• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Anyone remember the Twitter Etika drama back in July? Yeah, that was Apocalypso's fault. He said if you hate on Shantae and don't support her for Smash, you are spitting on Etika's grave, which drew backlash. His now deleted Tweet got screencapped and was brought up in multiple conversations Apocalypso was involved in. He didn't apologise for it until August, just when he was about to do a collab with PapaGenos. The collab was cancelled as a result of PG learning of the drama. Both he and Terry Syvertson are terrible Shantae fans, and it's good that Apocalypso left the series all together (even though his reason for leaving ( which I explained above) is laughably pathetic), because he is bigoted and always got into fights.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
As for fans... well, of course fans will always want more. Yes they got Banjo and Steve, but are they all the exact same people asking for Crash? And even if they are, why shouldn’t they be? If Shantae got in, you can still want other characters too.
The only way for these kind of conflicts to stop, is for every single video game character ever to be playable in Smash.
But that is a pipe dream, so...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
That's another part to why I am not really doing speculation outside of sporadic episodes. I can be quite a prick when it comes to opinions, but an even bigger one when people are just being jackasses over something that wouldn't impact the day-to-day lives of people. Sure, the inclusions of characters like Banjo is friggin' large to people like us, but when it comes to normal people or fans who live a relatively normal life, it'd be like a baseball game where your home team wins. It's pretty damn cool, but it's one of those moments that's fleeting, like with Ridley's inclusion.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's another part to why I am not really doing speculation outside of sporadic episodes. I can be quite a prick when it comes to opinions, but an even bigger one when people are just being jackasses over something that wouldn't impact the day-to-day lives of people. Sure, the inclusions of characters like Banjo is friggin' large to people like us, but when it comes to normal people or fans who live a relatively normal life, it'd be like a baseball game where your home team wins. It's pretty damn cool, but it's one of those moments that's fleeting, like with Ridley's inclusion.
I loved Banjo Kazooie as a kid, but I didn't want them in smash. I literally only played with the character one night, and because I had the fighter's pass.
Everyone's gonna have their preferences. I'm sure some arent even into smash but were stoked about it. It was a pretty great game in the ol' days.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I loved Banjo Kazooie as a kid, but I didn't want them in smash. I literally only played with the character one night, and because I had the fighter's pass.
Everyone's gonna have their preferences. I'm sure some arent even into smash but were stoked about it. It was a pretty great game in the ol' days.
Funny enough I actually had the opposite reaction almost entirely. Never played Banjo as a kid, didn’t particularly want him as DLC but not like I’d object to him, and then he went on to be my second favorite character in the pass. Just goes to show how different people’s preferences and opinions go!

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Funny enough I actually had the opposite reaction almost entirely. Never played Banjo as a kid, didn’t particularly want him as DLC but not like I’d object to him, and then he went on to be my second favorite character in the pass. Just goes to show how different people’s preferences and opinions go!
I loved Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie when I was a kid. Then I got the chance to play them on the Xbox 360 about 10 years later and felt like I had gone back to my childhood when I did. But it wasn't until about 2 years ago when Nintendo and Microsoft started becoming buddy-buddy that I started wanting Banjo and Kazooie for Smash. Because they were owned by Microsoft, I didn't think it would be possible despite them being former Nintendo property. Low and behold E3 2019 happens and I marked out hard! And now Banjo & Kazooie are one of my most played characters! I only hope that Shantae will be another fighter I'll enjoy playing as too 😄

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so... Donald Mustard was asked about Fortnite in Smash and he said he cannot comment on it. Shall we go into panic mode?

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so... Donald Mustard was asked about Fortnite in Smash and he said he cannot comment on it. Shall we go into panic mode?
Another best-selling game in the world once again. Seriously this is starting to lose my hopes on Shantae. I’m sorry but I start to feel bit down and think this is slowly crushing hopes and dreams for Shantae. I can’t take this anymore unless it meant a Mii costume idk but this is losing my hopes. Watch it drops to TGA 2020.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
No chance. Fortnite wasn't anywhere near it's peak when the DLC was being decided (The interview about Steve suggests that most if not all of fighter pack 2 are left overs from the suggestions Nintendo gave Sakurai for fighter pass 1) And fortnite is passed it's peak now. Popular, sure, but not setting the world on fire like it had. With all the characters on the table, Nintendo wouldn't suggest a character from a flash in the pan game, that doesn't have a definitive main character and only got popular because of one of it's side games that overshadowed the actual game.

Like with all things said from developers, you can't take it to mean much one way or the other. Yes, if they do have a character in, they can't reveal it so a "no comment" could be appropriate, but look at how suspicious that looks? The better thing would be to deflect like Grant Kirkhope. He didn't lie and say B&K weren't in, nor did he break NDA and say they were. He simply said something vague "I wouldn't hold my breath" Now that might sound like a lie, but it really isn't since there would be no reason for him to hold his breath over it.

Look at it from the standpoint of a developer who doesn't have a character in the game. You are asked, now you could tell the truth, but what would that get you? Maybe a few points with the fans. But why not be a little dodgey and through them for a loop. "No comment" is not a lie, but it does make it sound like you are holding back. This creates buzz, excitement, gets people talking about your game again. Then when it doesn't actually happen, you aren't to blame because it was just the fans getting excited over nothing.

