• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In terms of WF marketing decisions that don't make any sense, I think their New Game+ Expo presence is probably up there as one of the least sensical ones.

Seriously, guys?
What happened to "her chances are greater than ever!"?

That is what you guys said with the reveal of Min Min.
Which is the thing that shattered the "Spirits can't become characters" rule.
Our spirits were high then.

Ever since then, no new characters were announced.
And nothing happened that could affect her chances one bit.
5 characters are still remaining.

Yet suddenly you say "Her chances are slim..."?
What on Earth happened!?
I think this thread has caught the :ultbanjokazooie: fanbase.

Apparently, no news happening = it's all over. I miss it when people actually had patience to wait for things. At some point, I just stop trying to convince people something good will happen for their character until causality itself does the job anyway. It's tiresome.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/495/123/dce.jpg

Linked reaction image, because of a dirty word.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think this thread has caught the :ultbanjokazooie: fanbase.

Apparently, no news happening = it's all over.
What even is that logic? o_O
No news happening means that nothing has changed.

I miss it when people actually had patience to wait for things.
No disagreement here.
It is true when they said that we're living "in an age of permanent impatience".

At some point, I just stop trying to convince people something good will happen for their character until causality itself does the job anyway. It's tiresome.
I can see why...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Seriously, guys?

What on Earth happened!?
I'm with ya ;p I think her chances aren't that bad right now. No need to shut down possibility :)

MattX20

Smash Hero
Seriously, guys?

What on Earth happened!?
Speculation is a roller coaster full of ups and downs

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Speculation is a roller coaster full of ups and downs
That's true too. You can see it in certain fanbases. one week they're all up and at'ems being optimistic, the next they're bummed and don't have as much hope.
That's being human I guess XD

I think she has some chance. I just dont know how much.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't get it...

As long as nothing happens, nothing has changed about her chances either.
Chances aren't really a thing, just personal opinion. Some people gauge the same points in different ways, so what someone sees as a death sentence could be taken as a spark of hope by another. Personally, I've been trying to dial back on some of my chances after RTC gave me a bit of a reality check and reminded me that darkhorses are supposed to have lower ratings.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Chances aren't really a thing, just personal opinion. Some people gauge the same points in different ways, so what someone sees as a death sentence could be taken as a spark of hope by another. Personally, I've been trying to dial back on some of my chances after RTC gave me a bit of a reality check and reminded me that darkhorses are supposed to have lower ratings.
That's true to some degree, but sometimes things really do affect chances. If Nintendo would right out say 'so and so' will not be in smash ultimate, that would put the chances right near zero. That's just an extreme case, but there's always different degrees of things that affect how likely a character is. And some leakers have more credibility than others, etc. Heh, saying that makes me also remember the bad part about speculation, when some people take some things very seriously. I like speculation when it's funner :p

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
That's stupid.
RTC is full of toxic and biased people. Why would you let those people get to you?
As if their words are gospel...

The reality is simple: We have 5 unknown characters still and Shantae could be one of them.
Anything RTC people spout to say she has no chance, is the age-old, pointless war on the internet, for "internet points" and "ego flexing".
If people actually think their speculation affects reality in any way, they are straight up insane.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I like going to it like going up against a superboss at a low level, I want to see if I can do it through sheer bruteforce.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I like going to it like going up against a superboss at a low level, I want to see if I can do it through sheer bruteforce.
I think you're just wasting your time.

All people ever do on the RTC thread is this:
"Rate my own wants high. Rate those against my want low."

And honestly, the entire RTC thread is pointless because of this.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I keep forgetting about the RTC thread. I like it in theory, it's speculation and rating chances for fun, but I've only been there a few times, so I can't say I really know what goes on there XD

I s'pose that makes sense, most people are biased. That's too bad.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That's stupid.
RTC is full of toxic and biased people. Why would you let those people get to you?
As if their words are gospel...

