• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Rivals of Aether? We know the Definitive Edition's coming to the Switch and Steam in September, so if they're going to announce a release date, now seems like it's as good of a time as any.

People are speculating that we'll get news on Hollow Knight Silksong, but I think they speculate that after every Direct announcement unless it's specific to one game. I doubt we'd get an Ori and the Will of the Wisps announcement, though it would be great if we did.

Does Scott Pilgrim count as indie? (I just want that game to be re-released)
Kind of? At least we do know that O'Malley got contacted by Ubi, post-staff sacking.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Eastward is the one I'm looking forward to the most. If you haven't seen the trailer for it yet, go watch it.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I do find it most admirable that the Japanese side are going so all-in with the Shantae, at least moreso than usual. It gives me good hope that eventually she will be as big a character as some others like Crash. Though a large part of it will also rely on WayForward doing what they need to do in order to make sure that Shantae becomes better with time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, they haven't gone backwards too often on their milestones yet.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well, they haven't gone backwards too often on their milestones yet.

assuming every game gets one, we'll have 27 total, then we'll need to see if they do anything else.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Okay does anyone know why there are two versions of the Shantae Switch version on Amazon Japan? One is around 5000 yen and the other is 6000 yen? I dont see a difference, well I mean...I cnat read their language so that obvious.

Nevermind figured it out. lso I'm insane and preordered a japanese copy to get the acryllic stand, gonna sell that japanese copy to my local game store when I get it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, as far as Indie Worlds went, it was okay. Really strange for Dan Fornace to be so silent on the lack of a release date for Rivals of Aether (sorry Megadoomer Megadoomer ).

Pretty good for Hades and Hypnospace Outlaw to get ported, though. I've been wanting to try the former, in particular.

Also, remember that we're most likely got to get more news by the end of the month/middle of September:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, as far as Indie Worlds went, it was okay. Really strange for Dan Fornace to be so silent on the lack of a release date for Rivals of Aether (sorry Megadoomer Megadoomer ).
I wasn't sure how likely it was, since these indie directs seem to be used for new announcements rather than updates for already-announced games. (I'm pretty sure we didn't get any updates on Shovel Knight's King Knight expansion through an indie direct when that was coming out)

Raji looks neat, I might pick up Evergate (it may have a lot of similarities to Ori and the Blind Forest going by the trailer, but if it's even half as good as Ori, I'll enjoy it), and co-op multiplayer for Untitled Goose Game seems like it will be fun to try out. (I figured they'd save it for a sequel, rather than having it as a free update for the game)

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think it is better that smaller indie game companies will show up more often for Indie direct rather than the well known ones. Besides, they could do their own presentation like how Yacht Club did it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a side note, A Short Walk had probably the nicest visuals out of everything. It looks fun to breeze around as a bird.

I think it is better that smaller indie game companies will show up more often for Indie direct rather than the well known ones. Besides, they could do their own presentation like how Yacht Club did it.
Or just shadow-drop things like WF does.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
On a side note, A Short Walk had probably the nicest visuals out of everything. It looks fun to breeze around as a bird.

Or just shadow-drop things like WF does.
It's graphics reminded me of the DS Zelda games for some reason. Overall, there were a lot of very interesting games shown off. Not sure any of them are ones I will be in a rush to play, but lots of them are on my radar now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dang, looks like I missed an indie presentation :p
Where do people go to keep up with news and upcoming streams and all that?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I visit youtube quite a bit, but i dont have anything giving me the latest, besides being subbed to gameexplain, which will have a little around nintendo.
just frequent /v/ on 4chan and twitter, and you'll never lose track of important game stuff ever.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
just frequent /v/ on 4chan and twitter, and you'll never lose track of important game stuff ever.
lol. 4chan isn't exactly somewhere I want to frequent XD

Nintendo's Twitter page and all of the Nintendo news pages that come with it lol.
I guess there isn't really a good centralized place to get everything these days. I do mostly look at nintendo stuff, but I'm also a pc gamer.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Dang, looks like I missed an indie presentation :p
Where do people go to keep up with news and upcoming streams and all that?
Nintendo Life. Surely, you had to have noticed that by now, since I link to that place often enough.

but I'm also a pc gamer.
Oh, well that explains everything.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Maybe its just me but I notice a lot more Shantae support on /v/ recently then in the past few weeks/months.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So Wayforward did another Milestone and it was...Vitamin Connection

thy just skipped OVER Might Switch Force Collection, River City Girls and Seven Sirens ( but I suppose they could be counting the console release for SS as the TRUE release) but that still doesn't explain skipping RCG. I could see MSFC as its just a collection maybe.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

thy just skipped OVER Might Switch Force Collection, River City Girls and Seven Sirens ( but I suppose they could be counting the console release for SS as the TRUE release) but that still doesn't explain skipping RCG. I could see MSFC as its just a collection maybe.
Maybe it's random order. i dunno ;p

i just hope they cover good stuff 🦋

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005

River City Girls was Milestone #20:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Thinking about Shantae's inclusion, I've been wondering about the music selection.

