• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Okay...Then how would you expand their gameplay moveset, because I'm not sure myself.
Well, one thing is very clear: Dance Transformations are unique to Shantae.
So they would have their own unique magic ability, in place for transformations.
Seer Magic for Plink, Life Magic for Vera, Electro Magic for Zapple and Earth Magic for Harmony.

The first problem is trying to figure out their basic attacks.
They can't all have Hair Whips, considering some of them have hair that... Well, can't really whip well.
Plus, in Pirate's Curse, Shantae could still use her Hair Whip, even without her Genie Powers.
So the Hair Whip doesn't seem to be a Genie Power thing. And it might be unique to Shantae as well.
In that case, how would they attack?
For Vera, I can imagine using special Leaves to attack (you know the ones Shantae has in the Dance Parlor?).
But for the others... Seven Siren's gave us nothing really.
So one might need to get creative here.

Another problem is: Item Attacks
Do they all use the same items to attack as Shantae does?
(Fireballs, Pike Balls, etc.)
Or do they all use their own unique item attacks as well?
Or something different entirely?
Truth be told, I am most unsure about this one.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
As far as I see, Harmony is looking to be yet another one-shot character among many, so expecting her as an Echo at some point is extremely generous and I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.

Nobody calls her that anymore.
Thankfully.

Too bad they never fixed that in later versions of SMRPG.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well I guess nobody cares...

However, are you guys sure that Harmony and the others will never return in later games? o_O

Destinylegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destinylegend
3DS FC
2122-6400-3417
Well I guess nobody cares...

However, are you guys sure that Harmony and the others will never return in later games? o_O
Honestly not sure on that, would love them to, love their design, so hope they do come back. That being said I liked Holly's design in 1/2 Genie Hero, but doubt she'll return, so hoping the other genies aren't 1 off characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly not sure on that, would love them to, love their design, so hope they do come back. That being said I liked Holly's design in 1/2 Genie Hero, but doubt she'll return, so hoping the other genies aren't 1 off characters.
It's rather concerning that even if it's simply getting in on the joking on their part, she will be forgotten if this keeps up.

Thankfully.

Too bad they never fixed that in later versions of SMRPG.
Square would have needed to be involved with translation updates, and as we know, getting them to collaborate on Mario anything is like waiting for a blue moon to happen.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well considering that she was a fake (not to mention freaking DEAD), it makes sense for her to be a one-off character.
But the Half-Genie's in Seven Sirens are genuine.
So it would be kind of a waste, if they would be one-off as well. X_X

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Plink and Vera just don't seem trained in combat at all, on top of largely non offensive powers. Refresh has Revive-kill-Zombie properties but it's unlikely Vera is aware of this, living most of her life in a remote village. They are better off lending support to a team.

Zapple lives in Armor Town, whose denizens favor a sword and shield setup, so it's probable she knows it too, on top of being named after a Dragon Quest spell. Expect a mastery of the Storm Puff line too.

If Quake fusion is any indication, Harmony probably fights with a big hammer. Boulders and spires if you wanna spice things up beyond shaking the ground, you know, Venus Adept stuff. Though being the oldest, she's probably adept at other spells too. At least one firework spell was seen from her.

zferolie

Smash Hero
so haven't been around for a week or so. Are we all just waiting for this possible direct friday? Has there been anything hinting or leaning towards shantae or anyone next?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I've been a bit more laser focused on Henry Stickmin tbt lol
I don't really have much to add onto the Shantae stuffs.

That being said, I could see Zapple using her sword and shield in conjunction with her electric magic. Maybe she has some magnetism power that is exclusive to her if she uses electricity in a similar fashion to a coil. Actually, I could see her doing Risky's charge, powered by her electric power, just without the immunity to insta-kill hazards like spikes and lava.
As for Harmony? I could see her being able to use fire magic in conjunction with her quake power. Perhaps through her hammer, she could also use boulders to attack her enemies or to slam them on their heads.

