• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
So someone brought up why no one in the Newcomer Speculation thread brings up Shantae as much as other popular characters on this site and other people responded with stuff like "Her series isn't as popular as Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead and didn't sell as well." I responded to those people with "Well, Shantae has seniority over those characters as well as 5 games while they only have one. Plus she has amazing moveset potential. Also, sells isn't everything." And they got all over me saying "She's not going to be chosen just because of her moveset potential. Plus Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead all sold better than the entire Shantae series combined." I just stopped debating them and left the conversation. You can never win a debate in the Newcomer Speculation thread
That thread is chalk full of self entitled know-it-alls that believe they dictate who's "deserving".

Echo chambers aren't just limited to character threads, you'd do well to remember that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As someone who engages in the newcomer thread, my sympathies to all you guys in everyone on that thread shooting down your favorite half-genie girl.

While I don't think she's the most likely, I do certainly she does have a really good shot getting in and one of the more likely Indie reps alongside Reimu.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
No we don't you assumptious ninny
Oh, this bodes poorly...”
We are definitely going to be needing more cute half-genie girls on this thread. I’ll start us off.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have been noticing more female character's fan art are drawn to wear the belly dancer outfit like how shantae does.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I have been noticing more female character's fan art are drawn to wear the belly dancer outfit like how shantae does.
That means a big amount to me, since it does mean her memes are spreading throughout the interwebs. Slower than the likes of Shovel Knight, but definitely still spreading. And by "memes", I mean something like Dawkins memes, as I had mentioned many a fortnite ago.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
If Matt talked about Shantae in Smash too much he would come off as Desperate.

If hes too quiet we all assume NDA's or whatever.

He has to ride a line between maintain a good relationship with Nintendo (seeing as he's a figurehead for Wayforward) and keeping his fans from overreacting.
This is where I'm at. It's unreasonable to expect an answer to every "Shantae for Smash" question, and there's no reason to believe WayForward's silence means something.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
This is where I'm at. It's unreasonable to expect an answer to every "Shantae for Smash" question, and there's no reason to believe WayForward's silence means something.
This is a fallacy, since he never gave an answer in the first place.

Also, does anybody here remember this?

You seriously don't think WayForwards silence is in any way odd, after they did that? :/

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
This is a fallacy, since he never gave an answer in the first place.

Also, does anybody here remember this?

You seriously don't think WayForwards silence is in any way odd, after they did that? :/
Exactly! I don't understand how not answering a question can NOT mean anything. It always has some hidden meaning.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I mean, don't get me wrong.
It still isn't a certainty that Shantae will become a fighter in this game.
So it's too soon to celebrate on that end.

However, I do take issue that people are so quick to dismiss the possibility of WayForward's or Matt's silence being a hint, or at least an oddity.
Especially when you consider the image I posted.
Remember what that was all about?

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman

However, I do take issue that people are so quick to dismiss the possibility of WayForward's or Matt's silence being a hint, or at least an oddity.
Yes, I remember. Back then, WayForward and Matt Bozon were very vocal about it. But then, ever since Smash Ultimate was announced, they went silent on the matter, and with the Reddit AMA, Matt too has gone silent, unlike the interview he had back in June where he answered the question (which still isn't a deconfirmation). I completely agree with you.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Back before the full roster for ultimate was revealed, people were much more open to the possibility and we had tons of tin foil theories people entertained. Maybe her only being a spirit made them put up barriers and use more doubt from then on, dunno, just a theory :p

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Back before the full roster for ultimate was revealed, people were much more open to the possibility and we had tons of tin foil theories people entertained. Maybe her only being a spirit made them put up barriers and use more doubt from then on, dunno, just a theory :p
The point I was referring to, was that WayForward and Matt Bozon used to be very vocal about their support for Shantae in a Smash game.
Especially during the Ballot period, where they made concept art for her and potential alternate colors and even an icon.
But now there is complete radio silence.

The "They got tired of the question and don't want to talk about it anymore" doesn't explain away their actions during the Ballot.
And it's exactly because of their actions during the Ballot, that their radio silence is, at the very least, very odd.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget that Min-Min has deconfirmed the Spirits fan rule this year, and Steve has opened up the path for a true indie fighter. He proves that Indies do not deconfirm, thanks to his origins as a former indie character. It's why I am thankful Steve is in the game.

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
The point I was referring to, was that WayForward and Matt Bozon used to be very vocal about their support for Shantae in a Smash game.
Especially during the Ballot period, where they made concept art for her and potential alternate colors and even an icon.
But now there is complete radio silence.

The "They got tired of the question and don't want to talk about it anymore" doesn't explain away their actions during the Ballot.
And it's exactly because of their actions during the Ballot, that their radio silence is, at the very least, very odd.
You know the phrase "there's a time and a place for everything"?

In the ballot days it made sense for way forward to go all out and support Shantae very vocally. It was a ballot, votes mattered. So being vocal and putting out concept art made sense for the time. That was, for lack of a better word, the "Culture" around the smash ballot.

