• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Have they been speeding it up?
Well, yeah. Before this, it was more or less on a monthly or bi-weekly basis. Now we're in August and they've already burned through five of them this month.

It's like they're in Gradius and just entered a speed zone.

While they did stuff for Konami before, I just wanted an excuse to post this since I just took a listen to it.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
While I still want Shantae for Smash Ultimate, my wanted list has added a certain marsupial with his latest release coming soon. I do hope Nintendo shows more info with a direct soon and challenger 7.

It's About Time
Man, the Crash games on Platforming is HARD. Something I'll enjoy (Hopefully I don't burn out from too many deaths). Of course, not ready for switch release yet.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
While I still want Shantae for Smash Ultimate, my wanted list has added a certain marsupial with his latest release coming soon. I do hope Nintendo shows more info with a direct soon and challenger 7.

It's About Time
Man, the Crash games on Platforming is HARD. Something I'll enjoy (Hopefully I don't burn out from too many deaths). Of course, not ready for switch release yet.
I barely played crash games, so I don't have any attachment to the character, but there's stil 5 slots left for dlc XD so you can have quite a few characters to root for ;p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
PapaGenos Discord did a recent ballot for who people think are likely/who they want the most for the second Fighter Pass. The results are quite positive for the half genie hero
It's cool that she's up there, but I don't really like polls that are centralized around a fanbase XD Of course geno would be in the top because of it. I'm surprised Crash is so high, but I guess there being a new crash game got into people's awareness.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's cool that she's up there, but I don't really like polls that are centralized around a fanbase XD Of course geno would be in the top because of it. I'm surprised Crash is so high, but I guess there being a new crash game got into people's awareness.
Crash has been pretty popular as of late. His main draw seems to be his iconic status from the console war era, which is admittedly a pretty good thing to have going for you.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Crash has been pretty popular as of late. His main draw seems to be his iconic status from the console war era, which is admittedly a pretty good thing to have going for you.
I do think Crash is iconic. I just never really got into those games. If he makes it in, I'll understand, and I'm sure quite a few people will like it, but personally I'd rather see someone else get in ;p

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
That is interesting. I can understand dodging questions about Smash, because even if she wasn't in Smash they wouldn't want to say anything that could get fans hope up only to dash them. Even saying she wasn't in Smash would get people going "Oh but Kirkhope said the same thing about Banjo" just like how the Dante fans currently are doing (Not saying Dante isn't in, but he is an example of a creators saying no and fans still not believing because of Kirkhope)

However, not mentioning something as big as a cameo in a big game like Smash would be odd when you are counting past achievements. The plot thickens.
Actually, WayForward didn't straight up say "Shantae isn't in Smash".
They just said "It would be nice to have her in.",
Which really doesn't confirm anything, nor is it declarative of any kind.
It just seems like "Gotta give em some answer" response.

Did Kirkhope actually straight up say "Banjo and Kazooie are not in."?
Or did he go with a similar wording as WayForward did?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think some research is needed for this. To the time machine!

Okay, so far I can find some comments that are pretty much him openly messing with people, so it was probably a case of telephone game (one of many).

Although he did not believe the Grinch leak for one second.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Actually, WayForward didn't straight up say "Shantae isn't in Smash".
They just said "It would be nice to have her in.",
Which really doesn't confirm anything, nor is it declarative of any kind.
It just seems like "Gotta give em some answer" response.

He said "I wouldn't get your hopes up" when asked about Banjo & Kazooie on Twitter. I don't have a link to the tweet right now but someone's bound to track it down.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
As far as I can see, it's still very dodgy talk.
Not once did Kirkhope say "They're not in Smash."
And no, I don't count a "Wouldn't hold my breath." as a straight up "They're not in.".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, no one has ever straight up said "no" at any point in the last two years. Everyone is in the same boat of "cannot confirm nor deny".

The main difference between Kirkhope and WF is that the former doesn't hesitate to respond to fans, while WF has said almost nothing on the subject.

While it's fine to keep expectations in check, it's definitely odd for them to not count the Ultimate spirit within the earlier milestones.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel like going over what someone has said/has not said can become a hassle as so many factors affect it (whether they are in the know or not, whether they are under NDA, whether they just choose not to say anything to not raise (false) hopes, whether they’re just lying...). I want Shantae in as much as the next, but I don’t think WF not talking about Smash means much really, in any way or another.