The reality is simple: We have 5 unknown characters still and Shantae could be one of them.
Anything RTC people spout to say she has no chance, is the age-old, pointless war on the internet, for "internet points" and "ego flexing".
If people actually think their speculation affects reality in any way, they are straight up insane.
Because I was reminded that a character I keep touting as a potential darkhorse (Re: Reimu) wouldn't be at 80%. If they're that likely, they're not a darkhorse anymore.
Here's some advice from me about the RTC thread:

Don't go to it, ever.

You'll be saner for it.
Your first mistake was expecting me to be sane in the first place.

Indeed, this is true. I rated Reimu Hakurei an 80% in the same rating that claimed she would be the pass' darkhorse. Darkhorses don't get 80% ratings.

I did suggest a thread for people to sell you on a fighter and their games that you know jacksquat about, but that hasn't quite picked up yet. I was going to make a rough draft for the rules, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
So I need to keep expectations in check so it doesn't blow up in my face if I'm wrong.
I will never get that mindset.

Being hopeful...
Being ok if it doesn't happen...
You act like these are mutually exclusive.
But they are not.

It is possible to be hopeful for a character, without feeling crushed, if reality ends up being different.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Think I'll just jump off here. The debates' going nowhere, I'm not really engaged or interested in proving my point anyways, and it's in a thread I have unwatched whenever I post, on a character I'm becoming increasingly neutral about. See ya.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I will never get that mindset.

Being hopeful...
Being ok if it doesn't happen...
You act like these are mutually exclusive.
But they are not.

It is possible to be hopeful for a character, without feeling crushed, if reality ends up being different.
They aren't, but you always forget human emotion. People are a MESS. ;p

It's like heartbreak, of course it's going to hurt when you really want something, it means something to you. It's hard to be ok with things not working out, you want them to. And because people get too invested in what they want getting into smash, well, there you go, they can get crushed, and then they start forming defenses to keep themselves from hurting, I hear a lot of people say they want low expectations so they dont get disappointed. Well see that's not a good method, because the impact doesn't hurt as much but you lower your positive feelings about what you like.
It's not a great way to do things, but people just aren't able to put themselves in the middle easily when they're invested in something.

Sometimes you get people who try to temper expectations, and that can be good too, because look at the geno thread, they're a train crash waiting to happen when Geno doesn't make it in. But there's nothing wrong with being positive about chances :) So long as, like you said, you're ok with it not happening, or ok with processing the sad feelings. Somewhere out there is a balance XD

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
They aren't, but you always forget human emotion. People are a MESS. ;p
That doesn't excuse or justify behavior, that is completely unwarranted.

It's like heartbreak, of course it's going to hurt when you really want something,
Not over a freaking game.
You must be taking video games way too seriously, if things like these actually cause heartbreak..

it means something to you. It's hard to be ok with things not working out, you want them to.
I can. And I'm sure there are plenty of other people, who would be fine as well.
Why can't you?

And because people get too invested in what they want getting into smash, well, there you go, they can get crushed, and then they start forming defenses to keep themselves from hurting,
Then there's something wrong with them, sorry to say.
I get being emotionally invested in a game and what's happening in it.
But there is a point, where it just goes too far.
If you get hurt over this, just as much as with things like IRL break ups or even loss...
That's just not healthy.
Again, you're taking games way more seriously than you should.
It's just a game in the end. Nothing that is an actual Life or Death situation.

I hear a lot of people say they want low expectations so they dont get disappointed. Well see that's not a good method, because the impact doesn't hurt as much but you lower your positive feelings about what you like.
That doesn't make any sense.
Again, why would you let yourself get hurt so much, over a petty thing like this?!

It's not a great way to do things, but people just aren't able to put themselves in the middle easily when they're invested in something.
Why?
I can. So why can't they?

Sometimes you get people who try to temper expectations, and that can be good too, because look at the geno thread, they're a train crash waiting to happen when Geno doesn't make it in. But there's nothing wrong with being positive about chances :) So long as, like you said, you're ok with it not happening, or ok with processing the sad feelings. Somewhere out there is a balance XD
It's all stupid, really.

