• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I wanna do something fun, I've posted occasionally, a collage of all the possible characters I could think of to be DLC for Smash, being super generous as ****. I want everyone/anyone here to tell me who to cross out and we can play a game of "Who's still likely in the Smash Collage".

Collage for reference.

Sure I'll play. Gex.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Min Min is already the rep for ARMS and Byleth for Three houses, so the rest are done.
Obvious to remove characters that has joined as a fighter. Steve(with Alex, Zombie and Enderman to follow along. Also, Pig, Creeper and Diamond Armor as Mii Costumes)
Assist Trophy Characters are possibly out for fighter so far.
Smaller and/or lesser known franchises may not or even match others.
Those that are Mii Costumes are out. (In DLC yes, but base reveal may still change that. Rex and Pyra for one.)
Indie characters has hit left and right as a Special Mii Costume (ones that follow with a Music Track from their origin) and Shovel Knight as AT. There could be a chance for Fighter like Quote (maybe not due to company issues), Shantae, The Knight, Gunvolt, Reimu or Frisk?(alone or with Chara thanks to the Karma that affects the story). The others may fit as another special Mii Costume. (Freddy Fazbear coming as a brawler costume)

For the rest, I still don't know where are they going and did Sakurai decided to do the selected character(s) in the remaining slots waiting to be revealed.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
All the people who try and deconfirm someone like Shantae are just a bunch of salty idiots who want circlejerked characters.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So No More Heroes 3 will be coming out in 2021, and Travis (No More Heroes) got a mii costume. And Bakugan will be releasing a new game in collaboration with Wayforward in November 2020. So could we be getting a Dragonoid (Bakugan) mii costume?

Yes, Bakugan is a videogame franchise, but it has been obscure since the mid-2010s. Its videogames were originally planned to release before the tabletop game. The tabletop game and anime were solely to promote the videogames.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Bakugan getting any representation at all would be hilarious cause so many people (myself included previously) think it started as a toy/tabletop game and the games were to promote that. I can just imagine the memes involving Dan from Bakugan beating up Goku.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Bakugan getting any representation at all would be hilarious cause so many people (myself included previously) think it started as a toy/tabletop game and the games were to promote that. I can just imagine the memes involving Dan from Bakugan beating up Goku.
I'm correct that Bakugan was originally planned to debut as a videogame. Thus, we can still get Bakugan representation in Smash.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm correct that Bakugan was originally planned to debut as a videogame. Thus, we can still get Bakugan representation in Smash.
I think it more matters on what the franchise was conceived as more than what the public first saw. For example, the first piece of He-man media the public was aware of was the animated series, but that show was made because there was a toy line going into production and they wanted a show to get people interested in the characters.

Now this is just an assumption on my part, but based on how the bakugan characters in the anime and in the games still look like little toy balls, I believe the franchise was planned to be a toy first and the anime and video games were planned ahead of the toy release to get people interested.

What company owns the Bakugan franchise? that might give a little more insight as what they were first panned to be before anything else.

Dukefire

Smash Master
As long there are slots still open with no deconfirmation yet from WF and Matt, there is a chance for her past people's chance rating.

Also, here is a Shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist:MrMadMouth

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
By the way remember Billy's rating of Shantae isn't gospel and it's only his personal thoughts. You can clear up any mistakes he made in the comments respectfully and keep civil if you're doing it. One of the reasons he quit YouTube for a while was because some people got way too heated with him rating their favorite characters less than they wanted him to

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I think it more matters on what the franchise was conceived as more than what the public first saw. For example, the first piece of He-man media the public was aware of was the animated series, but that show was made because there was a toy line going into production and they wanted a show to get people interested in the characters.
That's a great comparison! To compare, the Bakugan tabletop game and anime were released before the videogames. However, the Bakugan videogames were planned first, and then the tabletop game and anime were planned later. Thus, the tabletop game and anime wouldn't exist if the videogames were never planned in the first place.