Plink and Vera would be more like Supports. Plink using her seer magic to help either of the two get over seemingly inaccessible areas and being able to focus it more intensely than Shantae ever could, while Vera is more the Medic, healing her allies or possibly using a variation of Revive magic if they die, though said power needing some kinda thing like a blue power stone before she can do it.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
That being said, I could see Zapple using her sword and shield in conjunction with her electric magic. Maybe she has some magnetism power that is exclusive to her if she uses electricity in a similar fashion to a coil. Actually, I could see her doing Risky's charge, powered by her electric power, just without the immunity to insta-kill hazards like spikes and lava.
As for Harmony? I could see her being able to use fire magic in conjunction with her quake power. Perhaps through her hammer, she could also use boulders to attack her enemies or to slam them on their heads.

Plink and Vera would be more like Supports. Plink using her seer magic to help either of the two get over seemingly inaccessible areas and being able to focus it more intensely than Shantae ever could, while Vera is more the Medic, healing her allies or possibly using a variation of Revive magic if they die, though said power needing some kinda thing like a blue power stone before she can do it.
Hold on, Zapple has a sword and shield? o_O

The rest sounds solid.
Still, it was said that each Half-Genie has their own town to guard.
So Plink and Vera must have some form of attack, right?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmmmmm Have you guys heard of the Lab Zero Melt down? seems like a lot of people are quiting the company due to Mike, and things are bad. Skullgirls seems to have a life still because its owned by Autumn games not lab zero, but I wonder the future of Indivisible, and shantae's guest appearance.

https://kotaku.com/workers-leave-skullgirls-developer-over-studio-head-s-b-1844830307

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hold on, Zapple has a sword and shield? o_O

The rest sounds solid.
Still, it was said that each Half-Genie has their own town to guard.
So Plink and Vera must have some form of attack, right?
Where exactly is it said every single half-genie is a guardian, let alone in a combat compacity? If it comes from the first game that info is probably outdated. And if Vera is supposed to be a guardian in that way, then she isn't doing a very good job stopping sirens from raiding her village at night. But seeing as how no one holds it against her, she's probably not expected to do that in the first place.

Zapple isn't officially depicted with a sword and shield, but she lives in Armor Town and many people there do use that. Thing is, neither she nor Vera have someone like Bolo to train with.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We wait.. and then bam. New character. D
Hmmmmm Have you guys heard of the Lab Zero Melt down? seems like a lot of people are quiting the company due to Mike, and things are bad. Skullgirls seems to have a life still because its owned by Autumn games not lab zero, but I wonder the future of Indivisible, and shantae's guest appearance.

https://kotaku.com/workers-leave-skullgirls-developer-over-studio-head-s-b-1844830307
That's not good, I really want to see her in Indivisible. I was wondering why she isn't there yet :O

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

The indivisible IP isn't owned by Lab Zero either, but it could put a halt to work on this individual game unless a deal can be worked out to give the rights to the assets and engine and such to a new development team.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The indivisible IP isn't owned by Lab Zero either, but it could put a halt to work on this individual game unless a deal can be worked out to give the rights to the assets and engine and such to a new development team.
It's too big of a waste to not keep things up, I'm guessing or hoping it'll be ok. And if shantae was a contract, that it'll be put in place at some point still.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It's too big of a waste to not keep things up, I'm guessing or hoping it'll be ok. And if shantae was a contract, that it'll be put in place at some point still.
Well, contracts can still fall through when circumstance can't allow them. In this case it would be easier to drop since they weren't paid by Wayforward to include her, rather they paid (or otherwise compensated) WF for the right to include her. In that regard they would be breaking the deal to their detriment not WF's. Also with the issue of workplace abuse, I doubt WF would ask them to continue working under those conditions just to fulfill a guest appearance for which they have already received whatever compensation they asked for.

No, our best bet is the IP Owner working a deal to break ties with Lab Zero, legally acquire that assets, engine and code and then contract completion of the game to another developer. Similar to how the Walking dead games were finished even after Tell Tale fell apart.

On that note, it's possible that perhaps even WF could be asked to put the final pieces together if acquisition of ll the game elements can be secured by the IP owners.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean those are good points. I had a small thought that maybe it's not a contractual obligation to put her in, so it's too bad. Honestly I don't know what happened in their workplace, I guess it's worse than I thought if the employees are quitting because of him.

