• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so what do you guys think of the five voice slots left behind after Steve's addition to Smash and Sakurai's Tweet about two clocks? Personally, if we are getting a character with a male and female counterpart, it could be any slot, but probably not the eighth slot. As for Sakurai's Tweet about two clocks, I don't think it means Crash and Sora (cough cough Disney cough cough) are getting in. He doesn't tease DLC through Tweets. He just posts random Smash pics whenever he pleases.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so what do you guys think of the five voice slots left behind after Steve's addition to Smash and Sakurai's Tweet about two clocks? Personally, if we are getting a character with a male and female counterpart, it could be any slot, but probably not the eighth slot. As for Sakurai's Tweet about two clocks, I don't think it means Crash and Sora (cough cough Disney cough cough) are getting in. He doesn't tease DLC through Tweets. He just posts random Smash pics whenever he pleases.
In regards to the clocks, it’s 100% a coincidence. Namely because they don’t actually match up - the clock on the right reads 10:30 in Sakurai’s pic and it’s 5:50 on N. Tropy’s hat; the hour and minute hands are reversed. An incredible coincidence, but a coincidence all the same.

As for the voice slots, no idea. There’s so many characters that can have a two voice variant that there’s almost too much to speculate Basically any Avatar character like Robin, Corrin, Wii Fit, etc. since they can have a male/female variant. I just don’t think it will be an echo fighter situation, they were pretty clear that the DLC wouldn’t include echo fighters since it would change the price value of each fighter pack. Then again, the value of each pack also varies based on music, Terry gets you 50 songs for the same price as Hero’s 8...

Part of me wants to think that if a Pokémon rep is inevitable, it would then be Toxtricity using two voice slots with its two forms as alts; one with energetic vocals and electric guitar sound effects, one with more laid back vocals and bass guitar sound effects.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
In regards to the clocks, it’s 100% a coincidence. Namely because they don’t actually match up - the clock on the right reads 10:30 in Sakurai’s pic and it’s 5:50 on N. Tropy’s hat; the hour and minute hands are reversed. An incredible coincidence, but a coincidence all the same.

As for the voice slots, no idea. There’s so many characters that can have a two voice variant that there’s almost too much to speculate Basically any Avatar character like Robin, Corrin, Wii Fit, etc. since they can have a male/female variant. I just don’t think it will be an echo fighter situation, they were pretty clear that the DLC wouldn’t include echo fighters since it would change the price value of each fighter pack. Then again, the value of each pack also varies based on music, Terry gets you 50 songs for the same price as Hero’s 8...

Part of me wants to think that if a Pokémon rep is inevitable, it would then be Toxtricity using two voice slots with its two forms as alts; one with energetic vocals and electric guitar sound effects, one with more laid back vocals and bass guitar sound effects.
Toxtricity would be very cool and "could" justify two voices (tho I don't know if they will treat the two forms having two voices when it shows up in the anime so who really knows) However, I feel it wouldn't be on top of the Pokemon Companies picks. Sakurai has said that when looking for new pokemon he asks TPC who a good choice would be and they so far always offer him the flavor of the month pokemon they want to promote most. Lucario, Greninja and most recently Incineroar.

So far, I haven't seen TPC give Toxtricity the same kind of attention and promotion that those three have gotten. Lucario debuted in a movie before it's generation showed up and both Greninja and Incineroar made many notable appearances in their seasons of the anime.

Now this season of the anime is odd, because it has ash traveling through all the regions which means his team is composed of a mix of generations (tho at least three gen 1 with pikachu, Dragonite and Gengar) The anime has also traditionally been a little less than fair to electric types in the past. Since Pikachu is an electric type, that means there is no room for one on Ash's team. And usually the generations pikachu clone gets adopted by one of Ash's companions, taking away another possible spot for any non pika electric type.