If I were to pick, it would be the following:

01. Rise and Shine
Origin: Shantae and the Seven Sirens
Full version.

02. Scuttle Town
Origin: Shantae
New Remix.

03. We Love Burning Town
Origin: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

04. Boss Medley
Origin: Shantae series
Mixture of Boss themes from Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero and Shantae and the Seven Sirens.
Squid Baron's battle theme also included in the mix.

05. Risky Boots
Medley of Risky Boots theme from Shantae and the Seven Sirens and a remix of her battle theme from the original Shantae game.

06. Trip through Sequin Land

07. The Sky Bridge
Origin: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

08. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Credits)

09. Dynamo

10. Paradise Island
Medley of Arena Town, Tree Town, and Armor Town themes.
New Remix.

11. [REDACTED]
The Final Battle
Final Boss theme, phase 2

12. Shantae and the Seven Sirens (Credits)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Thinking about Shantae's inclusion, I've been wondering about the music selection.

If I were to pick, it would be the following:

01. Rise and Shine
Full version.

02. Scuttle Town
Origin: Shantae
New Remix.

03. We Love Burning Town

04. Boss Medley
Mixture of Boss themes from Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero and Shantae and the Seven Sirens.
Squid Baron's battle theme also included in the mix.

05. Risky Boots
Medley of Risky Boots theme from Shantae and the Seven Sirens and a remix of her battle theme from the original Shantae game.

06. Trip through Sequin Land

07. The Sky Bridge

08. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Credits)

09. Dynamo

10. Paradise Island
Medley of Arena Town, Tree Town, and Armor Town themes.
New Remix.

11. [REDACTED]
The Final Battle
Final Boss theme, phase 2

12. Shantae and the Seven Sirens (Credits)
If there is going to be a medley, it's probably going to be one of Pirate's Curse with it's title screen, file select and sailing. The boss themes are all a bit too long too compress in one, unlike the ones used for Kirby's.

The main songs I want from Seven Sirens are the West Island themes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just as I expected, they're already getting to Vitamin Connection. The only recent titles left are Seven Sirens...and Bakugan. 🥶

So unless they go backwards or suddenly reveal some new projects, I don't know how they'll fill the 8 remaining milestones.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just as I expected, they're already getting to Vitamin Connection. The only recent titles left are Seven Sirens...and Bakugan. 🥶

So unless they go backwards or suddenly reveal some new projects, I don't know how they'll fill the 8 remaining milestones.
If they put Bakugan in there I'll smack 'em XD
Well whatever, if for them it's a milestone, good for them.

milestone 30 has got to be a special one right? :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Theres no confirmation its going to be 30 total or that 30 will be something special.
It would be rather odd to end a countdown for a 30-year celebration, with a hashtag of Wayforward30 on any random number that's lower than that.

Besides, they still have some older games they didn't cover yet on the countdown, they can fill up the space easily.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I might be forgetting, but has Shantae's reveal as a spirit been counted among the milestones? If not then time wise they have already passed that up since that happened long before Vitamin Connection.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I might be forgetting, but has Shantae's reveal as a spirit been counted among the milestones? If not then time wise they have already passed that up since that happened long before Vitamin Connection.
They haven't, which is why we thought it was interesting, including that they just havent mentioned smash at all since she was released as a spirit.

And yeah the milestones dont seem in a particular order..

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That hasn't been covered even once, so far. They'll almost certainly need to go backwards, since many games got skipped over (Mighty Milky Way being the most glaring omission).

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
They haven't, which is why we thought it was interesting, including that they just havent mentioned smash at all since she was released as a spirit.

And yeah the milestones dont seem in a particular order..
That is interesting. I can understand dodging questions about Smash, because even if she wasn't in Smash they wouldn't want to say anything that could get fans hope up only to dash them. Even saying she wasn't in Smash would get people going "Oh but Kirkhope said the same thing about Banjo" just like how the Dante fans currently are doing (Not saying Dante isn't in, but he is an example of a creators saying no and fans still not believing because of Kirkhope)

However, not mentioning something as big as a cameo in a big game like Smash would be odd when you are counting past achievements. The plot thickens.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That is interesting. I can understand dodging questions about Smash, because even if she wasn't in Smash they wouldn't want to say anything that could get fans hope up only to dash them. Even saying she wasn't in Smash would get people going "Oh but Kirkhope said the same thing about Banjo" just like how the Dante fans currently are doing (Not saying Dante isn't in, but he is an example of a creators saying no and fans still not believing because of Kirkhope)

However, not mentioning something as big as a cameo in a big game like Smash would be odd when you are counting past achievements. The plot thickens.
It's actually a huge milestone, so if they're saving it up, I wonder why :p
Last time WF was quiet about smash, she ended up as a spirit. Before that they were vocal about smash. And why not comment about it now? Of course, it could be for any kind of reason, but it still gives a bit of hope that maybe there's a good reason for it XD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, we don't know why until they get there, so I guess we'll see soon. One thing for sure is that they've been speeding up the countdown real quickly, as of late.

Given what happened with Resident Evil, it wouldn't surprise me if Dante isn't in.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well, we don't know why until they get there, so I guess we'll see soon. One thing for sure is that they've been speeding up the countdown real quickly, as of late.

Given what happened with Resident Evil, it wouldn't surprise me if Dante isn't in.
Have they been speeding it up?

Top Bottom