We are now several years later and at a point where as far as we know the character roster is finalized. Anything more than just casually reaffirming that he would like to see Shantae and smash every once in a while would just be beating a dead horse at this point.

At this point in smash ultimate's life what is probably the best thing for way forward to do is passively support the idea and occasionally reaffirming their support. And by occasionally I mean like once a year.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nah it just doesn't explain why they ignore fans about the smash points now. They reply to a lot of things, but don't at all when it comes to smash now. I don't consider them to 'occasionally' reaffirm it. And if it takes an interview for them to talk about it, it's still fishy. They probably don't want to say 'no comment' or 'skip', so of course they'll say typically they're for shantae in smash.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Some assume that WF and Matt's support stopped after Shantae was revealed as a spirit during the World of Light trailer. Which of course Min Min contradict the statement of Spirits Deconfirming characters.

Still, the current topic people are focusing right now could be on the Marsupial Crash Bandicoot thanks to one of Sakurai's pic of the day.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Some assume that WF and Matt's support stopped after Shantae was revealed as a spirit during the World of Light trailer. Which of course Min Min contradict the statement of Spirits Deconfirming characters.

Still, the current topic people are focusing right now could be on the Marsupial Crash Bandicoot thanks to one of Sakurai's pic of the day.
I dont' care for crash, and this is the shantae thread :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just wanting to point out where the speculation is currently trending on.
I didn't see anything about that in the newcomer speculation. Saw some SE talk. SE is still my favorite game company, so wouldnt' mind if there was another one this pass. Wouldn't mind an indie character too XD

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Someone with as much historical significance as Shantae can’t really just be waved off. Especially one who has been Indie since before indie has been a term and one who’s regained and maintained quite a notable popularity since.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Someone with as much historical significance as Shantae can’t really just be waved off. Especially one who has been Indie since before indie has been a term and one who’s regained and maintained quite a notable popularity since.
I agree. Shantae is the only Western indie with a long history too. Now, Reimu beats her by a couple of years, but she's Japanese. Plus we already have Steve as our PC gaming rep, and Touhou Project didn't start getting close in relations with Nintendo until 2017. I don't know about you guys, but something tells me that Touhoy characters aren't very likely.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I have returned! And I bare a gift!

Been getting through Seven Sirens recently. I’ll give some more thoughts later. All I have to say atm is WHY THE HELL COULDNT THE MONKEY BULLET BE AS USEFUL AS THE NEWT DASH?!

Anyway...how have things been around here?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have returned! And I bare a gift!

Been getting through Seven Sirens recently. I’ll give some more thoughts later. All I have to say atm is WHY THE HELL COULDNT THE MONKEY BULLET BE AS USEFUL AS THE NEWT DASH?!

Anyway...how have things been around here?
Going somewhat slow after Steve/Alex's reveal as Challenger 7. Also, have been starting my adventure again on Risky's Revenge (with the Warp Squids warping to any you have awaken.)

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Shantae's being turned down faster than usual because of that interview with Matt Bozon. People who don't like the idea of Shantae joining are using that as a reason why she is not getting in. That interview blew up on twitter, and is now being passed around as a weapon. It's infuriating.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Shantae's being turned down faster than usual because of that interview with Matt Bozon. People who don't like the idea of Shantae joining are using that as a reason why she is not getting in. That interview blew up on twitter, and is now being passed around as a weapon. It's infuriating.
People will uses whatever evidence they want to support what they want to believe. The creator of Devil May Cry flat out stated that Dante wasn't in the game, but anyone who hopes he will make it in use that as evidence of "He's under and NDA he has to say that"

In the end, none of us can hold to tightly to anything developers do or do not say. There are always reasons for a developer to be tight lipped regardless of if their character is in or not.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
People will uses whatever evidence they want to support what they want to believe. The creator of Devil May Cry flat out stated that Dante wasn't in the game, but anyone who hopes he will make it in use that as evidence of "He's under and NDA he has to say that"

In the end, none of us can hold to tightly to anything developers do or do not say. There are always reasons for a developer to be tight lipped regardless of if their character is in or not.
When did he say that? Do you have the source?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hey guys I wanna do something fun, I've posted occasionally, a collage of all the possible characters I could think of to be DLC for Smash, being super generous as ****. I want everyone/anyone here to tell me who to cross out and we can play a game of "Who's still likely in the Smash Collage".

Collage for reference.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
And then watch Smash Bros revealing characters that we crossed out from the list or those that might not even be on the list in the first place.
Smash Bros is often like that.

Remember characters that nobody thought were coming like Joker or Terry?
Yeah, don't repeat the same mistake over and over again.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey guys I wanna do something fun, I've posted occasionally, a collage of all the possible characters I could think of to be DLC for Smash, being super generous as ****. I want everyone/anyone here to tell me who to cross out and we can play a game of "Who's still likely in the Smash Collage".

Collage for reference.

Oof, nice pic :p I see some interesting ones in there.

Cross out? I see Steve and Byleth in there so I guess they're not part of it.
Is that the megaman boss guy on top? Pretty sure he has no chance. So does the bear from that jump scare game. And fawful too

Top Bottom