So, Ash won't have a Toxtricity, there are no Galar Gym leaders who use it (even the poison trainer added in the DLC doesn't use it, but if she shows in the anime she still could) And if Ash's companion, Goh, get an electric type there is a strong chance of it being Morpeko (tho that's not set in stone)

And we know from Incineroar that fan popularity isn't enough, since far and away Decidueye was much more popular than Incineroar was (and would have been less redundant as there wasn't already a final grass starter in smash like there was with the fire starters) So if who TPC wants to push most is the most important factor, I don't think Toxtricity has much of a chance, as much as I would love it (it, Graploct or Dragapult all would have been very welcome by me)

However, I don't think a pokemon is inevitable. Certainly possible, but no where near a guarantee. This year they aren't pushing pokemon that hard it seems. They haven't dropped support, but it's much more low-key then it would usually be. They said the DLC would be done in place of the traditional third version, but they certainly aren't selling it as hard as they would a third version. I could be wrong, but Sword and Shield don't seem like where Nintendo feels they need to focus this year.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I would say that we would get at least one brand-deal character in this Fighter's Pass as well.
Just as it was the case with Byleth.
And the two biggest candidates for this, are either Pokemon or Fire Emblem yet again.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I would say that we would get at least one brand-deal character in this Fighter's Pass as well.
Just as it was the case with Byleth.
And the two biggest candidates for this, are either Pokemon or Fire Emblem yet again.
I wouldn't count Zelda out. BotW prequel this year to promote and possibly the sequel to promote next year.

As for FE, I don't follow that series much, do they already have another new game announced, or are you saying that prompting the international release of Shadow Dragon is where a promotional fighter is likely?

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't count Zelda out. BotW prequel this year to promote and possibly the sequel to promote next year.

As for FE, I don't follow that series much, do they already have another new game announced, or are you saying that prompting the international release of Shadow Dragon is where a promotional fighter is likely?
Fire Emblem characters are usually revealed as part of a promotion for the upcoming content for the Fire Emblem series. As of now, we have nothing of the sort.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Except Smash Bros has no precedent of promoting Zelda at all.
But it always jumps at any opportunity to milk Fire Emblem.
So yeah, I wouldn't put it past this game, to randomly put in another Fire Emblem character, just because...

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Toxtricity would be very cool and "could" justify two voices (tho I don't know if they will treat the two forms having two voices when it shows up in the anime so who really knows) However, I feel it wouldn't be on top of the Pokemon Companies picks. Sakurai has said that when looking for new pokemon he asks TPC who a good choice would be and they so far always offer him the flavor of the month pokemon they want to promote most. Lucario, Greninja and most recently Incineroar.

So far, I haven't seen TPC give Toxtricity the same kind of attention and promotion that those three have gotten. Lucario debuted in a movie before it's generation showed up and both Greninja and Incineroar made many notable appearances in their seasons of the anime.

Now this season of the anime is odd, because it has ash traveling through all the regions which means his team is composed of a mix of generations (tho at least three gen 1 with pikachu, Dragonite and Gengar) The anime has also traditionally been a little less than fair to electric types in the past. Since Pikachu is an electric type, that means there is no room for one on Ash's team. And usually the generations pikachu clone gets adopted by one of Ash's companions, taking away another possible spot for any non pika electric type.

So, Ash won't have a Toxtricity, there are no Galar Gym leaders who use it (even the poison trainer added in the DLC doesn't use it, but if she shows in the anime she still could) And if Ash's companion, Goh, get an electric type there is a strong chance of it being Morpeko (tho that's not set in stone)

And we know from Incineroar that fan popularity isn't enough, since far and away Decidueye was much more popular than Incineroar was (and would have been less redundant as there wasn't already a final grass starter in smash like there was with the fire starters) So if who TPC wants to push most is the most important factor, I don't think Toxtricity has much of a chance, as much as I would love it (it, Graploct or Dragapult all would have been very welcome by me)

However, I don't think a pokemon is inevitable. Certainly possible, but no where near a guarantee. This year they aren't pushing pokemon that hard it seems. They haven't dropped support, but it's much more low-key then it would usually be. They said the DLC would be done in place of the traditional third version, but they certainly aren't selling it as hard as they would a third version. I could be wrong, but Sword and Shield don't seem like where Nintendo feels they need to focus this year.
Oh I 100% agree that Tox is NOT the most likely Pokémon, even though I want it to. It definitely got a lot of early popularity, scoring second in its Generation for the Pokemon Day popularity poll (and even getting 14th or so across ALL gens, so clearly it got a lot of early hype). And I THOUGHT that TPC was going to push it more, with how it’s one of the few Pokémon that got a post-launch Gigantamax form, one that was teased as early as the game’s first announcement (it’s the Pokémon depicted in the Nazca lines, you can tell by the tail, lighting sparks, and poison cloud details)... but then they basically didn’t do anything else with it. I’m hoping they will, but it just doesn’t seem like it.