Right now there is nothing a developer can say to fans when asked about Smash (regardless of if their character is in or not) because if they tell the truth that their character isn't in, fans will still argue it is a lie for "NDA reasons" Likewise if they stay vague then they are "clearly unable to say anything because of their NDA"

I think Epic Games is just doing what they can to keep people talking about them, since simply saying "No" wouldn't do them any favors and still wouldn't make their hopeful fans from believing them. Their recent business practices suggest that they are not beyond a little verbal gymnastics if it gets them attention, which to them equals money.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
No chance. Fortnite wasn't anywhere near it's peak when the DLC was being decided (The interview about Steve suggests that most if not all of fighter pack 2 are left overs from the suggestions Nintendo gave Sakurai for fighter pass 1) And fortnite is passed it's peak now. Popular, sure, but not setting the world on fire like it had. With all the characters on the table, Nintendo wouldn't suggest a character from a flash in the pan game, that doesn't have a definitive main character and only got popular because of one of it's side games that overshadowed the actual game.

Like with all things said from developers, you can't take it to mean much one way or the other. Yes, if they do have a character in, they can't reveal it so a "no comment" could be appropriate, but look at how suspicious that looks? The better thing would be to deflect like Grant Kirkhope. He didn't lie and say B&K weren't in, nor did he break NDA and say they were. He simply said something vague "I wouldn't hold my breath" Now that might sound like a lie, but it really isn't since there would be no reason for him to hold his breath over it.

Look at it from the standpoint of a developer who doesn't have a character in the game. You are asked, now you could tell the truth, but what would that get you? Maybe a few points with the fans. But why not be a little dodgey and through them for a loop. "No comment" is not a lie, but it does make it sound like you are holding back. This creates buzz, excitement, gets people talking about your game again. Then when it doesn't actually happen, you aren't to blame because it was just the fans getting excited over nothing.

Right now there is nothing a developer can say to fans when asked about Smash (regardless of if their character is in or not) because if they tell the truth that their character isn't in, fans will still argue it is a lie for "NDA reasons" Likewise if they stay vague then they are "clearly unable to say anything because of their NDA"

I think Epic Games is just doing what they can to keep people talking about them, since simply saying "No" wouldn't do them any favors and still wouldn't make their hopeful fans from believing them. Their recent business practices suggest that they are not beyond a little verbal gymnastics if it gets them attention, which to them equals money.
Not to mention that a Fortnite character would just end up being a copypaste of Steve except with the ability to use guns. Fortnite characters are better off as Mii Gunners or Spirits.

Staarih

Smash Master
Much like we saw with Suda51 "not commenting" on Travis in Smash, and him then getting a Mii costume, this could be just something similar.

Or nothing at all.

No panic mode necessary.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Much like we saw with Suda51 "not commenting" on Travis in Smash, and him then getting a Mii costume, this could be just something similar.

Or nothing at all.

No panic mode necessary.
Most likely nothing at all. Travis had a lot more going for him than fortnite did and he only got a costume. Tho anything is possible, I will be very surprised if fortnite gets anything in smash.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
No worries. Fortnite getting Fighter reps in Smash is unlikely. Steve already has the ability to build things. Why would we need a character which is essentially just a carbon copy of Steve?
I mean Nintendo just represent an adventure survival game with creativities and Nintendo would represents battle Royale

Staarih

Smash Master
The Japanese livestream for Shantae and the Seven Sirens is happening today. Just don't know when it will air.
Happened already:

Oizumi Amuzio (the company which brings the Shantae games to Japan) also had some sort of stream a week ago:

But yeah, Seven Sirens has been out for a day in Japan. It hasn't really popped up much in the likes of Amazon etc, but hopefully it'll sell okay-ish (in, like, Shantae standards haha). It has some competition from SMT III Nocturne (release in Japan also today) and Pikmin 3 tomorrow.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it's incredibly unlikely that they'd do fortnite as a fighter. I just don't see it happening after Steve. It wouldn't be original enough, and guns plus blocks could lead to too much camping.

Dukefire

Smash Master
And the amount of time to program the resources the Fortnite character will get from the stage with the limits of how much material can be stored and how far can the platforms build before reaching a limit.

Really, just another saying that is stirring up the Community that is potentially not happening. Travis Touchdown as a good example.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
A big thing to keep in mind guys is that sometimes, no comment literally means... no comment.

Its not a guarantee “this person is under NDA” phrase. It just means the company has nothing to say about it, whether legally or literally because there’s nothing to say.

Cool ya jets and take a deep breath. Also isn’t this news a ‘report’ from a zoom meeting that isn’t even publicly available, so it could just be another person stirring up news on a slow day or misinterpreting a different point entirely.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I can't say this enough, the community's hunger and spculation with the smallest crumb for the next challenger is what will always bring them back until DLC ends.
That won't stop some of them from ********, moaning and playing the victim when they're most wanted character doesn't make it. Hell, a lot of them do that right after a character reveal while the DLC season is still going on.

Dukefire

Smash Master
That won't stop some of them from ********, moaning and playing the victim when they're most wanted character doesn't make it. Hell, a lot of them do that right after a character reveal while the DLC season is still going on.
That's the Internet for you, the salt and toxic atmosphere can't be cleared. All we can do is wait and spectate quietly while making a safe spot to guess and celebrate should it come true.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Anyone familiar with the new ToS instated by Twitter? Well, after such a thing happened, most of the Shantae hatedom has gone silent. Twitter was their biggest stronghold, and now the site has turned against them. They've ****ed them. They've ****ed all of them. Glad Twitter has finally decided to take out the trash. They did the right thing.

Top Bottom