• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What I've been doing is thinking up themed team matches I'd want to do, sort of like when I did Century Smash to commemorate Min-Min and ARMS's 1-v-100 mode.

Shantae, :ultrichter: & :ultsheik: vs. :ultsamus:, :ultzss: & :ultridley: on stage morph between Shantae's stage and Norfair: Metroidvania Melee

The same team vs. :ultyounglink:, :ultzelda: & :ultganondorf: on Temple: Dungeon Derby

Shantae, :ultpichu: & :ultpokemontrainerf: vs. :ultmewtwo: or :ultjigglypuff:, :ultpikachu: & :ultpokemontrainer: on Pokemon Stadium: Two Generations of Pocket Monsters

Shantae, :ultdaisy: & :ultwario: vs. :ultmario:, :ultpeach: & :ultluigi: on Delfino Plaza: Game Boy & Console Originals.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well it's september, there should be a little bit of interesting stuff here and there :)

Is that really the ost for paper mario? Interesting inspiration :p
Wouldn't you know it, the brothers happen to run into a malicious lamp-wielder here too.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I've checked on SSBU today and no weeky spirit/tourney event has been announced. By Late Tuesday/Wednesday, they should always be revealed before premiering on Late Thursday/Friday. This may be a sign that we may have a fighter reveal soon. Either that or they're taking a break from doing an event every week.

Staarih

Smash Master
So, suddenly Limited Run Games gave us lots more information about the Shantae re-releases:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, suddenly Limited Run Games gave us lots more information about the Shantae re-releases:

Hey there's acrylic stands of shantae and rotty with the gbc pack :O cool :)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I LOVE that they are OPEN preorders!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ugh, I hate the the LE for the repo cart is so much better than the Switch version. I have no real purpose to buy the reproduction and I really want the physical Switch version. Bit of a bummer really.
Same, I would've bought the switch version if it had as much stuff.
Right now thinking I won't get anything :/ But it's still nice to see.

(if I wouldnt be trying to save money, i'd get some of them tho ;p)

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930

That's great news! But holy cow, $64.99-$74.99 is a lot!

On the other hand, I can't imagine how much scalpers will price their copies on ebay. Best get them while the price is right.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

RIP my wallet.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The $45 price tag, while to some extent makes sense with antiquated technologies like GBC-Repo carts, is a bit steep for my liking unfortunately. If I had more money, I would absolutely do that, though for now, I am satisfied enough with my N3DS copy.
At least it's better than paying hundreds of bucks for a original copy.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

I was more interested in just picking up the physical copies for Switch but that special edition for the reproduction cart is hella tempting...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean, things are moving along, some of the news we were expecting is showing up. Now what about news we don't know about next :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, things are moving along, some of the news we were expecting is showing up. Now what about news we don't know about next :)
Smash stuff is sure to happen sometime this month. When, we don't know, but apart from the mention in the Mario Direct, we strangely didn't get any sort of Smash events this week, spirit boards, tournaments or otherwise.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Smash stuff is sure to happen sometime this month. When, we don't know, but apart from the mention in the Mario Direct, we strangely didn't get any sort of Smash events this week, spirit boards, tournaments or otherwise.
The announced a Mario themed tournament during the Direct for Smash Bros, so they were just holding off on the announcement for the Direct.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Apparently there is a glitch with K.Rool's cannon ball with the Franklin badge currently and ONLY the Blunderbluss in the current patch.
That is strange that one of my mains is getting a glitch with his Neutral B against the Franklin badge.

Still, would Shantae have a mixture of her genie powers and Pirate Gear from Risky? Or just her entire moveset based on equipment, magic and transformations throughout her 5 adventures so far?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The announced a Mario themed tournament during the Direct for Smash Bros, so they were just holding off on the announcement for the Direct.
Yes, but the thing is that it was stated to be for "later this year", ergo nothing for this specific week.

Edit: According to Smash's JP account, the tournament is set sometime between November and December.

Apparently there is a glitch with K.Rool's cannon ball with the Franklin badge currently and ONLY the Blunderbluss in the current patch.

And we still don't know whether the :ultness: eyes one meant anything...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Lol it's a bit of a stretch. I guess he thinks well if the badge needs to reflect the canon from another direction (like the up b he mentioned), it could happen if shantae was in and it's a bug from working with those things. It's a nice tin foil moment, we haven't had a lot at all in quite a while. So it's not bad to see I guess XD

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My two cents on the Limited Edition of Shantae GBC are the following.

One, I still don't own a physical version of the game.

Two:
I'm so torn.

On a different note, I guess this will pop up on the milestones...?

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Lol it's a bit of a stretch. I guess he thinks well if the badge needs to reflect the canon from another direction (like the up b he mentioned), it could happen if shantae was in and it's a bug from working with those things. It's a nice tin foil moment, we haven't had a lot at all in quite a while. So it's not bad to see I guess XD
I don't know what to think if they base Shantae of her Pirate's Curse moveset only.
I mean, it'll still be Shantae. So I'm taking it.

But if that's the moveset we're getting, something is gonna feel off about her...
Not really a bad thing, but just... odd.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know what to think if they base Shantae of her Pirate's Curse moveset only.

But if that's the moveset we're getting, something is gonna feel off about her...
I can trust in Sakurai to give her a mix of genie and pirate stuff. Given what's been done with other characters, it's not impossible. Plus it's unlikely for us to get Risky this time anyway...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I think she wouldn't only have that. Most likely a mix. There's plenty of moves to work with anyway.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
So just to be sure...
What is the entire history of Smash Bugs in new updates and the characters they "hinted" towards?
And what else could this new bug be hinting at, other than Shantae?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So just to be sure...
What is the entire history of Smash Bugs in new updates and the characters they "hinted" towards?
And what else could this new bug be hinting at, other than Shantae?
Honestly, it could be cuz of many things. The question is why did they tweak around the canon's properties for that to happen.

I'm curious too which bugs the guy in the video is talking about. I don't know any specific ones, but from what he said it should be that a bug happened with the base character they used for a new character, before the new character's release.

If I find what any were I'll share :p And maybe someone else knows.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The only pirate item Shantae is likely to use at this point is a scimitar. Most anything else can be replicated with magic and transformations, especially post Seven Sirens.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What would be a good up-b for shantae besides the canon shot?

Harpy flight I guess would be one, but what else?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok Paragon-Yoshi Paragon-Yoshi . I have a little bit of info about the bugs.

Apparently, before Banjo's release, there were some bugs with duckhunt dog. People thought he was the base but actually ridley is, so it wouldn't be about a base character, but rather borrowed animations. (which would make more sense anyway since k rool wouldnt be a base character for shantae XD)

Bayonetta's dress or something had visual bugs before minmin's release. At the time they thought maybe that meant twintell because she's closer to bayo than min min. I dont know if or what they borrowed from bayo for min min, but it's possible they did.

Now there are 2 other visual bugs, one with ness (his eyes i think), and one with daisy (her dress becoming short). Nobody really knows what that could mean.
But anyway those and the k rool's canon would be the ones that are going on right now.

Top Bottom