And while yeah I said a Pokémon rep is “inevitable” was more of a hyperbolic joke, but I do think that with how well Sword and Shield did (for better or for worse) we could still be very likely to see a Pokémon put into the DLC. Even though the DLC was decided before Sw/SH’s release, Sakurai’s gotten info on Pokémon prior to their game’s actual reveal before, like Greninja.

And while yes, the games are already a year old now so there’s no real need to push them... sun and moon were two years old and the ultra games were a year old when Incineroar joined. So the immediate recency is less important than Pokémon’s long term promotion.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I just know whatever Sakurai teases, it's not a simple hint. Before Byleth the dude made a 3 fingered gesture that me and others believed it could've teased Travis 'cause NMH3 but was actually 17 in binary and Three Houses was the 17th FE game. So with these clocks, it could mean anything: maybe it refers to a character's game(s) being once stuck in the past but is now moving forward, maybe the clockwise/counter clockwise is symbolizing gender being opposites too so we could get another fighter with male/female alts again, or maybe it's just Sakurai making random pictures he thinks look cool.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I just know whatever Sakurai teases, it's not a simple hint. Before Byleth the dude made a 3 fingered gesture that me and others believed it could've teased Travis 'cause NMH3 but was actually 13 in binary and Three Houses was the 13th FE game. So with these clocks, it could mean anything: maybe it refers to a character's game(s) being once stuck in the past but is now moving forward, maybe the clockwise/counter clockwise is symbolizing gender being opposites too so we could get another fighter with male/female alts again, or maybe it's just Sakurai making random pictures he thinks look cool.
Not to discount the rest of your post, just wanted to point out it was 17 in binary and the 17th FE game.

But that’s an interesting way to look at it if it is indeed a hint and not just a cool picture.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Bruh, the person who made this video linked in the website clearly hasn't done their research. He cites Shantae as a mathematical failure due to "Gender", "East/West" and "Era". How stupid is that? First off, gender and era do not determine the chances of a character getting into Smash or not. Second, Shantae has been a success in both the East (as evidenced by the hype leading up to Shantae and the Seven Sirens in Japan) and the West (for obvious reasons). Just see this garbage for yourselves and tell me what you think: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020/oct/25/likelihood-requested-ssbu-dlc-mathematically/

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so what do you guys think of the five voice slots left behind after Steve's addition to Smash
They could just not fill that space or even go beyond it. It's no different than thinking that the CSS will be filled to make a complete rectangle (which is always different depending on which mode you're playing).

Bruh, the person who made this video linked in the website clearly hasn't done their research. He cites Shantae as a mathematical failure due to "Gender", "East/West" and "Era". How stupid is that? First off, gender and era do not determine the chances of a character getting into Smash or not. Second, Shantae has been a success in both the East (as evidenced by the hype leading up to Shantae and the Seven Sirens in Japan) and the West (for obvious reasons). Just see this garbage for yourselves and tell me what you think: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020/oct/25/likelihood-requested-ssbu-dlc-mathematically/
It's a really dumb joke video that's the 4th in a series where he makes very strict rules to come up with probability rates based on patterns and trends established by the first Fighters Pass. It definitely comes off as sexist when you discuss probability based on gender, but it's clearly not intended to be taken seriously, and he's said he wants to be proven wrong. It's just a dumb joke series for fun. His video where he ranks each Animal Crossing villager on their edibility is funnier.

Honestly, I'm more disgusted EventHubs is publishing articles on joke videos. Must be a really slow news day or they're trolling their readers. lol

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Besides the fact that Eventhubs is a pretty bad site for getting news since they pretty much only repost things other people have reported on, watch the video. It’s very clearly done as a tongue in cheek joke while having fun about “mathematically” proving who will be the DLC. Hell, the original video posted before Min Min was announced said that Birdo was a lock for the DLC. That should tell you enough.