But all of this is just speculation so it’s fine I guess.

I’ll see how the rest of the milestones WF put up turn out. And even then if no mention of Smash (even Shantae’s spirit) comes up, a reason for it could be just them wanting to focus on their own games or games they’ve co-developed as they seem to have been with the milestones so far.

Truthfully, if I were a game company/developer, I’d be hesitant to comment about Smash even the slightest as the fans can get crazy and take stuff out of proportion lol.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I suppose randomly sending some snapshots to do as they please with doesn't come off as much of an accomplishment compared to game development.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like going over what someone has said/has not said can become a hassle as so many factors affect it (whether they are in the know or not, whether they are under NDA, whether they just choose not to say anything to not raise (false) hopes, whether they’re just lying...). I want Shantae in as much as the next, but I don’t think WF not talking about Smash means much really, in any way or another.

I’ll see how the rest of the milestones WF put up turn out. And even then if no mention of Smash (even Shantae’s spirit) comes up, a reason for it could be just them wanting to focus on their own games or games they’ve co-developed as they seem to have been with the milestones so far.

Truthfully, if I were a game company/developer, I’d be hesitant to comment about Smash even the slightest as the fans can get crazy and take stuff out of proportion lol.
Even without all the Smash stuff, the way they've been going at it with the milestones is weird. A bunch of games are arbitrarily skipped over for no reason (like Adventure Time and the goddamn Batman: The Brave & The Bold game, and even WF IPs aren't exempted, as Mighty Milky Way can attest), and after pacing themselves for months at a time, they suddenly go on fast-forward on August, even though we haven't even entered the last quarter of their anniversary year. Now we're almost out of recent games in the countdown, and we're still 8 away from the Big 30.

If you ask me, they might be doing surprise game reveals, and that's if they don't cover their older games again. When it comes to new game announcements, they're almost as secretive as Nintendo.

One thing for sure is though, they can be silent if ordered to, like when we didn't know about Seven Sirens' timed-exclusive episodic Apple release.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

All we have been saying really, is that WayForward hasn't straight up said "No",
So it's still up in the air, when it comes to Shantae in Smash.

The way they handle Milestones though is very wierd...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Staarih Staarih of course it means something, they don't even respond to fans about it, and I think that's quite odd. Can't know why they're quiet about it, but it's enough to wonder about. We don't have much to go on this time around, so little things can be cool to see.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In the meantime, is there any significant date that would prompt them to go this fast? Can't be November 1st (spirit reveal), since that's a couple months off from now.

I would have thought the 27th of this month, but I doubt they'd show up at Gamescom.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hmm, well at the current pace, how long would it take them to reach 30? I wonder

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I don't think 30 is going to be a specific milestone I've tweeted to WF twice (forgot about the first tweet initially) and both times they responded saying they dont have any big plans for these milestones. nothing leading up to something no specific number, so I'm going to trust that for now to not hype myself up needlessly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So what, they'll just keep counting past 30 until the year ends?

I don't think this countdown was thought through. They should have saved the recent games for later, rather than now. If they are going to keep doing this anyway, then at the very least they should go back to cover some of the games they needlessly skipped over, like Mighty Milky Way, Adventure Time, Brave and the Bold, and Aliens: Infestation.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mmm, it still makes more sense that this is a 30 milestone countdown that has some sort of meaning to it, even if they don't consider it to be 'big plans'.

Staarih

Smash Master
So what, they'll just keep counting past 30 until the year ends?

I don't think this countdown was thought through. They should have saved the recent games for later, rather than now. If they are going to keep doing this anyway, then at the very least they should go back to cover some of the games they needlessly skipped over, like Mighty Milky Way, Adventure Time, Brave and the Bold, and Aliens: Infestation.
Feels like they’re literally just winging it, putting one up whenever they feel like it or get an idea for one. The Shantae milestones were kinda here and there too, you’d think they would have begun the whole thing with their flagship franchise. Definitely gives the vibes of it not being anything serious or much thought put into it. They’ve come out quite irregularly so even though it now feels like the pace is up, I wouldn’t be surprised if the next milestone comes in like, a month or two, if they really want just 8 more for the rest of the year.