My stance on it, is simply this.
Smash is unpredictable, literally any video game character has a chance.
And characters like Terry Bogard or Byleth only cement the unpredictability of Smash.
So all speculation becomes utterly pointless.

Again, the fact is simply this: 5 unknown characters, that could be any video game character.
Including Shantae.
I'm hopeful for her, but I'm also not going to lose sleep over it, if she doesn't make it in in the end.
Again, it's just a freaking game. Not a matter of literal survival.

I'm just tired of this needlessly negative talk bringing the mood down for no reason.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ohhh, I didn't think what I said would turn into a sort of debate :p

That doesn't excuse or justify behavior, that is completely unwarranted.
I wouldn't call it conscious behaviour, more like human nature. I do think that we can all improve, but it does take to be understanding of how people can be. It's not something that can change overnight, and for some it might not even get that much better over their entire life. Definitely don't mind promoting healthy ways of being though.

Not over a freaking game.
You must be taking video games way too seriously, if things like these actually cause heartbreak..
Yup. I won't deny that, lol. You know what's funny, During the more heated speculation times, I was going through a lot, and the smash stuff was a kind of outlet for me. I can understand why I got disappointed, with how much i invested in just.. like you say, a game, but somehow others were invested even more than me, so it tells me that.. well, lots of people aren't smart about what they invest their feelings into. But if they didn't have much going in their lives, maybe it explains it. It's obviously not as strong as a heartbreak, that was just an extreme example, but look at how people react when things happen, lots of people obviously invest a lot into it, more than would be healthy. (Maybe some needed to, for whatever reason of what's going on in their lives)

I can. And I'm sure there are plenty of other people, who would be fine as well.
Why can't you?
Oh I'm fine at this point, I put my feelings into other things than just what's coming to smash. Plenty of people are fine, but plenty aren't :p It's expected, because of how humans are. That's mostly what I'm trying to say. It's not good to compare others to how you are. Everyone's different.

Then there's something wrong with them, sorry to say.
I get being emotionally invested in a game and what's happening in it.
But there is a point, where it just goes too far.
If you get hurt over this, just as much as with things like IRL break ups or even loss...
That's just not healthy.
Again, you're taking games way more seriously than you should.
It's just a game in the end. Nothing that is an actual Life or Death situation.
Sure. There's something wrong with all of us. It's being imperfect that's part of being human. We get to work on ourselves too, not everyone does though. It takes acceptance to work on something. If we go hey there's something wrong with you, it doesn't quite help people find happiness in general, if that makes sense.

That doesn't make any sense.
Again, why would you let yourself get hurt so much, over a petty thing like this?!
Because the majority of people are emotional, they don't really choose how they invest their feelings, just like when you really like something, you don't choose that it'll hurt if you lose it, it just does. It's hard to choose how you feel about things. Doesn't mean someone can't work on their happiness outside of any one thing though, especially if it's just a game.

My stance on it, is simply this.
Smash is unpredictable, literally any video game character has a chance.
And characters like Terry Bogard or Byleth only cement the unpredictability of Smash.
So all speculation becomes utterly pointless.

Again, the fact is simply this: 5 unknown characters, that could be any video game character.
Including Shantae.
I'm hopeful for her, but I'm also not going to lose sleep over it, if she doesn't make it in in the end.
Again, it's just a freaking game. Not a matter of literal survival.

I'm just tired of this needlessly negative talk bringing the mood down for no reason.
I like the stance ;p And while I do think some characters have more chance than others, sakurai or nintendo could go ahead and pick more that nobody expects. There are still things going in Shantae's favor, and I think that's neat :)

And sure, I don't like negative talk too. There's a reason I didn't visit the forum much at all at some points. I think speculation should be fun, though not that I always mind when people try to show points for why some character has more or less chance, but if it was taken more lightly, there'd be less upset in the community XD