If anything, I actually like his videos more than the most common “speculation” video that just parrots the latest popular rumor mill characters. I maybe heard people ask for Ryu Hayabusa maybe 3 times before Ultimate came out. Now all of a sudden he’s been on everyone’s top ten list forever and they just forgot to mention him before.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Besides the fact that Eventhubs is a pretty bad site for getting news since they pretty much only repost things other people have reported on, watch the video. It’s very clearly done as a tongue in cheek joke while having fun about “mathematically” proving who will be the DLC. Hell, the original video posted before Min Min was announced said that Birdo was a lock for the DLC. That should tell you enough.

If anything, I actually like his videos more than the most common “speculation” video that just parrots the latest popular rumor mill characters. I maybe heard people ask for Ryu Hayabusa maybe 3 times before Ultimate came out. Now all of a sudden he’s been on everyone’s top ten list forever and they just forgot to mention him before.
Oh, I didn't watch the whole thing. So, the whole "using math to determine which character gets in or not" shtick is all just a joke? Well, he got me.

Also Giga Man Giga Man , sorry for not seeing your edited response.

Last edited:

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Oh, I didn't watch the whole thing. So, the whole "using math to determine which character gets in or not" shtick is all just a joke? Well, he got me.

Also Giga Man Giga Man , sorry for not seeing your edited response.
Watch his very first video of the series. He explains everything there but yea, not something to take serious. Just fun.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Hey everybody! Just thought I'd come in to show my support for Shantae! I admittedly haven't really visited this forum much due to me thinking initially that Shantae wasn't coming after Fighter Pass 1. But after Min Min was promoted from Spirit to Fighter, my hope for Shantae has shot back up to the point where she's once again one of my most requested characters for Smash Ultimate DLC alongside Rex & Pyra, Crash Bandicoot and Ryu Hayabusa! Not to mention I finally got around to playing and beating both Risky's Revenge and Seven Sirens during the weekend 😄 Let's hope Shantae finally comes to playable roster soon!

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Hey everybody! Just thought I'd come in to show my support for Shantae! I admittedly haven't really visited this forum much due to me thinking initially that Shantae wasn't coming after Fighter Pass 1. But after Min Min was promoted from Spirit to Fighter, my hope for Shantae has shot back up to the point where she's once again one of my most requested characters for Smash Ultimate DLC alongside Rex & Pyra, Crash Bandicoot and Ryu Hayabusa! Not to mention I finally got around to playing and beating both Risky's Revenge and Seven Sirens during the weekend 😄 Let's hope Shantae finally comes to playable roster soon!
A fellow Shantae and Rex supporter?

I like the cut of your jib.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Thanks for showing support! Hopefully she makes it 😁

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I really hope because she’s all I want. Without her well honestly it will be so heartbroken
because I think Smash fans are now being too greedy after Banjo and Steve. Now they want Crash and more while our one character never got in yet. If you’re not familiar with AnimeBroMii then I want to talk about that weeb or weirdo. I used to watch his videos and his gameplay videos but I stopped because I start to think he has some type of obsessive-compulsive like his imaginary friends are Mario and Sonic characters. Not for fun I think. For actually being friends with them in reality even know they’re toys and he’s a grown ass man. I see why but I think he seems bit obsessed with Nintendo, Anime and Smash stuff and I find myself feeling uncomfortable from seeing him who’s name is Angi and his brother Issac. He got Banjo and he was shocked and hyperactive seeing him in Smash and he demands Nintendo to make Banjo-Kazooie remake pronto. First of all, Rare develops Banjo-Kazooie. Not Nintendo and second of all, I think he’s being way too excited and guess what? He now wants Crash. Doesn‘t he already got Banjo? He should be happy already and he thinks it’s not enough and want Crash? Bruh! Don’t get too greedy! I don’t know why he wants Crash now. I guess it’s because his friends with Crash toy as well and a fan of Crash. Idk. He was even scared if Crash ends up being a Mii costume after Banjo as a fighter while reacting to the Mii costumes along with Steve. Even if Crash ends up being a Mii costume, Angi might cry and act like a manchild like he was with Byleth and I guess Piranha Plant and think to himself that he’s disappointed with those two. I think Angi from AnimeBroMii has obsessive-compulsive so I ditched AnimeBroMii community because Angi is too weird. Keep that in mind, those are my opinions and what’s right for me. You don’t have to agree with me. I’m not always right but if you do agree with me, cool.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget that Steve has shot down the "Indies cannot be Fighters" fan rule thanks to him being a former indie character. That is the final nail in the coffin for everyone gatekeeping Shantae, right up there with Min-Min shooting down the "Spirits deconfirm" fan rule.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, they still got "Smash is only for Good Boys and Girls" argument to hold.