I’d totally welcome like a new game announcement from them or something though. I just doubt this whole thing has any connections to Smash, but what do I know haha? A mention of the spirits in Smash would make for an easy milestone though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's weird since the Shantae and Risky Boots spirits have been known for nearly 2 years now. I think they wouldn't be so silent if that was all there was to it
I wish I could say the same. But I feel like if Shantae doesn't get promoted into a playable character, than they ain't going to say anything else about the Shantae and Risky Spirits or mention Shantae in Smash. I feel like those Spirits are all we are getting if she isn't in the DLC lineup. I think Shantae has a decent chance though since she did really well in the Smash Ballot years ago.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It still feels kind of off to mostly pretend that Smash doesn't exist, especially with Yacht Club Games being more than proud to show off or talk about the Shovel Knight AT (you know, the thing that's considered more of a death knell than a spirit). The most acknowledgement WF ever did was those April Fools jokes. I'm still disappointed that Beetrix will never see actual use for anything.

D3Fe2ajXkAEaU8L.jpg

I’d totally welcome like a new game announcement from them or something though.
That's basically and mainly what I'm expecting at this stage. If nothing happens by the end of this countdown, then this whole thing really should have been organized better than randomly shunting the recent games before the final part of the countdown for no reason other than promoting one of their hundreds of special sales.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah no it's definitely strange not to mention anything at all. But it's the only thing we have going, besides the usual stuff (more popularity and games on switch), so it's not like I put her chances as super high or anything, just open to it being possible :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah no it's definitely strange not to mention anything at all. But it's the only thing we have going, besides the usual stuff (more popularity and games on switch), so it's not like I put her chances as super high or anything, just open to it being possible :)
I'm just saying that it's weird to act this way even if it doesn't mean anything for her chances, is all. They could at least say that it's a shame she's not playable, or at the very least say she was never in the cards but hoping she might become playable someday. Even just putting it in the milestones would be enough.

She's likely not gonna be playable any time soon, fair enough. But mention the damn spirit, at least, you'd think that'd be a big enough deal by their standards. Wouldn't be surprised if it's simply considered "yet another regular guest appearance" along the lines of Blaster Master Zero, Indivisible and Hyper Light Drifter.

No, really, shouldn't the guest appearances be considered milestones at all?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm just saying that it's weird to act this way even if it doesn't mean anything for her chances, is all. They could at least say that it's a shame she's not playable, or at the very least say she was never in the cards but hoping she might become playable someday. Even just putting it in the milestones would be enough.

She's likely not gonna be playable any time soon, fair enough. But mention the damn spirit, at least, you'd think that'd be a big enough deal by their standards. Wouldn't be surprised if it's simply considered "yet another regular guest appearance" along the lines of Blaster Master Zero, Indivisible and Hyper Light Drifter.

No, really, shouldn't the guest appearances be considered milestones at all?
Oh. Yeah if she doesn't have anything else in smash, it's very very strange. Last time this happened though (before the spirit reveal), I was saying how mad I'd be at them if there was nothing and they went silent for nothing, lol. I was both disappointed and happy that she made it as a spirit because a part of me didn't think she really could make it in, but another wanted to believe.

Anyway, there was still a reason they didn't talk :p, the spirit still had them in an NDA. So for me that's good enough to dream lol. Doesn't matter if she doesn't make it in, I just want a reason to have some openness to it being possible she's in as a fighter.

Guest appearances... are nice, but unless it's a big title, maybe it's not worth mentioning. dunno.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While I don't see Shantae's chances being that great to make it into this game, it would be a dream come true for her to make into Ultimate's roster. Imagine how much more popular our girl would get with being the playable Indie rep in Smash. She would have quite the attention.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Seriously, guys?
What happened to "her chances are greater than ever!"?

That is what you guys said with the reveal of Min Min.
Which is the thing that shattered the "Spirits can't become characters" rule.
Our spirits were high then.

Ever since then, no new characters were announced.
And nothing happened that could affect her chances one bit.
5 characters are still remaining.

Yet suddenly you say "Her chances are slim..."?
What on Earth happened!?

Top Bottom