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So anyone else deranged enough to preorder the japanese copy to get that acrylic stand?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So anyone else deranged enough to preorder the japanese copy to get that acrylic stand?
Lol nope. I thought that was fun that you wanted to order it for the stand :D Maybe you're not the only one tho ;)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Lol nope. I thought that was fun that you wanted to order it for the stand :D Maybe you're not the only one tho ;)
I can sell that Japanese copy for hopefully decent bucks when I get it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I can sell that Japanese copy for hopefully decent bucks when I get it.
I don't know how much you can get for it, but sure, lol. I still havent gotten seven sirens but I think i want the english version first.
I wonder if the japanese vers has anything interesting.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
No character should have higher than a 75% chance rating unless you have personal bias or there is an incredible amount of quality evidence for them.
I'd argue that right now no character should have higher than perhaps a 40% chance rating.

Saying anything over 50% means you think there's a higher chance of it happening than not happening and I don't really get how anyone could reasonably think that about any character right now when we've already been blindsided with the very first character for this fighter pass. (Min-Min)

We've only just started with this pass and already we were off the mark with our predictions.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I don't know how much you can get for it, but sure, lol. I still havent gotten seven sirens but I think i want the english version first.
I wonder if the japanese vers has anything interesting.
I paid 62 dollars in total, I'll be satsified if I get back at least half.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I'd argue that right now no character should have higher than perhaps a 40% chance rating.

Saying anything over 50% means you think there's a higher chance of it happening than not happening and I don't really get how anyone could reasonably think that about any character right now when we've already been blindsided with the very first character for this fighter pass. (Min-Min)

We've only just started with this pass and already we were off the mark with our predictions.
In regards to playable status, there are ultimately only two possible outcomes: Added or Not Added
So really, it's always a 50% chance in my eyes.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Uh...fellas? Would a new person in the thread help moral? ^^:

Look. I dunno whats goin' on with hype, but i'll say this: The "Hype responsibly" thing is trash. No one has the right to tell you how much hope to invest. As long as you're ok with risking that equal disappointment, go for it! Life is meant to be lived, and you should live it in hope, not fear! :)

Here, i'll even help!

From a Geno server im in:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to playable status, there are ultimately only two possible outcomes: Added or Not Added
So really, it's always a 50% chance in my eyes.
Pretty much. It doesn't matter how likely or unlikely anyone is considered to be (even joke suggestions), every game character's chances of getting in or not are equal.

Also, the actual term is 50/50.

Uh...fellas? Would a new person in the thread help moral? ^^:

Look. I dunno whats goin' on with hype, but i'll say this: The "Hype responsibly" thing is trash. No one has the right to tell you how much hope to invest. As long as you're ok with risking that equal disappointment, go for it! Life is meant to be lived, and you should live it in hope, not fear! :)

Here, i'll even help!

From a Geno server im in:

Personally, I'm all for "Be open to any possibility". Which too few people are.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Until Challenger 7 is revealed, anything goes.

As for the Mii Costume of being special, who do you think is next?
Wave 3: Sans (Undertale)
Wave 5: Cuphead (Cuphead)
Wave 6: Vault boy (Fallout)

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Until Challenger 7 is revealed, anything goes.

As for the Mii Costume of being special, who do you think is next?
Wave 3: Sans (Undertale)
Wave 5: Cuphead (Cuphead)
Wave 6: Vault boy (Fallout)
I could see Steve working for a Mii Swordsman. I don't think he has enough to work as a real fighter, particularly his animations, but I could see them making a mii costume work well enough for him.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I agree with you. And no character right now even has 40% to be in. That's way too high. 50% would mean that if we flip a coin, we have 1 in 2 chance to get that character in smash, which is obviously not the case. No character has that strong of chances to get into smash, that we know of.

I've seen some popular characters being mentioned in the newcomer thread, and I don't think any of them have more chance than 5%, the way I see it. And that's still high. I have a feeling that we might not see the characters people think we will.

I think the characters that have some chance and that I would like to see in are Bandana Dee and Shantae. I don't really care for Ryu, Crash, Rayman, Steve and some of the others. I'm pretty pessimistic about Reimu, and Sora would be a love and hate kinda deal for me XD

Last edited:
Top Bottom