Also, how many milestones are left for WayForward to post before the year is over. There is two months (about to move over towards November after Halloween on Sunday) left in 2020.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman

Also, how many milestones are left for WayForward to post before the year is over. There is two months (about to move over towards November after Halloween on Sunday) left in 2020.
Ahem. Bayonetta easily deconfirms "Smash is only for Good Boys and Girls", regardless of the violence being toned down.

I guess all that's left is the first game getting released for Switch and GBC.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I think that Shantae's first adventure on the GBC may be released somewhere in either November or December. In the LRG presentation, both were set to be released in September.

Now, Risky's Revenge was released on Oct 15.
I find that odd. Why was RR delayed by one month? More importantly, why weren't they released in September?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I really don't know who's going to be the last characters. I didn't expect minecraft but it's big so it makes sense. but there aren't really super big names left except maybe Sora which apparently isn't getting in because of Disney. So it's anybody's game now.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, should the next Smash Fighter be Shantae and her reveal is at The Game Awards 2020, the first game being released alongside the announcement would be 100 IQ timing in my book.
100 IQ is the average amount (not sure if you were going for something high instead), and it seems unlikely that a character's announcement at the Game Awards would be tied to a re-release of a ten-year-old game. (especially when we've only had one Smash announcement at the Game Awards before, and the rest were in Directs or Sakurai presentations)

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
100 IQ is the average amount (not sure if you were going for something high instead), and it seems unlikely that a character's announcement at the Game Awards would be tied to a re-release of a ten-year-old game. (especially when we've only had one Smash announcement at the Game Awards before, and the rest were in Directs or Sakurai presentations)
Well, Japan is getting involved at this year's Game Awards show. We could be getting more Nintendo stuff as a result. Also, there have been some character reveals tied to upcoming content for their franchises. Shantae having all her games on Switch is a plus too.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
While I really dont know what to think about the milestones, but I did think it would go all the way to 30.
You know how Steve/Alex got delayed, well just saying, some things got delayed :p
2020 hasn't been a good year thanks to the pandemic. So it is natural people need breaks at times.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Jokes aside, it actually doesn’t. Besides the Bayo example already provided, Shantae already made it into the game uncensored, unlike Camilla, Tharja, Mythra, and yes, Mai Shiranui. She’s good boy and girl approved!

The joke was mostly made in reference to the Japanese rating board CERO; Sakurai mentioned it in an interview during Smash 4. To keep the age rating at an A, they had to give everyone with skirts the black void treatment, even trophies, hence why that happened compared to earlier games. Essentially if you can look up someone’s skirt, that’s a higher age rating by Japan’s CERO game standards.

But Shantae’s wearing pants!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Welcome. Also, you played and beat both Risky's Revenge and Seven Sirens for the first time this past weekend?! That's amazing.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Welcome. Also, you played and beat both Risky's Revenge and Seven Sirens for the first time this past weekend?! That's amazing.
Yep 😁 I had a lot of time on my hands this weekend. Technically tho I started playing Risky's Revenge last Tuesday and finally beat it on Saturday, whereas I played and beat Seven Sirens in a little over a day this same weekend. I already beat Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero a while ago, which leaves the GBC game as the only Shantae game I haven't played yet. That'll change some time soon 😄

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Last edited:
Top Bottom