Now this is just an assumption on my part, but based on how the bakugan characters in the anime and in the games still look like little toy balls, I believe the franchise was planned to be a toy first and the anime and video games were planned ahead of the toy release to get people interested.
I'm not upset nor ranting/complaining, but I'm sorry, Bakugan was still originally intended to debut as a videogame. The Bakugan characters were created for a videogame, and thus, Dragonoid is still a videogame character because of the intentions behind the Bakugan franchise.

What company owns the Bakugan franchise? that might give a little more insight as what they were first panned to be before anything else.
To answer your question, the now Bakugan franchise is currently co-owned by Sega and Spin Master. I think Sega owns rights to all the Bakugan characters.

To add on, Bakugan is now one of those now-obscure Pokemon clones, along with Medabots and Monster Rancher. It was once iconic during the Wii era.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
That's a great comparison! To compare, the Bakugan tabletop game and anime were released before the videogames. However, the Bakugan videogames were planned first, and then the tabletop game and anime were planned later. Thus, the tabletop game and anime wouldn't exist if the videogames were never planned in the first place.

I'm not upset nor ranting/complaining, but I'm sorry, Bakugan was still originally intended to debut as a videogame. The Bakugan characters were created for a videogame, and thus, Dragonoid is still a videogame character because of the intentions behind the Bakugan franchise.

To answer your question, the now Bakugan franchise is currently co-owned by Sega and Spin Master. I think Sega owns rights to all the Bakugan characters.

To add on, Bakugan is now one of those now-obscure Pokemon clones, along with Medabots and Monster Rancher. It was once iconic during the Wii era.
It was?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Thanks for the insight. I only ever assumed they were meant to be toys first because in lore the monsters turn into the little toy balls. I never meant want disrespect, just wanted to open an avenue for us all to track down the true origin.

I for one am actually a little interested in the new game. The game play doesn't look that great from what we've seen, but I have always been a sucker for monster collecting Gabe's and I know bakugan has a few lion based monsters so that's enough to get my interest right there.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Thanks for the insight.
You're welcome sir!

I only ever assumed they were meant to be toys first because in lore the monsters turn into the little toy balls. I never meant want disrespect, just wanted to open an avenue for us all to track down the true origin.
At this point, we've concluded that Bakugan is a videogame franchise, and that Dragonoid is still eligible for Smash.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So, the physical version of Seven Sirens from LRG finally dropped into my mailbox yesterday so I'll finally be able to experience the game (have been waiting until now)!
...suddenly so much to play as Crown Tundra also came out today.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
So, the physical version of Seven Sirens from LRG finally dropped into my mailbox yesterday so I'll finally be able to experience the game (have been waiting until now)!
...suddenly so much to play as Crown Tundra also came out today.
I'm still waiting for my copy. I haven't received an email that it has been mailed out yet.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
The official Famitsu twitter announced that they’re going to host a livestream showing off Shantae and the Seven Sirens on the 29th! To get this kind of recognition from such a major Japanese games media outlet is a big deal for a western indie game!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The official Famitsu twitter announced that they’re going to host a livestream showing off Shantae and the Seven Sirens on the 29th! To get this kind of recognition from such a major Japanese games media outlet is a big deal for a western indie game!

Whoa, that's a big deal for the series when it comes to Japan. :)

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm still waiting for my copy. I haven't received an email that it has been mailed out yet.
If you got the Collectors edition like me, there might be longer wait. they said a while ago that the big issue was getting the steelbooks from the manufacturer. So the regular editions are likely shipping now while the CE may take a while yet.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I think it's all coming together now. I realise that had Shantae been Fighter 7, it may have caused some confusion towards Japanese players due to the Shantae hype in Japan not being started yet. Well, I believe the launch of Seven Sirens in Japan will truly start the Shantae hype. That way, Japanese players will be much less confused. Also, the first game has still yet to be released for Switch and rereleased for GBC. If it is being released in December, and if The Game Awards 2020 has Smash plans, and if Fighter 8 is Shantae, then that is the perfect combination.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
By the way remember Billy's rating of Shantae isn't gospel and it's only his personal thoughts. You can clear up any mistakes he made in the comments respectfully and keep civil if you're doing it. One of the reasons he quit YouTube for a while was because some people got way too heated with him rating their favorite characters less than they wanted him to
None of this means anything anyways.
So why bother commenting on a useless video?

