae is a Mii costume because he spotted her in Smash website in Canada. If that’s really the case, I’m done. I‘ll just think Sakurai is cruel for doing that and WayForward and Matt being cruel for leading us to disappointmeant. Thanks for nothing Nintendo, Sakurai and WayForward! Idk how to send images but I have a video with a comment down below:https://youtu.be/WqTa8860eh4. Goodbye Shantae drops tears
A) a Youtube comment isn't a reliable source

B) I am Canadian, and there's nothing on the site about that in either English or French

C) if that comment about Wayforward or Matt being cruel is because of them not responding to an AMA question about Smash despite them usually being enthusiastic about that sort of thing, the exact same scenario happened with Travis Touchdown (where his creator, Suda51, uncharacteristically said "no comment" shortly before he was revealed as a Mii costume)

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I
A) a Youtube comment isn't a reliable source

B) I am Canadian, and there's nothing on the site about that in either English or French

C) if that comment about Wayforward or Matt being cruel is because of them not responding to an AMA question about Smash despite them usually being enthusiastic about that sort of thing, the exact same scenario happened with Travis Touchdown (where his creator, Suda51, uncharacteristically said "no comment" shortly before he was revealed as a Mii costume)
I know about the same scenario with Suda51 and thats why I’m really afraid of that. Either it leads to disappointment or something, I’m really afraid of that. I’m sorry to feel like this but I have some anxiety problems with something leading towards Shantae being a Mii costume and I don’t want to tolerate that because that will actually ruined it.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The last one for 2020 to be exact.
Huh, didn't know that. Anyway, my highlight from the mini news drop.
Bravely Default II release date.
Screenshot_20201028-093716_YouTube.jpg
No More Heroes 1 and 2 seems to be available for download later today. With No More Heroes 3 coming soon.
Want to try Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity? Demo is now avavilable to try it out.
Screenshot_20201028-094004_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention said youtube comment said “it’s right there I’ll take a video of it”. One week later and no such video.
I took notice of that too. There is only one video on his channel, and it's about Sonic the Hedgehog, and it was also released 7 months ago.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if I’m being an idiot but I sometimes have some anxiety problems about my only most wanted character. I guess it’s just one of those things from what I’m seeing is Smash fans and people being greedy for wanting more characters after they already got theirs. You know how greedy those kind of Smash fans can be. They got Banjo, they got Steve and now they want Crash. Aren‘t y’all satisfied already and you think it’s not enough and you still want more?! Why can’t we have one too?!

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if I’m being an idiot but I sometimes have some anxiety problems about my only most wanted character. I guess it’s just one of those things from what I’m seeing is Smash fans and people being greedy for wanting more characters after they already got theirs. You know how greedy those kind of Smash fans can be. They got Banjo, they got Steve and now they want Crash. Aren‘t y’all satisfied already and you think it’s not enough and you still want more?! Why can’t we have one too?!
It’s ok to be anxious over it, but you have to remember that it’s physically impossible for the DLC to please every person on the planet. There’s only 4 more slots, there’s a chance Shantae is one of them, but there’s also a chance she isn’t. It’s not because of malice on anyone’s part, it’s just how things are. And it’s certainly not worrying yourself to a bad place over.

As for fans... well, of course fans will always want more. Yes they got Banjo and Steve, but are they all the exact same people asking for Crash? And even if they are, why shouldn’t they be? If Shantae got in, you can still want other characters too.

And unless Sakurai comes out and says “this character will NEVER be in Smash Bros”, that means there’s always a chance for this game or the next.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I'm relieved that my comment warning you all of who Apocalypso truly is didn't break the rules here. Insane, highly hypocritical people like him do not belong on the Internet whatsoever.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I don't know if this'll help, but try not to let those kinds of people bother you. As someone who suffers from anxiety myself, especially when I'm at my job, something as minor as internet drama over Smash characters doesn't faze me anymore. Even when I was the one of the only people online supporting Byleth I chose not to worry about everybody else hating on him because I had enough in problems to worry about during that time. Please don't let things like that guy's video get you down like that, especially when it sounds like mostly bull anyway.

It’s ok to be anxious over it, but you have to remember that it’s physically impossible for the DLC to please every person on the planet. There’s only 4 more slots, there’s a chance Shantae is one of them, but there’s also a chance she isn’t. It’s not because of malice on anyone’s part, it’s just how things are. And it’s certainly not worrying yourself to a bad place over.

As for fans... well, of course fans will always want more. Yes they got Banjo and Steve, but are they all the exact same people asking for Crash? And even if they are, why shouldn’t they be? If Shantae got in, you can still want other characters too.

And unless Sakurai comes out and says “this character will NEVER be in Smash Bros”, that means there’s always a chance for this game or the next.
THIS! After I got finally got Banjo & Kazooie, there are still a few other characters I'm hopeful for, but the odds of me getting all of them is too high. It would take a miracle formy dream final 4 to happen: Shantae, Rex, Crash and Ryu Hayabusa. Smash Ultimate is already great and pretty much close to perfect in my eyes anyway.

Top Bottom