Let's hope it does happen like you're saying, or just the company getting back it's mojo without that guy. We'll see I guess.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I mean those are good points. I had a small thought that maybe it's not a contractual obligation to put her in, so it's too bad. Honestly I don't know what happened in their workplace, I guess it's worse than I thought if the employees are quitting because of him.

Let's hope it does happen like you're saying, or just the company getting back it's mojo without that guy. We'll see I guess.
Yeah, right now all we can do is hope for the best and support these developers who are putting their livelihoods at stake to remove themselves from a toxic situation.

It would be sad if the game doesn't get everything they planned for it, but with so many people leaving and some much publicity to it it better stacks the hand of the IP holder to do whatever legal maneuver they have to to get the game out of that Devs hands and into someone else who can complete everything. With less people to work the project, the game will become more of a burden than it is worth for Lab Zero to care that much to hold onto it when offered something to give it up. Like the only thing I could see production completely stopping is if this Mike fellow has a contract that let's him hold onto the assets as long as he wants them and he decides to refuse to let anyone else use them out of pure spite. And the odds of him both being that spiteful to his own detriment and there being no legal recourse the IP holder can take aren't that likely.

Of course anything could happen, but I'm sure the owners of the property will do everything they can to do all they wanted to with the game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
so haven't been around for a week or so. Are we all just waiting for this possible direct friday? Has there been anything hinting or leaning towards shantae or anyone next?
Nah, still no hints. So far, still waiting for whatever the Friday presentation is going to be, we just know it's not a Partners Showcase.

Yes, we've reached the point of playing "Guess Who?" for the type of presentation.

In the end, remember to not get mad if the rumors turns out to be wrong.
As far as I know we still didn't reach Mario's birthday yet. If nothing big happens for him, then there's reason to panic.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, right now all we can do is hope for the best and support these developers who are putting their livelihoods at stake to remove themselves from a toxic situation.

It would be sad if the game doesn't get everything they planned for it, but with so many people leaving and some much publicity to it it better stacks the hand of the IP holder to do whatever legal maneuver they have to to get the game out of that Devs hands and into someone else who can complete everything. With less people to work the project, the game will become more of a burden than it is worth for Lab Zero to care that much to hold onto it when offered something to give it up. Like the only thing I could see production completely stopping is if this Mike fellow has a contract that let's him hold onto the assets as long as he wants them and he decides to refuse to let anyone else use them out of pure spite. And the odds of him both being that spiteful to his own detriment and there being no legal recourse the IP holder can take aren't that likely.

Of course anything could happen, but I'm sure the owners of the property will do everything they can to do all they wanted to with the game.
I saw a comment about indivisible not just being lab zero's, I don't know if that's true, but I can only hope that something does happen that it gets continued to be worked on once the dust settles from whatever happens.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I saw a comment about indivisible not just being lab zero's, I don't know if that's true, but I can only hope that something does happen that it gets continued to be worked on once the dust settles from whatever happens.
One of the people who tweeted about leaving wanted to make explicitly sure that people understood that Lab Zero didn;t own Skullgirls or Indivisible. They knew people were going to be worried about those franchises so they addressed it right away. I don't remember who made the tweet but if you dig through you will find it yourself. Rest assured I don't think we have to worry about Indivisible ending even if Lab Zero does.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
One of the people who tweeted about leaving wanted to make explicitly sure that people understood that Lab Zero didn;t own Skullgirls or Indivisible. They knew people were going to be worried about those franchises so they addressed it right away. I don't remember who made the tweet but if you dig through you will find it yourself. Rest assured I don't think we have to worry about Indivisible ending even if Lab Zero does.
That's good to know. I saw it about skull girls, but really I dont know who all works on each game, so I just want indivisble to succeed :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It was a rhetorical question. :facepalm: Don't think much of it.
Welp my bad for stating what 'should' be obvious but maybe isn't XD

I guess the guy didn't design the art for indivisible, so I don't really know what type of person he is. Not saying I can tell how someone is from their art, but Id' be somehow more disappointed if it was the artist. (cuz i like the art)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
After what felt like an eternity, we finally have a new spirit event.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

Unfortunately we get no music or a return of the 3DS Paper Mario stage to go with it.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

thank god this mans no crappy Paper Mario based on the Nu version of the series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Top Bottom