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I think it's all coming together now. I realise that had Shantae been Fighter 7, it may have caused some confusion towards Japanese players due to the Shantae hype in Japan not being started yet. Well, I believe the launch of Seven Sirens in Japan will truly start the Shantae hype. That way, Japanese players will be much less confused. Also, the first game has still yet to be released for Switch and rereleased for GBC. If it is being released in December, and if The Game Awards 2020 has Smash plans, and if Fighter 8 is Shantae, then that is the perfect combination.
Nice speculation but HYPE RESPONSIBLY

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
God shut up and let us have fun discussing stuff related to Shantae.
You mean commenting on a video about a dude who basically says "Shantae's not likely, because I don't like her."
Cool... <_<
I can think of far more meaningful and productive things to do.

Sheesh, why are you constantly getting so defensive about those petty things?
I think that after years of Smash doing unexpected things, people would've learned that speculation about Smash is completely meaningless.
The series does whatever it wants.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
You mean commenting on a video about a dude who basically says "Shantae's not likely, because I don't like her."
Cool... <_<
I can think of far more meaningful and productive things to do.

Sheesh, why are you constantly getting so defensive about those petty things?
I think that after years of Smash doing unexpected things, people would've learned that speculation about Smash is completely meaningless.
The series does whatever it wants.
Guys can you not fight over the speculation video? Everybody have different opinions to share. If they want to do it, they can do whatever they want.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Guys can you not fight over the speculation video? Everybody have different opinions to share. If they want to do it, they can do whatever they want.
Sorry, but if someone comes to me and replies to me with a spiteful comment, I will defend myself.
I mean come on, he straight up told me to shut up, over an opinion.
So don't blame me.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Sorry, but if someone comes to me and replies to me with a spiteful comment, I will defend myself.
So don't blame me.
You literally came in and whined about us discussing a video for entertainment purposes

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
So don't blame me.
Not saying I’m blaming you. I just think you guys shouldn’t argue over that damn speculating video.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Obviously lots of people do like Shantae, so it doesn't matter if one video is bringing it down.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't really care if Shantae does get in or not with the current direction of Smash Ultimate DLC. What we do know is that Shantae has gotten the recognition she deserved after humble beginnings 18 years ago.
237.png

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Obviously lots of people do like Shantae, so it doesn't matter if one video is bringing it down.
You're right, of course.
And again, with Smash being as unpredictable as it has proven itself to be over the years, there really is no telling what could happen.
Which also means there is no point in serious speculation, as it could all be wrong and meaningless in the end.
In fact, it has happened countless times already, when characters like Joker or Terry made it into the game.
Characters that came completely out of left field, with no hints or popular demand.
So me personally, I just don't see the point in speculating something as unpredictable as Smash, that has gone against popular expectations countless times and will keep doing so, for as long as the series and its soul is alive.

I don't really care if Shantae does get in or not with the current direction of Smash Ultimate DLC. What we do know is that Shantae has gotten the recognition she deserved after humble beginnings 18 years ago.
View attachment 290084
Of course, Shantae being in Smash as a Spirit is a victory already. And it certainly cements her long-term success, after a rough start. : 3
However, actually playing as her in Smash, would be an experience that makes the whole thing feel complete.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
However, actually playing as her in Smash, would be an experience that makes the whole thing feel complete.
2020, the year of WayForward and Shantae, is still not over yet. There is still a chance we can get one more Fighter reveal, given the fact that Japan is getting involved in this year's The Game Awards. And I bet that Fighter 8 is the hair-whipping waifu herself.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Question regarding that Matt Bozen interview. Does anyone have a source of the exact day it happened? I've been hearing things like the interview being before fight we pass 1 was announced.

Top Bottom